Help! No idea where to start!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a farm girl who's basically been a tomboy all her life.  But having been watching What Not To Wear lately, I see what an amazing transformation just a little bit of makeup can make.

So I went online, but now I'm overwhelmed!  I need some handholding.

Can anyone help?  I really don't know where to start....

Thanks,

Tracy

In order for you to be not too overwhelmed, ask one question that you have an interest in, like for example: how do I put on foundation? Or how do I do my eyes? And go from there. You'll find a lot of members here who will help guide you through your journey. Remember, step-by-step is the best way for not being too overwhelmed. Good luck.

I would probably start with a basic routine.  Maybe some tinted moisturizer or BB cream to even out your skin tone (if needed) a light shimmery eyeshadow on the lid, a champagne or taupe color looks good on almost everyone, a coat or 2 of mascara, and a nice pinky nude lip stick or gloss.  As you get more comfortable add more colors (I love purple eyeliner) and more products.  Hope that helps a little!

I'd recommend starting out with drugstore products. I started with covergirl foundation (at the time they were the only company that had a pale enough foundation for me). Once you find one you like, trying applying it different ways. I used my fingers for a while but now I like to use a flat top brush to apply my BB cream - I use the flat top brush by sonia kashuk. For foundation I would recommend starting with a standard foundation brush. I only use a flat top because my BB creams are usually very thick. Foundation will give you decent coverage depending on what brands and types you purchase. Tinted moisturizers tend to be thinner in consistency and offer less coverage, similar with most drugstore BB creams I've seen. For eyes, decide what colours you want to work with. I'd recommend black or brown eyeliner to start with, and black or brown mascara. Choose a couple eyeshadow colours you want to try - pale colours are good for brightening your eyes and thus often used as a highlight under the brows. Try watching makeup tutorials on YouTube, too. Like searching "Everyday Makeup Routine". Not everyone on YouTube has perfect skills so it will be helpful for you starting out learning from non-professionals first. You'll learn basic application and maybe see different looks you can play with to find something you're comfortable with.

Since you're essentially a beginner I would suggest the drugstore route as well.

Do you have minor imperfections you wish to cover but don't need full coverage? Consider a tinted moisturizer or US "BB Creams" (which are tinted moisturizers). If you need more coverage then try a cream foundation.

Mascara, some lip gloss and maybe if you're comfortable either a blush stick or cream blush opposed to powder. As you become more comfortable add on eyeliner and change up the colors. I don't know your coloring but for starters I would recommend brown or gray eyeliner opposed to black or colorful ones until you become comfortable.

OK, I think I'm starting to get it.  Thanks so much!  I just feel so awkward and stupid.  I'm a middle aged woman, fer crying out loud!

Don't worry, I felt the same way when I first started, heck I didn't even know the difference between eyeliner and lip liner pencils... So never beat yourself up over learning something new. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> At least you got a starting point on where to buy product - drugstores and someone mentioned YouTube for how-to tutorials. There are so many vids there, most are misses than hits, but at least it's a starting point. For further clarification on a YouTube how-to lesson, you can always ask a Beauty Advisor at a drugstore and / or you can always ask here.

Quote: Originally Posted by tslord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  OK, I think I'm starting to get it.  Thanks so much!  I just feel so awkward and stupid.  I'm a middle aged woman, fer crying out loud!

Oh goodness! Do NOT feel that way!

Quote: Originally Posted by tslord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be proud of yourself that you are coming for help!

My names Amanda, and I'd be happy to help with any questions you have.

Here are a couple of ideas:

1. Go to Ulta which is a huge makeup store. What I like about Ulta for beginners is that it is broken up into 5 sections:

- Drugstore Makeup

-Prestige Makeup

-Salon

-Haircare

-Fragrance

Ulta is staffed with many people who know all about makeup and they will help you if you ask. So go to Ulta if you can Target and Walmart are also good.. and pick out about 5 products.

2. Pick out 5 basic products. Start with a BB cream, concealer, blush, mascara, and a lipstick or colored balm.

For BB cream I recommend Rimmel London BB cream SPF 25

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod4950057

There are only 3 colors of this BB cream so it should be easy for you to choose one (if your having trouble, post a picture of your skin and we can help you.)

You can use either a brush (which I may skip in the beginning) or fingers. Put a quarter size amount on the back of your hand and rub in all over your face, just like you'd apply lotion. You can go back and add a bit more in areas that you feel need more coverage. You can also use disposable makeup sponges, but make sure to use a fresh one daily.

