Jump to content
jaylilee

Taking inventory

Recommended Posts

So in order to be more aware of what it is exactly I have in my stash, I made it a point to go through and count how many items I have. Eyeshadow palettes I counted the individual eyeshadows inside as 1 item, because otherwise it's easier to deceive myself into thinking I have less (for example, my naked 1 palette is just one palette, but it has 12 shadows in it.. I only have 2 eyes, so I can't use up a whole palette up and count it as one item!)

 

That and a tarte palette are all the "set" type items i have, so everything else is individuals and...omg you guys. i'm well over 300 items, closer to 400 actually... and 90 bottles of nail polish. it certainly helped in figuring out what i have, and what i can use or need to find new homes for.

 

what about you, guys? have you taken inventory? if so, how much do you have to use up? 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesyesyes! I wasn't specifically trying to "take inventory," I just wanted to reorganize my closet... Boy, what a shock that was. I'm pretty okay with my eyeshadow levels, lippies are getting close to being too much but why, WHY do I have 20 foundations/bb creams/ mineral powders? My face isn't that big! Almost 200 bottles of nail polish, about 150 full-sized perfumes (didn't count the samples, that would've been too painful)... and soap. I buy it all the time because I see a new scent and I just have to try it... and they're small and fairly inexpensive, so my "collection" added up very quickly. I couldn't count, but I'd guess I've got maybe 300 bars? And at least 30 shower gels, over a dozen body scrubs... But this month I've started keeping track of the stuff I'm using up and I seem to be going through about 1 bar of soap every 2 weeks, so there is hope that the pile will be depleted someday.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnicole View Post
 

Yesyesyes! I wasn't specifically trying to "take inventory," I just wanted to reorganize my closet... Boy, what a shock that was. I'm pretty okay with my eyeshadow levels, lippies are getting close to being too much but why, WHY do I have 20 foundations/bb creams/ mineral powders? My face isn't that big! Almost 200 bottles of nail polish, about 150 full-sized perfumes (didn't count the samples, that would've been too painful)... and soap. I buy it all the time because I see a new scent and I just have to try it... and they're small and fairly inexpensive, so my "collection" added up very quickly. I couldn't count, but I'd guess I've got maybe 300 bars? And at least 30 shower gels, over a dozen body scrubs... But this month I've started keeping track of the stuff I'm using up and I seem to be going through about 1 bar of soap every 2 weeks, so there is hope that the pile will be depleted someday.

 

You can do it! soap should go really fast if you're using it as much as you are, so perhaps you can achieve a huge dent soon. I don't have many lippies, thank goodness. I LOVE them on other people but always feel like I look weird wearing it. All my nail polishes are starting to "separate" and it's making me sad :C I am not sure how much longer they will last, but i don't have enough nails to use up the bottles that fast lol. I always also struggle with organization... :( no matter how I organize it, I'm never happy with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a cursory count. Makeup items: 188, Skincare: 26, Nail polish: 28; palettes: 5

 

Not too bad, but I've been low buying the majority of the year. I have 28 eyeliners!! This is one area I need to start wearing each one for a week and decide if I like it enough to keep it. The other glaring excess is lip products: 33!! About 40% of the above items are deluxe samples from subs. I also have two glossyboxes of items I haven't decided if I'm going to keep or add to my trade list. Probably another 2 dozen items. Ah well, nothing like facing reality. I have greatly reduced my body lotions, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, etc  so success on that front.

 

The amusing part is that I am seriously considering a UD purchase for black Friday of the travel size liners and lipstick sets! The two areas I already have an excess of items! Decisions,decisions. What can I say, eyeliner and lipstick are my weakness :-)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just took an inventory of my stash..

 

6 foundations (I mix shades)

3 powders

4 primers (face and eye)

6 concealers

4 bronzers

6 highlighters

18 blushes (!)

