What was your first TRUE beauty discovery?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We all love make up for our own reasons. 
Whether it's because it hides those dark circles, that mole you've always hated or gives you the lips of Angelina when really you have the lips of...someone not quite as worldly. 
I've been wearing make up for years, but it's never been a fascination. I put it on when I remembered, didn't care if I forgot. It was never essential and it never made me think, wow. That was worth my money. 
Until today. 
I discovered the magic of eyebrows. God, that sounds so silly. But today, purely by accident (and youtube), I discovered that with the right brushes, pencils and highlighter, you can change your entire face, simply by colouring in those two bits of hair above the eyes. 
Some of you may laugh and roll your eyes and wonder how I didn't know this - some of you may wonder what exactly the fascination is - and maybe I'm naive, but I am bowled over!

So tell me ladies, and gentlemen, what was your first TRUE beauty discovery? 

Maybe I'll learn more today that I knew yesterday! 

BLUSH/BRONZER

I’m in my late 30’s and I would say only in the past 2 years have I really worn blush - past year on a regular almost daily basis.   I’ve always had, *and still have* acne - my face scars very easily as well - so I always felt that adding color would just make my marks stand out, and just make my face look more blemished than without it.   But it really does wonders to add contour and freshen up your complexion. Coupled with really good foundation/concealer - this has really changed my makeup game.   For decades I owned zero of these items - and my first mac blushes I bought lasted me 10 years to finally get through  - because I never really used the stuff.   Now my blush collection is really ridiculous, and my bronzer’s not as bad, but still way too much.

I didn't even know contouring existed until KimK posted those "legendary" pictures of herself, and even then I just figured it was Kardashian wizardry. 

What wonders some powder can do, eh? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Quote: Originally Posted by Blue Furfie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I didn't even know contouring existed until KimK posted those "legendary" pictures of herself, and even then I just figured it was Kardashian wizardry. 

What wonders some powder can do, eh? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
Yes def! lol

Oh and also fake lashes- 

I don't wear these often, but they really make your eyes POP and add some serious drama.

I just put a pair on today to go grocery shopping - I was having a 'diva' moment LOL

First was black eyeliner. I think I finally learned to apply it, and it looked so stunning. I just couldn't even figure out why I didn't like it before.

Next was blush. I always thought it was silly to add blush, but I've fallen so hard for blushes recently.

Pretty sure my next one will be brows, but as of right now, they are a struggle. So shapeless and weird...

Concealer and foundation!  I was 15, and was going to the mall, where I knew my crush would be hanging out.  I got desperate and dug through my mom's makeup bag in our bathroom before I ran out the door. And what was this skin colored stick in her bag that looked like it could cover my blotchy skin?  Stick concealer!  Luckily, I have the same skin tone as my mom, and I immediately started  covering up under eye circles and my blotchy red nose and pink eyelids.  I immediately looked better!  I grabbed one of her dusty rose lipsticks, ran a quick swipe of it over my lips, and scooted out the door.  I was a convert from that moment on!

I used to always be afraid to curl my lashes until I gave it a shot recently and WOW it really does make a difference! Now I feel like I haven't done my make up right without it.  The same actually goes for eye and face primer a few years ago. I had no idea what a difference those products would make! (If you haven't yet, definitely try Lemon Aid from Benefit.  Makes a huge difference after a long night!)

I'm glad I'm not the only one discovering amazing make up techniques/products years after first using them! 
I've also discovered the art of brushes - I've only ever used ONE make up brush...my hand! (and those rubbish foam ones that you get in eye shadow) - and I've just ordered my 32 piece set that will arrive tomorrow and can't wait! 

Also - has anyone taken a look at the Mac Prep and Prime Highlighter or tried it? It looks amazeballs!

In my teens my go-to was concealer.

In fact, all the way into my college years I thought that's all I needed.

Then I tried (1) filling in my brows and (2) mascara! Oh  my lord! I realized  I look far better with those done and no face makeup (even with redness and pores) than without those and tons of concealer.

And (3) mineral powder foundation. I tried Aloette Ultra Finish Foundation in SPF 15 with their chisel brush and OMG it IS AMAZING! I love it- you don't need concealer or primer for this. You don't need to touch up. It is the BOMB! I'll repurchase until the end of time! And it doesn't look nor feel like you're wearing makeup. I want to try Bare Minerals but I'm afraid it won't live up to this, plus it's more expensive!

In my teens when I read some 17 or Teen article about putting lighter shade on inner corner of eye and darker shade in the deep v. I thought this was some amazing secret and showed my friends. They were all like..."yeah duh."

I seriously, started wearing makeup 2 1/2  years ago. I had never been a fan of blush. I thought it looked silly but I decided to try it. I bought two blushes from NARS, Taj Mahal and Lovejoy. I learned to like Taj Mahal but fell in LOVE with Lovejoy. The way the light hit my cheeks just looks wonderful. After 2 1/2 years, Lovejoy is still my favorite blush but set the course for my love of blushes.

Quote: Originally Posted by roxymama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In my teens when I read some 17 or Teen article about putting lighter shade on inner corner of eye and darker shade in the deep v. I thought this was some amazing secret and showed my friends. They were all like..."yeah duh."
Ha Ha! It's funny when your amazed by something and your friends/family are like "Okay" or "yeah, we knew this"

For some reason I was obsessed with olive green eye shadow when I was about 14. I wouldn't wear any other makeup, but i'd swipe it on my lids with my finger and think it looked so good. No mascara, no eyeliner, just a full lid of vibrant olive green eye shadow.

Thank god I've learned a little since then... haha. I still like to wear olive green eye shadow once in a while, done properly!

My first true discovery was when I was 14 and discovered what a difference mascara makes. Next, in the last 5 years the right way to use liquid eyeliner and make a winged line. Another big discovery in the last two years: lip stick that looks great on my like red and fuchsia. I never thought that would look good. Finding the set of Bite lippies was amazing. And last: what a difference the right shade of blush makes and how many looks you can try with different shades. So glad I am not the only one that got more interested in makeup just in the recent years.

I would have to say my very first beauty discovery was mascara. I have very big, deep-set eyes, and mascara just made them stand-out like WOW!! After that I learned about eyeliners of all kinds and fell in love with the thick liner and mascara look; that was all I wore for years until I discovered high-quality foundation that didn't make me break out in massive, painful acne when I used it. Next came concealer, which I instantly loved, no doubt about it. Then finally I discovered the magic of eyeshadow when a makeup artist "friend-at-the-time" showed me how to properly apply it. I was hooked on shadow after that and have tons of it now in all different shades! The last thing I discovered recently, bright pink and fuchsia lipstick looks REALLY good on me! The blue tones especially! I love MAC's "Saint Germain" and WnW's "Dollhouse Pink" the best, but the Maybelline "Vivids" in "Vivid Rose", "Pink Pop", and "Fuchsia Flash" are not far behind!

Latest posts

Back