Foundation Oxidizing

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!  I didn't see much on this topic, so I thought I would start a new thread on it.  I have been having issues lately (okay, not just lately...) with foundation oxidizing and turning darker on my face.  Bare Minerals has always done it on me (both the regular and the matte) as well as other powder foundations such as Pur Minerals and Palladio, and lately I've noticed that Revlon Colorstay for combo/oily skin is doing it too.  Is there a way to prevent this or do I have to just keep trying new foundations until I find one that doesn't oxidize?  They always end up turning a darker, orangier color with an obvious makeup line along my jaw/neck - which is one of my very biggest pet peeves.  Thanks much for any advice!

Do you set your foundation with a powder?  I've been having this issue with a Clinique TM lately and when I started powdering, it got much better.

I do...I either use a powder foundation or set my liquid foundation with a translucent powder. I've been reading that primers help, but I have yet to find a primer that doesn't break me out and make my oily skin worse, and I have tried a lot and all of then were high end. Sigh.

In truth, most cosmetics will oxidize to another colour. The change could be slightly noticeable or very noticeable. And it probably varies from person to person based on skintypes and chemicals. Since you seem to have issues with them going darker consistently, why not try a foundation lighter than your actual skintone? Or swatch a tester on your hand and watch the swatch throughout the day - at least this way you don't have to continually purchase and can just wait until you find one that is acceptable.

I may try that, especially with the powder foundations. Those actually seems to oxidize the most on me, but are the most friendly in terms of formula for my skin type. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back