Reverse stamping/ creating your own decals

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey nail stamping fanatics!  Awhile back I had seen a technique and totally forgot about it until this morning.  It's called reverse stamping.  I think it's going to be my go to way for nail art from here on out. 

What is reverse stamping? 

There are 2 ways to do reverse stamping.  Essentially what it means is instead of painting your nails then stamping on them, you stamp the design on your stamp then color it in or stamping the image on a piece of parchment or sandwich baggie over a layer of clear polish and then coloring it in.

It's a very simple and easy way to create your own decals.  This process is not new by any means just new to me.  Here's what I did.

I taped a quart sized freezer bag to my table then drew out some squares so I could see where the designs would go.  I then painted a clear top coat inside and let dry

I them stamped some images I wanted to fill in.  Keep in mine what you paint first is seen first because what you are looking at is the back.  Once that dries you clear coat it again.  After that is dry you can lift it off with a tweezers.  Mine ripped at first.  I think because I forgot the second clear coat. 

Here is a butterfly image painted the backside. 

Now here it is flipped over so you see what is on the front side.

Then if your nail polish is tacky, arrange it on your nail.  If not like mine were, apply a clear top coat and then place on your nail.  It feels weird!!! 

Next you trim off any excess you have (you can do some trimming before it's on the nail too if its a smaller design.  I didn't because this was my first time and I wasn't sure how much I would need to grab it.

Then since it's all polish just cleanup with a brush dipped in acetone or remover... and TADA!!!

Sorry the picture sucks.

I can't believe I never did this before.  I top coated it again once it was on my finger.  I have no idea about it's staying power though, I fear it's going to peel off my fingers too.

Here are some more.  Please forgive the terrible clean up.

I chose way too dark backgrounds and fumbled a bit with application.  It's going to take some getting used to but OMG is this fun!!!

Forgot to post this.  Here's the full mani of apple pie I wore to see the opening of Les Misérables last night that my friend was playing Javert in.

This picture does not do the China Glaze Ruby Pumps any justice but shows just how well the decals can work.

Wear on it was good too.  I only took it off because I was working on trying other decals.

Wow ..this is so awesome! I'm definitely going to try this out. Thanks for the tutorial, @Christa W

Hey nail stamping fanatics!  Awhile back I had seen a technique and totally forgot about it until this morning.  It's called reverse stamping.  I think it's going to be my go to way for nail art from here on out.  What is reverse stamping?  There are 2 ways to do reverse stamping.  Essentially what it means is instead of painting your nails then stamping on them, you stamp the design on your stamp then color it in or stamping the image on a piece of parchment or sandwich baggie over a layer of clear polish and then coloring it in. It's a very simple and easy way to create your own decals.  This process is not new by any means just new to me.  Here's what I did. I taped a quart sized freezer bag to my table then drew out some squares so I could see where the designs would go.  I then painted a clear top coat inside and let dry I them stamped some images I wanted to fill in.  Keep in mine what you paint first is seen first because what you are looking at is the back.  Once that dries you clear coat it again.  After that is dry you can lift it off with a tweezers.  Mine ripped at first.  I think because I forgot the second clear coat.  Here is a butterfly image painted the backside.  Now here it is flipped over so you see what is on the front side. Then if your nail polish is tacky, arrange it on your nail.  If not like mine were, apply a clear top coat and then place on your nail.  It feels weird!!!  Next you trim off any excess you have (you can do some trimming before it's on the nail too if its a smaller design.  I didn't because this was my first time and I wasn't sure how much I would need to grab it. Then since it's all polish just cleanup with a brush dipped in acetone or remover... and TADA!!! Sorry the picture sucks. I can't believe I never did this before.  I top coated it again once it was on my finger.  I have no idea about it's staying power though, I fear it's going to peel off my fingers too.
Wow this is amazing!! So much better than paying $10 for those decals that don't even last lol!! Def gonna try this on my and my daughters nails. Thanks

@Christa W Thank-you so much for describing this. It is such a neat concept. I'm curious whether you've tried many plastics or whether you're sticking with a specific type. Also, do you re-topcoat it when you put it on the nail, or just leave it 'glued' on with what was underneath. And have you tried to transfer by taking the image with the plastic and placing it on the nail or is it fairly easy to manipulate after removing it from the plastic? Thanks!