 

174 eye shadows (including an 80 color elf palette)

21 eye liners (liquid, gel, pencil, and jumbo)

4 mascaras

4 brow products

 

6 lip liners

14 lip glosses

14 lip sticks

 

I'm not really into nail polish.. I share about 15 with my sister. I also have 2 setting sprays and a couple lip balms. I only have a few perfumes, and a couple of essential hair products. Makeup is 90% of my beauty obsession :)

 

Most of my eye shadows are in palettes, so they add up quick. But it's still too much. I also need to stop buying blushes... lol. And 14 lipsticks and glosses is more than enough.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Including makeup, skincare, hair care, shower stuff, and nail polish (but not makeup brushes or hair dryers/curlers/straighteners--so no tools, just products) I'm at just over 200.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A long-time lurker here! When I saw this thread, I just had to join.

 

I recently did an invertory check and I was amazed at what I've been able to accumulate! I really don't want to know what the store value of my collection would be. I have already been downsizing. Tossing old items and putting a box of goodies together for a sale. So I already went through my collection a few times. But I was still suprised at what I found in sheer numbers.

 

I don't own much lipproducts,

2 lipsticks

3 lipglosses

8 lipbalms (tinted)

1 lipstain

 

I only wear lipstains and lipbalms anyway, so I am trying to finish up the glosses and lipsticks.

 

55 nailpolishes

 

Okay that's really a lot to me, but granted I use pretty much every bottle. I Would love this to go down to arount 40 nailpolishes.

 

23 single eyeshadows

6 duo's, trio's, quattro's

12 palettes

total:  276 eyeshadows.

 

Why do I feel I need 276 eyeshadows? I really don't need that. There is an elf 100 palette in there so that really does add up. I am allowing myself to repurchase only my HG eyeshadows (if I actually finish them) and not any additional eyeshadows, for like...forever?

 

9 blushes

2 bronzers

3 highlighters.

 

I am kind of okay with this. None of my blushes look like one another and they all get love. I would like to bring it down to just 6 blushes or so. I think I only need 1 bronzer and maybe 2 highlighters (one powder warm toned, and one liquid cool toned).

 

4 black pencil liners

6 brown and other colored pencil liners

5 liquid liners (black)

1 gel eyeliner

 

I already cut down on the eyeliners and I am pretty proud of myself. I just need to get through some of the black liquid and pencil liners. I only need 1 of each really.

 

For everything else I am also near my end goal. I want to own only 2 bb creams, instead of 3 and I have both a brow powder and a brow pen, I and need to figure out which one of them I like best. I also own some glitters and false lashes. But those are for special occasions and I won't get rid of because I love them.

 

But those eyeshadows!

That's close to threehundred! And I don't even wear a complete eyeshadow look everyday. Mostly just a highlighter shade.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I should do this, but I am scared to, lol. If I counted eyeshadows inside palettes individually, I'm sure I'd already have at least 300. And I have a ton of singles too. Yikes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playedinloops View Post
 

I know I should do this, but I am scared to, lol. If I counted eyeshadows inside palettes individually, I'm sure I'd already have at least 300. And I have a ton of singles too. Yikes.

 

I put off doing an inventory for months but I'm glad I finally did. I needed the reality check. Just count palettes and not individual shadows if it makes more sense for you to do it that way. 

 

The inventory is motivating me to get rid of the items I don't like/am not using.

 

I only did a visual count, no spreadsheet, etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misame View Post

 

23 single eyeshadows

6 duo's, trio's, quattro's

12 palettes

total:  276 eyeshadows.

 

But those eyeshadows!

That's close to threehundred! And I don't even wear a complete eyeshadow look everyday. Mostly just a highlighter shade.

Funny how they add up, huh?? On eyeshadow singles only (which i have depotted and popped into palettes), I'm pretty sure I've already spent somewhere in the $1500-2000 range..... that could pay for a vacation with my husband somewhere nice. Ugh.

