Tarte Amazonian Colored Clay 7 Piece Collection (Pic Heavy, as usual)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweakabell

Bringing you peace one war at a time
Reaction score
So when QVC gave the option of pre-ordering  a Tarte TSV, I, loving Tarte and being in the mood to spend money, picked it up. It contained a Colored Clay CC primer and Amazonian Colored Clay liquid foundation in your choice of shade. I chose the Light shade as that is what I wear in their Amazonian clay full coverage foundation. It also came with an angled brush to apply the foundation, a LipSurgence lip gloss in True Love, a Lights Camera Lashes mascara, an Amazonian Colored Clay bronzer blush in Pink Bronze, and an Amazonian Colored Clay eyeliner in Black. It also came with a pink makeup bag.

The included pamphlet

First looks: Very pretty packaging, it reminds me of agate. I also realized that it was not a LipSurgence crayon it was truly a gloss, Neat!

Lip Gloss wand (has weird divot in it, I wasn't too thrilled with that) Very pretty color though.

Bronzer Blush

Primer stick: Reminds me of a panstick I had many years ago. It has   

green and lavender stripes for color balancing.

Angled Application Brush: Soft and dense, very nice.

Now for the true test. It's easy to look pretty in packaging.

Fresh Faced.

Hello MUT ladies
wave.gif

This will be a side by side comparison between my normal Tarte foundation and the new product

Since it was a new product I followed their instructions ( I will regret that)

First I applied the primer per their instructions. Directly on the skin in circular motions starting in the center an blending out. Both sides for a fair test.

Ok simple enough. It actually worked well and balanced the red in my cheeks. Off to a good start!

So this is my normal set up:

Tarte full coverage foundation and their airbrush foundation brush. It's extremely easy to use, even I can't screw it up. I apply it directly to my face. One stripe on each cheekbone, one down my forehead, and one down my chin. Buff out and spot apply on trouble spots. Side by side means only half a face so for your entertainment pleasure:

OOOOH, pretty lol

And buff out:

My normal foundation                                                    Primer only

So let's open the new foundation:

Oh it's liquid liquid foundation,
unsure.gif
ok. The foundation needs to be shaken and there is a mesh sifter in the middle to tap your brush against to collect product. I used the provided angled brush not the airbrush brush pictured. So their instructions say to press the brush into the sifter then buff and blend onto skin in outward, even strokes.

First attempt did not go so well:

Normal Foundation                                          New Foundation

It feels like I have makeup on. Not a feel I like much. It feels slightly greasy and seems to age my face slightly. It also seems to have a slightly more yellow tint than my normal shade. Hmmm
plain.gif
Oh well let's put on some finishing touches. Mascara, Liner, blush, and gloss.

I'm wearing all the included colors except for the bronzer blush. I am wearing an Ulta blush. I tried to follow their instructions for the bronzer blush, which was dust along cheek bones, down the center of the nose, and across your forehead. I'm not sure who decided on those instructions but I ended up with a giant pink stripe on my forehead. I will post a lot of embarrassing pictures but me looking like an idiot with a giant pink swipe across my forehead because I trusted the instructions is not one of them. I'll try it again later.

This was not a wear test, it was just an application trial so all thoughts are based on application not longevity.

So in summary:

Primer: Good, a little thick but evened skin tone nicely

Gloss: Very pretty, good color, not too sticky but I did not like the weird dip in the applicator

Liner: Very nice black, applied smoothly

Mascara: Nice black mascara, nothing ground breaking

Bronzer blush: We'll see lol

Foundation: Very first application: was way too thick, no more instruction following for me

Second application: I used the provided brush, applied much lighter, buffed out with the airbrush. It looked better but it still felt thick and even 30 minutes later my face still felt tacky. I probably will only end up using it on days when I need heavier coverage as I do not like the heavier feel.

Thanks for the review and all of the pics! Your makeup looks really beautiful. I think I like your original foundation more too. That new foundation looks like a mess to deal with and your skin is too pretty on its own to need something thick like that. I'm curious to try that primer stick to tone down the red in my cheeks.

You're so sweet. I really liked the primer although next time i think I'll warm it up on my fingers and blend it out, it dragged a little directly from the stick. The color balancing actually worked quite well though. The foundation, I'm sure there are women who will love it and if you need a FULL face for pictures and the like I'd actually probably recommend it but for me, for everyday wear it was a bust. Since I liked most of the other products I will not be returning it but I will not be repurchasing the foundation.

Thank you so much for the review and photos! You have beautiful skin and I don't think you even need foundation! My skin is a mess. I just started, two days ago, using a Clarisonic. I hope it helps soon. The lip gloss is a great color for you.

Great review & very helpful. I love the lip gloss color on you, it looks great!

