EM Cosmetics: Michelle Phan's new cosmetic line.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

EM Cosmetics has finally launched! See here for previous information. For those who don't know, EM Cosmetics is Michelle Phan's collaboration with the L'Oreal company. Both EMCosmetics.com and EmbarkWithMichelle.com are owned by L'Oreal so the products are made by the L'Oreal company (owners of Lancome and other brands). As of right now there are lots of items ranging from foundations to eyeliners to shadow palettes and more! I'm working on adding the products to our Reviews section.

Available online only to US residents. NYC boutique will open in October.

What are your thoughts?

Palette shown is Party Life. Retail: $75.​
Source: Image from EM Cosmetics.​

Originally Posted by jbrookeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tiffany, the Mia is nothing short of amazing! Do eeet!

On another note, I just signed up on the Embark with Michelle cosmetics website to look around and maybe place an order and what the hay?? The eye/lip/cheek palettes are $75!?! A lip balm for $16?! Free shipping on $75? Errm...

Is it just me, or is that pretty high for a brand new product line just breaking into the market?
It's high to me. I wouldn't balk at paying those prices for, say, NARS, but not Michelle Phan's line. Maybe I'm not big enough of a fan? *shrugs*

I really like the concept of several of her products.

I'm really interested in trying the chiaroscuro stick for sculpting and contouring, and I also want the concealer palette. I may wait until October, so that I can go to the physical store, since I live in NY. Or maybe I'll wait until someone posts a review of her products. 

I find it convenient the way things are packaged, I really like Michele, I really hope this products are good quality. I do think that her prices are a bit expensive, but if the quality is there, I would splurge on one or two things. 

It's high to me. I wouldn't balk at paying those prices for, say, NARS, but not Michelle Phan's line. Maybe I'm not big enough of a fan? *shrugs*
same here. Also I don't know if im willing to pay a "broke" price or a "ballin" one. Can someone translate? Jk. Talk about tacky.

They're pulled the matte lipsticks. I asked via their live chat and here's the reply.

our matte lipsticks are currently unavailiable and will not be availiable with the designated amount of time for customers to preorder. we try to keep the products on the website to only those you can order right now, then we can surprise you with our new stuff when it becomes available!

Originally Posted by evildrporkchop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by jbrookeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tiffany, the Mia is nothing short of amazing! Do eeet!

On another note, I just signed up on the Embark with Michelle cosmetics website to look around and maybe place an order and what the hay?? The eye/lip/cheek palettes are $75!?! A lip balm for $16?! Free shipping on $75? Errm...

Is it just me, or is that pretty high for a brand new product line just breaking into the market?

I am a big fan of Michelle Phan, but $75 is too much.  I get the high price though - She's offering the equivalent of 4 compacts of eyeshadow/blush/lip, with more colors to choose from.  If they separated the palettes into 4 compacts, I would buy one of the compacts to try. But $75 is a steep commitment for looks that I may not use.  

Edit:  I found their eyeshadow sets that are $38 each.  That is still very high for me.

For the life palette, I also would have a hard time transferring 10 + shadows/lip/blush pans and try to fit it all into a smaller compact.  This seems very labor intensive and not practical.  I wish their mini compacts were similar to the magnetic compacts she was offering in the March Ipsy bag.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They're pulled the matte lipsticks. I asked via their live chat and here's the reply.

Quote: our matte lipsticks are currently unavailiable and will not be availiable with the designated amount of time for customers to preorder. we try to keep the products on the website to only those you can order right now, then we can surprise you with our new stuff when it becomes available!
You mean they ran out of the matte lipsticks or that they're pulling them because of some product launch issue?

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't view the site without registering/logging in.  That annoys me so much!
Interesting!  I thought I needed to register to view the products before its formal launched.  I wonder if this is a way to expand her email list and to get free marketing data from a potential customer base.

Yeesh, they're more expenisve than Lancome. Also, browsing through the site without signing up, they already have a "most popular" item? Huh?? Most popular based on....... the 0 customers you've already had?

I don't think Michelle is $75 high end. I'm not saying she's low end, but I think, considering her fans, it would've done best marketed as a lower mid-end product. But I guess it's L'oreal's money on the line and they know what they're doing...

