QOFT 11/25/2013: Do you dress to impress men or women?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For me I dress more to impress women and to sort of show off my fashion skills.  I'm more about comfort and being bold than walking around in stilettos and tight stuff just so men can drool over me (screw that).  Once in a while I'll wear something tight and sexy, but for the most part, I try to put together outfits like what I pictured below. 

My husband makes fun of me sometimes and says I look like a lesbian in some outfits and I just laugh.  I can't help that I love flat oxford shoes and boyfriend jeans<3    I am starting to tap into a more feminine side lately though.  I realize I won't be young for ever, I might as well rock it while I've got it!

Since getting a city job I wear nothing but business/ business casual. And we have Jean Fridays. All my imagination is left for weekends:( but I guess it's good because I don't have to buy as much clothes

Honestly, no one. I dress to impress myself. I don't follow fashion trends. I'm happy with what I like. But it always feels nice when people compliment your outfit.

Since getting a city job I wear nothing but business/ business casual. And we have Jean Fridays. All my imagination is left for weekends:( but I guess it's good because I don't have to buy as much clothes
I used to have to dress like that too but now I work for a gay man who encourages me to go crazy and wear makeup. In fact, he gripes at me to wear more makeup sometimes! Lol

Hmm... i dont really dress to impress anyone in particular, I like what I like...I mean in my single days I dressed to attract, but now, I do it because I feel good when I look good. I take my time getting ready and picking outfits bc I now sooner or later I wont have the luxury to do so.

Well maybe I'm not asking the right question.  I guess what I mean is do you get more gratification from another woman noticing your outfit and complimenting it, or if a man does?  

I think on some level we ALL dress with looking good to other people in mind. Of course we feel good if someone else notices and says, "hey nice skirt!".   I just meant that when I chose outfits, it's not important for me to look feminine and sexy all the time, grabbing boys' attention.  I'm more about dressing "in the name of fashion" and being bold, yet comfortable.  Usually women will notice outfits like that instead of men.  

Hopefully that makes more sense!

One of the best things I've done is stop caring as much about how others perceived me and started to wear and do what I wanted!  In my opinion I love style which is unique and personal - I have no problem with people who follow particular trends and styles (and some of them I really love to try and emulate), but for me it's just not important anymore.  I think there have been some circumstances in which I've dressed to impress women, or have attempted to make a good impression through dressing a certain way.  But generally speaking I don't really mind; my friends aren't judgmental at all and that's all that matters to me!  I care when people are rude about something to do with style, but it doesn't mean I try to fulfill the needs of those people by wearing what they feel is fashionable.  Men on the other hand tend not to care as much about particular clothes/styles.  I don't really see the need in trying to impress a guy through what I wear, since if I'm having to, then we're probably not going to get along famously.  The exception is business; I conform to dress smart and professional so that I am perceived that way.

I also dress to impress myself. I find that the more like how I look, the more confident I am, and that is very important when you're as shy as I am or used to be.

As for who I'd like to be complimented by the most, I don't think I have a preference for either gender. I think I'm more flattered if I'm complimented on, say, a skirt, by a person whose style I admire. But I wouldn't shun a compliment from an extra attractive man! 
thumbsup2.gif

my fashion is blah. at work i wear a uniform and at home i am taking care of a farm. the few times that i do go out, honestly i am struggling to just look presentable. now when i was in college, young, skinnier, and looking for a man, yes i did dress to try and impress men. but i think a lot of times i dressed in bold outfits just to get attention from anyone. i am a leo :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am a total clothes horse. I dress for myself but I would say I definitely dress to impress men. My previous profession entailed looking very polished and professional yet with a side of sexy. And that style has stayed with me. So I may in the minority, however, I do love when men watch me and flirt, I have a very easy going husband who doesn't care if I flirt, he is very secure in our relationship. He also loves when I dress sexy, so I often dress to impress him (especially since I've been a stay at home wife for a number of years now) so he pays for my clothes and likes me to look polished. I also spend a fortune on purses, shoes and makeup. I pay attention to the whole look because I think men and women are more impressed if you are put together impeccably. Ok, as I'm write this I have to admit I dress for both. Men first, and then women because I want women to be impressed as well. I think we are hard wired as a species to attract attention from others. Some of us are just more hard wired than others.

I dress to impress both men and women, because my style mostly involves wearing timeless pieces. I like when people can look at me and not cringe in disgust: just walk into any Walmart and look around to see what a lot of folks wear and you'll get what I mean. Yes, I understand that America is a free country and everyone is free to wear whatever they want, but for me looking put together at all times is just common courtesy. Women love what I wear and the compliment I hear most from them is "cute". Men like it too, and sometimes I get asked where I got certain pieces so they could purchase it for their girlfriends.

I think the best quote I ever saw on this issue was:

"Of course I dress to impress other women!  If I dressed to impress men, I'd just run around naked!"

I dress much more for the situation/setting I'll be in than any one particular person/group of people.  

I definitely dress to impress myself. (Also a little to impress other women). I honestly hate looking at myself dressed down with no make up and my hair back, so I pretty much try and make it a challenge to impress myself. Colourful clothes really don't suit me though so my hair is my main accessory and I'm always trying to do something different with it.

I dress to impress myself. I feel confident and comfortable whenever I dress good and I dress appropriately for an event. 

Quote: Originally Posted by LazyJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  it's not important for me to look feminine and sexy all the time, grabbing boys' attention.

This is me exactly! I don't necessarily want to grab a man's attention and it's never about wearing tight/sexy clothes. For me, it's always been more about comfort &staying trendy. I wouldn't walk out of my house in basketball shorts or anything (especially if I'm meeting up with friends) but jeans, a white t-shirt and some chucks would do just fine for the occasion. Most importantly, I think it's a woman's confidence that makes an outfit. I don't care if I'm wearing 5 inch heels and a mini skirt or sweatpants with a hoody - either way, I know I'm going to feel good about myself.

xo.Christine

We should feel sexy and confident in anything that we wear whether its just a shirt and and a pair of jeans or dress. 

I think everyone dress up to impress all the people around them and to feel more confident. And for special occasion we used to dress up special to impress our partner or lover as well. Everyone should dress up according to event. 

I don't dress to impress--I dress to express. Am I happy? Ticked off? Sick? Madly in love? When I take the time to put an outfit together in great detail, I'm trying to tell you a 3 second story. 

Of course there are times in doing this where what I'm wearing will lean one way or another in the men or women thing. I wouldn't wear the same thing on a date with my boyfriend that I would to the mall with my family or to karaoke or to a book blogging convention. 

The challenge is making sure that while I play each "part" right, that at the end of the day I am still me. My personality is my best accessory, and it's a darn good thing that's true because I've never found a way to take the thing off! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Great question though! 

Latest posts

Back