I can tell from your photos and review:

1. Love the packaging!

2. I like the Lipsurgence Matte crayons so much!  Don't know if I need/want another gloss.

3. Primer stick looks awesome.  I need it.

4. Bronzer/blush is gorgeous...but, do I really need another bronzer just because it's pretty?

5. The liquid foundation does not look like it's for me.

So, overall I must restrain myself from getting this set.  If the primer stick or maybe the bronzer/blush are available somewhere separately I may get them.

Thanks for your help @tweakabell 

I love how well you did this review... thank you SO much! I've never tried "Tarte" before but was very close to purchasing some this holiday season for me, including the collection which you did this review about........ I thought that it look very nice on you but you're lucky because you're also pretty without makeup!  I was reminded that it seems like everyone is using a brush to apply their foundation and for the life of me, I just can't seem to get into the habit of it. 

Quote: Originally Posted by luckyme502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you so much for the review and photos! You have beautiful skin and I don't think you even need foundation! My skin is a mess. I just started, two days ago, using a Clarisonic. I hope it helps soon.

The lip gloss is a great color for you.

I love my Clarisonic, I have an original Mia., I need to find my charger so I can get back to using it. Thankfully I don't need it as badly as when I was a teenager/early 20s but I do like to have an even canvas so I use it to tone down the red in my cheeks in chin. You'll see there's quite a difference in tone between the fresh face and after primer. That primer might be a game changer for me though. My face ended up fairly nice just after that.

Quote: Originally Posted by LuckyMoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Great review & very helpful. I love the lip gloss color on you, it looks great!

I can tell from your photos and review:

1. Love the packaging!

2. I like the Lipsurgence Matte crayons so much!  Don't know if I need/want another gloss.

3. Primer stick looks awesome.  I need it.

4. Bronzer/blush is gorgeous...but, do I really need another bronzer just because it's pretty?

5. The liquid foundation does not look like it's for me.

So, overall I must restrain myself from getting this set.  If the primer stick or maybe the bronzer/blush are available somewhere separately I may get them.

Thanks for your help @tweakabell 

The packaging is soo pretty! I love their crayons too, I've bought so many lip products this year though I definitely don't need more gloss. The primer was my favorite thing about the set, I really liked it.

Quote: Originally Posted by geeko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Thanks for the review! the packaging looks pretty <3
OMG I saw your pics in eyeshadow mania last night I was drooling! So much pretty!

Quote: Originally Posted by beach16sm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I love how well you did this review... thank you SO much! I've never tried "Tarte" before but was very close to purchasing some this holiday season for me, including the collection which you did this review about........ I thought that it look very nice on you but you're lucky because you're also pretty without makeup!  I was reminded that it seems like everyone is using a brush to apply their foundation and for the life of me, I just can't seem to get into the habit of it. 
I love a lot of Tarte products. This set was not their best foot forward honestly, I'm quite glad this isn't what introduced you to them
rolleyes.gif
. I used to use my fingers for foundation. I've had luck with knock-off beauty blenders as well, but that airbrush brush is magic I swear. It leaves a nice even finish, I'm glad that on QVC it comes with the foundation because alone it's so expensive.

Thanks for the review. I love the primer. I have red in my skin similar to yours. I like your original foundation better too.  I didn't know about that airbrush brush.  I'm going to have to pick one up - with a foundation of course.  You look beautiful - both sides of your face.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

That's crazy to me how much more "foundation like" the cc cream looks on the skin vs the actual foundation. Who would have thought!? Thanks for the review!!

I love the new agate packaging, but ooh no... the liquid foundation would have been a nasty surprise for me.

I am very happy to have seen this.  Thanks for the excellent and thorough review.

Quote: Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's crazy to me how much more "foundation like" the cc cream looks on the skin vs the actual foundation. Who would have thought!? Thanks for the review!!

It ended up being an actual foundation, CC standing for colored clay. I was a little disappointed in that, I found it a little misleading on their part.

Quote: Originally Posted by KarenBox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I love the new agate packaging, but ooh no... the liquid foundation would have been a nasty surprise for me.

I am very happy to have seen this.  Thanks for the excellent and thorough review.
It was not a happy surprise for me either lol.

Thank you so much for this review and preview! Can anyone pre order this? I love Tarte and I definitely want this TSV! 

How much did it cost, on pre order? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweakabell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So when QVC gave the option of pre-ordering  a Tarte TSV, I, loving Tarte and being in the mood to spend money, picked it up. It contained a Colored Clay CC primer and Amazonian Colored Clay liquid foundation in your choice of shade. I chose the Light shade as that is what I wear in their Amazonian clay full coverage foundation. It also came with an angled brush to apply the foundation, a LipSurgence lip gloss in True Love, a Lights Camera Lashes mascara, an Amazonian Colored Clay bronzer blush in Pink Bronze, and an Amazonian Colored Clay eyeliner in Black. It also came with a pink makeup bag.

The included pamphlet

First looks: Very pretty packaging, it reminds me of agate. I also realized that it was not a LipSurgence crayon it was truly a gloss, Neat!

