December 2013 - No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawaiisofoxy

Indie Ingenue
Reaction score
Oh December!  Is it even possible to have a no/low buy during this magical month?

Yes.  We can do it!

I'm continuing on my quest of maintaining a $25 beauty budget for myself.  As time goes on (I've been doing a low-buy since Sept), it does get easier.  And I'm definitely in no danger of finishing up my makeup stash anytime soon!   Whenever I really want something, I just look through my stash.  Usually I have a dupe or something that's "close enough"!

What are your goals for December?  Will you need extra encouragement to make it through holiday shopping without buying for yourself? (I do that.  A lot.)

Happy Holidays!  
xmas.gif

I find myself doing really well for the first half of every month then...BOOM OFF THE RAILS. I think I need to really commit myself to the "Monday Club" and shopping my own stash. I really do not need anything at all anymore, especially with what I picked up today. I also really need to decide if I'm going to keep Birchbox. I like getting mail and I *love* trading but at the end of the day, if I swap everything out of my box, I've spent $10 on the box itself and ~$10 shipping items for a swap. So..meh. I have a month to think about it.

This month:

~$25 for any beauty stuff - this includes basic toiletries

~Birchbox sub x1

~if I really want to shop, BB points can only be used

~no lippies

~no eyeshadow

~no backstocking even if there's a "good deal" out there

November was great.  After thinking I used up all shampoo in November, I found more, but it was only dandruff shampoo.  I don't have dandruff!  Hooray, so I bought one solid shampoo bar from LUSH in November, as was allowed.  Didn't do any Black Friday shopping, as my family has opted not to do holiday gifts.

So, on to December.  I am planning a low buy--I don't need anything, but LUSH usually has their only sale of the year right after Christmas.  I have already gone online and identified which of their pre-packaged christmas gifts I want, so if those go on sale before January 1, I have permission to buy those.  Assuming I do, I'll have enough soap/shampoo to last until August.  Nothing else is an allowable purchase.  

Good luck, everyone!

I think I might be approaching things differently in December.  It feels like I just have so much *stuff* that I want to just kind of step back and see many days in a row I can go without buying something other than groceries, cat supplies, presents for my family and giftee in this swap I'm doing on another board (although I might be able to figure out a way to send mostly PopSugar leftovers, so that would clear up some of my clutter *and* send her a ton of stuff!  There's a dollar limit of $35 for the whole swap, so the PopSugar plan would give a large amount of bang for the buck if I can make it work), and toothpaste/dental floss (because I keep forgetting I'm almost out).  

Allowed items:  I can get the Naked 3 palette when it comes out if I can also use my $20-off-$50 card at Sephora (I haven't received my card yet, so there are two ways this could not happen!), but I think that might be it.  I get the feeling that essence might be done with its trend edition launches for the year in the US, so even that's probably going to be off the list.  I'm going to try to get to a store tomorrow before the crazy crazy crowds descend and get toothpaste and dental floss, so I won't even need to get those in December.  I've even taken those Marc Jacob eyeliner pencils and Rockateur blush I've been planning on getting off my shopping list.  

Basically, I think I'm finally past my MUST BUY EVERYTHING phase of the past year, which is good because I had decided I would go ahead and buy whatever I wanted in order to build up my collection until the end of this year, and then I would have to stop.  And it's almost the end of the year, and I think it's better to go through this sort of detox where I actively do not want to get anything even though it's not the end of the year than cold turkey in January.  We'll see how it goes, though.

ETA:  Subs!  I almost forgot about subs.  I'll probably skip Julep even though I have enough points for a free box, and January *is* my birthday month, so it would be kind of like a birthday present, but I just haven't really been digging their colors lately.  They seem to just do retreads of stuff they've done before.  And I'll be canceling PopSugar entirely after I get the December box.  Other than that, though, I'll be keeping the rest of my subs, and if I can get a Glamour Doll Eyes slot, I can add that to the mix, too.  And if I have some extra money when slots open up, I might add an Innocent + Twisted Alchemy sample sub to the mix, too, and maybe try to move my Madd Style sub to earlier in the month because I just can't seem to resist loose pigment subs.  My subs give me something to look forward to throughout the month, so I can't get rid of them because I know that's a recipe for Target/IKEA shopping spree, and those are even more dangerous than makeup subs.

