Sign in to follow this  
jaylilee

January 2014 - No/Low-Buy Thread

YAY! Today I did really well! I was tempted by Sephora because it's my birthday month, and I wanted to get the gift, but all the things I was going to buy were sold out. :( I also saw they have this other gift thingy, that I wanted to get, but to get both of those, I'd have to basically buy things I don't need. So, I closed my cart and I'm just going to see if I can wait until what I want is back in stock, or I'll head to the Sephora in JCPenny store to pick up my free b-day gift.

So no purchases!

Plus, I am selling a few things on Ebay to offset some of my crazy spending lately. I feel good!

I already flopped! :( I went to Sephora to give in and pick up Naked 3 after searching on the store locator to make sure my local Sephora had it in stock. When I got there, of course, it was all sold out. Even the display had been taken down temporarily. One would think that I would be thanking the heavens and seeing it as a sign that I need to put that cash back in my wallet and leave but no. I was so upset that I made the extra trip after work, especially with a snow storm imminent, that I rage!bought two lipsticks I did not need just because I was so annoyed to be leaving empty-handed. 

Moral of the story is: Sephora's store locator function sucks, and I feel like crap. The small consolation is the lipsticks I purchased are probably two of the most flattering summery shades I now own in my stash lol. I will likely live in them come May. 

Hopefully this was a minor fall of the bandwagon :(

I haven't brought makeup or skincare in two days! I haven't been tempted by anything. I want Naked 3. Last year, I went to Ulta and swatched it, now I need want it. I told myself that if I am successful at my low buy through March, I will buy it as a graduation present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmane View Post

I already flopped! :( I went to Sephora to give in and pick up Naked 3 after searching on the store locator to make sure my local Sephora had it in stock. When I got there, of course, it was all sold out. Even the display had been taken down temporarily. One would think that I would be thanking the heavens and seeing it as a sign that I need to put that cash back in my wallet and leave but no. I was so upset that I made the extra trip after work, especially with a snow storm imminent, that I rage!bought two lipsticks I did not need just because I was so annoyed to be leaving empty-handed. 

Moral of the story is: Sephora's store locator function sucks, and I feel like crap. The small consolation is the lipsticks I purchased are probably two of the most flattering summery shades I now own in my stash lol. I will likely live in them come May. 

It's okay. Just get back up and try again :) There's still 29 days left and tomorrow's a fresh start :)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioness90 View Post

It's okay. Just get back up and try again :)There's still 29 days left and tomorrow's a fresh start :)

This!  What I try to do when I try to do something for an extended period of time and fail almost immediately:  Figure out how long I lasted the first time, double it, and make that the amount of time I need to make it this time.  So you made it a day and a half the first time.  Now you just need to make it three days on your plan.  Then, hey, you're on a roll, so you might as well double that and go for six days next.  And, hey, that's almost a week, so let's just round it up to a solid seven days.  And, wow, made it through one week!  Let's see if we can double that.  No one can go from no exercise whatsoever to running a marathon without training, after all, and we're trying to build up our marathon-level spending resistance muscles.  It takes time.  

And a stringent low/no-buy is almost destined to fail if you just jump right into it in part because you haven't built up those spending resistance muscles -- but also in part because when you inevitably have a setback like this, you will just slump in defeat and give up on your plan.  Just sigh, shake your head, dust yourself off (literally or figuratively, whichever makes you feel like you're brushing this setback away), *call ahead* next time to make sure they have it and will hold onto it for you (added bonus:  If they will, you can go directly to the cashier, get your stuff, and leave without getting distracted by the lip tars/eyeliners/nail polish/etc.  It's one of the reasons I like to order stuff instead of buying in-store), and start building up those SRMs *now*.  

• Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

No one can go from no exercise whatsoever to running a marathon without training, after all, and we're trying to build up our marathon-level spending resistance muscles.  It takes time.  

And a stringent low/no-buy is almost destined to fail if you just jump right into it in part because you haven't built up those spending resistance muscles -- but also in part because when you inevitably have a setback like this, you will just slump in defeat and give up on your plan.

Quoted for truth!!!

Many psychological studies show that willpower/self-control acts like a muscle in that it can both be strengthened and worn out. If you are just starting out (just like if you were training for a marathon after not exercising at all) it can be very tiring and you will inevitably slump a bit because when you tap that energy, it's out for a little while.

That's not to say don't try- because the more little steps you gain, the stronger your willpower gets!

