Sign in to follow this  
Bizgirlva

Sample Society December 2013

I just called and canceled Sample Society while it was fresh on my mind.

I hate to be overly negative, but it's a nice subscription when it truly contains "deluxe" samples that last long enough to really get a feel for the product.  This month, I wound up with a powder exfoliant (which I'd say was truly deluxe sized) and samples for everything else (including a BB cream that doesn't match my skin) that were the size of or smaller than my pinky.  I'm never going to get a feel for if I'm able to appreciate a product or want a full sized version when it's a skin care product that I'm barely able to squeak three uses out of them.  :(

Sorry if I'm the negative Nancy in this group.

"Sample Society" = truth in advertising. I've only received 1 full sized product from them (nail polish), but to be fair, zero foil samples. Everything has been resealable, I think. I think Glossybox has the corner on high-end (occasionally) full size stuff, but it's also a pricier subscription. Can anyone recommend other beauty boxes besides Ipsy/BB that send out sample sizes of not-drugstore beauty products?

"Sample Society" = truth in advertising. I've only received 1 full sized product from them (nail polish), but to be fair, zero foil samples. Everything has been resealable, I think. I think Glossybox has the corner on high-end (occasionally) full size stuff, but it's also a pricier subscription. Can anyone recommend other beauty boxes besides Ipsy/BB that send out sample sizes of not-drugstore beauty products?
I really do agree with this statement. I never expected full sized products by any stretch, but I think I was hoping for larger sample more consistent with the skin brightener we got in November. However, those are just so few and far between that I fail to see $15 in value consistently. Even more, the site says that they give only "deluxe samples" so that you can really see how well a product works. While yes, these are resealable with more than one use, providing any sample in a specific color is risky and, again, I'm unsure how you'd make a determination on a product with the sizes provided this month. Maybe it's not the box overall I'm dissatisfied with, but just that I'm SO unhappy with this month's box that it overshadows any positive thoughts I had in regards to the brand. That said, they have excellent customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicked View Post

Beauty Sage.  Not a subscription, but you can purchase in the beginning of each month when available.  Usually priced at $12, this month is $19 though.  Includes shipping, and deluxe samples that aren't a mystery.  You get to view before you buy. 

Kit A: [spoiler=Warning: Spoiler!]LL

Sorry, I had to edit this a couple times to figure out how to put an image in the spoiler tag!  Ignore the spoiler box below... I can't figure out how to get rid of it. >_<  But clicking on the above will give the Kit A contents. [spoiler=Warning: Spoiler!] 

I'm jealous! I'd rather the Ren than the Dermalogica scrub I got in Kit B.

I got Kit B and while I like the samples, I'm still pretty close to cancelling. I thought the $15 off $50 would be more useful to me than it is. I'll give it another month I think and then I'll probably cancel.

I dunno, Sample Society may be a little "boring" but at least A) I never get foil packets B) I never get hair ties or bobby pins and C) The brands really are high end.

For $15 for that guarantee, I still like it

Thanks for the Beauty Sage rec! Looks interesting

• Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStupenda View Post

I dunno, Sample Society may be a little "boring" but at least A) I never get foil packets B) I never get hair ties or bobby pins and C) The brands really are high end.

For $15 for that guarantee, I still like it

Thanks for the Beauty Sage rec! Looks interesting

I definitely like it, I'm just on the fence. I mean it did introduce me to IPKN, which is now my HG BB cream. We shall see. I'm excited to try the texturizer I got this month though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsgotmail View Post

Beauty Sage.  Not a subscription, but you can purchase in the beginning of each month when available.  Usually priced at $12, this month is $19 though.  Includes shipping, and deluxe samples that aren't a mystery.  You get to view before you buy. 

If anyone is interested, the code JD574RKS works for 20% off on Beauty Sage, bringing the monthly box to $15.20 shipped. Also there's 4.5% back using Ebates but I'm not sure if you can use both.

• Like 1

I've been stalking this thread to decide on which sub to add, but another one I'm considering is One Radiant. $36 for 3 months, so it comes out to $12 a box, and they send 4-5 deluxe samples handpicked for your skin type. It's very much a skincare box, though, I don't see any makeup.

http://www.oneradiant.com/join/

Question. Does this box ship from Beauty Bar or Allure (Conde Nast)? I have something coming via UPS that says it shipped from Conde Nast and weighs 3.5 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deareux View Post

Question. Does this box ship from Beauty Bar or Allure (Conde Nast)? I have something coming via UPS that says it shipped from Conde Nast and weighs 3.5 lbs.

