Can you help me about this nail problem ?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, so i have this problem: my nails are cracked. I am not on any diet, and i take vitamins and eat almost everything, i'm not biting my nails. , so i have no idea where this problem comes from.... here is a picture, they are kinda yellow too, not much but they look darker than my all friends .. I don't smoke....

http://postimg.org/image/mlw8eqe2r/

Even when they are short they start peeling :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ...
I want to have a manicure, but I can't because of this problem. Can you give me somI e advice what can I do.. or buy. And I'm from Bulgaria so.... I am using
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QCnNNueUsOg/T_GO9Jnag-I/AAAAAAAAAXU/aTc4_sc3VfI/s320/DSCN3633.JPG -

- The Hardner 5 in 1 ... it makes them a little harder, but only when i'm with the hardner....but almost no difference

Please help me, Thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)
Sorry for my bad english ^^

Hi!

Your nails don't look too yellow, at least on my computer screen.  I was expecting a lot worse in your picture from what you described, haha.

My nails flake up like yours too.  It could be from a lot of different reasons.

Some of the most popular reasons for this to happen include:

- vitamin deficiency, especially iron, vitamin b, vitamin d, magnesium, zinc, calcium.

- nail fungus (although yours don't look like fungus in my opinion)

- heredity

-thyroid issues (under active thyroid)

-topical treatments (some nail polishes, even ones saying it'll make your nails stronger, often times dry them out, causing brittleness and making them break or peel)

- dehydration (of the skin/nails and the body)

-prolonged exposure to water, dry air

I have the same problem, so I always apply a clear coat when I don't want to use colored polish. It's more of a workaround than a real solution, but at least they won't break. When you want to get them painted, just remove it.

I have the same problem, generally described as 'peeling' nails or 'brittle' nails though these two can be somewhat different: if the primary problem is that the layers of nail split in the plane of the nail, that is peeling (sometimes also referred to as splitting, though it is never clear which way from that term); if the nails break every which way in the plane and perpendicular to the plane, that is brittle. I have peeling nails. It doesn't really badly get in the way of polishing or growing the nails because when there is nail polish on them, it holds together the layers of nail preventing the peeling from temporarily being apparent, and the polish makes them more rigid, so the thinner end of the nail cannot break off.

My suggestion #1 is to regularly moisturize your hands and nails. Massage in the moisturizer (any kind, an oil is also fine) and pay attention to your cuticles and moisturizing above and under the tip of the nail and the full length of the finger.

#2 - Wear nail polish! This can be colour or clear coat. [Obviously with colour the mess at the tip of the nail is less apparent; but sometimes the colour will end up between the tip nail layers, where it cannot be removed until the nail grows out or the layer breaks off - just wear the same colour or other opaque colours in that case.] This might hold together the nails so that they can grow and gain length. If you are lucky with this regimen, you will get to the point where you have some length and can cut off the entire peeling end, possibly stopping the pattern. [This hasn't happened for me.] Even if not, the nails will not break as much while they are polished. Try to keep the nails in good polished condition, re-applying topcoat when needed, but avoid changing the polish until you have a chip. When it chips, fix it if that is possible by reapplying the polish on that nail. Do not leave the nail in "bad polished and chipped" condition as I find it can be vulnerable to more peeling at that point. Never start to peel off the polish without remover as this will certainly peel off a layer of nail, causing more damage.

#3 - Be super careful when removing the polish. Use remover; be gentle; move the cotton ball/swab only toward the tip of the nail to remove polish. When the nails are cleaned, take the time to moisturize your hands and nails for a few hours if you can before reapplying polish. (You will have to clean the surface of the nail before reapplying polish.)

#4 - As much as possible, do not slide a nail or tool between the layers to split off the broken layer. If it is still mostly holding together, leave it alone (you'll cover it with polish and it will help to keep the tip more rigid). If it is loose, use a file or clipper to remove only the loose part but do not file down the thickness of the nail anywhere else.

#5 - Some with this problem swear by (find very important) using a glass file. I've tried; it makes little difference for me. But no matter what file you use, file in one direction and finish with a fine file (or even buffing file/buffer) as it seems to help to seal the tip of the nail and layers together.

I've been doing this and in contrast to "no polish living" where my nails always stayed short due to breakage because of the thin end due to peeling, they can now grow. Some tips peel more than others, but they usually hold together when they are polished.

Good luck!

My nails constantly do that and its the most frustrating thing ever so this thread is very useful to me.

My problem is I was want to pick at them which makes it worse, I just try to always keep a polish on it so I can't see it.

I have found that there seem to be many nail shapes and types. But your nail shade isn't yellow to me at all in this picture. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This is excellent advice, @Monika1! I also have "peeling" or "flaking" nails. This has lead me to get acrylic sets at different points in my life, but they are so hard on my natural nail! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So, I try to keep mine polished to prevent the separation of the layers.

I have peeling nails. I find keeping them polishes helps, and so does removing the polish before it chips. When it chips, it almost always start a new peeling spot. I've heard OPI Nail Envy helps heal peeling, but I've never tried it.

@wrkreads I have used Nail Envy. I received it as a gift from my mom a few years ago. It honestly did strengthen my nails and help them grow out nice and healthy. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But I also found that it gave my nails an odd "yellowish" tone after a while. I used it sparingly after that until I used up the bottle and never repurchased. It is certainly worth a try! My nails could have just been odd! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OK - I got the Sally Hansen gel nails kit and will be trying it out too over the next while - I'm curious to see how it will influence the tips of my nails. I'll try to report back on how that works!

Back