My no-buy or low/buy goals for 2013/2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am new to this community and I am delighted to have found this support forum, it's just the thing a shopaholic make up lover like me needs.

My goals are to limit make up, skincare and hair product purchases to replacing things that I run out of that I know I will definitely use. Also I need to part with products I am not happy with and try to switch up my routine a bit so that I get to use all the products I own, sometimes I find myself going for the same lip colour every day and let the rest of them go unused.

I have a similar problem. Pretty much everyday I use the same products on my face and eyes. Like literally the same exact products. For my lips I must have 20 different products but I rotate between the same 5. I have realized most of my stuff is just taking up much needed space in my bathroom, but since many of my products were expensive, I can't bring myself to toss them.

This morning I went through my make up case and used my Clinique chubby stick eye shadow, the cranberry kind of colour, can't remember the name... I had bought it ages ago and only used it a few times because it was hard to make it look good. I used it together with my naked 2 palette and wore a gold shimmer in the inner lids and the light colour as a highlighter. I also ended up using an old fave lipstick by Estee lauder.. to be honest I don't have an excess amount of make up, it is mostly eye shadows that I don't get enough use out of but for some reason I'm always tempted to buy.

Ah I need some moral support to stop my buying!

Probably in the past month I've made 4 purchases in sephora with decent size hauls. Now I'm just trying to use what I have. The approach I'm taking is using the same products (except eyeshadows) and trying to use my older products first. Hopefully I'll move through them to clear them out. They're high end so even if I don't enjoy them that much, I can't bring myself to throw them out.

I took the approach of loading up my christmas list in hopes that I'll not purchase anything for the next two months and use up a good deal of the make up I already have!

Agh its so hard not to spend with all of these holiday collections out. 

I agree with the eyeshadow usage! I'm always tempted to buy new shades and palettes but I never go through them quick enough. I have yet to hit pan on anything from my urban decay naked palette and my saint palette by Kat Von D. But then I got tempted by the tarte holiday collection and purchased a huge palette. Lack of self control.

I broke the rules >.< well kind of... I bought a Revlon bb cream( I didn't have a bb cream and I am quite happy with it for days I don't want a heavy finish), and a black make up bag that is long enough to store my brushes in.. at least I haven't bought new eyeshadow which is the thing I need to worry about the most.. the smashbox holiday collection and in particular the little snowflake palettes are so tempting though :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> has anyone seen or bought them?

Hi. I'm going to stop lurking and start no-buying. I just discovered makeup in the last year, and I've been going BUCK WILD and need to slow my roll. So my goal is to do a complete no-buy till Jan 1st, with only the following 2 exceptions: If Naked 3 comes out before then. I'm totally buying it, no-buy or not. IF I somehow use my mini Fresh Sugar Lip thingie all the way up before then, I can buy a full size because that stuff is amazing and I am in love. And THAT'S IT!!! Let's see if this helps keep me honest!

Wellp. I am terrible at this. I just bought the Fresh Sugar Stars set. But someone was nice enough to share their VIB friend code with me so it was a helluva deal. I know I don't need any more lip balm of any type but this stuff is just the absolute best. And I do love minis so much (thank you for repeatedly autocorrecting that to "ninjas", iPhone, but I've got this)--I'm done now though, really I am.

Quote: Originally Posted by mrspookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi. I'm going to stop lurking and start no-buying. I just discovered makeup in the last year, and I've been going BUCK WILD and need to slow my roll. So my goal is to do a complete no-buy till Jan 1st, with only the following 2 exceptions:
If Naked 3 comes out before then. I'm totally buying it, no-buy or not.
IF I somehow use my mini Fresh Sugar Lip thingie all the way up before then, I can buy a full size because that stuff is amazing and I am in love.

And THAT'S IT!!!

Let's see if this helps keep me honest!