I'm low buying this month and allowing myself a couple of purchases. I plan to continue to shop my stash and participate in the Monday Club which has been helpful and fun in maintaining my low buy. Good luck everyone. This is the mother of all months to test our self control :)

After being completely out of control I am back on the no buy and here to stay.  I have so much stuff it is quite possible I will not have to purchase any beauty /makeup related item for most of this year!! I have been under a lot of stress lately and have been using purchases to help.  I cant even bring myself total the damage but it is a ALOT of  $$$.   Ok so here are my rules.

• No skincare/makeup items purchase unless I am completely out or I use up 100 products ( deluxe samples count)  ( this will be almost impossible with the exception of deodorant and maybe foundation at some point) or take me at least 10 months :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.
  • I will cancel Eco Emi this month and Sample Society in March.

The ONLY Exceptions

• I can use my 10 credit for the body shop for my birthday in January
  • I  can redeem the free birthday perk from Sephora
  • I can trade via MUA
  • As long as I have stuck to the above I can buy the Sephora Sun Safely Kit in July ( if I want to)
  • BB is paid for already this year so I can purchase with points only
  • If I stick to this I can reward myself with some purchases during the 20% off Sephora sale in November 2014.  I am hoping by then I will not feel  the need to purchase and my growing bank account will be enough..

I am going to really give this a go I really need to get my stash down to a more reasonable size.  One person does not need all that I have and I need to really save money vs spend it on stuff I don't need...

I can do this....

I REALLY need to stick to a low/no buy. I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE MAKEUP!! Or anything else, really! 

I'm going to try really super hard to not buy anything for myself. Unless I absolutely have to have it and didn't get it for Christmas then I MIGHT allow it. But Other than that, my money will be spent on Christmas presents for others. I just bought some Black Friday goodies for me and feel guilty.

After the new year, I'm going to make my fiance and I go on like super-saver mode. I'll probably allow Birchbox and Ipsy just because they're a fun treat every month. But other than that - NOTHING but essentials like food, gas, etc. We are trying to save for our wedding but its seriously not happening. I'm thinking of going through all my shit to organize, donate and get rid of stuff. 

I'm back on the low buy wagon. I will make a purchase during Sephora's gift card event. But other than that I'm going to try not to buy anything.

I know it's still technically November, but I have to report my first success!  I went Christmas shopping "for my family" today, which in past years has very much been a "one for me, one for my sister.... one for me, one for Mom... one for ME, one for my hubby" type experience.  But today I spent a whopping $4 on myself!  The rest of the money all went to my husband and kids! (mostly the kids!)

Yay!  Hopefully I'll be able to keep this up through Dec!

I'm going to stick to my allowed to buy for December. I can only make one order outside of my allowed items and that has to be with my $20 off $50 from Sephora

I am going on a nail polish no buy for December. I seriously have gone overboard lately and I need to stop. Only my Glitter Guilty box will be allowed. I have already paid for the December Black Sheep Lacquer box so that will come sometime in early December, but I will not buy the next month's box, which would come in January. I am also going to skip Julep for December. I have SO many untried polishes that I need to start using them to know if I like them or if they can go in the swap box the next time it gets to me. I was so tempted by the Black Friday sales but I resisted most of them. I did order a mystery box from Polish Addict, and I got the $1 Julep polish, but that was it. ETA....finished my sentence...stupid iPhone!! Lol

I'm completely done with my Christmas shopping (family, mister, "Santa", angel tree, Santa for a senior.. Literally all of it!) My goal for this month is to resist all of the tempting "good deals", GWP, and free shipping. It's tough, and the month hasn't even started. The only thing I intend to allow myself is a sephora purchase if my $20 off VIB card comes in the mail. In December, I plan to do a lot more shopping in my stash. November killed me. For real.

I REALLY need to stick to a low/no buy. I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE MAKEUP!! Or anything else, really!  I'm going to try really super hard to not buy anything for myself. Unless I absolutely have to have it and didn't get it for Christmas then I MIGHT allow it. But Other than that, my money will be spent on Christmas presents for others. I just bought some Black Friday goodies for me and feel guilty. After the new year, I'm going to make my fiance and I go on like super-saver mode. I'll probably allow Birchbox and Ipsy just because they're a fun treat every month. But other than that - NOTHING but essentials like food, gas, etc. We are trying to save for our wedding but its seriously not happening. I'm thinking of going through all my shit to organize, donate and get rid of stuff. 
We're saving for a wedding, too. I understand the struggle haha!

