Really random - but anyone have any ferret experience?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this is super random but I figured I would ask anyway! My boyfriend really really wants a ferret. We can't have a cat or a dog, as my complex requires you to pay extra for them and has a ton of ridiculous rules about what "types" you can and can't have, and it is definitely not the right time in our lives for a dog. We went to the pet store the other day to take a look at them, and they were super cute and friendly. One of the workers described them as "puppies forever" which Derek really liked. I'm just worried about a few things, first off, the smell. I know you can have them neutered/spayed and that significantly reduces the smell, which would would definitely plan on doing, but I just don't want the whole house to reek of ferret. The only place we could put the huge cage would be in our bedroom, and I'm worried that all of our clothes/bedding ect would smell of ferret - definitely not something I want. The second thing I'm worried about is health problems, I know that they tend to get back problems and cancer, and while we can afford routine shots and minor procedures, we cannot afford to spend 1000+ dollars if something goes wrong. Anyone have any experience with them?

My aunt had a ferret. She cleaned the cage every day and that did reduce the smell a little. There was still some though, so I don't think you can get fully rid of the smell. Didn't notice it much around the house though, just near the cage.

I used to have a pet ferret (he died of old age, miss him 😞). I cleaned my ferrets litter box everyday. Litter box training is easy. They pick a corner to do their business in naturally, put the litter box there with a little poo in it. His cage/toys was thoroughly scrubbed once a week with vinegar solution and dried well. He also got a bath once a month, he loved to play in the tub. I can't remember the name of the shampoo I used, but its specifically for ferret funk. He lived in my bedroom, I never smelled of ferret. My bedroom only got ferrety if I slacked on cleaning. They do make great pets. Mine walked on a leash and harness, he loved the snow. They do require some attention and care though. And you MUST ferret proof wherever you intend to let them run, they can get into the tiniest places and slip away easily. And if there's any chance you can't give your ferret attention everyday, it would be a good idea to get 2. They can get nasty if they aren't socialized properly. Also, buy the biggest cage you can afford (which will also be a huge help for when you're busy and can't spend time with it, you can put all sorts of cool toys inside). Google is your best friend right now. Type in ferrets and read. Seriously, research them to death and consider if they're the right pet for you. Will you be able to scoop its litter box everyday? Deal with the smell if you don't? Can you handle the noise, especially considering you intend to keep it in your bedroom and ferrets are nocturnal? Can you afford the upfront costs (the actual ferret, cage, food, water bottle, dishes, hammocks, toys, ECT)? You may also want to check around and see how much it would cost to have it fixed, which likely will not be cheap since you'll be seeing an exotic vet. My ferret was already fixed when he was gifted to me, but his annual visits to the exotic vet for check ups wasn't a happy time for me. Anyway, I'm not trying to dissuade you, but they do live for quite a while and aren't necessarily the right pet for everyone. My aunt has 6 ferrets currently. They have their own room in her house. I can stand in that room with the ferrets and cages and it doesn't stink. It smells ferret-y, they do have a musky scent, but they should not stink. Not with proper care. Good luck to you!

Latest posts

Back