There's a book out called Willpower that discusses this, and here's a quote from the author being interviewed:

"Willpower is, Baumeister argues over lunch, "what separates us from the animals. It's the capacity to restrain our impulses, resist temptation – do what's right and good for us in the long run, not what we want to do right now. It's central, in fact, to civilisation.""

I think that's an interesting little analysis.

Here is another helpful and insightful quote regarding self-control:

"In the short term, self-control is a limited resource. But over the long term, it can act more like a muscle. So when it comes to willpower, if practice doesn't make perfect, then at least it makes progress. Tierney says people who exercise their willpower frequently often have better self-control"

I just added this book to my list of books to read in 2014.

And it really gives me hope knowing this. It should give us all hope. Because here's why:

1. Knowing that if you make a small misstep and fail, it's not because you're a terrible person who lacks discipline. You just need to work at it. Keep going.

2. You know that you WILL get better at it, just by the act of making small resistance. In fact, a study showed that a group of people who were told to practice good posture for a week did better at decision-making the following week! That's astonishing!!! So literally, you can sit there staring at a piece of cake, not eat it, and then you will possibly be better at resisting an impulse purchase later! TOTES amazing!!!

Also, don't forget, ladies, about the power of the returns. If you slip up and buy something and you really feel you shouldn't have done it, don't use it for a while, and strongly consider returning it. You may feel much better if you do, and it might even increase your willpower for later.

Happy 3rd day of the year, everyone! BE STRONG! inc.gif

• Like 3

Quote:

This!  What I try to do when I try to do something for an extended period of time and fail almost immediately:  Figure out how long I lasted the first time, double it, and make that the amount of time I need to make it this time.  So you made it a day and a half the first time.  Now you just need to make it three days on your plan.  Then, hey, you're on a roll, so you might as well double that and go for six days next.  And, hey, that's almost a week, so let's just round it up to a solid seven days.  And, wow, made it through one week!  Let's see if we can double that.  No one can go from no exercise whatsoever to running a marathon without training, after all, and we're trying to build up our marathon-level spending resistance muscles.  It takes time.  

And a stringent low/no-buy is almost destined to fail if you just jump right into it in part because you haven't built up those spending resistance muscles -- but also in part because when you inevitably have a setback like this, you will just slump in defeat and give up on your plan.  Just sigh, shake your head, dust yourself off (literally or figuratively, whichever makes you feel like you're brushing this setback away), *call ahead* next time to make sure they have it and will hold onto it for you (added bonus:  If they will, you can go directly to the cashier, get your stuff, and leave without getting distracted by the lip tars/eyeliners/nail polish/etc.  It's one of the reasons I like to order stuff instead of buying in-store), and start building up those SRMs *now*.  

Thanks Meaganola. This was really kind :) I am beating myself up for this because last July I was able to complete a no-buy for that month with absolutely no setbacks so this makes me feel like I'm never going to stop spending if I can't replicate that. Not sure why it was a breeze in July but so tough now. Perhaps I am really feeling the effects of little sunlight and the cold weather lol. But I'm definitely following your advice of doubling every timeframe I get through! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioness90 View Post

It's okay. Just get back up and try again :) There's still 29 days left and tomorrow's a fresh start :)

Thanks lioness90 :)

I have to confess that I keep thinking, "It's Friday! It's non-rent check payday! I can go out to Bed Bath & Beyond and get those holiday Maybelline Color Tattoos I wanted!" But... Aside from the no-buy thing, I ALREADY BOUGHT THEM. I actually have two Nude Pinks because I was going to give one as a present (I ended up not giving it, so now I have an extra). I think I just want to not be in my apartment all day tomorrow. Between my cold and hatred of holiday shopping crowds, I've been staying home a lot more than usual. Maybe I'll go see movies this weekend. I canceled my MoviePass, but I was told that it will still work this weekend, so I might as well use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastofthesun View Post

Quoted for truth!!!

Many psychological studies show that willpower/self-control acts like a muscle in that it can both be strengthened and worn out. If you are just starting out (just like if you were training for a marathon after not exercising at all) it can be very tiring and you will inevitably slump a bit because when you tap that energy, it's out for a little while.

That's not to say don't try- because the more little steps you gain, the stronger your willpower gets!

There's a book out called Willpower that discusses this, and here's a quote from the author being interviewed:

"Willpower is, Baumeister argues over lunch, "what separates us from the animals. It's the capacity to restrain our impulses, resist temptation – do what's right and good for us in the long run, not what we want to do right now. It's central, in fact, to civilisation.""

I think that's an interesting little analysis.

