[Wantable Changes] Attention Wantable Subscribers!!! You should read

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Please review your quiz.  I looked at mine this morning and they did add some new categories, including skin tone (default is medium).  However, your loves/likes/dislikes on the main categories might  have been reset to all likes :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Mine all were. 

Also, some categories, such as eye shadow, has more questions, so you should follow your quiz thru all the way.

Wantable also has changed the amount of items they are sending out in boxes.  I did email them to find out, but I know when I started in September, the terms clearly stated 4 to 6 items.   Now, in the November makeup box, it states 3 to 4 items.  What a difference!!  And no price drop either for us subscribers.  I highly recommend that you all email them, facebook them and ask why.  

Also, they didn't add the value of the november box, like they used to.  The september one stated "Each box is valued between $80 and $100 and includes expert application tips and tricks."

I did not receive any emails on either of these changes. 

August Description

September description from Wantable

October description - they dropped the value of the box off at this time

November - no value and they dropped the amount of items you will get

What is this?   Why would they do this? 

Is this an honest mistake or is there something else going on here?  This won't be a deal for me at this price and only getting 3-4 items that aren't 80-100 in value.  That is why I signed up - for the value that they stated. 

Now, they have dropped the value of the box AND the amount of the items, but they didn't drop the amount that they charge us.

I found a review on the november box already - you bet they dropped the price of that box by a 1/3.  3 products only.  not even 70.00 value

I am not happy with this change.  If Wantable dropped the value of our boxes by a 1/3, the price of the box should be 24.00, not 36.00

I am not sure if I want to stay with Wantable if this is the direction they are going to.

This is seriously disappointing and I may have to reconsider my sub with them. Less items of higher quality/value, I could do. Or less items/lower price, I'd be totally on board. I just tweeted them asking about it. I'll report back if I hear anything. 

ETA: I also posted on their fb page.

I'm sort of cross posting here because this thread should be geared for the cost and the reduction in items.

November:  I got MORE crappy Michael Marcus stuff (two in this box) but just four items.  Of that, the stated value from Wantable was $70.50.  Of this, $44 was the two lip products from Michael Marcus (junk eyeliner last month won't even swatch).  So the other 2 products were just $26.50.  So not only did they drop how much you get, they yet again sent the same brand.  In 6 boxes, I have mostly Michael Marcus and Caitlyn products.

Online, I found these items on my own for a mere $59.95, much lower than their $70.50 and doesn't even come close to using new customer discounts or coupon codes, etc.  I'm willing to bet I could get all these items with codes for roughly $35.  Quite disappointing considering of course, I'm paying $36, but when I signed up, the value was supposed to be at least $80 but often was $100 or more.

Not only does the photo not match my box, but the great intro with all the great things they have for November?  I didn't get a single one.

I received absolutely ZERO notification that my box was going down in value or items.  This is a pretty big change, it's not as if they just dropped a few bucks or one item.

I also did digging on some of the brands such as Michael Marcus.  I'm certainly convinced at this point, it is merely relabeled China junk you can get en masse on a number of mass order sites and not actually an independent cosmetics line.  It's like they have one good brand with one lower priced item thrown in now with lower quality, lesser/unknown cosmetics that aren't nearly worth what they say.

Quote: Originally Posted by Seola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm sort of cross posting here because this thread should be geared for the cost and the reduction in items.

November:  I got MORE crappy Michael Marcus stuff (two in this box) but just four items.  Of that, the stated value from Wantable was $70.50.  Of this, $44 was the two lip products from Michael Marcus (junk eyeliner last month won't even swatch).  So the other 2 products were just $26.50.  So not only did they drop how much you get, they yet again sent the same brand.  In 6 boxes, I have mostly Michael Marcus and Caitlyn products.

Online, I found these items on my own for a mere $59.95, much lower than their $70.50 and doesn't even come close to using new customer discounts or coupon codes, etc.  I'm willing to bet I could get all these items with codes for roughly $35.  Quite disappointing considering of course, I'm paying $36, but when I signed up, the value was supposed to be at least $80 but often was $100 or more.

Not only does the photo not match my box, but the great intro with all the great things they have for November?  I didn't get a single one.