For concealer I'd recommend cover girl & olay concealer stick

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2253980&productId=xlsImpprod4960083&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat80024

I like this concealer because it is creamy and can be used in a pinch as a light foundation if you apply in trouble spots.

Use the stick to apply under eyes and over any blemishes, red spots, dark spots, etc. Blend with your finger in a soft patting motion.

Blush - There are lots and lots of options. I'd opt for a nice coral or med. pink. E.L.F. has great blush.

Rich rose is really nice. http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio/face/blush/baked_blush

Also I like candid coral: http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio/face/blush/studio_blush

NYX (sold at Ulta) has great blushes. -- Rose garden is nice.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3020029&skuId=2226107&cmpid=PS_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&CAWELAID=777896006&catargetid=330000200000032687&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla#

For mascara I love... Almay get up and grow

Get the blackest black you can get and you may want to try the waterproof formula.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod2940195#

For lipstick/colored balm... you can literally do anything. I like Maybelline's Baby Lips in the color ... cherry me. (My mom wears this and so do I.) It is a sheer light berry/red that just looks like a cherry Popsicle stained your lips a  little. It also smells nice and tastes good.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3800003#

Once you feel comfortable with a little routine, you can add from there.

See, I don't even know what "BB cream" is.  I had to google it!  But thanks for all the info.  It's overwhelming, but I'll try to focus just on what's been said here and start from square one.  Thanks!

So with good makeup you need a good skin care system, if you don't have healthy skin then your makeup will not work/look how you want it to. Start by figuring out what your skin type is and then once you know more about your skin you will then be able to see what products will be useful. Because if you used foundations or powders that are not right for your skin type you will not be a fan of the outcome look.​
 ​
Now as a Master Esthetician I have used many different lines but they one I would recommend for a starter is Control Corrective.​
 ​
They are easy to follow and understand plus very affordable! You don't need to buy a 200$ cream or cleanser for starting.​
 ​
Now time for the makeup; so with makeup there is indeed many companies and brands that are out there in the world. When I was first starting my makeup collection I just simply went to drug stores, bought the cheapest things and worked my way up to more better items. But if you really just want to dive right in then I would start buy going to your local Sephora & have the professionals help you in your adventure.In the makeup world its all about exploring and testing what you like, their is never a wrong or right place to buy from, put your foot in the water and test it!​

Okay so first...

If you have any pimples, dark circles, or discoloration then use a concealer, its better for a beginner (in my opinion) than foundation. I recommend the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer, its around 6 bucks. Just dot it on any areas and pat it in with your ring finger, it's the most delicate. If your skin is flawless then skip this step.

Then you want to set that concealer with a powder, to ensure it stays on. I use the Rimmel Stay Matte powder, around 4 bucks. Just put it on with a powder brush, several brands have one. You could also set it with a powder foundation if your face still looks like it could need some more coverage., such as the Maybelline Mineral Power Powder Foundation. I think it's lovely, it's around 8 bucks. 

For a blush, Wet n' Wild blushes are pigmented although i've never tried it. Buy a blush brush and apply it to the apples of your cheeks.

If you want to do bronzer, I'd recommend the NYC smooth skin matte bronzing powder in Sunny. It's around 3 bucks and looks natural. Apply this to the contours of your cheeks (or just do a fish face) with ELFs professional bronzing brush that's only a buck. 

For the eyes....

If you don't wanna do eyeliner, then by all means don't. But if you do.... I like the covergirl perfect point plus, I use mine in the shade espresso but you may want to use a black color depending on your hair/skin color. it's up to you, but brown is more natural.  Do it on your upper lash line and just smudge a bit on your lower for a more natural look.

For eyeshadow just do a lid color, i'd avoid a color in your crease. Apply a champagne, gold, or taupe color eyeshadow, whichever compliments your eye color or skin color best. 

Then just apply a black mascara, I use the Maybelline Colossal Volum Express. Great Lash is a classic. Covergirl also makes some nice mascaras. 

For your eyebrows (if you want to do anything) just apply a clear mascara, I use the elf duo , it was a buck at Target.

Lips....

If you want to do lipstick, I personally like Rimmel lipsticks. My favorite is "Nude Delight" its a very natural but pretty color. 

For gloss I like Rimmel Stay Glossy lipglosses. I'd pick a pink color. 

Best of luck in the makeup world ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

-Nina

Back