Here is another helpful and insightful quote regarding self-control:

"In the short term, self-control is a limited resource. But over the long term, it can act more like a muscle. So when it comes to willpower, if practice doesn't make perfect, then at least it makes progress. Tierney says people who exercise their willpower frequently often have better self-control"

I just added this book to my list of books to read in 2014.

And it really gives me hope knowing this. It should give us all hope. Because here's why:

1. Knowing that if you make a small misstep and fail, it's not because you're a terrible person who lacks discipline. You just need to work at it. Keep going.

2. You know that you WILL get better at it, just by the act of making small resistance. In fact, a study showed that a group of people who were told to practice good posture for a week did better at decision-making the following week! That's astonishing!!! So literally, you can sit there staring at a piece of cake, not eat it, and then you will possibly be better at resisting an impulse purchase later! TOTES amazing!!!

Also, don't forget, ladies, about the power of the returns. If you slip up and buy something and you really feel you shouldn't have done it, don't use it for a while, and strongly consider returning it. You may feel much better if you do, and it might even increase your willpower for later.

Happy 3rd day of the year, everyone! BE STRONG! inc.gif

Thank you so much for this post. Seriously, thank you. Wow, I'm adding this book to my queue at the library too. I really, really think that if I can break through this then my quality of life will increase tremendously. Thanks again for the book rec!

I almost made a purchase but I talked myself out of it.  It's only the beginning of January but my low-buy is going strong. Whew.  Hopefully I can say the same thing tomorrow!!  There are some awesome words of encouragement in this thread and that really helps a lot.   

Quote:

Thanks Meaganola. This was really kind :) I am beating myself up for this because last July I was able to complete a no-buy for that month with absolutely no setbacks so this makes me feel like I'm never going to stop spending if I can't replicate that. Not sure why it was a breeze in July but so tough now. Perhaps I am really feeling the effects of little sunlight and the cold weather lol. But I'm definitely following your advice of doubling every timeframe I get through! 

Thanks lioness90 :)

I think "after the holidays" emotional  blahness can also be a factor.  Try to build in other pleasurable activities to get that dopamine boost buying something gives you.  If it's a healthy activity, it will contribute to the will power aspect that eastofthesun was talking about.

I haven't been tempted to buy anything, perhaps because I'm focusing on the other behavioral changes I want to make.  My first victory today was doing yoga for 30 minutes this morning.  I want to get back into the habit of doing yoga/pilates 3-4 times a week, as it centers me and helps my twingy back out tremendously.  My second was rigging a standing desk at work, so that I won't be sitting for hours on end.  It's primitive but works :).

• Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 View Post

I think "after the holidays" emotional  blahness can also be a factor.  Try to build in other pleasurable activities to get that dopamine boost buying something gives you.  If it's a healthy activity, it will contribute to the will power aspect that eastofthesun was talking about.

I haven't been tempted to buy anything, perhaps because I'm focusing on the other behavioral changes I want to make.  My first victory today was doing yoga for 30 minutes this morning.  I want to get back into the habit of doing yoga/pilates 3-4 times a week, as it centers me and helps my twingy back out tremendously.  My second was rigging a standing desk at work, so that I won't be sitting for hours on end.  It's primitive but works :).

Oooh awesome! I want to do a standing desk too! I'm not sure if I can because I got this new monitor which is kind of huge. :( But maybe I can angle it up and just elevate my mouse.

I like the way you think! It's like you are on the wavelength I want to attain! Hehehe. I'm going to have to check out your blog!

Ok, to everyone else, great job! Keep strong! Keep resisting that temptation! It's kind of weird, but when I read about how you guys are still keeping your low buy/no buy going, it makes me feel like I can do it too!

I did so well tonight! Had to go to sephora and exchange some perfume I got for Xmas and I didn't buy anything else!!! I just kept telling myself "do I really NEED anything else?" And I didn't! Yay!

I stopped by Sephora today to swatch some items I've been eyeing for a while and I didn't buy anything, but I did love most of what I swatched so I'll probably buy them when the next big sale at sephora happens

I went into ulta with a friend and looked around while she was getting some hair products, and didn't buy a SINGLE THING! Actually swatched the lorac pro palette and am glad I didn't buy it because I literally own like...all colors but a single one, which is actually just a dupe for mac quarry. 