It always ships from Quidsi, I guess that's Beauty Bar. I got box C and it weighed 1 pound, so I think the Conde Nast is something else.

I liked Sample Society better than last month's or my Birchbox this month, but it wasn't exactly thrilling. I was glad to get

the Alterna dry shampoo because they were giving that out as a gift for one of Sephora's 25 Days special and I really wanted to try it, and I like Jane Iredale and want to try the Dermalogica. I'm not sure about the BB Cream because the reviews say it's for yellow tones and not rosey, so I may not try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahchirps View Post

It always ships from Quidsi, I guess that's Beauty Bar. I got box C and it weighed 1 pound, so I think the Conde Nast is something else.

I liked Sample Society better than last month's or my Birchbox this month, but it wasn't exactly thrilling. I was glad to get

the Alterna dry shampoo because they were giving that out as a gift for one of Sephora's 25 Days special and I really wanted to try it, and I like Jane Iredale and want to try the Dermalogica. I'm not sure about the BB Cream because the reviews say it's for yellow tones and not rosey, so I may not try it.

I see! Thank you for your answer! I guess I'll have to keep digging!

I have to give these guys their props for customer service. I got my box today minus the Alterna. Why this doesn't exactly break my heart (I have received enough different Alterna products already to float a battleship) there's a principle here. I called and explained to a very nice young an that I ad a missing product and without prompting, arguing or otherwise pouting (on my part) he right was offered to refund me $10. I said that was more than equitable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsgotmail View Post

ooo! A $10 off $30 + free ship coupon just popped up. I might have to give this a go. Do people who have only showers have any ingenious uses for bath salts?

ooo! A $10 off $30 + free ship coupon just popped up. I might have to give this a go. Do people who have only showers have any ingenious uses for bath salts?
They're always great for a foot soak and pedicure!

Yay! I got my box in the mail today. My Alterna dry shampoo was slightly ajar, which left the contents of the box a bit on the white and powdery side, but I have to deal with a leaker in just about every box living at 5280', and I'll take a dry leak over a wet leak any day of the leak, er, week, lol.

I already had an identical Alterna dry shampoo sample from Sephora(?), so I unscrewed the lid on the leaker and combined the two bottles in anticipation of the not-resealable pillow packet of Lulu Organics dry shampoo that I'm supposed to receive in my Birchbox in a few days. I had been willing to sacrifice another sample in a sifter jar, but my Bella Pierre eyeshadow narrowly escaped the hatchet and will live another day -- the new sample can live in the spare Alterna container. 

I guess I wasn't paying attention, because I was surprised to find another Alterna dry-shampooish "liquid powder" product in the box. I'm not sure what's liquid about it, and gave up after squinting at the tiny printing on the back for too long. It will have to be amazing to kick Klorane off my HG dry shampoo throne, but I'm on a dry shampoo kick at the moment, so it will be interesting. It's so ridiculously light and fluffy in the container that I'm sure it is exceedingly flammable, and will be good for a cornstarch-like prank if it fails as a hair product. 

0.jpg

I'm also psyched to try the (powder) exfoliant. I'm also on an exfoliant kick, and I like Dermatologica products.

I'm enthralled with the itty bitty lipstick sample, and the color (113, mauve) is a nice YLBB shade on me. Now I just need the perfect place to keep it so I can be a lipstick ninja. Cleavage seems the obvious choice.

Powder to the people. 

• Like 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite2nite View Post

Ooooooh, I think it is time for a January Spoiler thread,  Facebook has the first teaser. I was planning on cancelling but I am glad I waited.

For the life of me, I can not find any teaser on their facebook page! What the heck is wrong with me, lol?

Quote:

It is posted on December 20th.  Kinda far down.  I am not sure how to post a hidden spoiler.....

Nice find!  Here it is...

Get excited! #SampleSociety members will be receiving butter LONDON’s Horse Power Nail Fertilizer or Handbag Holiday Cuticle Oil in their January boxes. 

Oh that's awesome and yes, I totally skipped right over it, lol! My fingers are double crossed for the first item.... Thanks so much for posting this!

Quote:

Probably time to start a new thread.  There is another spoiler on Facebook.

Squee! I'm dying for this! This is shaping up to be a good month!

Pucker up! Some lucky #SampleSociety members will be receiving a stila cosmetics Color Balm Lipstick (Vivienne) in their January boxes.

Hurry, only 2 days left to sign up!