Making the most out of foils

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have an ideas on how to make the most out of samples, especially foils that we all seem to have lying around.

For me, I put my foils into small containers so that I can squeeze out every drop and continue to use them later. I have some empty 5 gram jars I purchased off of ebay ($8 including shipping for 25 jars) and some avery dots to label them. You could also use those empty paint holders that they usually sell by the kid's paint. Pill holders work too. Afterwards, I just wash the jars and reuse them.

I carefully prick a small hole in one side of the foil through which I get the product out. Once I see that there's almost nothing in the foil, I completely rip it and pick the remains of the product on the foil. THis way I use up 100% of the product in the foil.

I like using the little black jars that hold liquid samples when I buy LUSH products (in person, not online).  They are also great for repotting products that have broken, etc.

Quote: Originally Posted by fleurissante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I carefully prick a small hole in one side of the foil through which I get the product out. Once I see that there's almost nothing in the foil, I completely rip it and pick the remains of the product on the foil. THis way I use up 100% of the product in the foil.
Genius! I love the hole-prick Idea! That is awesome! I think that may be better than depotting into another container, because there is always that amount that sticks to whatever surface you put it in. Doing this method seems really smart because you get all the product you can get out of it, plus, whatever is stuck to the foil packet on the inside.

How do you keep the hole-prick from the air? And how do you keep it from leaking out? What do you use to prick the hole? And how do you keep the needle from pricking through to the other side? I'm so interested to know!

I'm thinking using a clean thumb-tack and maybe trying to bulge up the product to one end, and doing it quickly but gently so as not to go through to the other side.

I saw this youtuber who just did a tiny slit on one corner of the foil, and then used a barrette to fold it over a few times and keep it closed. That seems like a good idea. Also, you could use a clothespin or a little black binder clip you get at office supply stores.

I like the hole-prick idea best, though. Hmm... I guess you could put it in a baggie after the prick to keep it from drying out.

Good tips, everyone!

Back in the days when you used to be able to get samples from Sephora and Ulta stores, I'd put whatever they gave me in a better, air-tight container, and it would last pretty well. I'd use Q-tips to get out all the product, although some would soak into the cotton, so a spatula would work better.

You can purchase these 'cryovials' or 'cryogenic vials' made by Nalgene on the web. They come in tiny sizes and are perfect for keeping foil samples fresh and easy-to use, whether liquids or creams.

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I guess we could also employee these toothpaste tube savers on our foil samples:

Oh dear, I'm laughing waaay too hard at that frog's expression...

And wow, I thought I was pretty good at getting the most out of my foils, but I never thought to buy special containers.  Guess I need to step it up!

Quote: Originally Posted by dandelily /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh dear, I'm laughing waaay too hard at that frog's expression...

And wow, I thought I was pretty good at getting the most out of my foils, but I never thought to buy special containers.  Guess I need to step it up!
Hahah, I know! It's cute isn't it?

I guess whatever works for you in terms of using up foils. To be honest, I think I'll only really use them when traveling, but who knows?

Recently I tried a little pod packet of a BB cream, and was thankful that it wasn't a foil, but to be honest, I had a difficult time sealing it back up for another use- I had to use a bunch of tiny binder clips on all sides (because it was round). I never thought I'd prefer a foil packet- it being a bit easier to seal up, I think. Hehehe!

Anyway, I'm thankful for all the tips here.

Keep 'em coming, ladies! Even if they are repeat answers, it's nice to know what works for most people.

Latest posts

Back