Indiespensable

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this is MUT but I've seen a few posts of people who have or suggested this sub. Figured why not start a thread and see if there's interest in chatting about what we've received and how we're liking the books. =o)

For those who don't know, Indiespensable is a sub where they choose a book and you get a signed first edition along with some extras for $40.

So far I have received volume 42 and 43, and their website says it's every 6 weeks, but there was a 5 week period between those two volumes, and now a 3 week period for volume 44. It seems like sometimes it is also a longer period. It is definitely not consistent, but it is fun!

I got volume 44 in the mail today and it came with...

Frans Smoked Salt Caramels in milk chocolate. They are DEEEEELIIIIIISHHHHH. I may or may not have already eaten the whole box, oops.
I just finished reading the last book and I was pleasantly surprised at home much I enjoyed it. Since it's a pricier sub, I told myself that the second I don't continue to read the books is when I will cancel. I have a kindle and love reading, but sometimes get overloaded with books on my to-read list. 

Anyone else have this sub? How are you enjoying it? It's probably my second or third favorite sub. =o)

Just got my first box today and happy with it. Can't wait to read the book. Glad I subscribed. I also subscribed to Quarterly's BookRiot box. Their very first box ships in two weeks, so I'm looking forward to that too.

I should get my 1st box today. I can't do the spoiler quite yet, but almost started this thread to get spoilers, because I can't wait. If you're one of those people that is worried about value a Tartt signed 1st goes for about $100. 

Disney- I am in for BookRiot too. It being through quarterly and the one spoiler they have released doesn't lead me to think it will be a "value" but I'm hoping it's fun. 

Quote: Originally Posted by s112095 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I should get my 1st box today. I can't do the spoiler quite yet, but almost started this thread to get spoilers, because I can't wait. If you're one of those people that is worried about value a Tartt signed 1st goes for about $100. 

Disney- I am in for BookRiot too. It being through quarterly and the one spoiler they have released doesn't lead me to think it will be a "value" but I'm hoping it's fun. 
Oooh I signed up for that too. Quarterly definitely seems to sell more of an experience package than a good deal. I am okay with that since it is just quarterly, and there really aren't many contributors I'm interested in at all. I signed up for Bill Nye though. LOL excited for that!

What was the book riot spoiler?!

The book riot spoiler was that there are hand written notes from the author coming with their book. 

http://bookriot.com/2013/11/03/teaser-first-quarterly-box/ (I'm not affiliated) I wanted the Nye Box, but wanted to make sure it "worth it" 
Yeah I figured it would be either awesome or a slight letdown, but figured if it was a letdown, I would just unsubscribe. If it was awesome, then I'd be stoked I got in on the first one... plus, chance at bowtie! Lol

I'm mixed about that teaser... kinda seems cool that the author will almost be talking to you while you read but at the same time... meh. Haha

My indiespensable sub lied to me, so I'm hoping today. 

I felt the same way as you did about the spoiler. Then I saw the NG spoiler and was like they wouldn't let that be all, because It has to be worth at least the $ I spent and getting photocopied notes from what could have been a reading will cover it. 

I think they had an issue with the Pharrell box with getting a signed copy of a rap from him people were like uh... whut.. no. 

Why oh why did I feel the need to open this thread as now I've ordered both Indiespensable and Book Riot because I can't stop my love of books.

Still no Indiespensable. It's been 3 towns away since the 12th and no updates. I want it.

Still no Indiespensable. It's been 3 towns away since the 12th and no updates. I want it.

You get tracking?! I've never received tracking for mine!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by buhdderkupp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Why oh why did I feel the need to open this thread as now I've ordered both Indiespensable and Book Riot because I can't stop my love of books.
That was pretty much what happened to me when I saw them both. LOL it's okay, we're here for you!

Quote: Originally Posted by dousedingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You get tracking?! I've never received tracking for mine!!!

That was pretty much what happened to me when I saw them both. LOL it's okay, we're here for you!
It's in the profile for purchased items. They didn't send me a tracking number but I found it. I wish I hadn't . 

It's in the profile for purchased items. They didn't send me a tracking number but I found it. I wish I hadn't . 
WOW! I managed to COMPLETELY gloss over that last month even when I was looking for one. Thanks!

