2014 Beauty New Years Resolutions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few beauty related resolutions for the New year so I decided to start a thread about it.

Here are a few of mine:

1. Spend less money on makeup (we'll see how long this lasts).

2. Write down anything I buy beauty and non-beauty so I can track my spending. Hopefully this will help with #1.

3. Cancel my Ipsy subscription. I do like that you get your money's worth (aka it's a great value for what you pay) but I feel like the last few months I haven't really been using the products so it defeats the purpose even if it is "only" $10/month. (I already cancelled Sample Society and Glossybox this year Yay Me).

4. Shop my stash before I buy anything new.

5. Work on using things 1 thing at a time until I finish it and then move on to the next. Sometimes I tend to start using 1 thing, then switch instead of just finishing up. (I just read about the Monday Club and I love that idea)

6. Get rid of all the samples I currently have and don't want/will not use even if it means selling a few lots on ebay.

7. Stop getting suckered into the whole I need something. It happened w/the Naked palettes and some MAC limited editions etc. I DON'T NEED THIS STUFF. I need to remember this!

8. Try and put away the $ I was spending on the beauty subs and having a lump sum of $ to spend at the end of the year either for Christmas gifts or for myself! :)

Wow! I didn't expect my list to be so long!

Ohhhh fun!

Hmmmm let's see

1)Do my makeup at least 3 times a week. I need the practice and  I need to use up my stash.

2)Definitely curb my spending I always go nuts in the last quarter when all the sets come out and I definitely need to keep it in check this year.

3) Work on my skincare routine, I've been lax about it but I'm getting older and I definitely would like to get into a more solid nightly skincare routine.

4)Enlist hubby in #3 too he needs to start taking care of himself too

I think that's it

Mine would definitely be to spend less money on makeup! I have way too much, and need to use what I have or give it away. 

+Try to do my makeup *at least* once a week.

+Use up hair products, so I guess maybe I should try doing my hair more often. xD (I never do my hair, just braid it or wear it down.)
+Use up more of my makeup products.
+I don't want to buy as much products! If I do, I need to do a lot of research on the products beforehand. (I actually usually do this already but this year I made the mistake of wanting to buy a MAC eyeshadow on a whim, and when I got home, it was the exact same colour as one of my L'oreal Infallible shadows -- and the L'oreal one is better!)
+Try to fix my acne problem. (I never had acne in my life, but in August I started having a problem and I want to solve it before I graduate high school. (I'm graduating in June!))
+Find ways to use products I never touched!

That's all I can think of for now. I know I'm getting Sephora gift cards this holiday and probably for my birthday in May, so I won't really count those as spending $ on makeup.

Also I don't want to really try to renew vib anymore.

$40 or less on makeup/skincare/haircare a month, unless I need foundation which I can spend the $42 my makeup forever costs.

Use up at least half of the loose shadows I have

Finish at least one whole tube of lipstick

I need to cancel some subscriptions and try to not purchase anything new until I have emptied the old one. I need to save up atleast $3500 by mid march in order to take a trip to Paris. And if that's going to happen, a serious no-buy has to be kept.

My #1 beauty new year's resolution for 2014:

1.) Phase out old products as I use them up for completely cruelty-free options. (This applies to skincare and make-up, and maybe household items too).

I've already got a list of products I want to use to replace my old ones.

If anyone has any tips, please feel free to share them with me through PM or whatever! I'm open to any ideas!

I might have more later too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deareux /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I need to cancel some subscriptions and try to not purchase anything new until I have emptied the old one. I need to save up atleast $3500 by mid march in order to take a trip to Paris. And if that's going to happen, a serious no-buy has to be kept.
Whoa, GOOD LUCK!!! You can do it, I know you can. Remember, experiences are worth so much more than things. You probably still look lovely without your expensive  makeup on anyway. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My NYE beauty resolutions is to always maintain flawless skin. I want to consistently be using moisturizer and the perfect shades of foundation, powder, and concealer. No too much concerned about eyes but my skin needs to always be on point. I have hyper pigmentation and I normally leave the house without any makeup and I don't like the way my skin looks without foundation. I just started using the beauty blender to apply my foundation and notice that it truly makes a world of a difference!