We're saving for a wedding, too. I understand the struggle haha!
Ugh it's ridiculous how much they are!! It's really frustrating and sometimes I feel like we will never actually have a wedding because its so much.

Haha. This is exactly what I need! I love getting new makeup, but I really need to concentrate on using the stuff I have. Do any of you ever actually use up eyeshadows or lip stuff? I feel like most of the stuff that's "done" for me are either tossed bc they went bad or lost. I pretty much only regularly go through eyeliner and mascara. I'm trying to figure out how to use up stuff more quickly lol

November was better than I thought it would be for me as my first no/low buy month. I spent a crap ton of money but it was all spent on family (and my brand new baby niece who's the cutest 4 month old baby in the world (to me anyway)). I ended up buying 1 eyeshadow when I went to mac to B2M items because I thought at macys counters you could do either lipstick or eyeshadow. Turns out only lipstick and I had planned to get wood winked.... So with hubby's blessing, I got it. Then here in my yearly NYC trip to visit family, I got a pot of eyeliner since my old ones dead, and 2 brushes I needed. I've been doing good at using up what I do have and have already used up 7 items since I started my project finish it last month! So progress is being made. I hope there's no spending this December. Hubby and I are staying home this year as we alternate between his family and mine, then the 3rd is ours to spend together. I used this trip to give my gifts to family so there's no reason for me to shop (and pass the cosmetics section!) this month.

My goals for this month are as follows:

Subs:

-I paid for my first PS box a month ago so that'll be coming early this month; shouldn't be billed again until January I think

-Ipsy (I'm paid in full for a year sub already)

-Birchbox (allowing myself this one, definitely)

-Already skipped both Beauty Army boxes

-Already skipped Julep

-Highly considering skipping Glossybox since I was so bummed last month but I'm waiting until the first spoiler comes out

-My pup's BarkBox ended this month & my boyfriend graciously resubbed for her (aka he paid!)

-I skipped Spotify this month (big frownie face!)

-I'm going to put our Netflix on hold this month too, I think

Other than that, it's my birthday month so I'm going to allow myself a FEW luxaries, again under $100 limit:

-Sephora:  I already have this one planned to buy today; $18 (including tax/shipping) and I'll be getting the BITE lip pencil set, the Benefit birthday gift, the sample bag, + the other 3 free samples 

-POSSIBLY shopping Ulta's Cyber Monday sale... I could end up spending "only" $40 (including shipping) and get a ton of things I've been needing/wanting, such as MU remover (I'm completely out as of last night; ahh!), NYX lip creams (been wanting these for ages), and a good set of Real Techniques brushes... plus there's an awesome GWP with 18 samples, almost all of which I love!  Not sure I'll splurge, though.

-I have a $10 Macy's giftcard.  I have severe anxiety and HATE going to stores/dealing with salespeople but since their shipping is so high, this one would involve me going to the mall & buying a MAC lipstick... I'd only pay $5 out of pocket.  I'd say it's worth it!

-With this month's Birchbox points, I'm gonna buy something from TheBalm... either an In Stain blush or concealer, so that'd be another $8-$12 out of pocket, with free shipping

... those items considered, out of the $100 I'm allowing myself, that gives me about $30 wiggle room to mess up :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Good luck, dolls!  
flowers.gif

Bleh, I think I have Birchbox points I have to use this month.  I'm making a Birchbox rule:  It can only be household/kitchen/food items, hand cream, or order-filler items to bring the total to an even $10 increment.  I won't be spending any cash, so that would qualify for the no-buy thing, but I'm putting makeup on the no-acquire list.  I'm not even going to get those Geek Chic Cosmetics samples I wanted for Night Vale Live next month.  If GCC is still open in January (I get the feeling they might be closed for orders after this weekend until at least after Christmas to catch up on order fulfillment and for post-holiday recovery), I can get those samples since they will be the same price.  If they're not open in time, well, the universe doesn't want me to have those samples.  

