I've a few basic questions about makeup. Please answer this.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I do not have much knowledge about makeup stuff. So here are my questions.

1. I want more of a natural look rather than a totally makeup thing. And I did a small research and based on that, it seems like by using a primer and/or moisturizer, bb cream and a concealer, I can get a natural and more even and blemish free skin. So are these products sufficient?

2. After washing my face, what should be the first thing that needs to be applied? Is it moisturizer or primer? And if I apply primer, is it like I don't have to apply any moisturizer?

3. Again after the second step (as mentioned in the second question), which makeup tool needs to applied? Is it the bb cream first and then the concealer or the other way around?

Thanks in anticipation!

I'm not extremely well-versed in makeup, but I've been watching LOTS of videos on youtube, and I particularly like Michelle Phan's videos as she has some really good beginner videos and really each and every video shows her applying, so you know the look and the order.

Anyway, I'll try to help:

-After washing your face, you'll want to moisturize.

-Moisturizer first, primer second, makeup third.

-BB cream gives a nice, natural look. It's not full-coverage, which is what you're looking for, and it really just blurs imperfections and brightens, so it sounds like what you want. BB cream first, then concealer is what I do usually.

But here's my morning routine, which is a bit more in-depth:

1. Wash face with gentle cleanser

2. Use toner on cotton pad

3. Spritz face with facial mist

4. Apply moisturizer with benzoyl peroxide (to treat and prevent blemishes)

5. Apply eye cream

6. Apply moisturizer with SPF of at least 30

7. This is where face primer would go if you want it

8. Apply my BB cream with fingers

9. Apply under-eye concealer, and conceal any blemishes that you want (also use fingers)

10. Define brows

11. Apply mascara after wiping off excess from brush onto tissue (makes it apply more naturally and less clumpy.)

12. Do any extras you want (blush, eyeshadow, etc.)

You can see what products I use here: http://www.polyvore.com/my_skincare_regime/set?id=101967073

Quote: 1. I want more of a natural look rather than a totally makeup thing. And I did a small research and based on that, it seems like by using a primer and/or moisturizer, bb cream and a concealer, I can get a natural and more even and blemish free skin. So are these products sufficient?

- Yes and no. It depends on your skin and how much coverage you prefer/need. Although, if You use a CCcream (which has slightly more coverage and still looks natural), it's better for color correction.  I'm currently using a CC Plus concealer. and it works for my skin (trust, I have tons of scars). :x The only way to know is to experiment a little bit with coverage, different types of foundation/concealer until you get the right combo. 

Quote: 2. After washing my face, what should be the first thing that needs to be applied? Is it moisturizer or primer? And if I apply primer, is it like I don't have to apply any moisturizer?

-Always moisturize first! And if you do, sunscreen after that. BB and CC creams typically have built in spf. Primer goes on right before you put on your foundation. It is not a moisturizer, so you must a separate moisturizer. 

Quote: 3. Again after the second step (as mentioned in the second question), which makeup tool needs to applied? Is it the bb cream first and then the concealer or the other way around?

- It's up to the person. But typically, what I do is apply Foundation/BB/Cc cream first to get a base layer of make up. Then apply concealer so that the concealer has something to stick to. dot it on your face and lightly pat.  

Experiment and have fun!

1. A BB cream sounds perfect for you. Honestly, I don't bother with a primer much, because I haven't found one that I really care for yet.

2. I'm all about skincare (I am a manager of a spa and a skincare junkie lol). The basic steps for skincare are:

1. Cleanse

2. Tone
            3. Moisturize

However, if you go more in depth----or if you are like me, these are the steps taken:

1. Cleanse

2. (Your 2x weekly mask/exfoliate)

3. Tone (you always want to tone AFTER exfoliating or using a weekly mask)

4. Serum (face/eye)

5. Eye Cream 

6. Moisturize

7. SPF (this is only needed if you are going outdoors a lot. I work inside all day so I only apply SPF in the summer. There is a huge difference when SPF is in a moisturizer, or if you are buying SPF specifically for the face. I will go into that if anyone has questions lol, I could go-on all day about this!)

3. Concealer is more of a personal preference. When spot treating blemishes, I use concealer before foundation, then I use concealer under my eye after foundation. 

Quote: Originally Posted by lanabuch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

7. SPF (this is only needed if you are going outdoors a lot. I work inside all day so I only apply SPF in the summer. There is a huge difference when SPF is in a moisturizer, or if you are buying SPF specifically for the face. I will go into that if anyone has questions lol, I could go-on all day about this!)
I'm interested in hearing you go on all day about this! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I am kind of obsessed with SPF lately.

I started wearing SPF of 15 on my face every day two years ago, then moved on to SPF 30 last year and right now I'm still doing that- EVERY DAY on my face, neck, back of neck, and decolletage. Even if I'm going to be indoors all day, even if it's cloudy out, even in the winter.

I thought it was important to wear SPF even in the winter, because of the UVA rays?

I want to know more! Especially about the difference between SPF in a moisturizer and SPF specifically for the face.

Also, do you know much about layering? Like, if I use a facial moisturizer with SPF 30, then later I put on a BB cream with SPF 30, how does that work? Can they work together/against each other, is it like... doubling up SPF?

So, please, do go on, I can listen to SPF talk all day, hehehe.

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm interested in hearing you go on all day about this! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I am kind of obsessed with SPF lately.