I received absolutely ZERO notification that my box was going down in value or items.  This is a pretty big change, it's not as if they just dropped a few bucks or one item.

I also did digging on some of the brands such as Michael Marcus.  I'm certainly convinced at this point, it is merely relabeled China junk you can get en masse on a number of mass order sites and not actually an independent cosmetics line.  It's like they have one good brand with one lower priced item thrown in now with lower quality, lesser/unknown cosmetics that aren't nearly worth what they say.

I haven't been too impressed with Michael Marcus either and Cailyn is definitely an overpriced plc line. You can get the exact same gel eyeliners that Cailyn sells from Coastal Scents. That being said, I have been impressed with some of the other brands they have sent to me such as Whip Hand, Besame, and Lise Watier.

That we received no notification definitely rubs me the wrong way and I think they'll definitely feel some backlash from that. People tend to notice when their boxes go from 6 items down to 3. 
icon_neutral.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by MissTrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't been too impressed with Michael Marcus either and Cailyn is definitely an overpriced plc line. You can get the exact same gel eyeliners that Cailyn sells from Coastal Scents. That being said, I have been impressed with some of the other brands they have sent to me such as Whip Hand, Besame, and Lise Watier.

That we received no notification definitely rubs me the wrong way and I think they'll definitely feel some backlash from that. People tend to notice when their boxes go from 6 items down to 3. 
icon_neutral.gif

Unfortunately, I've only gotten one Besame item that was good.  The other was on my dislike list and I shouldn't have gotten it so I didn't use it.  I have had no Whip Hand items.  I do like the one Lise Watier eye compact I got last month but it was the one good item in a sea of not-so-great other items.  The first few boxes were good brands and a good value.  I like to search each item in the box to know if what they tell me is the true cost.  It started out that way, but the last two months for certain, it was not the value I could find easily online and was overstated by Wantable.

don't forget to redo your quiz.   No notice that they were adding categories and my loves/dislikes defaulted back to all likes :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by biancardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  don't forget to redo your quiz.   No notice that they were adding categories and my loves/dislikes defaulted back to all likes :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My quiz answers from before stayed exactly the same. The only categories that defaulted to like were the new ones they added. I definitely recommend that others check their own.

I got my November box the other day but have yet to do a blog post about it. (This site keeps me busy. lol)

I received:

1. Lise Watier Ombred Souffle Supreme sample, retail $0
  2. True Color Lip Cream in Barely There (it lights up!), retail $22
  3. Loose blush in Amorous by Brazen, retail $19
  4. Heaven's Dust in Angel Gold by Girlactik Beauty, retail $19

Total box retail value: $60

This is my first "paid" box from them after reviewing (and loving) their Halloween limited edition box. When I mean "paid" I actually had a $35 credit plus a discount so the box was free again (and I have a $3 credit for next month). It's still my first "real" box with them outside the Halloween LE box and so I'm happy however I can understand why people aren't when they use to get more products at a higher value. Still, they do a have a money back guarantee so if you don't like your box you can always return it. Very few beauty subscription services offer that guarantee.

yeah, that isn't the type of box that folks signed up for - the boxes are supposed to be 80-100 value.    This is a complete disappointment for me, as Wantable was one of the better values and now they have totally changed their model without notice.

Yes, they do offer a money back guarantee, but I guess for me this is beyond not liking the box, but now it is what they had offered all year long and just did a switch a roo.

It will be interesting to see if those who aren't newly sub'd get  their normal box or this now cheaper version of the box.  

yeah, that isn't the type of box that folks signed up for - the boxes are supposed to be 80-100 value.    This is a complete disappointment for me, as Wantable was one of the better values and now they have totally changed their model without notice.

Yes, they do offer a money back guarantee, but I guess for me this is beyond not liking the box, but now it is what they had offered all year long and just did a switch a roo.

It will be interesting to see if those who aren't newly sub'd get  their normal box or this now cheaper version of the box.  

I've been subbed for 7 boxes, did the sub from the first box on.  I think that's why I'm more irked than anything.  I was sold on the sub giving me full size products valued at $80+.  My first box was $120+ IIRC and checked out at those prices online.  To now get a box worth half that according to them, and even cheaper during research on the internet, without so much as a "Hey, we are doing this, please unsub if you are unhappy with the change".  Or heck - even a "we cannot afford such a value at this time and we have had to circle the wagons and omit a few products to keep the boxes coming to you at a value".

