Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jaylilee

A lurker going on a serious no-buy! new at this. need tips?

Recommended Posts

Ok, 

 

HI GUYS! so long story short, I've been a part of MUTalk for like 2 years but only came on to lurk... :ninja: mostly, I just spent way too much time on other sites like makeupalley, but after a rough wakeup call this weekend where my husband and I saw the balance on our CC (4K! omg...), I have decided to go on a full no-buy until I finish up MOST if not all of my makeup stash, hair care, skin care, etc. I had been toying with the idea for a while but never committed to it. Now it's not only a mission to save space but to curve that buying habit. good lord.

 

Granted, a lot of that was due to family emergencies, but this makeup addict's habit wasn't making it better. I'm coming out of hiding finally.

 

My question to you awesome souls is, what do you guys do to be able to make it through no-buys? what do you use as incentives? I've created a tumblr to track my "progress" so I feel accomplished, but sometimes it's so hardddddd to continue using the same stuff especially as new shinies keep coming out. at the same time, I am not one to waste anything, so I refuse to get rid of items that I can still use and are perfectly fine. 

 

Can no buys be fun or will it forever be a chore to use up all of those items? halp!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many of us here on MUT doing low/no buys. I've been having a successful run by staying out Sephora/Ulta, etc, deleting the emails from them and like stores, etc.

 

I have been having a great time participating in this thread:

 

http://www.makeuptalk.com/t/138575/the-monday-club

 

and our own little support group:

 

http://www.makeuptalk.com/t/138711/november-2013-no-low-buy-thread

 

 

You can do it! Just take it day by day and make the commitment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by page5 View Post
 

There are many of us here on MUT doing low/no buys. I've been having a successful run by staying out Sephora/Ulta, etc, deleting the emails from them and like stores, etc.

 

I have been having a great time participating in this thread:

 

http://www.makeuptalk.com/t/138575/the-monday-club

 

and our own little support group:

 

http://www.makeuptalk.com/t/138711/november-2013-no-low-buy-thread

 

 

You can do it! Just take it day by day and make the commitment. 

Ohhh! thank you! I will be definitely jumping into these for moral support. I think the taking it day by day will be key here because... man it's overwhelming. I didn't think I had this much stuff but I have WAY too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ohhh! thank you! I will be definitely jumping into these for moral support. I think the taking it day by day will be key here because... man it's overwhelming. I didn't think I had this much stuff but I have WAY too much.
Ooh, the Monday Club will be perfect for you! The general idea: Shop your stash weekly. It's really interesting to realize how my stance on various products change when I use them every single day for a solid week.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaganola View Post


Ooh, the Monday Club will be perfect for you! The general idea: Shop your stash weekly. It's really interesting to realize how my stance on various products change when I use them every single day for a solid week.

Yes! I've been reading through it and already jumped in. This forum will definitely make it a lot easier to use up and enjoy what I have, rather than buy more stuff and let the old ones sit there languishing! (Hi, by the way!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you get close to the end, having a goal of writing an empties post either on the empties thread or on your own blog/site is a great motivator! I love reading empties posts the best of all, because people really know how they feel about the product once they've used it all up. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotoko View Post
 

Once you get close to the end, having a goal of writing an empties post either on the empties thread or on your own blog/site is a great motivator! I love reading empties posts the best of all, because people really know how they feel about the product once they've used it all up. :)

Definitely! I've spent way too much time on google looking up empties videos/posts/project pan posts as way to see what people REALLY love. I mean, there's an abundance and a half of haul videos but we never find out if people actually ended up liking the products. I'm hoping to keep my own little blog (and probably post my items i use up on the empties threads) as ways to track my progress and also have a record of what I DID like so I know what will need to be replaced vs what I can just say "whew! thank goodness that's out of my life."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylilee View Post
 

Definitely! I've spent way too much time on google looking up empties videos/posts/project pan posts as way to see what people REALLY love. I mean, there's an abundance and a half of haul videos but we never find out if people actually ended up liking the products. I'm hoping to keep my own little blog (and probably post my items i use up on the empties threads) as ways to track my progress and also have a record of what I DID like so I know what will need to be replaced vs what I can just say "whew! thank goodness that's out of my life."

Hehe, yes!