 

So yeah, I'm never buying another eyeshadow until I finish the ones I have, and only repurchasing the ones I truly, truly love. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by page5 View Post
 

I did a cursory count. Makeup items: 188, Skincare: 26, Nail polish: 28; palettes: 5

 

Not too bad, but I've been low buying the majority of the year. I have 28 eyeliners!! This is one area I need to start wearing each one for a week and decide if I like it enough to keep it. The other glaring excess is lip products: 33!! About 40% of the above items are deluxe samples from subs. I also have two glossyboxes of items I haven't decided if I'm going to keep or add to my trade list. Probably another 2 dozen items. Ah well, nothing like facing reality. I have greatly reduced my body lotions, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, etc  so success on that front.

 

The amusing part is that I am seriously considering a UD purchase for black Friday of the travel size liners and lipstick sets! The two areas I already have an excess of items! Decisions,decisions. What can I say, eyeliner and lipstick are my weakness :-)

Doing better than I am! I only have like 8 eyeliners, so I'm taking a deep sigh of relief on that one since I somehow ended up liking the very expenside UD 24/7 ones... once I use all of mine up I'll be looking at drugstore choices instead (I hear the rimmel scandaleyes are very similar to the UD ones).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playedinloops View Post
 

I know I should do this, but I am scared to, lol. If I counted eyeshadows inside palettes individually, I'm sure I'd already have at least 300. And I have a ton of singles too. Yikes.

 

Lol! I avoided counting my stuff too just because..holy shock. but I needed to do it. What I refuse to do is count how much $$ went into it all because I'd probably have a heart attack, but it definitely sets it all in perspective! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at everyone else's counts I don't think my stash is that bad! 6 Mascaras (people always give them to me :x) 12 Eyeliners 50 eyeshadows 14 lipsticks 7 lip stains 5 glosses 3 blushes/2 highlighters 10 BB creams Not too bad! I still don't need to buy more stuff but I do always buy new BB creams and use them all regularly - Korean formulas are all so different and give different effects to your skin!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@bnicole, soaps/shower gels are my major weakness as well.  I thought I'd have used up all of mine (I've been on a soap no-buy for months and months now) by January, but I found a whole bunch more, and now I think I have enough to get through May before I have to buy any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh this sounds like a great idea! I love reading what everyone else has!

 

Ok, I'm going to do a little experiment; I'm going to list what I *think* I have here, and when I get home tonight, I'm going to actually count everything and see how the two compare. I'm sure I think I have a lot less than I actually do, which is the point of this post, right? Hehe.

 

Ok, what I think I have (a small collection by most standards):

 

Foundation: 1

Powder: 1

Setting Powder: 2 (both DS)

Face Primer/Base: 2

BB Cream: 1

Concealer: 5

Blush: 4

Highlight: 2

Bronzer: 1

Eyeshadow: 25

Eyelid primer: 1

Eyebrow pencil: 4

Eyeliner: 3

Mascara: 3 (FS) + 5 (DS)

Lipstick: 5

Lipgloss: 2

Lipstain: 4

Chapstick: a bazillion!

Nail polish: 8

Brushes: 15

Perfume: 7 (FS) + 10 (samples)

Foil pack samples: 15

SPF: also a bazillion!

 

A few notes to myself:

 

1.) Get rid of the 1 cream foundation- it's old (from 2008) and I haven't worn it since my wedding, I'm just holding onto it because it's of sentimental value.

 

2.) Only use 2 chapsticks at a time- one by the bed, and one in your pocket, otherwise they'll all go bad too quickly.

 

3.) Start using your mascara samples (rotate so you use the oldest ones first).

 

4.) Start trying the sample packets- don't save them for anything special unless you know you'll love them and can use them on a plane

 

5.) Blush- seriously? I hardly even wear it, get rid of the stuff!

 

6.) Stop buying lipstick, I never use it. Getting the freebies from Clinique are good enough!