This is a really great idea ! I'm going to have to try it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Monika1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @Christa W Thank-you so much for describing this. It is such a neat concept. I'm curious whether you've tried many plastics or whether you're sticking with a specific type. Also, do you re-topcoat it when you put it on the nail, or just leave it 'glued' on with what was underneath. And have you tried to transfer by taking the image with the plastic and placing it on the nail or is it fairly easy to manipulate after removing it from the plastic? Thanks!
I have not tried any other plastic than the cheap ziploc bags in my pantry I got from Walmart.  I did read somewhere that a piece of waxed paper works well too which I would love.  I use one in cake decorating and candy making too so it's logical.  I brought a big piece upstairs to try but haven't gotten a chance to yet.  I do add topcoat when I am done. It's pretty easy to manipulate.  The apple pie manicure I trimmed them up pretty nicely and as long as the polish is completely dry you are fine.  (like overnight).  I tried some sugar skulls that curled on me because I only let them dry for 30 min.  Supposedly you can keep them awhile as long at they don't get brittle and dry.  I have a cityscape I made that is still good and just sitting on my desk.  Well as long as it stays cat hair free anyway. 

I noticed that I moved the plastic bag to another table and wasn't as careful placing it, I got ripples in it.  That is bad for them.  I think the wax paper is going to be a better option because it's flat.  My baggie is a freezer bag so it's got both sides, I never thought to cut it... I probably should.  It does crinkle a little.

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I taped a quart sized freezer bag to my table then drew out some squares so I could see where the designs would go.  I then painted a clear top coat inside and let dry
Inside?  Inside the bag?  I'm stoopid and I don't get what you mean by this.  Please explain to the dumbass and type slowly.

Inside?  Inside the bag?  I'm stoopid and I don't get what you mean by this.  Please explain to the dumbass and type slowly.
I think inside the squares she drew? Maybe

cute! i never thought to do a full nail decal this way, i've done lots of small decals like this when i'm too lazy to paint anything on my fingers..or having a really bad lefty/righty day.lol i'll have to try the full nail, custom nail strips and a heck of a lot cheaper!

Quote: Originally Posted by skylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think inside the squares she drew? Maybe
Um, yeah.  That would probably be it.  
icon_redface.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Um, yeah.  That would probably be it.  
icon_redface.gif

Yup.  That's what I meant.

Quote: Originally Posted by luckyme502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This whole process fascinates me. I will have to try this someday.
I'm in exactly that same boat.
smilehappyyes.gif

So I had to redo my office due to some work equipment I may or may not be getting soon and I have had to drive to the office 55+ miles each way for this entire week.  So glad to be home again. SOOOOO... with that being said.  I had some extra tables that I decided would be turned into an art station.  Now, this means I have to keep my cats off of it however, I am setting up a permanent section for this particular function and I am going to see how it works on wax paper hopefully by Sunday because Saturday is my honey's birthday and I can't very well sit around doing nail art all day... OR CAN I???  I can't wait to share the results with you guys.

I did my first stamp using the waxed paper vs the plastic baggie and I like it better.  It allowed me to get a thinner more even coat that was super flat and almost had the same type of texture/finish that the waxed paper does as well.  Makes sense.  I had my first "oops" moment too realizing that I was doing a design that was in fact now reversed and it was a Nintendo controller so it's not like you can get away with that.  I think I would like to try it by coloring on the stamp directly so it won't be reversed.  I ordered a few cheap plates off Ebay today with some good designs that could really be filled in.  I have been doing some practicing on other people to try and get better too.  I can't wait to keep making these.

[@]Christa W[/@] I want you to know that I have nothing to add to this right now, but I read everything you are posting and plan to try this after the holidays. I should have my make up/ nail area up and ready in my first bedroom by then, instead of spread out on the dining room table and in my closet. So please continue to share your process! I thank you for posting it!

I decided today to try the stamper method for those images you don't want reversed.  This process will take a considerable longer amount of time in the long run because you can't mass produce them like you could if you were stamping to paper. 

Stamp image on stamper and fill in design.  I took the letter "I" out as well as the heart the cord was making.  It's tricky doing it this way because the design is incredibly fragile and can come off the stamper fairly easy.

Once try clear coat and let that dry.  Then peel it off starting around the edges and working your way in.  This one came off really easy.

Now you have your decal.  This one was a bit sloppy because I didn't realize that it was so fragile and I kind of slopped the red on.  I will be far more careful next time.

Apply as normal.  I trimmed this one down then clear coat on top.  I didn't really bother trying to center this or even apply it well I was just doing it for a tutorial/ example before I took this mani off.

Latest posts

Back