 

I'm even tempted to make a blog of only empties just for my own benefit! XD But I don't have as extensive of a stash as some people, so it might get boring. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotoko View Post
 

Hehe, yes!

 

I'm even tempted to make a blog of only empties just for my own benefit! XD But I don't have as extensive of a stash as some people, so it might get boring. :P

 

Do it! It's still fun, plus a way to stay accountable I think. Even if it's just for you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would be interesting is to take a pic of everything you used up in a month and another pic of everything you bought that same month! If I had done this I might have started my low buy sooner, ha ha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by page5 View Post
 

What would be interesting is to take a pic of everything you used up in a month and another pic of everything you bought that same month! If I had done this I might have started my low buy sooner, ha ha. 

Actually, that's a really great idea. Also maybe adding up the totals of what the purchases were in contrast to the makeup. because honestly, i always feel like i can spend WAY too much (by doing a lot of "smaller" purchases rather than one big splurge) and only come home with a couple of items. then I remember how much in groceries that could have covered... ugh! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! I'm new to MUT and mostly joined for the no buy support forums. I think I need to go on a no buy until I finish Christmas shopping, and then give myself a monthly budget! I've spent an ungodly amount of $ on makeup in the last 6 months, because I used to only have a bag of makeup and it is now a mini collection. I'm thinking, once I'm done my xmas shopping, the low buy status will be $100 a month, including the repurchase of essential items. I also like the idea of recording it on a blog, what sites do you all use? I was thinking tumblr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen283 View Post

Hello! I'm new to MUT and mostly joined for the no buy support forums. I think I need to go on a no buy until I finish Christmas shopping, and then give myself a monthly budget! I've spent an ungodly amount of $ on makeup in the last 6 months, because I used to only have a bag of makeup and it is now a mini collection.

I'm thinking, once I'm done my xmas shopping, the low buy status will be $100 a month, including the repurchase of essential items. I also like the idea of recording it on a blog, what sites do you all use? I was thinking tumblr.

Yeah, I joined and only came out of hiding for the no buy support forum too. I definitely need to use up what i have! (just counted my eyeshadows...i have over 70 of them. 20-ish blushes. way too much for one face. ugh. and the massive amounts of skin products.) 100 is a pretty generous amount, I think. Perhaps if you really need to go on a strict no buy, start yourself at 100 a month then work your way to lower amounts until you feel no need to buy things! I mean, $100 a month adds up quick in 12 months. I use tumblr! Idk, it's easy enough to update. I've seen a lot of people who will do kind of a review of their items they use up and I figured this would be a good way to encourage myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • NARS Cosmetics Shop Cargo Cosmetics Today!


  • Posts

    • Let's share Halloween makeup looks! 👻 I've attached a few of mine and I'd love to see yours, please share them!
    • The green and yellow look a little out of place, but otherwise this looks like a great palette! I have the Jeffree Star Blue Blood Palette and I love it! His formulas are really pigmented and they're pretty easy to blend too. 
    • Hyaluronic acid has been a go-to item for people with dry skin. Other things you can change with your routine is to try to not stay on the shower for a long time especially if you shower or bather in warm water. Use toners that hydrate skin. Also, put on your moisturizer while skin is damp to really pack in the hydration.   Just some of the few you can do.
    • I just placed an order on this pallet and I want to know your opinion  https://nadininebrushes.com/products/jeffree-star-palette
    • Sometimes it seems to me that students don't always understand the essence of their problem. Studying at a college or university takes a lot of time, we all went through this. I don't dispute someone else's choice. You can buy an essay if it makes your life easier. But such students must think through their actions. Check ready-made assignments. Use code plagiarism detector. It would be stupid if you get caught plagiarizing. Education fees are high enough to risk your reputation with just a few sheets of text.

About MakeupTalk®

© 2003-2018 MakeupTalk.com®, an active online community and message board geared towards members wanting to discuss everything to do with makeup, cosmetics, product reviews, monthly subscription boxes and general beauty related topics. Our community provides product reviews, makeup and general beauty tips. Our most popular topics are subscription boxes and their monthly spoilers. Join our community for free to take part in the conversations and share your own beauty tips and product reviews with others. We look forward to seeing you online here at Makeuptalk®!

MakeupTalk® Facebook

×