I went to Fred Meyer and DIDN'T BUY ANY MAKEUP!  I did buy a bead box to store loose pigment jars, but I have maxed out the boxes I already had and currently have a bunch of the jars just kind of floating around, so this has been on my shopping list for a while.  I would just get too cranky to go to the sewing section and get one, so it's stayed on the list.  Everything else was groceries, although I realized I was so hungry (like blood sugar so low I was starting to shake) that I needed to just stop shopping, grab something for dinner, and get home.  So I did.  I'll do real grocery shopping tomorrow.  But first, I need to *plan* what I'm going to do for meals next week.  Planning ahead!  What a concept!

i was SOO CLOSE to caving. HSN sent me a $10 off coupon and I *almost* bought a Too Faced lippie for $11 and free shipping...but I didn't! It wouldn't let me because I guess it was part of some sort of "This Day Only" offer or whatever (idk what that means. i've only bought one thing from HSN) I guess I'm in the clear for the next 24 hours... I probably won't end up buying it.

YAY EVERYONE IN GENERAL, I am so proud of how well everyone seems to be doing!!! My low buy is also going well, though I did already eat out once in the new year... only 9 more times to go this month and I'm not even back at work yet where the big eating out temptation is, but oh well. Other than that, I have only spent money on some groceries and on a train ticket that I needed.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleurissante View Post

Hello, I'm joining in too. I decided to go on a 100 day no-buy, so no shopping for me until 10th April.

My main reason for no-buy is the fact that in the last couple of months I bought over 100 nail polishes and didn't even had a chance to wear half of them. I would like to have some time to enjoy the products I have, not just hoard it.

I made my last purchase on 31st December and didn't buy anything since...

Welcome and good luck! I haven't purchased any polish since Black Friday, and actually it is going much better than I thought.  Having nails secret Santa helped A LOT but I've also been able to use some of the colors and strips I  haven't tried/sed and it's been nice- even fun! I am slowly coming to the realization that maybe I really don't need any more polish for real... other than a thermal.  Eventually, I  would still love to try a thermal.  However, that day isn't today for me :cool:

Quote:

And a stringent low/no-buy is almost destined to fail if you just jump right into it in part because you haven't built up those spending resistance muscles -- but also in part because when you inevitably have a setback like this, you will just slump in defeat and give up on your plan...

This is great advice in general, and the last paragraph is generally true, in many areas of life not just spending.  Just take it one day at a time.  

One thing that sometimes helps is to take some time to think over a purchase if you can. Ideally this thinking would last a few hours at least, but if at a store, sometimes I find even a few minutes can be helpful.  Literally exit the store, and just spend 5-10 minutes walking around the block/parking lot or in another store that does not interest you at all.  No need to kill yourself meditating over the purchase during that time either- simply ask yourself at the end of the 5-10 minutes if you are sure you really want/need it.  Again, while you'd get 'better' results waiting hours or even days, sometimes even a few minutes can give perspective/the willpower to get out of there.  If online, back away from the computer or website and come back to it if you still feel you want the product later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usofjessamerica View Post

i've made it two days without buying anything! thats a start...right??

YES! Nice job!

• Like 2

Does anyone know how often Ulta does BOGO50 on Tree Hut scrubs like they have now? I don't want to break my no-buy since I still have half of a Boots scrub in the shower, and I don't want to hoard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saycrackagain View Post

Does anyone know how often Ulta does BOGO50 on Tree Hut scrubs like they have now? I don't want to break my no-buy since I still have half of a Boots scrub in the shower, and I don't want to hoard.

No idea. Can you call them and ask?? I am sure they should have some sort of schedule...

Happy New Year, All!

Shout to to January Babies, I'm one too!  And since this is my birthday month, it will be a low-buy not a no-buy.  I am allowed to buy:

Makeup remover wipes (needed for travel from Jan 6-16) --already purchased these today for $1 from Big Lots.

Makeup remover (standard full size liquid when I return from travel) as I am now completely out of any makeup remover!

Fyrrinae Pixie Epoxy since I have no way of sticking my few glitter shadows to my eyes--If I can wear them, they can't ever get used...

Maybe some perfume from my list of ones I want if I find any of those at a good price.

No idea. Can you call them and ask?? I am sure they should have some sort of schedule...
I thought of that, but when I worked at bath and body works they wouldn't even tell us associates when sales would end or what next week's sales would be because they wanted us to freak about a limited edition sale and buy stuff. So I don't think ulta will tell me either.

So I've been lemming the lorac pro palette for a couple weeks. Went into ulta, swatched it, they were out of stock. Went over to look at naked 2 (I have 1), swatched it, was holding it in my hand as if it were mine and DID NOT BUY! I said to myself "what the hell am I doing? If I really want it, it can wait for another day." VICTORY!!! But really, I think I'm starting to actually change my whole attitude about spending money on makeup. Yayyy! But the lingering lems are still there. -sigh-

• Like 2