Taking in new clients as a freelancer (?)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site and I have a question for fellow freelance MUAs. What is your routine for safely taking on new clients? Most of my clientele have been appointed to me by friends, family, business partners, etc.. But now I'm ready to branch out and accept new clients from surrounding cities (aka complete strangers). So I'm curious how others handle this situation. Surely I'm not the only one that worries about meeting the wrong people at the wrong place.

Typically in our field, clients reach out to us since they need our services, not the other way around. Sounds like you've got your marketing up and running, (website, comp cards, business cards, CD/DVD promo, reel, ect). I would be wary of replying to potential gigs on Craigslist. For example, Halloween and graduations are a busy time for us freelancers, as a lot of people advertise there looking for MUA's, meeting in a public place is always a safe bet if you get a bad vibe from emails or phone calls. I know you're not getting paid for your time for a meet n' greet, but that's the price for safety. For photographers, ask for a link to their book. If they don't have a book, I would walk away, especially if you're a female MUA. I've heard of a few horror story's from them, it only takes 1 or 2 bad gigs before they went straight to the agency route. If potential clients are responding to you via one if your marketing materials, chances are they are legit. But always be mindful. You're safest bet is to get repped by an agency. Sorry if this post sounds conveluded, if it is, just ask for a clarification, and I'll be more clear. Thx.

Thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I wasn't quite clear in my original post but you did answer the question I was getting at. I wasn't asking how to get new clients, but how to sort of "screen" potential clients. I stay FAR from Craigslist. I'm using Thumbtack and Gig Salad so far and I like these sites. I do like the idea of a meet and greet. Other than that I guess it's best to follow my gut. I honestly didn't give it much thought until my husband brought it up. Then I wondered if it was a common concern. Thanks again!

Ah right... Most photographers have a link to their on-line portfolio (book). Some use a third party site like say flikr or model mayhem. Ok, I understand your post now... Definitely meet n' greet in a public place like say Starbucks. Also be very wary of where the studio location is. If it's in an apartment be careful. Most good reputable shooters rent a studio space. Ok, that's photographers. Wedding consults, grad or special event make-ups, going to their place is a given, at least there'll be safety in numbers. HTH

Latest posts

Back