Lip Gloss wand (has weird divot in it, I wasn't too thrilled with that) Very pretty color though.

Bronzer Blush

Primer stick: Reminds me of a panstick I had many years ago. It has   

green and lavender stripes for color balancing.

Angled Application Brush: Soft and dense, very nice.

Now for the true test. It's easy to look pretty in packaging.

Fresh Faced.

Hello MUT ladies
wave.gif

This will be a side by side comparison between my normal Tarte foundation and the new product

Since it was a new product I followed their instructions ( I will regret that)

First I applied the primer per their instructions. Directly on the skin in circular motions starting in the center an blending out. Both sides for a fair test.

Ok simple enough. It actually worked well and balanced the red in my cheeks. Off to a good start!

So this is my normal set up:

Tarte full coverage foundation and their airbrush foundation brush. It's extremely easy to use, even I can't screw it up. I apply it directly to my face. One stripe on each cheekbone, one down my forehead, and one down my chin. Buff out and spot apply on trouble spots. Side by side means only half a face so for your entertainment pleasure:

OOOOH, pretty lol

And buff out:

My normal foundation                                                    Primer only

So let's open the new foundation:

Oh it's liquid liquid foundation,
unsure.gif
ok. The foundation needs to be shaken and there is a mesh sifter in the middle to tap your brush against to collect product. I used the provided angled brush not the airbrush brush pictured. So their instructions say to press the brush into the sifter then buff and blend onto skin in outward, even strokes.

First attempt did not go so well:

Normal Foundation                                          New Foundation

It feels like I have makeup on. Not a feel I like much. It feels slightly greasy and seems to age my face slightly. It also seems to have a slightly more yellow tint than my normal shade. Hmmm
plain.gif
Oh well let's put on some finishing touches. Mascara, Liner, blush, and gloss.

I'm wearing all the included colors except for the bronzer blush. I am wearing an Ulta blush. I tried to follow their instructions for the bronzer blush, which was dust along cheek bones, down the center of the nose, and across your forehead. I'm not sure who decided on those instructions but I ended up with a giant pink stripe on my forehead. I will post a lot of embarrassing pictures but me looking like an idiot with a giant pink swipe across my forehead because I trusted the instructions is not one of them. I'll try it again later.

This was not a wear test, it was just an application trial so all thoughts are based on application not longevity.

So in summary:

Primer: Good, a little thick but evened skin tone nicely

Gloss: Very pretty, good color, not too sticky but I did not like the weird dip in the applicator

Liner: Very nice black, applied smoothly

Mascara: Nice black mascara, nothing ground breaking

Bronzer blush: We'll see lol

Foundation: Very first application: was way too thick, no more instruction following for me

Second application: I used the provided brush, applied much lighter, buffed out with the airbrush. It looked better but it still felt thick and even 30 minutes later my face still felt tacky. I probably will only end up using it on days when I need heavier coverage as I do not like the heavier feel.

Anyone can order is my understanding in the enabler thread I posted the item number, i'll try and post it later when I'm on a comp. It was $59.96 I think. It came out to $17 on easy pay with tax.

Quote: Originally Posted by tweakabell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyone can order is my understanding in the enabler thread I posted the item number, i'll try and post it later when I'm on a comp. It was $59.96 I think. It came out to $17 on easy pay with tax.

I found it thanks!

This was listed under a vid on youtube

One time shipment:Now: A254260 | February 4: A239922 | s/h $6.974 EZ Payments of $14.99 +S/horder now — Easy Pay may not be availablewhen they appear on air.AUTO-DELIVERYNow: A254679 | February 4: A253235 | s/h $6.97Receive kit now, thenreceive a new collection with different seasonal shades in August 2014and February 2015 for a total of three shipments at the Today's SpecialValue price of $59.96 plus s/h (Easy Pay—4 payments of $14.99 pluss/h). No obligation to remain in the plan. You may cancel or delay at anytime. 

Now I am torn ... not sure if I should haha.. Is the liner waterproof? or the mascara? 

Im glad you found it! I don't think either are waterproof. If you're not sure you can always wait until the real TSV. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think you look beautiful!  I'll the only naysayer in the bunch and say that I do like the match of new foundation on you.  It IS very heavy looking, so I can understand that you're not crazy about it from that angle.  But I think the shade is a very nice match for your skintone (and so is your other one, too, so you could really work with either!).

Not that I need ANY more stuff, but what color is that lipgloss called?  I love that, I may have to track it down, LOL!  I don't like a lot of Tarte's glosses, but that's beautiful, and it's a great color on you.  

My biggest issue was the heavier greasy feel. The color ended up being fairly true to the brand once it wasn't applied as heavily, unfortunately the sticky makeup feel didn't go away. I do think it will be my special occasion "full face" foundation though, because the coverage was very nice for something like family pictures. The gloss is True Love.

Back