1.  Buy only what makeup I'm really going to use.

2. Practice, practice practice.  I wear it everyday now but I need to be less shy of new looks.

3. Better skin care.  I need to get into a good routine.

Besides Birchbox and Ipsy, not to buy any products unless I am completely out of all products in that category. I must spend less and use what I have. And avoid temptation of really good deals. Also no new clothes until I lose all the weight I want to. 15 pounds so far:D

I'm going to try to spend less on makeup and maybe more on skincare products. I think its time to focus on getting my skin to a good enough place to where I don't feel like buying more expensive makeup to try to make it look better. I might cancel my Ipsy subscriptions or at least one of them, lol. I just ordered a clarisonic mia 2, but most things I try to make a routine never work because I get lazy! So, once I get this mia thing and try it and see if I like it, I'm going to try my best to stick to it and continue using it even when I'm feeling lazy, lol.

-Use things up! If I hoard them forever, they'll go bad before they get used.

-Find a face routine, and stick to it! Stop switching up foundations/concealers/powders, just find a good combo that works for me, and stick to it. Experiment with the fun color cosmetics instead :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

-Buy fewer cheap products, so I will have more money to spend on nice things. Especially eyeshadow. Random drugstore eyeshadow is not worth it. Unless I already know it's good from reviews or whatever, I could easily skip this and maybe buy a high-end palette or two. 

-Look up reviews before I buy things! Think through my purchases! Hopefully spend less, or if not, at least I'll be spending it on things I really like.

1) Spend less than $450 next year on makeup. That sounds like a lot, but if you break it down, that's around $37 a month...I have pretty good impulse control when it comes to beauty products most of the time, and the $350 is for requalifying for VIB (though I'm a little disenchanted with Sephora... mostly I have flash, so it's worth it), the other $100 is for random impulse purchases which will mainly be nail polish related. I figured out a lot of stuff I liked this year via BB but now I'm mostly unethused with it so it's better for me to put that money to what I do like. 

I'm also going to be pretty strict in tracking it, so spreadsheet here I come.

2) Be better about taking care of my skin. I'm going to see a real freaking dermatologist this year, and the only medical professionals I trust less than dermatologists are dentists, but :||| We'll see. Maybe I'll try microdermabrasion. I really want to figure out some eye creme. I'm finally in my mid 20's and getting fine lines because I smile so damn much so I should either find something that works really well or stop smiling. The latter is a lot harder for me to do, actually.

Be more consistent about using my Mia brush. I'm doing it like twice a week, I paid for it so I really should do it every day.

3) use up stuff! I'm really bad about tossing crap out that I don't like, but I'm just hoarding it at this point. I feel really bad, but there's not much I can do for lip products that just don't work with my skin. :

4) Buy less polish (yeah, right. CRY). I got to about 80-90 last year, and now I'm at 130ish (with more orders coming in) and I'm already eyeing the entire January polish collection... but if I can limit myself to 36 new polishes (so an average of 3 new ones per month) I'd be pleased. I have so many damn polishes I haven't even swatched yet, including nice ones I've been sitting on like EP and Dance Legend ;_;

1. Finish up 3/4 of the nail polish I have before I buy any more.
2. Keep using my Clarisonic consistently.

3. Finish up products I bought in 2012.

4. NO impulse purchases.

5. Invest in a good hairdryer. (I've been meaning to do this for a long time but my Revlon one just won't die!)

Mine's simple:

Continue to low buy (replacements only), use up, toss, and give away until all my beauty products (make up, skin care) fit in my everyday makeup bag and one caboodle. 

I am going to:

1- Finally trash old Urban Decay palettes I've been holding onto since 2011 (I just bought Vice 2, the Book of Shadows 4 redux, and Glinda,  I do not NEED 3-4 year old palettes that have passed their shelf life.)

2- No impulse beauty purchases, I will only buy what I need.

3- I have a pretty lofty financial goal for 2014, I want to pay off my $5k in credit card debt and have $5k in my savings account by 2015.  There's no way I can accomplish that with the amount I have been spending on make up.  No buy forum here I come!!

Here's my plan:

-Start (and stick with) a skincare routine. I don't even take my makeup off at night so I need to start taking better care of my skin.

-Use bio-oil daily to get rid of my post-pregnancy stretch marks & find a firming lotion of some kind.

-Splurge on a few quality items instead of a whole bunch of cheap ones.

- Stop hoarding.  There is no win in this.  Just more expired stuff for the toss pile.

- Give, gift, sell, trade the massive pile of beauty subscription products I've never opened.

- Shop at home first.

- Learn and practice nail art.  I have 8 year old skillz.

- Be fabulous.  *tosses glitter dust*

My biggest beauty resolution is to start taking better care of my skin. I want to get in a routine and stick with it!

I also want to start using only cruelty free brands and mostly indie companies whenever I can! (I'm not just going to throw away my non cruelty free branded stuff, but I'm not going to buy it.)

I also really need to organize my stash, since I have a bunch of stuff everywhere!

Latest posts

Back