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I hope they don't do different box prices for older vs newer subs.

I don't like  that they changed their terms without letting their older subs know.  That is very disingenuous.   

It will be interesting to see what they say, after a full year of them hawking the 80-100 value and 4-6 items.  I will accept the november box being substandard IF they are saying that their december box is going to be 6-7 items and worth 100.00 - 110.00 and they are going back to their normal model of 4-6 items in January.

Otherwise, if this is what they are doing - just changing the terms without letting their members know, I am dropping them.  Too bad, because they have great CS and it is a great idea, but 36.00 a month is an expensive sub for only 3 items.

Their holiday box has way more items in it & a better value (I am just not interested in it), so I don't know where they went so cheap with the november box.

I am wondering, as I have read the few reviews, if this box was just for those who didn't pay for it?

I am unsure, because you stated you had a credit, but if you never bought one from them before, how did you get a credit?  I am just so disappointed and confused why they did this.  If they cannot afford their model that they had all year long, they should have been upfront & honest to their subscribers.

And I just did a survey for them this week and gave them glowing praises!!  This was before I knew what they were doing with November.

Quote: Originally Posted by Seola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been subbed for 7 boxes, did the sub from the first box on.  I think that's why I'm more irked than anything.  I was sold on the sub giving me full size products valued at $80+.  My first box was $120+ IIRC and checked out at those prices online.  To now get a box worth half that according to them, and even cheaper during research on the internet, without so much as a "Hey, we are doing this, please unsub if you are unhappy with the change".  Or heck - even a "we cannot afford such a value at this time and we have had to circle the wagons and omit a few products to keep the boxes coming to you at a value".
exactly  - they didn't even try to communicate with their current subscribers on this.  At least be upfront and tell me.  I can then decide if it is worth it or not, but I won't have "bad" feelings toward them as a company.

I have bad feelings towards them right now, because they didn't even care to reach out to their customers.

I am unsure, because you stated you had a credit, but if you never bought one from them before, how did you get a credit? 
They have a referral program - when someone creates an account using your link you get $1 credit, when they purchase a subscription or a one-time box you get another $9, and there's no limit to how many people you can refer.

Quote: Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  They have a referral program - when someone creates an account using your link you get $1 credit, when they purchase a subscription or a one-time box you get another $9, and there's no limit to how many people you can refer.
ahh, thank you!!   I just don't know anyone in RL who is that much of a makeup junkie like I am that is willing to spend 36 bucks on a sub!!  lol

and no one reads my blog anyway - hahaha - so I don't get people signing up using my links.

this was their reply (so far) on facebook

Quote:

Good morning ladies ~ we did reduce the average number of full size products from 4/5 to 3/4 for November. We did this so we could add some new brands and some higher price items to our box assortment. As you know each Wantable box is personalized and we're always trying to expand our offering. It is in no way an attempt to pull a fast one . As always if your not happy with your box for any reason it can be returned. Please keep the feedback coming, as we really take your opinions to heart.

okay, that is so not true.  They didn't give us higher priced items.  The value of the box dropped too!!   I would say if they gave us 3-4 items that were valued at 80-100 dollars, that is one thing.  But that isn't what they did.  They gave us less items plus a lesser valued box.

I hope this was just for the November box and not a sign going forward

here is another response on the FB page

Quote:  we appreciate your good points and feedback. Each change we make to our box is an attempt to make the experience better. It's clear that you'd rather receive 4/5 items, which may just be the topping point to take it back up in future months

I am not sure how reducing the amount of products AND the value of the box was an attempt to make the experience better.

