Color of the Year (Radiant Orchid) Ideas for 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey y'all! 
hand.gif

So, I decided for 2014 I want to be bolder with my makeup. And with Pantone's new color of the year being orchid, I really want to use all the available new makeup as an excuse to go bold and play! 

So I was wondering if you ladies (and/or makeup-savvy gentlemen) had any products to suggest. I'm mainly looking for great lip AND blush colors, because I already have an overabundance of purple/violet/lilac eyeshadows and liners. 
smile.gif

How will you all be wearing "radiant orchid" in 2014? 

I'm not usually a huge fuchsia/pink person, but I must say I'm in love with this year's color and the name (radiant orchid
redface.gif
)!

I usually find some good inspiration on how to wear a type of clothing item or color at polyvore, here are a few cute sets centered around the new color of the year!

http://www.polyvore.com/beauty_routine_2014_radiant_orchid/set?id=108808057

http://www.polyvore.com/pantone_color_year_2014/set?id=107697951

Who knows, I might even be inspired to try a bold orchid lip color this year!

Ok, I made my own 'radiant orchid' set on polyvore and wanted to share- this represents different ways in which I might incorporate the color into my style (mainly accessory pieces that are wearable as I'm not very bold in my style!)

To see what each item is, you can view it on my polyvore site: http://www.polyvore.com/radiant_orchid_pantone_2014_ways/set?id=110119740

I did a pretty subtle eye look for Radiant Orchid. I mostly stick with neutrals and it's also my goal this year to be more adventurous. I think Radiant Orchid is a great 'transition' color. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@softly that looks really pretty! What did you use?

I forgot that I saw this, which would be perfect for what you're asking.... I'm really tempted to get the lollitint, but I'm hoping for a deluxe size first.

I ordered the orchid like color from OCC cosmetics that you can wear as a lipstick, blush or eyeshadow, the color was Miriam. I haven't received it yet, but maybe today when I get to the office. it looks lovely.

Hey everyone reading, can you explain what you view 'orchid' to be?

Like... haha, post a picture or something?

Because I'm seeing lots of different hues being touted as 'orchid'. The thing is, even Pantone is doing it, which is what is totally confusing- they are supposed to be all about getting the exact color for designing and decorating, yet on their own website they are showing two completely different hues for their radiant orchid.

For example:

This is a more muted lilac.

If you click on 'shop radiant orchid' from their website you get this color- it's the same number, but it's totally fuchsia.

Then, in their own place to shop the color formula and standards, you get the fuchsia color chips on the background that is more similar to the color in #1, above.

What gives?

Personally, I like the more lilac color- I think if it being more of what 'orchid' is described as in color, especially makeup.

Then, wikipedia describes different orchid hues here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchid_%28color%29

And I realized colors are all just so complicated as there are many different hues and undertones, as well as maybe people see colors slightly differently.

And what is 'orchid' to you guys?

Quote:  

And what is 'orchid' to you guys?

orchid to me is exactly the pantone swatch, and maybe even a little darker/deeper.

@myzeri I like your idea of the color, that's similar to mine too.

Sorry guys, my last post in this thread (apparently I'm way more obsessed with orchid than I ever dreamed) is this from Sephora's pinterest board- they have a section dedicated to the new color of the year and different makeup items that embody the color: http://www.pinterest.com/sephora/radiant-orchid-2014-color-of-the-year/

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I've always seen it as a purpley-pinky-dusty-bright color, if that makes sense.

And now I know what I'm doing while I should be working.

I may go swatch the hervana blush from benefit and see if it like it....and maybe check out the lollitint...butt I might just wear the color on my lids more than anthing... maybe dye my hair lol

Hhm id do a subtle purplely smokey eye. Or do a natural face with a pop of fuschia lipstick? Idk that just popped into my head.......

I will be sporting the Radiant Orchid for sure.  I have a nail polish that is this color and I love it.  And I will be wearing it on my eyes as well. I have an ELF eyeshadow palate that has an orchid color in it that I love.  Looks great on my eyes and I have gotten compliments on it so far.

NYX has a few lip colors in fuchsia-approaching-orchid... I bought a lip pencil that's more muted and a lipstick that's pretty saturated, and they're both really pretty.

Latest posts

Back