 

Ok, I'll check back in with the reality later!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay I've been going again and again going through my makeup collection and I got rid of a few items

 

1 blush

1 highlighter

1 cream shadow

1 palette 8 pans

1 trio (wet n wild walking on eggshells)

1 glitter liner

2 colorful liners (metallic orange and metallic purple)

1 purple pencil liner

2 lipsticks

2 lipglosses

 

and now I am kind of on the fence on keeping my 15 warm shimmer palette, it's one of those ebay type palettes. Every single shade is gorgeous and pigmented, but the thing is that I already have similar shades in other palettes, and I am just not sure if this palette is going to add anything to my life. But so far I am doing good. I am am really feeling relieved of getting rid of some things. Like those lipsticks and lipglosses, I tried to make them work but I just don't like the feeling of them, they are great quality but I prefer tinted lipbalms. btw, I also finished two tinted lipbalms that were on their last legs.

 

@eastofthesun, Your numbers may be a lot for you, but they really aren't that bad and I think you can get down to your perfect 'collection' within a year, except maybe for the perfume.

Your username, is that a reference to the norwegian folktales? I had a book of that growing up, illustrated by kay nielsen. I loved that thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misame View Post
 

Okay I've been going again and again going through my makeup collection and I got rid of a few items

 

1 blush

1 highlighter

1 cream shadow

1 palette 8 pans

1 trio (wet n wild walking on eggshells)

1 glitter liner

2 colorful liners (metallic orange and metallic purple)

1 purple pencil liner

2 lipsticks

2 lipglosses

 

and now I am kind of on the fence on keeping my 15 warm shimmer palette, it's one of those ebay type palettes. Every single shade is gorgeous and pigmented, but the thing is that I already have similar shades in other palettes, and I am just not sure if this palette is going to add anything to my life. But so far I am doing good. I am am really feeling relieved of getting rid of some things. Like those lipsticks and lipglosses, I tried to make them work but I just don't like the feeling of them, they are great quality but I prefer tinted lipbalms. btw, I also finished two tinted lipbalms that were on their last legs.

 

@eastofthesun, Your numbers may be a lot for you, but they really aren't that bad and I think you can get down to your perfect 'collection' within a year, except maybe for the perfume.

Your username, is that a reference to the norwegian folktales? I had a book of that growing up, illustrated by kay nielsen. I loved that thing.

Way to go! if you don't know what to do with that lovely palette, maybe find a relative or a friend's young daughter to gift it to? it's a gorgeous palette and im sure would make a great starter eyeshadow palette for somebody. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misame View Post
 

 

 

@eastofthesun, Your numbers may be a lot for you, but they really aren't that bad and I think you can get down to your perfect 'collection' within a year, except maybe for the perfume.

Your username, is that a reference to the norwegian folktales? I had a book of that growing up, illustrated by kay nielsen. I loved that thing.

Oh my goodness, yes! It's definitely a reference to the exact one you're talking about- the one illustrated by Kay Nielsen. I love her artwork! It's so beautiful!  That's so neat that you caught that! :) By the way, my favorites from the book are either this one:

 

http://www.artsycraftsy.com/nielsen/kn_inthewood.html

 

or this one:

 

http://www.artsycraftsy.com/nielsen/kn_eastbear.html

 

I might have to order a print! And... maybe make one of those my avatar! We should both use one as our avatars for solidatrity, hehehe!

 

Thanks also for your comments on my inventory, I think I can figure out the perfect amount of everything that works for me. And your numbers seem really great, actually. That seems like a really decent collection of things you can make many looks from without detracting from your life financially or cluttering up everything.

 

I didn't have time to check my inventory in reality last night, but maybe it's something I can do over the Thanksgiving break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastofthesun View Post
 

Oh my goodness, yes! It's definitely a reference to the exact one you're talking about- the one illustrated by Kay Nielsen. I love her artwork! It's so beautiful!  That's so neat that you caught that! :) By the way, my favorites from the book are either this one:

 

http://www.artsycraftsy.com/nielsen/kn_inthewood.html

 

or this one:

 

http://www.artsycraftsy.com/nielsen/kn_eastbear.html

 

 

Haha, You sound like me! Those are my exact favourites as well! Great minds think alike I guess :)

 

I got rid of 5 nailpolishes, I am now down to 49, but I am hoping to get down to about 40.

