Beginner at makeup! How's my look? Advice?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I haven't posted in quite a while, last was close to a year ago letting everyone know I had decided to see a gender therapist.  I'm happy to say I am now in transition from male to female and am trying to get serious about my look, including makeup!  I'm super beginner though, and I was hoping you all could help me figure out what would look best for me, including styles and colors and such! 

Here's a pic of a look I think came out alright, what do you girls think?  Thanks so much :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi there Girlyboy,

you look great I wish I could look half as good as you do.

I am the same as you being to transition from Male to Female I had my first appointment at my local gender clinic July 2012 now I have been on hormones since April this year, I just finished a voice course that the local clinic arranged, there was meant to be between 6 and 8 of us on it but the first week only 5 turned up and from the second week on there was only 4 of us one week only myself and one other turned up be the next it was back to the 4 of us, it is not a voice training course that most people would think of but it just showed you how far your range is and how to obtain the voice you want. when I first went I believed that I only had a deep male sounding voice but the course showed that i had a quite good range of pitch and tone and that i could use what i wanted it was well worth going on but like most things in life you get out when you put in if you do the practice then you will get what you want but if you do not bother then you will not get anything out of it so now i need lots of practice.

one thing i would like is to be able to do my makeup as good as you do i accept that i will never pass fully as a woman due to my leaving it so long before i started but when i was young if you had told anyone that you were transgender then that was asking to be beat up or if you told your doctor then you would end up in the nut house and they would try and reprogram you to what they believed was normal.

i believe that young people who come out now are much better off then my generation were back when i was young if you came out as gay that was enough to know you were in for a very hard life if some one did not kill you first.

anyway again i have to say you look the perfect woman you are.

regards Poppy Ann

You look beautiful and your skin looks flawless.  

What type of look are you going for?  When I was first learning how to put makeup on, for different type "looks", I would go to the MAC counter for a makeover. They give you a chart with how to apply the make up.  I had a natural, a night out and day event chart. I would use that as my reference  and buy other colors and apply the same way.  You have to spend a certain amount of money for the makeover but it can be worth it to learn if don't know how.  I know Sephora does makeovers but I have no experience with that store.

Congratulations on deciding to transition.  You are an inspiration to many.  

Quote: Originally Posted by Babs28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  You look beautiful and your skin looks flawless.  

What type of look are you going for?  When I was first learning how to put makeup on, for different type "looks", I would go to the MAC counter for a makeover. They give you a chart with how to apply the make up.  I had a natural, a night out and day event chart. I would use that as my reference  and buy other colors and apply the same way.  You have to spend a certain amount of money for the makeover but it can be worth it to learn if don't know how.  I know Sephora does makeovers but I have no experience with that store.

Congratulations on deciding to transition.  You are an inspiration to many.  

Hi! Thanks for the advice :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.  Actually I'm not going for a specific look, just for something that will make me more passable as a female and that won't call attention to myself(IE not a clown!).  I'm still too nervous really to go out and get a makeover even though I want one, I still present as a male currently and my voice is deep so I'm too paranoid about all that.  So I'm just playing around on my own with drugstore stuff trying to figure out what looks halfway decent lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back