Hired as Fragrances Seasonal Employee but I don't even wear Fragrances! Help!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the title basically says it all. I was recently hired as a seasonal employee at Macy's and I applied for the beauty advisor position since I know a lot more about makeup, but they gave me a job for fragrances instead. But the thing is I don't know the first thing about fragrances. I never had a real bottle of fragrance my whole life and the training I received wasn't all that helpful. Can anyone give me some advice in how I go about with this situation? My first shift will be within a week and I don't know where to even begin with sales. Plus they only scheduled me for 2 days this upcoming week. Does that mean I only get to work those 2 days during the Thanksgiving week?

What you'll do is walk around the cosmetic, women's, or men's departments with a bottle and bunch of blotters. You'll mist NOT spray or saturate the blotters, and hand them out to whomever will take it from you, and you'll have to explain to the person the fragrance you're demo'ing, the fragrance manager will tell you the selling points like what the top, middle and base notes are, and how to properly mist a blotter card. Your job will last during the Thanksgiving / Christmas shopping weeks, IF you can sell one or two bottles, or one or two fragrance gift boxes or baskets in the two days that you're scheduled. Fragrance gift boxes usually sell better closer to Christmas, where a BA can easily move ten boxes in a shift. But not so far in advance, and it's not even Thanksgiving yet...

So I can get fired from not selling anything my first couple days there? I heard seasonal employees work during the six week holiday period.... Now I'm really getting nervous haha

Quote: Originally Posted by simplemakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So I can get fired from not selling anything my first couple days there? I heard seasonal employees work during the six week holiday period.... Now I'm really getting nervous haha

Only your store / floor / department manager would be able to answer that for you. 

Yes, I agree with ZeeOmega. And yes, you're hired because it's the busy season. Meh, don't be nervous, the manager will walk you through it. But don't worry I was nervous too my first time out with a bottle and a stack of cards... Remember, if you're not sure, ask your manager. It can be a touchy area if you ask a fellow employee... If you do, you're taking your life into your own hands... In other words, they will either help you or snub you... Welcome to the wonderful world of retail cosmetics... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by simplemakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So the title basically says it all. I was recently hired as a seasonal employee at Macy's and I applied for the beauty advisor position since I know a lot more about makeup, but they gave me a job for fragrances instead. But the thing is I don't know the first thing about fragrances. I never had a real bottle of fragrance my whole life and the training I received wasn't all that helpful. Can anyone give me some advice in how I go about with this situation? My first shift will be within a week and I don't know where to even begin with sales. Plus they only scheduled me for 2 days this upcoming week. Does that mean I only get to work those 2 days during the Thanksgiving week?
I imagine they scheduled you for two doys this week so they coincide with time that someone is there to assist and direct you. If you inspire confidence in them and do well at selling, I imagine you can ask for, and get, more hours.

Back