But back to Birchbox points:  I actually don't really see anything in the makeup sections I want anyway except for a few things that are out of stock anyway, so at least I won't feel like I'm deprived due to not ordering something I want.  Deprived because I don't see anything I want, sure, but that's a different kind of deprivation that just makes me annoyed at the companies offering items for sale instead of sad at my financial situation.  This might change once the new stuff is released, but this is a cycle I go through every month:  Anxiously await the new items, see the new items, decide to hold off on ordering until after the boxes come out, then decide I'm not really that interested in those things after all once boxes are out and I have a bit more time to think things over.  Repeat until points start expiring.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm with you on the BB point front. I'll have over 600 points once December boxes come it. I was sitting on my 25% code for 2 weeks and realized everything in the shop is kinda meh or what I actually want isn't offered through BB anyway! I think that's a good step for me though - not having that OMG NEED IT ALL NOW feeling. I do need a new backpack but the Baggu one doesn't look like it'll hold up. Why can't BB points translate into real money? Why can't my ability to save BB points translate into an ability to save real money?? Oh, one of my conditions for doing a low buy was that I wouldn't go on serious shopping until I got an official job offer from the place I was interning at this summer. I got a call this week and was told that they will be hiring me on as a remote-part time associate while I'm still in school. I wasn't really expecting that! I just thought they'd give me a job once I was out of school and able to relocate! I haven't told many people because I haven't gotten the formal offer just yet and you never know what can happen between now and then (what if a higher-up changes his/her mind and this remote work doesn't happen??). Once everything is all good and official, I might celebrate when I get my first real pay check. I'm also planning to continue my low buy since I'll need to save to pay off school stuff and save to have money for relocation at the end of the summer!

Bleh, I think I have Birchbox points I have to use this month.  I'm making a Birchbox rule:  It can only be household/kitchen/food items, hand cream, or order-filler items to bring the total to an even $10 increment.  I won't be spending any cash, so that would qualify for the no-buy thing, but I'm putting makeup on the no-acquire list.  I'm not even going to get those Geek Chic Cosmetics samples I wanted for Night Vale Live next month.  If GCC is still open in January (I get the feeling they might be closed for orders after this weekend until at least after Christmas to catch up on order fulfillment and for post-holiday recovery), I can get those samples since they will be the same price.  If they're not open in time, well, the universe doesn't want me to have those samples.   But back to Birchbox points:  I actually don't really see anything in the makeup sections I want anyway except for a few things that are out of stock anyway, so at least I won't feel like I'm deprived due to not ordering something I want.  Deprived because I don't see anything I want, sure, but that's a different kind of deprivation that just makes me annoyed at the companies offering items for sale instead of sad at my financial situation.  This might change once the new stuff is released, but this is a cycle I go through every month:  Anxiously await the new items, see the new items, decide to hold off on ordering until after the boxes come out, then decide I'm not really that interested in those things after all once boxes are out and I have a bit more time to think things over.  Repeat until points start expiring.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Sheeeeeelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I REALLY need to stick to a low/no buy. I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE MAKEUP!! Or anything else, really! 
Yeah, that.

This month I can spend money on:

-My BB sub

-Food from the grocery store (for me or my cats)

-Basic toiletries 

-Anything I or my cats legitimately NEED, where NEED is defined as NEED, not just really really want (i.e. medical care, rent, toilet paper :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

-Cable and internet, even though to be honest they are not a need

-Gifts for parents, brother, 2 aunts, 1 cousin, 1 BFF, and the BF

-One pair of gloves if I see any I like.  I do not have any gloves.

I cannot spend money on

-Makeup

-Soaps

-Clothing unless I need something for work (i.e. if all my tights suddenly get runs in them, can get one more pair of tights)

-NAIL POLISH OMG WHY DO I SUCK SO BAD AT THIS ONE

-JULEP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD or LBB (must skip now, actually even though I REALLY WANT THE FREE NECKLACE I AM SUCH A BAD PERSON) (ok will stop with crazy girl caps lock now)

-Eating out unless it is a work related emergency (sometimes I have to stay late without warning and I am not going to say that in that instance I can't buy dinner)

Latest posts

Back