How do you pronounce...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how you all pronounce certain brands, so I thought this might be a fun little thing to do. I'll start off

I pronounce...

Illamasqua - eel-LLAMA-squaw 

Bvlgari - bul-GARI

Caudalie - CAW-da-LEE

Ciate- SEE-ah-TEH

Hanae Mori -  ha-neh mor-ree

L'Occitane - LO-see-tan

Ouidad - OO-EE-dad

If you can think of other brands that we may pronounce different, please post them.

Hanae Mori is Japanese so would be pronounced ha-nah-eh moh-ry (a bit like 'story'). You know, I never realized there was an I at the beginning of Illamasqua until you posted this! My mind = blown.

It's funny you posted this. My mom and I got into a discussion about the correct pronunciation of "Givenchy" on thanksgiving. Apparently it's jee-von-SHAY and not "give-in-chee" as I've been ever-so-classily pronouncing it lol.

I say Givenchy like jih-ven-chee, but kind of halfway between a 'shee' and a 'chee' if that makes sense? 

One that always gets me is actually Sephora. When I was younger I knew someone named Sefora and the emphasis was on the first syllable. I think a lot of people put the emphasis on the second one, though?

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I say Givenchy like jih-ven-chee, but kind of halfway between a 'shee' and a 'chee' if that makes sense? 

One that always gets me is actually Sephora. When I was younger I knew someone named Sefora and the emphasis was on the first syllable. I think a lot of people put the emphasis on the second one, though?

I put the emphasis on the second syllable. se-FOR-ah

I don't know whether this is right or wrong, but I've always pronounced Caudalie as "co daoll e". Daoll is sort of doll but with a hint of 'a' slipped in. That makes no sense, sorry.

As for Sephora, I always say sefORa.

Quote: Originally Posted by Deareux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm curious to know how you all pronounce certain brands, so I thought this might be a fun little thing to do. I'll start off

I pronounce...

Illamasqua - eel-LLAMA-squaw 

Bvlgari - bul-GARI

Caudalie - CAW-da-LEE

Ciate- SEE-ah-TEH

Hanae Mori -  ha-neh mor-ree

L'Occitane - LO-see-tan

Ouidad - OO-EE-dad

If you can think of other brands that we may pronounce different, please post them.

Illamasqua - Ill-uh-mas-ka

Bvlgari - Bull-gar-ee

Caudalie - no idea

Ciate - See-ah-te

Hanae Mori - Ha-na-e Mo-ri

Quote: Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's funny you posted this. My mom and I got into a discussion about the correct pronunciation of "Givenchy" on thanksgiving. Apparently it's jee-von-SHAY and not "give-in-chee" as I've been ever-so-classily pronouncing it lol.

That's the easiest way to kill certain Manhattanites via heart attack, lol. But she wasn't quite right either (though many pronounce it like that) It's jee (but a sort "ja" sound, sort of like Zsa Zsa Gabor) von-SHEE.  JSEE-von-SHEE. lol here, this might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FofqlgQVItE

Illamasqua -ill-a-mask-uh

Bvlgari- bull-gar-e

Caudalie- caw-da-lee

Ciate- see-ah-tah

Hanae Mori - Han-a 0 More-i

Givenchy- ... G-von-she (that's G as in the letter G)

Sephora- is widely pronounced (around here) Sa-for-a .. short a sound in both A's.

No clue the others. Although, I'm familiar with the brands I don't really saw them aloud. lol

That being said.. I have a very very strong accent.

Until reading this, I actually said "Luh-Ock-Tane" -- because apparently I can't read, either.  LOL!  Great thread!

Until reading this, I actually said "Luh-Ock-Tane" -- because apparently I can't read, either.  LOL!  Great thread!
Lol me too!

I'm always feeling like an idiot when at sephora I will spell out the brand for them if I can't find it! Dunno why boscia is one that always makes me hesitate on correct pronunciation!

Latest posts

Back