Questions about Oil Cleansing Method

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!

please read my small introduction ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but you can skip to my questions below.. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really have oily skin and lots acne.. well not SUPER DUPER MANY acne.. at any point in time, I have around 2- 4 pimples.. they are not those super angry red cystic ones.. but once I get an acne, even a very small one, the acne scars last for about a month before it completely heals..  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and even before the acne marks are gone a new acnes are growing all over my face.. so my skin looks like the fur of a giraffe or something.. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

anyway.. I have a very low self-esteem and was so depressed .. So I completely gave up on trying to be beautiful and just let it be like that..

fast forward to the future>> I had recently had a life-changing moment so now I am again trying to be beautiful.. I searched around the internet for some homemade natural ways for improving skin and I came upon OCM or the Oil Cleansing Method..

So of course I need castor oil and based on my research I think I also need the following:

Jojoba Oil /  Sunflower Seed Oil

Tea Tree Oil

Rosehip Oil

Sandalwood

And I am planning to make this formula:

10ml Castor Oil

7ml Jojoba Oil / Sunflower Seed Oil 

1ml Tea Tree Oil

1ml Rosehip Oil

1ml Sandalwood Oil

So that would be about:

50% Castor Oil

35% Jojoba Oil / Sunflower Seed Oil

5% Tea Tree Oil

5% Rosehip Oil

5% Sandalwood Oil

Now my questions are:

1. are any of these have a bad combination or something? Like for example I heard it is not good to combine Castor Oil with Grapeseed because they are both skin-drying so it's better to substitute a nourishing or moisturizing oil instead like Jojoba Oil / Sunflower Seed Oil

2. Which do you think is better? Jojoba Oil / Sunflower Seed Oil (though i think i won't be able to afford jojoba)

3. Do you think my proportions are correct? need comments :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> or more recommendations

4. Can I use a sterile gauze instead of a washcloth? (i'm just being obsessive-compulsive here)

5. Do you know an online shop that sells all of those oils and can ship to the philippines? (cheaper ones if possible because I only have a $100 budget and I am hoping to make a 1-L mixture out of it)

6. What is the volume of the oil solution consumed per use?

7. What should I use during the morning and some evenings when I am not using OCM?

8. I heard that we may need to wipe our face with a warm washcloth a number of times in order to completely remove all excess oils.. but how many oil washings should I do per "session"?

Sorry if this a very long post with lots of questions.. but I do need help and I am looking forward to your replies!

Love Lots,

Dianne

EDIT:

for added info, this is how my skin looks like... 

eeeewww, right? :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The beauty of OCM is that it's infinitely variable to suit different skin types. I would say, start out simple with castor oil and a carrier oil that suits your skin type. The first couple of weeks, your job is to figure out what ratio of castor to carrier oil is best for your skin. After that, add other oils that you think might be beneficial in other ways than just cleansing.

I started out with a mix of castor, almond, and tea tree oil and found that the castor oil was too thick no matter how much (or little) I used, so I got rid of it altogether. I'm also quite a minimalist when it comes to skin care, so keeping up with complicated mixtures got old quickly. Now I just use grapeseed oil by itself and it's perfect (I used to have combination/dry acne-prone skin that congested easily, that has since normalized). I do wear sunscreen, foundation and powder every day, so I know it works. Experimentation is key, nothing is set in stone.

As for how many times you should cleanse with OCM, once at night should be enough. Be thorough when you steam and wipe off with whatever cloth you choose. I prefer small terry washcloths - I have enough to use a fresh one every night, and they all get washed on laundry day with baking soda. I personally don't steam anymore. When I used castor oil, steaming was necessary because it's quite thick and doesn't wipe off easily. With grapeseed oil I just need to wipe with a warm washcloth and be done.

The amount of oil you use will be up to you and how much you are happy with. I'm quite generous with grapeseed oil (a little more than a teaspoon), but only because I like how it feels, not necessarily because it's more effective. Again, experimentation is key.

I would also warn against making large batches, since oils can go rancid and different oils have different lifespans. I wouldn't make more than 2-3 oz at a time and make sure to store the mixture as well as the individual ingredients in a cool, dark place. Making small batches also allows you to experiment with each batch until you get it right.

I know I love OCM and it's changed my skin in all the ways I hoped conventional skincare would, but it took some experimentation and practical decision making to get to where I was most happy with it. Hope it works out for you!

Back