I started wearing SPF of 15 on my face every day two years ago, then moved on to SPF 30 last year and right now I'm still doing that- EVERY DAY on my face, neck, back of neck, and decolletage. Even if I'm going to be indoors all day, even if it's cloudy out, even in the winter.

I thought it was important to wear SPF even in the winter, because of the UVA rays?

I want to know more! Especially about the difference between SPF in a moisturizer and SPF specifically for the face.

Also, do you know much about layering? Like, if I use a facial moisturizer with SPF 30, then later I put on a BB cream with SPF 30, how does that work? Can they work together/against each other, is it like... doubling up SPF?

So, please, do go on, I can listen to SPF talk all day, hehehe.
 If you are in and out of your car all day in the winter, I would wear it. I don't because I go straight to work, park in a parking garage, and stay inside all day lol

SPF in a face lotion/moisturizer is a chemical sunblock. So basically it takes 30 minutes before it activates, and you have to keep on applying it all day to be effective....even if it is SPF 80! 

I always recommend something like Elemis Liquid Layer SPF 30 because it is a physical sunblock. When you put it on it works immediately and you don't have to worry about applying it all day. Anything that has the ingredient titanium dioxide or zinc oxide in it is a good face or body SPF to go with!

They can work together, and its probably good that you are applying another SPF if it is a chemical one :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wouldn't buy a primer just yet, to be honest. Find a BB Cream, CC Cream orTinted Moisturizer that you like first and see how it wears on your skin. You may find that you don't need a primer at all and there's no point in wasting your money. For many people properly moisturizing the skin is all the priming needed.

If you do end up getting a primer, moisturize first. Prime second.

As for application, everyone has their own "best" method. You can get a group of people all applying the same product, all using different tools. Since you will be applying a light coverage product, try using your fingers first. (be sure to wash them beforehand!) Again you don't want to waste money on brushes, if you don't need to. Honestly, my fingers give the best results for a few foundations and BB Creams I've tried. If you don't like the results, you will just have to experiment with sponges and brushes. There is no one-size-fits-all answer here.

I pretty much only ever do the natural look, and I find that taking care of my skin eliminates a lot of makeup that I have to apply.

I stick with a cleanser (and scrub or mask every so often), then use a moisturizer, acne spot stick, and if my skin is particularly dry I'll add some coconut oil to do extra moisturizing. I never use a primer because I find that my makeup stays well enough without it.  I agree LillyT - wait to buy a primer if you really feel like you need it.

For a super natural look I pretty do a little bit of concealer under my eyes and on any other spots around my face and then use mineral powder foundation to even out my skin tone. Then I'll just add a little bit of eye makeup - either liquid eyeliner, mascara, or neutral eyeshadow.  I honestly don't have time or energy to do anything else in the morning when I'm trying to run out the door.  On days that I have more time, I'll do some blush and extra eyeshadow, but I keep it super neutral.

Hope that helps!

Caitlin

Quote: Originally Posted by lanabuch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
   If you are in and out of your car all day in the winter, I would wear it. I don't because I go straight to work, park in a parking garage, and stay inside all day lol

SPF in a face lotion/moisturizer is a chemical sunblock. So basically it takes 30 minutes before it activates, and you have to keep on applying it all day to be effective....even if it is SPF 80! 

I always recommend something like Elemis Liquid Layer SPF 30 because it is a physical sunblock. When you put it on it works immediately and you don't have to worry about applying it all day. Anything that has the ingredient titanium dioxide or zinc oxide in it is a good face or body SPF to go with!

They can work together, and its probably good that you are applying another SPF if it is a chemical one :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Are all face lotion/moisturizer SPFs chemical? I thought that some were physical, which is why people complain of flashback or white cast in the face due to lotions/moisturizers/foundations with spf?

Quote: Originally Posted by kotoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Are all face lotion/moisturizer SPFs chemical? I thought that some were physical, which is why people complain of flashback or white cast in the face due to lotions/moisturizers/foundations with spf?
Titanium Oxide is commonly used as a natural sunblock and it often gives a white cast. It's a common ingredient in mineral makeup.

As a side note, in order for a product to claim SPF protection, they must undergo a series of expensive testing in order to make that claim. I've seen a lot of smaller companies claim SPF on the basis that their product contains titanium oxide or another natural sunblocking ingredient. Just because it contains those ingredients does not make it SPF. Under the FDA, in order to make a SPF claim, the product must meet minimum standards in testing to fall under a certain range of SPF strength.

Quote: Originally Posted by Deareux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Titanium Oxide is commonly used as a natural sunblock and it often gives a white cast. It's a common ingredient in mineral makeup.

As a side note, in order for a product to claim SPF protection, they must undergo a series of expensive testing in order to make that claim. I've seen a lot of smaller companies claim SPF on the basis that their product contains titanium oxide or another natural sunblocking ingredient. Just because it contains those ingredients does not make it SPF. Under the FDA, in order to make a SPF claim, the product must meet minimum standards in testing to fall under a certain range of SPF strength.
So does that mean that mainstream products claiming to have SPF really do have the sun protection? Or just that the FDA regulates it...?

Quote: Originally Posted by kotoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So does that mean that mainstream products claiming to have SPF really do have the sun protection? Or just that the FDA regulates it...?
Yes, they should. In order for a product to state that they have SPF [number], that product had to be tested to meet FDA standards of protection effectiveness.

Agreed, the FDA regulates it. Here in Canada, a DIN number (drug identification number) is listed on the product from Health Canada, stating that the rated SPF number has met their testing requirements. Companies can claim all they want, but by law, they must meet the countries' health regulations.

Back