Who has the better rewards program? Ulta or Sephora?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just rediscoved my love for make-up and see myself making a lot of purchases in the next 6 months to rebuild my stash. I've seen lots of talk about Sephora VIB and the Ulta Rewards program. Anyone have any opinions on which one is better?  Both stores are about 30 minutes from me and in the same shopping center so it's just going to be a matter of who has better rewards to determine where I make my purchases. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Depending on what part of the country you are in, the ulta could have their alternative reward program. My ulta is you get a free gift depending on what you purchase in a quarter. No points at all. This past quarter I was at level four and I picked out a free body shop lotion. Plus extra coupons.

The ULTA in my area works on the point system. You get $3 worth of credit for every $100 spent (1 point for every $1)

Personally, I like Sephora's better because if you save up enough points you can score some really nice exclusive reward sets.

I prefer Ulta's rewards. Depending on how many points you have they turn into dollars. So right now I have $13 to spend at Ulta! :)

I like Sephora. They have point perks and some pretty good online promo codes. Plus I'm more interested in the brands at sephora. It's weird that Ulta has different loyalty programs, but mine is for Ulta dollars.

I'm with ulta and the points. I want to be able to redeem for dollars and not have to select from a limited selection with sephora. Then I feel forced to get something I don't want. I just started, like you, getting into makeup. Between makeup, skin care and hair products, I've spent a lot of money since June. With ulta, I am at the highest tier. I have received $50 back, $30 back and almost another $50. Now I'm learning a bit more and pay attention to some things. Right now I get 3x points on any purchases. Also 5x in Stila. I've been eyeing a palatte if theirs and snatching that up. From research on ulta site, that means I am earning 8x on 39. I wish I could buy a bunch of Stila but can't justify it. This time I'm going to save my points for $100. I think. Depending on when nAked 3 hits ulta. I'm going to use my points for that.

I definitely prefer the Sephora point system, because the points never expire and Ulta's do.  I also feel like I get products for 100 points at sephora that are worth way more than the $3 ulta gives you.  But really, I think you should go to whatever store has more of your preferred products, because they are very different.  If you see yourself buying a mix of mid-to-high end and drugstore products, Ulta will be better for you.  If you want to focus on only the mid-to-high end stuff, Sephora has a much better selection.

Coupons and opportunity for 3x or 4x pts or more keep me buying more at Ulta. Brand selection is a plus for Sephora, though. For all drugstore brands though, the rewards program and Beauty club at CVS rocks!

Ulta points do not expire if you are a Platinum member.  My Ulta Platinum is good through 2014.  

I have only 200 points with Sephora and you must spend $350 in a calendar year to reach VIB.  I am close but then what? I start all over next year?  Yes, there are some things I at Sephora over Ulta, and then I will go there.  I also received a gift card for Sephora so I did spend.  

Quote: Originally Posted by NewportSweetPea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Ulta points do not expire if you are a Platinum member.  My Ulta Platinum is good through 2014.  

I have only 200 points with Sephora and you must spend $350 in a calendar year to reach VIB.  I am close but then what? I start all over next year?  Yes, there are some things I at Sephora over Ulta, and then I will go there.  I also received a gift card for Sephora so I did spend.  

If you make VIB this year, it is the same as the Ulta platinum, it is good through 2014.

Question for ULTA platinum members: I think I'm going to qualify for platinum this year. does that also mean that the points I earned during my non-platinum status will also never expire? Thank you!

Also, I want to place an order with the Too Faced GWP..but it doesn't add the value of the GWP ($35) to the "This order will earn you XX points". Any advice? THANKS!!

Yes, as long as you are platinum with Ulta you will keep all of the points you earned (even the ones you earned before platinum status)

Quote: Originally Posted by irishcowgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, as long as you are platinum with Ulta you will keep all of the points you earned (even the ones you earned before platinum status)
Thank you! I appreciate the response :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ulta, hands down. I love that I can use my points for money off purchases. I'm Platinum so my points don't expire. Unlike Sephora, if I spend $500 I will actually get some of it back.

I think it sucks that their program is not the same everywhere, but here it's pretty awesome. And I get 2X points for my birthday to use on whatever I want instead of a gift I may or may not want (though, the last two years they have been awesome at Sephora).

I personally prefer Sephora to Ulta but mainly because I prefer the experience (More knowledgeable staff, better customer service, product demos and a cleaner more professional environment) at Sephora to that of Ulta. ULTA- My occasional mistress. Ulta's points/cash system is great plus they often do 2x, 3x (etc) points so they can add up really fast. Plus Ulta does a lot of product GWP (by brand) that sephora doesn't do. Ulta also sends out a lot of coupons ($2.50,$5 off) which Sephora rarely does. On Ulta's website you can use the coupon code and still get free GWP's by brands offering specials... Something you can't do on Sephora's site. So overall, I think Ulta, their website and their reward system has the best value. However.... SEPHORA- My LOVE Has a pretty strong rewards program too. Your points never expire even at the lowest tier. You start out a BI and graduate to A VIB after $350 in a calendar year. Starting this year they added another tier called VIB Rouge which takes $1000 in a calendar year to reach. You earn 1 point per $1 spent (unlike ULTA they rarely do the 2x the points thing) and can redeem your points for deluxe samples that cost 100 & 250 pts or save up for the sets that are 500 pts. Just because you earned 100 points does not mean you have to use them...because they never expire you can just save your points until they are offering something you do want. You can also get free deluxe samples online by using coupon codes but you can only use one code per purchase (so it can't be combined with a shipping or discount code) and unfortunately they don't just give you Free Brand GWP's like Ulta. If you reach VIB you get some additional perks...free gifts, a free makeover, coupons that you can use and share with one friend and my favorite perk which is the in-store exclusive VIB events...my store has a DJ, drinks/food, gift bags with coupons and free samples, product demos, makeovers and a free gift (T-shirts, totes, umbrellas etc) when you reach Rouge you get unlimited free makeovers and free shipping and the events are even better.

Right now I prefer Sephora's point system, just because my Ulta here in Texas runs by the stupid get a free gift per quarter. I just really dislike how that works, because half the time I don't even like the free gifts that they offer. Bring on the points!! Ulta, are you reading this? 
unsure.gif

Ulta's rewards program is amazing! I have $125 in points I can redeem, and they don't expire since I am a platinum member. 

I shop for everything there, razors, cotton rounds, and q-tips because of the rewards program. They always do 3x and 5x points. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Misdameanor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Right now I prefer Sephora's point system, just because my Ulta here in Texas runs by the stupid get a free gift per quarter. I just really dislike how that works, because half the time I don't even like the free gifts that they offer. Bring on the points!! Ulta, are you reading this? 
unsure.gif

I'm in Georgia and we have the ridiculous free gift per quarter - I usually wind up burning the reward, I rarely like anything they offer and this quarter they are actually rolling over part of what I spent to next quarter. 

I love Sephora VIB Rouge - I get all sorts of invitations to events, there's the walk in and get a makeover and the bonus gifts are worlds better than what I get at Ulta.   With my Flash shipping at Sephora it's just easier to order online, and I get my products in 2 days.   

Latest posts

Back