Since I got rid of a lot of makeup (I made a donation and sold the rest) about a month ago, I feel so much more happier with my stash. I am actually experimenting with eyelooks again, and I used pretty much every eyeshadow I own in the past few weeks, that really feels great. The past year I was 'working' on all kinds of items, I wouldn't allow myself to grab my favourite blush because I had 6 others that I had to finish first. I ditched that plan and just got rid of everything I felt I didn't really want to use, so now I only have stuff that I like. I am still looking to downsize, but it's going in the right direction.

 

I did purchase a few items though, an eyelash curler (because my old one is busted) and some backup bb creams of my staple bb cream. I know that I use and need these products, and I did save a €100,- in the past month, so I don't feel too bad about it

 

I also am no longer going to refer to my makeup as my 'collection'. A collection implies that I need to savour every product, instead of use. But makeup expires, like food. And nobody in their right mind collects food, so why would I collect makeup?

 

Anyway I really hope this makeup hoarding is a thing of the past.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I hadn't been in the "No buy support" forum in quite some time,  until the other day.  Lots of great new threads here!

 

I had a decent workable stash up until Christmas.  Wow, it's grown!  lol.  I got alot of makeup for Christmas.

 

This is my inventory:   

 

Eyeshadows: (counting palette shadows individually)  86

Lipsticks: 10

Lip glosses:  7

Blushes:  7

Bronzers:  2

Pressed Powders: 2

Foundation/ BB Cream: 3

Face Primer:  1

Mascaras: 3

Eyeliners:  7

Eyebrow:  3

Concealer: 2

Eyeshadow Primers: 6  - 4 are the blister packs from Naked 3 so they'll be done soon, 1 is a deluxe sample of UD & 1 is an unopened full size Anti aging UDPP that I got for Christmas and won't open until the samples are done.

 

Total Makeup items: 139

 

I also got a gift card to Ulta & Christmas money left.  I keep telling myself DO NOT GO CRAZY. YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to do this but I feel like I would need a day just to calculate all of it. I did an excel spreadsheet and it was over 4 pages and over 200 items. I am an eyeshadow hoarder so I don't want to even know...I even got rid of some stuff recently. This is making me cringe already and I haven't even counted yet.

 

Edit: So I added it up and why?

  • Eyeshadow: 241....who needs that much?!
  • Eyeliner: 22
  • Brow: 7
  • Mascara: 9
  • Powder: 4
  • Concealer: 2
  • Primer: 5
  • Foundation: 2 (I hate foundation, if I liked it this would probably be higher)
  • Blush: 14
  • Bronzer: 11
  • Lipstick/lip crayons/lip glosses: 70....I don't know how that happened.
  • Brushes: 47...I am addicted to brushes.

This is a problem. I am slightly in denial. This is too much money into products I don't really need....but it's my precious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKAGlam View Post
 

I want to do this but I feel like I would need a day just to calculate all of it. I did an excel spreadsheet and it was over 4 pages and over 200 items. I am an eyeshadow hoarder so I don't want to even know...I even got rid of some stuff recently. This is making me cringe already and I haven't even counted yet.

 

Edit: So I added it up and why?

  • Eyeshadow: 241....who needs that much?!
  • Eyeliner: 22
  • Brow: 7
  • Mascara: 9
  • Powder: 4
  • Concealer: 2
  • Primer: 5
  • Foundation: 2 (I hate foundation, if I liked it this would probably be higher)
  • Blush: 14
  • Bronzer: 11
  • Lipstick/lip crayons/lip glosses: 70....I don't know how that happened.
  • Brushes: 47...I am addicted to brushes.

