Foundations for my kit - MAC, Graftobian

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a pretty new Makeup Artist (I've one 3 weddings) and I'm looking to add foundations to my kit.

Does anyone have product suggestions? I'm in the process of getting a Mac Pro card, so I'd like to stick to primarily Mac brand foundations. I've always been partial to the Fix Fluid, although I must admit, I don't really know what lines are best for which skin types? Also, I'd be interested to know which shades are most common/popular.

I've also heard great things about the Graftobian HD creme foundation pallet. Any opinions on this? I'm thinking I may add it due to the versatility of the shades.

THANKS :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

How big and heavy do you want your kit to be when you schlep it everywhere to your gigs? MAC just very recently came out with lip and concealer palettes (6 shades each). Their foundations are still in bottles and compacts. Can you picture 12 or 24 compacts and / or bottles in your kit? Even those 6 shade palettes add up weight and bulk to your kit. Graftobian, Ben Nye, Kryolan, Cinema Secrets, RCMA, all have palettes that come in 24 shades. One palette with 24 shades is a lot lighter in weight and in bulk. Again, it's a personal choice on how and what you stock in your kit. It also depends on your demographic of your clients on how many shades you stock in your kit. Skin types? Well that's what primers and powders are for, as well as your expertise on how to balance those things out. Sure there are specific lines within a brand, but how often are you going to do a specific skin type over the long term? Especially with people you will only meet twice (weddings - consult and the day of). Everyone else just once. The only exception is Personals. Sounds like you're doing weddings now. Are you going to continue on that route? Or are you going to expand to other areas like commercial, print, film, tv stuff? This will also determine on how much you will put in your kit.

There are so many great foundations out there that really have to be played with by each makeup artist to find out which one will work best for them. I can share with you ones that I've worked with ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

CAO Cosmetics Cream Foundation palette - easy mixing, great coverage, not ideal for stage or professional lighting

Ben Nye MediaPro HD Foundation palette - my all-around foundation, i can use it for just about any situation, this is also what my makeup team uses for backstage work

Kat Von D Foundation - the coverage is amazing and it goes on flawlessly, i just prefer to have a cream-based product in my freelance kit so i can custom-blend more effectively and for space in my kit

Makeup Forever HD foundation - great coverage for all skin types, pretty expensive

I use Mehron Celebre HD foundation. It photographs beautifully, but it is kind of a pain to travel with.

Back