Quote: Originally Posted by dousedingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Oooh I signed up for that too. Quarterly definitely seems to sell more of an experience package than a good deal. I am okay with that since it is just quarterly, and there really aren't many contributors I'm interested in at all. I signed up for Bill Nye though. LOL excited for that!

What was the book riot spoiler?!

OMG!!! I got sucked to this thread afer seeing Indiespensable and squealing quietly "Powells!!!" then I see Bill Nye?!?!? *cue more squeeing*

Why yes, I am a nerd and I think I'll wait to see what the first box is before deciding to sign up or not.

Back to Indie, I've seen pics on Powells' site, and they're well thought out. If I wasn't so particular on what I read, I'd consider them.

Quote: Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OMG!!! I got sucked to this thread afer seeing Indiespensable and squealing quietly "Powells!!!" then I see Bill Nye?!?!? *cue more squeeing*

Why yes, I am a nerd and I think I'll wait to see what the first box is before deciding to sign up or not.

Back to Indie, I've seen pics on Powells' site, and they're well thought out. If I wasn't so particular on what I read, I'd consider them.
There was a delay with bill nye by one week I think. And now the shipping time is negative and not updating.... it's making me a little nervous! But it's an established sub company so it will all be okay, right!? Ugh... lol I just want an update!!

I am particular on what I read as well, and while I'm only on book 2 of my sub length, I am surprised at my enjoyment. Neither are titles I would have chosen, but enjoyed the first, and the second seems good so far. I'm kind of looking at it as a non-socially-centered book club. Lol

On another note, book riot just posted another teaser.... I had never heard of book riot before quarterly, so the hint about it being read by ten contributors doesn't help! Any ideas?!

The being read by 10 contributors doesn't really matter. To me it's the whole great so 10 of your people liked it it doesn't necessarily mean I will. The indiespensable sub is so much better in the way they handle it. Here's the book you decide. The hahaha we're not telling you the book is dumb to me. If they plan on adding a book fetish item of theirs I feel that should be the surprise. 

And Quarterly told the Nina Garcia people that the holiday last week threw them. Shady excuse, but I know they have changed how things are recently. 

I have high hopes for BookRiot too. I don't expect high value, but also hoping for a fun box with (of course) a good book selected. I was excited to see Bill Nye's box too, but decided to try only one Quarterly box first and went with the Book Riot. I loved my first Indiespensable box and am already looking forward to the next one. 

The spoiler for the BookRiot made no sense. If anyone did figure it out, please share via inbox!!

I LOVE Indiespensable! Usually I only read romance novels but this keeps me reading at least one "literary" book a month. I don't think the extras are worth it, but the books certainly are! It's also fun to collect signed books.

I haven't been able to bring myself to subscribe to BookRiot yet. I've been trying to cut back on my subs (and by cut back I mean have <10) and I want to make sure it'd be worth it.

The being read by 10 contributors doesn't really matter. To me it's the whole great so 10 of your people liked it it doesn't necessarily mean I will. The indiespensable sub is so much better in the way they handle it. Here's the book you decide. The hahaha we're not telling you the book is dumb to me. If they plan on adding a book fetish item of theirs I feel that should be the surprise. 

And Quarterly told the Nina Garcia people that the holiday last week threw them. Shady excuse, but I know they have changed how things are recently. 
So do you have a choice to "skip" a month with this sub? Or do you just mean you are able to cancel the sub if you don't like the book choice?? Thanks!!

Steph- With Indiespensable yes you'd have to unsub then resub. Something I'm sure a bunch of us are good at LOL. The Book Riot is a Quarterly Co. one, and no one has a blessed clue what they're doing with theirs yet. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Disneyfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have high hopes for BookRiot too. I don't expect high value, but also hoping for a fun box with (of course) a good book selected. I was excited to see Bill Nye's box too, but decided to try only one Quarterly box first and went with the Book Riot. I loved my first Indiespensable box and am already looking forward to the next one. 

The spoiler for the BookRiot made no sense. If anyone did figure it out, please share via inbox!!
Same! I want the spoiler for Book Riot. Inbox please!

I've gone overboard with Quarterly. I've got 5 subs from them now. Their tracking system when boxes ship is a bit wonky but I've loved what I've received so far. 

Latest posts

Back