Kat Von D's Makeup Line -What Is Your Feedback?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hear a lot of mixed reviews regarding Kat Von D's makeup line. Some absolutely love it and rave over the products, while others like me are so-so. I was wondering for those who have experimented with her stuff: what is your feedback?

If you are crazy about a product, what is it?

I've tried the lipstick and the liquid eyeliner pen, both were mediocre to me. The eyeliner creased so fast.

I've tried a few of the lipsticks... Lolita, Misfit, & Ritual, and while I liked the colors they all had an odd burnt plastic scent. The wear-time was average...3-4 hours.

I have a "Mongolian Spot" birthmark (faded blue spot) on my thigh, and I've used the Tattoo Concealer on it for the pool and beach. I liked it. It was a little greasy, but it stayed put. It's lightweight...which is better than the heavy, thick Coverblend I had used since I was a teenager. I'd purchase it again for sure, but I'm not sure about the lipsticks. 

Just bought the Spellbinding palette the other day, used it each day since and it seems pretty good. The shadows are decently pigmented, super pretty and seem long wearing, though I always wear a primer as my hooded eyes hate any shadow and crease without one. I've not tried anything else, but I think I will based on the shadows.

I've got the Ladybird matte palette and really like it.  All of the shadows are smooth and apply easily, which can be tricky with mattes.  Beyond that, I haven't tried any other products.

I love the lipstick mini in "Lolita" that I have.  I am considering buying the Spellbinding Lipstick set.

Just bought the lock it tattoo foundation and I like it do far! I've been using MAC Studio Fix forever. I also just got the spellbinding shadow book, and it's very different than any other eye shadows I've ever tried. They blend well, are long wearing on my oily eyes, and most are pretty pigmented. I'm impressed so far. I've only had these for a week now

Her concealer is my HG currently. As for other products, I've tried the liquid lipstick and they've lasted a long time. albeit kind of drying. 

I've also tried the lock it foundation, which was way too heavy for my liking. but it covered beautifully. though not made for oily faces = 

Quote: Originally Posted by banapple /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Her concealer is my HG currently. As for other products, I've tried the liquid lipstick and they've lasted a long time. albeit kind of drying. 

I've also tried the lock it foundation, which was way too heavy for my liking. but it covered beautifully. though not made for oily faces = 
Really? My face is oily and I use it.

I love the Tattoo Liner.  I use it everyday and for me it does not crease or flake. I also have the True Romace Palet in Beethoven.  I love it its really pigmented.  Lucifer is great for eyeliner and leather I use for my brows and liner.  as a highlighter i like to use tequilla.

Quote: Originally Posted by lanabuch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Really? My face is oily and I use it.

ahh maybe my oily face lol. but it's great that it works for you! I wish it did worked for me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I really wanted to like her foundation. 

Quote: Originally Posted by banapple /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ahh maybe my oily face lol. but it's great that it works for you! I wish it did worked for me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I really wanted to like her foundation. 
I probably won't buy another bottle after this one, I like Mac better lol

I've loved everything from the line so far and I have a lot. Fountain in powder and liquid, three foiled live lipsticks and two painted love, prayer is my HG Lippie at the moment. Two blushes, and liners. The spellbinding lipstick set and palette, although I returned the palette, the colors were great, but not special imo. I love that the line has great colours for all skin tones, I was really surprised that all the colours in the spellbinding set looked great on me, even the nudes, usually I have to give those away or throw them out. I'm a huge fan of the line even if I'm not a Kat Von D fan.

I recently bought one of her shade shifter eyeshadows.  I got the brown one called On the Road and it was the first shadow like it that I've ever used.  I'm impressed with it and I may purchase more products of hers based on that.

I've used several of her eyeshadow palettes and really liked them. The liquid liner pen also worked really well for me, although the pigmentation started to fade as it began drying out.

I just started using her lockit foundation and it is the best thing for my oily skin!! I only have to blot 2 to 3 times in a 12 hour day! The color is a little off but because of the oil control I will find a way to make it work.

I also use the Lock-It liquid foundation and absolutely love it. It is the only foundation that I have found that literally covers all of my post acne marks. It lasts ALL day long, and I only have to blot about once a day as well. Yes, it is very thick and hard to work with sometimes, but if you use a damp makeup brush I found it blends really nicely. 

I tried getting matched to her foundation, no dice, too pink for me. Then I started working at Sephora, and tried to get a concealer, no dice again. I did buy the new palette, spellbinding book of shadows or whatever it's called, but I think it's giving me allergies. I used it two days in a row, and my eyes were so DRY, it was horrible. IDK if it's the palette or what, so I stopped using it today, and today my eyes are fine. I am gonna try it again perhaps Friday, see if it's the palette or my eyes were just dry for some other reason, but it would be a shame if I'm allergic to it, because I love the colors, especially the reds/purples in it. 

I do definitely like her tattoo liner, it's really good. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Love the foundation and love the eyeliner (Especially the tattoo liner! It's my HG as is the foundation). My only complaint about the foundation is I do not care for it's smell when I apply it. It doesn't linger though, so it's no big deal. (Also, sometimes I'm weird with smells....like I hate how our bath towels and wash cloths smell. No I don't know why it's only the towel and washcloths.)

The powder foundation- It's...ok. I don't think I'd repurchase, but I like it alright. Also- the shades do not seem to match up to the liquid lock-it foundations. I could be wrong, though. It's more of a medium coverage (as opposed to the lock-it which is very full coverage). It is very convenient though...And I love the compact it comes in.

I have celebutard sample and it's a really great nude for me- which is a struggle for me, for some reason lol. It wore fine for me and stayed put, I would purchase the full size had it not been pulled (and I couldn't find it online either :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  )

I have the Lolita liquid lipstick and after about 4 hours it is a little drying, but to be fair I'm struggling with VERY DRY lips due to the weather. It stays put on me and a little balm fixes any problems I have. 

I have the Beethoven palette and really enjoy it- I only wish the pretty purple in the palette was as vibrant on (with no/minimal building) as it is in the pan! But a little building gets it to where I want it.

I LOVED the concealer when it was available in "porcelain"....they no longer have this super-pale shade for some reason, but I would definitely be using it if it were available or if I were darker (Which I'm just not able to do)

Overall I really enjoy the line, and I always recommend it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> A lot of times you can get eyeliner/eyeshadow sets on sale (How I first got into the line). I also got to try the foundation before I bought thanks to a nice Sephora SA.

Back