(Discussion) The Ipsy website

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was hoping we would have updated glam-rooms today. Ho hum.

The website is so stinking wonky.  It takes forever to load! I am able to access any other website super quickly...hit Ipsy's website and it's like DHL.  
turtle.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The website is so stinking wonky.  It takes forever to load! I am able to access any other website super quickly...hit Ipsy's website and it's like DHL.  
turtle.gif

@JimmyJazz Oh my goodness, is the website like that for everybody!? I thought it was just me. It never loads the first time, just tries and tries, then I have to hit refresh again for it to finally load after several minutes. I never have that much trouble with any other website, so bizarre.

Yeah, I'm sad the Glam Room isn't up yet....I'd dying here, Ipsy, I'm dying here! LOL
hehe.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@JimmyJazz Oh my goodness, is the website like that for everybody!? I thought it was just me. It never loads the first time, just tries and tries, then I have to hit refresh again for it to finally load after several minutes. I never have that much trouble with any other website, so bizarre.

Yeah, I'm sad the Glam Room isn't up yet....I'd dying here, Ipsy, I'm dying here! LOL
hehe.gif

So glad I am not the only one.  I'm not a fan of the setup. Also, when I like a look or something, it doesn't always show that I clicked it. 

mad.gif

re: ipsy's website.  It seems to run well on chrome under windows 7.  When I try to use firefox, it comes to a major crawl.  I avoid using IE

Quote: Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

turtle.gif

hehe.gif

The site is very bogged down. Frankly all those looks on the main page shouldn't be on the main page since it just bogs it down. Personally, I think the whole site needs an overhaul to make it more streamlined, make it easier to find categories, make it easier for subscribers to view their Glam Rooms and Ipsy Points plus make it faster.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The site is very bogged down. Frankly all those looks on the main page shouldn't be on the main page since it just bogs it down. Personally, I think the whole site needs an overhaul to make it more streamlined, make it easier to find categories, make it easier for subscribers to view their Glam Rooms and Ipsy Points plus make it faster.

I agree.  It feels very jumbled and rather kiddy-like.

And a mobile version!

The other thing that bugs me... is using images without properly citing sources. Granted this is not Ipsy's fault however they can add something for the person to either state the image is not their image or that it is their image. Case in point, I finished the Bella Terra review for points and realized one of the images tagged having used Bella Terra was the Lola Blanc for Lime Crime image.

So I clicked on the image and saw one of the Ipsy subscribers put this look together but didn't credit Lime Crime at all for the image.

Someone replied to it with, "I totally love your look!!! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />♡" but it isn't HER look since it was done for Lime Crime.

If Ipsy added an "image credit" section that would take care of not giving people credit for other people's work.

Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I just don't like the Ipsy site in general. To me, a "Look" should be a picture of a specific look, and then each of the items one would use to achieve it. Instead, I feel like it's just a jumble of random pics and videos that people post to get comments. It irritates me and I dislike it.

The "Looks" always confused me. I always felt that they should be the result of what someone put together themselves. The way it is now is like a really sloppy pinterest board.

I just don't like the Ipsy site in general. To me, a "Look" should be a picture of a specific look, and then each of the items one would use to achieve it. Instead, I feel like it's just a jumble of random pics and videos that people post to get comments. It irritates me and I dislike it.
I feel the same way about it. I also think Ipsy should encourage some more original content. I feel like most people just put random pictures together just to try to win a prize.

I moved the posts regarding the Ipsy website to it's own thread because I think a discussion about it is in order. Hopefully Ipsy will see it and make some changes once they see that people are having issues with the site. Personally, I can tell you I was aware of the "new" Ipsy site (though as MyGlam) since last March and I didn't like it then and voiced my opinions about it to them. When it finally launched as Ipsy I tried to give the site a chance but it's so laggy and filled with redundant stuff. It's cluttered, it's sloppy and I wish the looks were more about the Ipsy products or done by those uploading. I've done a few of my own "looks" using other people's videos including a "Dare to be Re-l" (similar to the Dare To Be I've done here on MUT) but it's not something I'd normally do because it feels so artificial.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The "Looks" always confused me. I always felt that they should be the result of what someone put together themselves. The way it is now is like a really sloppy pinterest board.

I completely agree. The few "looks" i've posted have just been things I have done. I don't "get" how posting someone else's tutorial linked with a ton of barely related videos is a "look" or what anyone is hoping to accomplish...

I agree completely.

I only go on the ipsy site to review my products and check my glam room to see what's in my bag. Everything feels like a cluttered mess and I just get kind of annoyed when I try to view looks or products. I think if someone adds a look it should be one they created themselves and the list of products and what they did.

It also seems like the whole site should be better organized and easier to navigate.

I totally agree about looks; to me a 'look' is a makeup look or hair style etc you did yourself, the products you used to achieve it, and either tutorials of your own or tutorials that you followed for inspiration and instructions. Ipsy's online team should encourage creative and new content by rewarding contest wins to those who actually create new content. It would be nice if, in order to upload a picture, you had to check off that it's yours OR credit the source.

When I first started posting looks, I used images I found doing a google image search because I was just trying to enter as many contests as possible. I use all my own images now, and try to create looks that serve as reviews of the product. It's a fun passtime and the possibility of winning a prize (I've won once, and they really do give generous prize packages) is enticing. 

I agree, the website is crap. My biggest pet peeve is the inability to add products ourselves. I brought it up with them once and their reply was, "Just contact IpsyCare and we'll try to add the product." And take away precious response time from someone with shipping issues? No effin' way.

The looks should absolutely be user-created and, imo, anyone using other people's pics and tutorials to enter contests should be disqualified. 

I only play around on the internet using my phone, so the ipsy site absolutely makes me nuts when I try to use it.Impossible.

I think they also need to look into making a clearer distinction between site-created and user-created content. While Ipsy has tags, the fact that their own posts are part of the same posting feed as everyone else's makes it awkward to find them. I personally prefer to have the site communications and content to be front and center with, I guess, a portal that leads to the user-created stuff.

Latest posts

Back