This is a problem. I am slightly in denial. This is too much money into products I don't really need....but it's my precious!

Yeah. I decided to start the year honestly and go through everything. i grabbed a piece of paper and started counting -- OMG the amount of money. None of my items are what you would consider "cheap" -- I think the two most moderately priced items I have are several maybelline color tattoos and a few Wet N Wild palettes.

 

I feel a little sick but that doesn't curve my coveting all the pretties! 

 

So here are my numbers:

 

Eyeshadow: 169

Face powders: 4 -- picky because I can never find a good color match. 

Blushes: 29

Foundation: 5 -- picky because I can never find a good color match on this either. 

BB cream: 1

Concealer: 6 -- ditto on this. 

Correctors: 2 (peach and green, respectively)

Lipgloss: 7

Lipstick: 18 -- ...I can't remember the last time I wore lipstick 

Lip pencils: 2

Eye pencils: 12

Mascara: 3

Eyeshadow primers: 2

Eyeliner: 6 gels, 2 liquids, all opened -- I'm obsessive about gel liner. 

highlighter powders: 5, 1 cream

Bronzer: 7 --- I am NOT a bronzer girl! How did I end up with 7?!?!?!

Perfumes: 

  • Full bottles: 6
  • Samples: 5
  • Roller ball: 3
  • Deluxe: 2 

 

Nail polish bottles: 83

Top coats: 2

 

----------------

 

total items: 381 

 

This is not counting lotions which I refuse to even attempt to count - considering how many I have and lotions take a LOT longer to use up than some of these items. Scary. 

 

.........

 

169 eyeshadows. 169!?! i thought i had 120 tops... ugh. :c and here I was hoping as soon as I finished a few I could go buy myself a palette. NOPE! Not anymore! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I didnt add my perfume....this is where I really need to cut back. I have this weird obsession with designer perfumes and their bottles so I will seriously buy a perfume because of the bottle. Sometimes I happen to like the smell which is a plus.

I have:

  • 32 Full size
  • 17 Travel size
  • 3 roll ons
  • 5 samples

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKAGlam View Post
 

Oh I didnt add my perfume....this is where I really need to cut back. I have this weird obsession with designer perfumes and their bottles so I will seriously buy a perfume because of the bottle. Sometimes I happen to like the smell which is a plus.

I have:

  • 32 Full size
  • 17 Travel size
  • 3 roll ons
  • 5 samples

whoa massive amounts. I go through perfume so slowly.... I am hoping to finish all of mine so I can move on and buy a full bottle of Chloe by Chloe by the end of 2014. but it means ALL my perfumes need to be used up or go first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylilee View Post
 

whoa massive amounts. I go through perfume so slowly.... I am hoping to finish all of mine so I can move on and buy a full bottle of Chloe by Chloe by the end of 2014. but it means ALL my perfumes need to be used up or go first.


There is no way I will ever finish any of these. I'm halfway through Bright Crystal by Versace, Love Fury Kiss by Nine West and Princess by Vera Wang. The others I use but I switch it up so often that you can't even tell I use them. I'm getting to the point where I use it as air freshener for my closet so my clothes smell even better. I do get sad when I think that the life span is only 2 years. I had a Miss Dior Cherie change smell because it was old and it makes me quite sad because it was my favorite. So I think this year I won't buy any perfume.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • NARS Cosmetics Shop Cargo Cosmetics Today!


About MakeupTalk®

© 2003-2018 MakeupTalk.com®, an active online community and message board geared towards members wanting to discuss everything to do with makeup, cosmetics, product reviews, monthly subscription boxes and general beauty related topics. Our community provides product reviews, makeup and general beauty tips. Our most popular topics are subscription boxes and their monthly spoilers. Join our community for free to take part in the conversations and share your own beauty tips and product reviews with others. We look forward to seeing you online here at Makeuptalk®!

MakeupTalk® Facebook

×