I can't view the site without registering/logging in.  That annoys me so much!
Interesting!  I thought I needed to register to view the products before its formal launched.  I wonder if this is a way to expand her email list and to get free marketing data from a potential customer base.
I was annoyed too but my curiosity got the better of me. Now, considering it might have just been some sneaky, underhanded move to get my email and personal data, I'm kind of pissed.

I don't really want to give them my email either just to see what she has to offer plus the prices seem high anyway considering a lot of her fan base are young girls.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeesh, they're more expenisve than Lancome. Also, browsing through the site without signing up, they already have a "most popular" item? Huh?? Most popular based on....... the 0 customers you've already had?

I don't think Michelle is $75 high end. I'm not saying she's low end, but I think, considering her fans, it would've done best marketed as a lower mid-end product. But I guess it's L'oreal's money on the line and they know what they're doing...
It looks like they gave out advance access and products to some people as there are items on the site with reviews from a couple of weeks ago. The end notes on the reviews note that they were provided for review purposes. So, guessing the "most popular" were all based on those. Or maybe it's just the most popular items among Michelle and company.

Originally Posted by jbrookeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was annoyed too but my curiosity got the better of me. Now, considering it might have just been some sneaky, underhanded move to get my email and personal data, I'm kind of pissed.
I used an email account I keep for signing up for things I don't want going into and giving away my personal email account. Wish I'd started doing that years ago, though...

There is potential, but I don't understand why arrange a pallete so weirdly?  I CAN'T stand eyeshadow and blush gunking up everything (lip products especially).  At least the travel one looks like it would be safer. It does look like the lip stuff is on the top edge.

Originally Posted by puffyeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There is potential, but I don't understand why arrange a pallete so weirdly?  I CAN'T stand eyeshadow and blush gunking up everything (lip products especially).  At least the travel one looks like it would be safer. It does look like the lip stuff is on the top edge.
Hahaha, I also agree you should NEVER mix lip pans with blush/eyeshadow. Especially since mine has a tendency to get loose in my makeup bags.

Hahaha, I also agree you should NEVER mix lip pans with blush/eyeshadow. Especially since mine has a tendency to get loose in my makeup bags.
My balm jovi has lip pans in it. I never use them but they're always dusted in shadow and blush.

Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: our matte lipsticks are currently unavailiable and will not be availiable with the designated amount of time for customers to preorder. we try to keep the products on the website to only those you can order right now, then we can surprise you with our new stuff when it becomes available!
You mean they ran out of the matte lipsticks or that they're pulling them because of some product launch issue?

To be honest, no idea. As of early this morning (around 9 AM Pacific) the matte lipsticks were on the site but around 11 AM Pacific the matte lipsticks were completely removed. I asked Jessica from their live chat and that's the response given.

Also, I realized her wording and the wording on the site makes me wonder IF product is even available. She said "preorder" but nothing on the site indicated anything is a preorder.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That was my first thought too. It seems that L'Oreal corp is banking on Michelle being a big enough name to justify designer brand prices. I like Michelle, I do, but regardless her name is NOT on par with Chanel, Dior, Tom Ford or any other designer with a cosmetic line. Granted she has millions of followers but outside of her YouTube followers she's not known but I think L'Oreal is banking on that YouTube popularity to sell the items at that high of a price. Personally I think the fault lies with L'Oreal on the prices because they're trying to market it as a designer brand.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To be honest, no idea. As of early this morning (around 9 AM Pacific) the matte lipsticks were on the site but around 11 AM Pacific the matte lipsticks were completely removed. I asked Jessica from their live chat and that's the response given.

Also, I realized her wording and the wording on the site makes me wonder IF product is even available. She said "preorder" but nothing on the site indicated anything is a preorder.

That was my first thought too. It seems that L'Oreal corp is banking on Michelle being a big enough name to justify designer brand prices. I like Michelle, I do, but regardless her name is NOT on par with Chanel, Dior, Tom Ford or any other designer with a cosmetic line. Granted she has millions of followers but outside of her YouTube followers she's not known but I think L'Oreal is banking on that YouTube popularity to sell the items at that high of a price. Personally I think the fault lies with L'Oreal on the prices because they're trying to market it as a designer brand.
yeah it really seems like L'Oreal doesn't know Michelle's demographic. Just by looking at Ipsy which has always seemed to have well known yet mid range cosmetic products, I don't think your casual Ipsy subscriber would want to pay that much for makeup when even some of Michelle's fans here don't want to pay that much.

Latest posts

Back