Need help buying a makup kit for a gift

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My friend lost all her make up (and makeup tools?) at the airport so i want to buy her a complete set/kit of makeup. Is there such a thing?

I am a guy and this if my first time buying makeup so yeah...i am completely clueless.

What i have in mind is a complete kit of makeup. Like every makeup and tool to be in there. Accept nail polish. That is not important.

s such thing available? What are they called?

And the most important thing i want to know is what brand to get? What is a good brand/s of makeup that aren't expensive. Something that is good and affordable. 

Appreciate any help!

Cheers!

P.S I saw at the mall a makeup kit at Victoria's Secret called The Naked's Kit. Any good?

Quote: Originally Posted by freefallin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My friend lost all her make up (and makeup tools?) at the airport so i want to buy her a complete set/kit of makeup. Is there such a thing?

I am a guy and this if my first time buying makeup so yeah...i am completely clueless.

What i have in mind is a complete kit of makeup. Like every makeup and tool to be in there. Accept nail polish. That is not important.

s such thing available? What are they called?

And the most important thing i want to know is what brand to get? What is a good brand/s of makeup that aren't expensive. Something that is good and affordable. 

Appreciate any help!

Cheers!

P.S I saw at the mall a makeup kit at Victoria's Secret called The Naked's Kit. Any good?

There are but most of those kits contain cheap quality products. Do you have a budget? If you don't have a budget then consider these items:

CASE:

• Burman Industries MC-111 Makeup Case $180
  • Zuca Pro Artist Case $305
  • OnDgo Soft Case Stacked with Trolley $224
  • SHANY Black Rolling Trolley Makeup Case $148
  • SHANY Black Trolley Case $140 - I actually had this one but in zebra print and unfortunately didn't have it for 24 hours when TSA broke the latch and bent the side in.
  • SHANY Makeup Train Case $40 - I actually bought this for one of my girls via Amazon and she loves it but due to all the stuff she now has is quickly outgrowing it. I have a zebra print one (the top half of the trolley case I mentioned above) and it's the same size. I keep my blushes in it.

BRUSH SETS:

• Bdellium Tools 15 piece or 22 piece brush sets. I own the Yellow Bambu 15 piece set and 5 piece Green Bambu. I love their brushes. I paid under $60 during Black Friday but I think their normal price is around $90.
  • Morphe/Crown Brush (same company) - they sell individual brushes and sets. The brushes are very inexpensive.
  • Real Techinques - not my favorite brush sets but other people do like these and it's relatively inexpensive at ULTA and many times they do a buy 1, get 1 50% off and sometimes B1G1 Free.
  • Eco Tools - inexpensive and decent quality. Small sets can be picked up for $15.

MAKE UP:

That's harder to say because you didn't indicate if this was for her, what brands she likes or if she's a working pro. If she's a working pro that would completely change what I would recommend.

As for the Victoria Secret kit... no idea. They're stuff is just branded with their logo so it's probably no different than Markwins (Wet n Wild). If you're going to get her a make up palette like that then get one from Sephora or BH Cosmetics or Coastal Scents.

I would say your best bet is to buy sets of different items. If your not looking to have everything by Christmas then I made some affordable suggestions. If you are, then you'd have to go in store to a place like Ulta or Sephora and just pick out some items.

Coastal Scents brush set - Link - this is an affordable brush set that got decent reviews.

Coastal scents also has a lot of good eye shadow palettes that also receive good reviews. Link

Then you could go over to Sephoras gift section and maybe get a set of lip gloss heres one, a set of eye liner & mascara Link, Blush Link

Take a look at sephoras sale and gift section, i'm sure you'll find some other goodies as well. You may also want to consider a gift card, so she can pick her own items.

You will not be able to pick out her foundation or powder as that's something only she would know.

Have you consider giving her a gift card (Ulta, Sephora, Macy's)? It would be best if she could pick her own makeup. Here my recommendation for brush set (Sort from low to high price):

Eco Tools sets are travel friendly and inexpensive.

Sonia Kashuk brush sets is relatively inexpensive and you can get them at Target.

Sephora set of brushes are good quality, fairly priced, and non shedding. I have their dual-end brushes roll set.

Bdellium Tools are good quality but pricey.

As for makeup I would need to know what brands she likes, what look she wear her makeup(classic, professional, sultry, hip, natural, or worldly) and what is her skin tone(light, fair, medium,olive, tan, brown, dark brown, or black ) before I could give you some good recommendation. If you don't know and can't ask her, then try ask her female friend for the answers. If she does not care about the brand of makeup she wear than I would say NYX Cosmetics is a good brand of makeup that is affordable and they do sell sets/kits.

Have not tried Victoria's Secret makeup so can't tell you anything about it.

Thanks all for your replies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Have you consider giving her a gift card (Ulta, Sephora, Macy's)? It would be best if she could pick her own makeup. Here my recommendation for brush set (Sort from low to high price):

Eco Tools sets are travel friendly and inexpensive.

Sonia Kashuk brush sets is relatively inexpensive and you can get them at Target.

Sephora set of brushes are good quality, fairly priced, and non shedding. I have their dual-end brushes roll set.

Bdellium Tools are good quality but pricey.

As for makeup I would need to know what brands she likes, what look she wear her makeup(classic, professional, sultry, hip, natural, or worldly) and what is her skin tone(light, fair, medium,olive, tan, brown, dark brown, or black ) before I could give you some good recommendation. If you don't know and can't ask her, then try ask her female friend for the answers. If she does not care about the brand of makeup she wear than I would say NYX Cosmetics is a good brand of makeup that is affordable and they do sell sets/kits.

Have not tried Victoria's Secret makeup so can't tell you anything about it.
Hmmm lets see...

Style of makeup: Classic/natural

Skin tone: Light (or fair?) (Asian)

I've done some research and i'm thinking of getting here the 22 pieces Coastal Scent brushes and Naked 2 Palette by Urban Decay. What do you think?

I think that Naked 1 looks more flattering on warm, yellow-undertoned skin while Naked 2 looks more flattering on cool-to-neutral skintones and Naked 3 is a new range of everyday wearable shades in pinks more than neutral.

If she's Asian she's probably a yellow-undertoned so I would go with the Naked 1 instead of the Naked 2.

I have not try the Coastal Scents brush but I read reviews saying they were pretty decent.

I disagree about the Naked palettes. I'm very pale with neutral tones, and I prefer Naked 1 even though people say pale people will prefer N2. It depends what she actually likes to wear rather than what people say goes with what skin. Naked3 is a neutral palette and it's my favourite, but it's a lot of rose hues. Naked 2 seems to be the favourite of most people. I think it's alright. I bought my Korean mother-in-law the Naked2 and she loves it.

Quote: Originally Posted by ddalgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I disagree about the Naked s. I'm very pale with neutral tones, and I prefer Naked 1 even though people say pale people will prefer N2. It depends what she actually likes to wear rather than what people say goes with what skin.

Naked3 is a neutral palette and it's my favourite, but it's a lot of rose hues.

Naked 2 seems to be the favourite of most people. I think it's alright. I bought my Korean mother-in-law the Naked2 and she loves it.
Those are just my thought on the Naked palettes. I'm a yellow tones fair skin Asian and I prefer/use the Naked 1 palette more.

Latest posts

Back