How do you feel about wigs?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On Wednesday night, I had a hair catastrophe: I was getting my roots relaxed, and it caused about 95% of my hair to fall out, and the section that was left wasn't worth keeping, so I cut it off. I still have to see a professional to get it buzzed so it's all the same length...but other than when I was a baby, I haven't had hair that's at all short -- I've always at least been able to put it in a ponytail, and before it all fell out, it was shoulder length/about 2 inches away from the top of my boobs (my goal length)...so for the time being, I'm rocking wigs. I got 2, both long, but different colors and different styles.

Before Wednesday night, I had never put on a real wig, just ones for Halloween and stuff, and I never had any interest in them at all. My sister though has been wearing wigs on a regular basis for years even though she has a beautiful, full head of hair.

How do you feel about them?

In your case they're probably fine, but it depends how realistic the wig looks. Maybe it's better to wait until it's long enough to give yourself extensions instead? That way it's at least mostly your own hair.

Quote: Originally Posted by TayBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  In your case they're probably fine, but it depends how realistic the wig looks. Maybe it's better to wait until it's long enough to give yourself extensions instead? That way it's at least mostly your own hair.

I find your post to be highly insensitive...

You probably know a number of people who wear wigs, and you have absolutely no idea!!

My hair was chemically burned off...do you know how long it will take to grow it back?!??? And before a week ago, I had NEVER had a haircut in my entire life! I'm not about to go out with basically no hair at all!!!

Personally, I love wigs. My hair doesn't grow back very fast, so while I have shorter hair I enjoy wearing a variety of wigs. They're all bright, fun colors that I could never get my real hair to be (my hair is pure black). It's great for changing up your style, or experiencing a color you can't or don't want to dye your hair.

Quote: Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find your post to be highly insensitive...

You probably know a number of people who wear wigs, and you have absolutely no idea!!

My hair was chemically burned off...do you know how long it will take to grow it back?!??? And before a week ago, I had NEVER had a haircut in my entire life! I'm not about to go out with basically no hair at all!!!
You never had one haircut in your whole life, but said in your first post that your hair was just past your shoulders? Unless you're about 7 years old, that doesn't make much sense.

But as far as the wig thing goes, yeah - go for it. Celebrities use them regularly and they look perfectly natural.

Quote: Originally Posted by amygab1126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My goodness, you're hostile.

No, I'm not. But I can't stand ignorance, especially when it's pretty rude.

I'm doing you a favor by educating you, and I'm being honest.

Next time you want to call someone out on something, make sure you know what you're talking about because you obviously had no idea what you were talking about when you said it doesn't make sense to have shoulder length hair and be over 7 years old without ever having a haircut.

Hey y'all, just popping in. As someone who buzzed her entire head of hair and then immediately regretted it, I know how important hair is and how much effects ones self-esteem/self-conscious, etc, it's a VERY emotional subject.

With that said, lets PLEASE refrain from any name calling or personal attacks, so we can keep the conversation and environment cordial.

Thanks ladies!

Look, your hand is kind of light in your avatar and you didn't say you were black. I do know that black women's hair breaks off terribly. I had a friend a few years ago who had an awful time with losing most of her hair due to breakage after keeping braids for a very long time. I should have noticed where you said the chemical process that destroyed your hair was a relaxing treatment. The 7-year-old comment was based on what I know of my own hair and that of my relatives. Sorry I didn't catch a key detail. No need to be rude anymore, alright? There's never any fighting on this forum, from what I've seen.

First of all, my hand is dark enough to see that I am most definitely black...and second of all, the 7 year old comment was completely unnecessary. It seemed like a personal attack pretty much saying that I was lying. And third, I don't think I've been rude, I've just been honest.

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hey y'all, just popping in. As someone who buzzed her entire head of hair and then immediately regretted it, I know how important hair is and how much effects ones self-esteem/self-conscious, etc, it's a VERY emotional subject.

With that said, lets PLEASE refrain from any name calling or personal attacks, so we can keep the conversation and environment cordial.

Thanks ladies!

At least you had a choice in the matter. I didn't. 

Back