A lurker going on a serious no-buy! new at this. need tips?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaylilee

Obsessed with colored powder
Reaction score
Ok, 

HI GUYS! so long story short, I've been a part of MUTalk for like 2 years but only came on to lurk... 
ninja.gif
 mostly, I just spent way too much time on other sites like makeupalley, but after a rough wakeup call this weekend where my husband and I saw the balance on our CC (4K! omg...), I have decided to go on a full no-buy until I finish up MOST if not all of my makeup stash, hair care, skin care, etc. I had been toying with the idea for a while but never committed to it. Now it's not only a mission to save space but to curve that buying habit. good lord.

Granted, a lot of that was due to family emergencies, but this makeup addict's habit wasn't making it better. I'm coming out of hiding finally.

My question to you awesome souls is, what do you guys do to be able to make it through no-buys? what do you use as incentives? I've created a tumblr to track my "progress" so I feel accomplished, but sometimes it's so hardddddd to continue using the same stuff especially as new shinies keep coming out. at the same time, I am not one to waste anything, so I refuse to get rid of items that I can still use and are perfectly fine. 

Can no buys be fun or will it forever be a chore to use up all of those items? halp!

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  There are many of us here on MUT doing low/no buys. I've been having a successful run by staying out Sephora/Ulta, etc, deleting the emails from them and like stores, etc.

I have been having a great time participating in this thread:

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/138575/the-monday-club

and our own little support group:

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/138711/november-2013-no-low-buy-thread

You can do it! Just take it day by day and make the commitment. 
Ohhh! thank you! I will be definitely jumping into these for moral support. I think the taking it day by day will be key here because... man it's overwhelming. I didn't think I had this much stuff but I have WAY too much.

Ohhh! thank you! I will be definitely jumping into these for moral support. I think the taking it day by day will be key here because... man it's overwhelming. I didn't think I had this much stuff but I have WAY too much.
Ooh, the Monday Club will be perfect for you! The general idea: Shop your stash weekly. It's really interesting to realize how my stance on various products change when I use them every single day for a solid week.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ooh, the Monday Club will be perfect for you! The general idea: Shop your stash weekly. It's really interesting to realize how my stance on various products change when I use them every single day for a solid week.
Yes! I've been reading through it and already jumped in. This forum will definitely make it a lot easier to use up and enjoy what I have, rather than buy more stuff and let the old ones sit there languishing! (Hi, by the way!)

Once you get close to the end, having a goal of writing an empties post either on the empties thread or on your own blog/site is a great motivator! I love reading empties posts the best of all, because people really know how they feel about the product once they've used it all up. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by kotoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Once you get close to the end, having a goal of writing an empties post either on the empties thread or on your own blog/site is a great motivator! I love reading empties posts the best of all, because people really know how they feel about the product once they've used it all up. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Definitely! I've spent way too much time on google looking up empties videos/posts/project pan posts as way to see what people REALLY love. I mean, there's an abundance and a half of haul videos but we never find out if people actually ended up liking the products. I'm hoping to keep my own little blog (and probably post my items i use up on the empties threads) as ways to track my progress and also have a record of what I DID like so I know what will need to be replaced vs what I can just say "whew! thank goodness that's out of my life."

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Definitely! I've spent way too much time on google looking up empties videos/posts/project pan posts as way to see what people REALLY love. I mean, there's an abundance and a half of haul videos but we never find out if people actually ended up liking the products. I'm hoping to keep my own little blog (and probably post my items i use up on the empties threads) as ways to track my progress and also have a record of what I DID like so I know what will need to be replaced vs what I can just say "whew! thank goodness that's out of my life."
Hehe, yes!

I'm even tempted to make a blog of only empties just for my own benefit! XD But I don't have as extensive of a stash as some people, so it might get boring. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by kotoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hehe, yes!

I'm even tempted to make a blog of only empties just for my own benefit! XD But I don't have as extensive of a stash as some people, so it might get boring. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Do it! It's still fun, plus a way to stay accountable I think. Even if it's just for you. 

What would be interesting is to take a pic of everything you used up in a month and another pic of everything you bought that same month! If I had done this I might have started my low buy sooner, ha ha. 

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  What would be interesting is to take a pic of everything you used up in a month and another pic of everything you bought that same month! If I had done this I might have started my low buy sooner, ha ha. 
Actually, that's a really great idea. Also maybe adding up the totals of what the purchases were in contrast to the makeup. because honestly, i always feel like i can spend WAY too much (by doing a lot of "smaller" purchases rather than one big splurge) and only come home with a couple of items. then I remember how much in groceries that could have covered... ugh! 

Hello! I'm new to MUT and mostly joined for the no buy support forums. I think I need to go on a no buy until I finish Christmas shopping, and then give myself a monthly budget! I've spent an ungodly amount of $ on makeup in the last 6 months, because I used to only have a bag of makeup and it is now a mini collection. I'm thinking, once I'm done my xmas shopping, the low buy status will be $100 a month, including the repurchase of essential items. I also like the idea of recording it on a blog, what sites do you all use? I was thinking tumblr.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hello! I'm new to MUT and mostly joined for the no buy support forums. I think I need to go on a no buy until I finish Christmas shopping, and then give myself a monthly budget! I've spent an ungodly amount of $ on makeup in the last 6 months, because I used to only have a bag of makeup and it is now a mini collection.

I'm thinking, once I'm done my xmas shopping, the low buy status will be $100 a month, including the repurchase of essential items. I also like the idea of recording it on a blog, what sites do you all use? I was thinking tumblr.
Yeah, I joined and only came out of hiding for the no buy support forum too. I definitely need to use up what i have! (just counted my eyeshadows...i have over 70 of them. 20-ish blushes. way too much for one face. ugh. and the massive amounts of skin products.) 100 is a pretty generous amount, I think. Perhaps if you really need to go on a strict no buy, start yourself at 100 a month then work your way to lower amounts until you feel no need to buy things! I mean, $100 a month adds up quick in 12 months. I use tumblr! Idk, it's easy enough to update. I've seen a lot of people who will do kind of a review of their items they use up and I figured this would be a good way to encourage myself.

Latest posts

Back