Also, it doesn't look like November's box was a "one off" - they might take it back up in future months?

received an email to my inquiry

Quote:     Thank you for your email. I'm happy to answer your questions. We have been reducing the number of products in our boxes in an effort to provide better and more expensive brands and products. We've gotten a lot of feedback from customers that they'd rather receive fewer items of a higher quality than many products of a lower quality. We've listened to this feedback in making these changes.    We have always truthfully stated the number of products included in the box each month. It's always stated under "What's inside the box" at the top of the makeup page. In October, we reduced the number to 4-5, and this month we have reduced it to 3-4 in order to get some great new brands and products with a higher cost (Girlactik, DEX, and some new brands that are coming next month) and to get more of the high quality brands we've had in the past (Lise Watier, FACE Stockholm). Most of our boxes contain 4 items, but if we can only match you with more expensive things, you may receive 3. You will still be getting more value than what you paid for the box. And if you're not happy with a box, we still have our same great happiness guarantee that allows you to send it back for a full refund, no questions asked.   If you have any other questions, please let me know. I'm happy to help! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   

Again, they aren't giving us the value of the box that was promoted all year long.  I am now in a "skip" mode until they go back to the model in which I sub'd to.

If they change it back, I will unskip.  If they do not, I will cancel it completely.  This is an expensive sub and brazen's friends & glossybox are much better subs at this point for me.

okay, that is so not true.  They didn't give us higher priced items.  The value of the box dropped too!!   I would say if they gave us 3-4 items that were valued at 80-100 dollars, that is one thing.  But that isn't what they did.  They gave us less items plus a lesser valued box.

I hope this was just for the November box and not a sign going forward

here is another response on the FB page

I am not sure how reducing the amount of products AND the value of the box was an attempt to make the experience better.

Also, it doesn't look like November's box was a "one off" - they might take it back up in future months?

received an email to my inquiry

Again, they aren't giving us the value of the box that was promoted all year long.  I am now in a "skip" mode until they go back to the model in which I sub'd to.

If they change it back, I will unskip.  If they do not, I will cancel it completely.  This is an expensive sub and brazen's friends & glossybox are much better subs at this point for me.
Wow! What a bad move. I respect them for saying "we weren't trying to pull a fast one" as most companies won't use language that directly in response to a problem. But immediately after they say they, they insult our intelligence by saying they wanted to include 'higher priced items.' Uh. I can do the math! It isn't calculus or anything to add 3 or 4 numbers together. That turns me off.

Now, on the other hand, Wantable had treated me VERY well in the past. My first box was one of my worst ones (until November, that is) but I still liked enough stuff to keep it. When they did a promotion contest, awarding the prize to the person who had the most FB posts, tweets, and Pins *along with* the person who got the most friends to enter the contest, I made a comment on their FB page that it would be easy to cheat by just creating multiple accounts. I was just talking to others who were saying the winner would be a big blogger or cheater instead of a loyal customer. The thought popped in my head, so I said it. It really wasn't a big complaint but more of a passing comment. But in response, Wantable gave me a $35 credit so I got my next box for $1. I so was not expecting or even hinting for that! But I did see they put out a comment that they investigated the entries to verify they were real with no cheating, so maybe my comment kind of prompted that and they were saying thank you. Who knows? But I did find it shockingly generous.

Anyway, I have gotten 2 Besame products I love. Several Lise Watier products I love (including the fall Tartan eyeshadow palette), and some other products I like ok. I'd never even heard of Besame or Lise Watier before Wantable. So, given how well they've treated me in the past, I feel kind of bad that I just printed out a return label and cancelled my account. I suspect they are in a bit of trouble and realized they couldn't afford to give out boxes worth $80-100 for only $36 and no shipping. I did think it was an incredible deal myself (even if they do buy bulk products for huge discounts, I'm assuming.) Or maybe they needed to hire more employees or something--more overhead, you know. I'm really hoping they pull through.

Overall, I loved Wantable, until now. Unfortunately, my husband and I are going through difficult times at the moment anyway, so I probably would have been forced to cancel on my own. But this move just made the decision easy for me. I'm certainly going to keep an eye on them though and hope they recover. But I've just been burnt so badly by Little Black Bag. Every time they change something, it seems to make the site worse for the customer. The only exception is that they made it better to see what you are offering in a trade, along with a confirm button. Still, even though I do buy things there, I don't really trust them anymore. I do NOT gift to myself, since trading is still impossibly slow--I just ship everything and send back LOTS of items for exchange credit. I don't feel that sense of acrimony against Wantable though. I actually feel sorry for them, but that is tempered by the way they handled the change. No one does full honesty anymore. I guess they don't want to look weak. But better to look weak than appear to be a sneaky liar to your customers, IMHO.

Latest posts

Back