I agree with you on naked 3 :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> so many pretty shades... I may have to cheat and get it... but I still haven't hit pan on my naked 2

My first goal to list for 2014: No blush except for essence trend edition stuff and whatever comes in sub boxes. I will be buying benefit Rockateur and Hervana during the next big Sephora discount window and maybe some Nyx cream sticks if Ulta has a really good sale, and I have the stila five-pan convertible color holiday set on the way, so I should be set, especially given what I already have. (I went decades specifically avoiding blush, and now I'm suddenly obsessed, so I really need to pull back pretty much *now*. I have collected something like two dozen just since February!)

Hi, I'm new to this community and man, am I glad I found this support forum! My brother is an audiophile, loves collecting high-quality headphones etc, and when he confessed to splurging an absurd amount on his latest additions, I couldn't even make disapproving noises because I've been spending the same, if not more! We had a chat about curbing our buying impulses, and I figured it was high time I committed to a no-buy/purge. Rules: -My purge deadline will be to the beginning of December, and I will have cleaned out all the clutter in my apartment and reorganize what's left by then. -My no-buy will last until New Year's Eve, and during this time I will not buy any makeup, skincare, haircare, clothes, accessories- basically, anything that I can live without. (definitely definitely no more lip products! Argh) -I'm allowed to add 1 thing every 2 days to my wish list, which I'll review and let myself get a few of those items next year. -For every day I don't purge (unless I'm away for the weekend) or for every excessive 10USD (cumulative) I spend, my penalty will be an extra week of no-buy. -Exceptions: if something on my wish list goes on sale for 1/3 or less of its usual price. Also, my box subscription. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm allowed to... -keep Ipsy -order another December subscription box if it contains a good deal -pick up Naked 3 when it comes out -keep ordering free samples from companies to curb my cravings for new products!

Hey guys!

I just wanted to jump in on this. I spent last night categorizing my purchases from the past few months (from eating out to waxing services to how much random $35+ purchases I've made at Target...)

I think I'm going to go on a no-buy for make up until I get and accept a job offer. Could be right around the corner...could be at the end of the year. Who knows. I still have a good number of months in school though. Here are my terms:

1. I can keep birchbox but when my annual sub runs out in April, I must assess how much I spend in shipping for swaps vs. cost per box before deciding to renew

2. Absolutely no lip products, no eyeshadow, no blush...pretty much no make up at all allowed

3. If I run out of BB cream or then that may be repurchased so long as a good coupon is floating around out there but I must be *totally* out and suffer for a few days.

4. No money can be spent on spa services UNLESS the Aveda school is running some crazy good deal (like $5 haircuts, which they do sometimes!) - that means, I gotta keep up my brow game all on my own! 

5. My last Sephora order will be in December when they give out gift cards IF they do that. The $ will be spent on skincare

6. Purchases from the birchbox shop are allowed so long as points and a % off coupon are used

7. I will teach myself to shop my own stash

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My first goal to list for 2014: No blush except for essence trend edition stuff and whatever comes in sub boxes. I will be buying benefit Rockateur and Hervana during the next big Sephora discount window and maybe some Nyx cream sticks if Ulta has a really good sale, and I have the stila five-pan convertible color holiday set on the way, so I should be set, especially given what I already have.

(I went decades specifically avoiding blush, and now I'm suddenly obsessed, so I really need to pull back pretty much *now*. I have collected something like two dozen just since February!)
I have something like 18-20 blushes and, considering how slow blush goes, it would probably take me something ridiculous like 35 years to finish just the ones I HAVE! Same with eyeshadows.

So my goals for 2014 are to use up all of my lotions that I have  so I can cut it down to the few I actually *like*, then get as much use out of my eyeshadows and blushes as I can. let the ones I don't like go to better homes, and finish the ones I like but don't love so I can concentrate on a very small but well curated makeup collection that I know I'll use everything up... instead of having 10's of just-like-it items. Also, ABSOLUTELY no spending. I have enough fndt and setting powder to carry me through next year. I doubt I'll need more until at least around this time in 2014. 

Latest posts

Back