Japonesque free-form Eyelash Curler - Have you tried it?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Japonesque has lots of different eyelash curlers- regular ones, heated ones, precision ones, travel ones, but the one I want to know about is this one:

Have you used it? How easy is it to use?

I am thinking about purchasing it because I cannot use the ones that have to go against the eyelash, and since they have the sides, I just can't handle it and it doesn't work for my eyeshape.

I can't use this kind:

See how it has edges on either side? And how the design has to go right against your eyelid? The curve has to fit your eyeshape exactly to keep from guessing or pinching.

Not the one without the sides, (first picture). I'm excited to try it!

So, have you tried it, and what is your experience? Is it easier to use? Does it produce nice curls?

Thanks for your input!

Yes, I have and use both, the individual one (Japonesque), and the regular one (Tweezerman). Both of my curlers below are 18 years old, and I've yet to change out the original pads.
I find that these style of curlers are extremely easy to use, are meant to be heated, easy to align with all widths of eye shapes, easy to clean, and are light in terms of weight, (some MUA's that I've worked with, like the weight of the metal ones, but that is a personal preference). Even for me, in the earlier days, the heavier weight of a metal lash curler, gave the impression that the curler is creating a tighter curl, which is true. But I also found that the two end support posts, limited the positional range of the curler, and can cause potential pinch points. Having said that, the metal ones have been around a lot longer than the Japonesque ones (open-ended / free-form). So there's that.

Thanks so much for your advice, @vogueboy ! I think I'll be purchasing this when I can. I think it's important for me to have nice eyelashes because my eyes are such that I can't really pull off dramatic eyeshadow, so I have to rock good lashes, and I'm not one for fakes.

Japonesque has two sizes, a regular-size one and a detail one, for smaller areas. I'm trying to decide which to get... they're both the same price. Hmmm....

I ended up getting the regular-size one at dermstore, and there was a 10% off code, a mystery gift, and free shipping! So YAY!

I'll let everyone know how it goes!

I haven't tried the Japonesque curler, but it is interesting - you've gotta love how it has no sides to pinch!

Right now, I'm using the MAC eyelash curler, which is a traditional one.  But, it is just ever-so-slightly more rounded, so it gets more of the lashes in there in one shot, which I really like about it.  But you still have to be careful of the pinching!

Please let us know how you like the Japonesque one after you use it.

I was ordering something else and I ended up ordering the Japonesque eyelash curler as well. My current one does not fit my eye shape that well and the sides always get in the way. This will be my first more expensive-ish curler so I am excited to see if it works better than my ELF one.

Hey to everyone who's been interested in this post.

So, I bought my eyelash curler from blush.com, and it was the 'professional eyelash curler' http://www.blush.com/product_Professional+Lash+Curler_36104.htm

I got it in and was really excited. I have used it the past week. I feel that even without the edges that pinch, it's still not exactly the right curve for my eye, so I find  myself doing one half, then the other.  I love it, but because of this, I realized I might as well get the 'precision eyelash curler' instead of the larger one, which would make it easier to get every lash.

So, I called Blush.com CS and they are super nice- they are actually letting me keep the curler, refunding me the money, and I'm going to buy the precision size one when the refund comes through. How awesome is that? Blush.com rocks!!!!

So, I think I'll be happier with this one due to my somewhat protruding and down-turned eyes. It's the same price: http://www.blush.com/product_Precision+Lash+Curler_36102.htm

Isn't it cute?

Another thing to note which may  of importance:

The 'precision' size one comes with 2 replacement pads stored in the handle- as can be seen in the photo. However, the larger 'professional' size only comes with one extra replacement pad.

Also, you can supposedly order replacement pads for free for the life of the curler from Japonesque.com, but they actually don't offer replacement pads for either of these two plastic models- I guess because they already come with replacements stored in the handle. http://japonesque.com/curler-program/

So that may make up your mind for you.

Good luck!

I'll post photos later!

Also, I haven't attempted to heat it before curling yet, but I will try that soon!

Also, forgot to say, don't forget to check retailmenot.com for coupon codes at dermstore or blush.com- I got a free gift code, and I think 10% off my order- awesome!

ETA: Shu Uemura also has a new eyelash curler similar to the Japonesque precision curler above, but it's $24 instead of $13. I think I'm sticking with the Japonesque!

I'd love to try this because regular eyelash curlers are also difficult for me to use (I have a very pronounced crease and almond-shaped eyes that are wide). But I'm not going to lie - it looks terrifying! I only recently started using lash curlers because my mother suggested it, but it was quite scary at first xP

I'll look for the tweezerman one but I'm a little intimidated. Thanks for posting about this!

Latest posts

Back