Sign in to follow this  
jaylilee

January 2014 - No/Low-Buy Thread

im definitely resisting the urge to buy this month's Glossybox for the sole purpose of getting a Beauty Blender. I would've jumped on it but I realized if I wait for a good code on Birchbox, I can just get a duo of BeautyBlenders with points!

Also -- @meaganola thanks for the stowing-away cash tip. its definitely been helping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usofjessamerica View Post

im definitely resisting the urge to buy this month's Glossybox for the sole purpose of getting a Beauty Blender. I would've jumped on it but I realized if I wait for a good code on Birchbox, I can just get a duo of BeautyBlenders with points!

Also -- @meaganola thanks for the stowing-away cash tip. its definitely been helping!

way to go. waiting to get it with points is a better way to go about it anyway. I have mine but barely use it :( I don't know how to clean it so I am scared to get it all disgusting and then let it get gross -- that's one expensive little sponge. 

It's so awesome to read about everyone doing so well! We are at the half way point :) I went to the mall Monday to waste some time. I did so much Window shopping and did not let the Body Shop's jumbo body butter sale lure me in haha. I did go to VS and use my gift card plus the money I told myself I could spend if I wanted. But when I got to the cash, turns out there was an extra 50percent off one item I didn't know about so I saved 15, it was pretty sweet! I also went into sephora but only got a sample of the Josie Maran foundation ( super lightweight and nice!) and left. I think I want to set aside some money for the next few months to get the sephora Josie Maran foundation kit ( foundation is on my okay list) but it's pricey so I'll save up and maybe wait for Chic week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastofthesun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

I bought an eyeliner, but it was the UD Naked 3 double-ended pencil I had promised myself for my birthday (a week from tomorrow!). And I used money from selling stuff on eBay, so I didn't touch my bank account. And nothing was purchased Saturday or Sunday! One week at a time!

I love this idea! Maybe I can buy that palette I want ($36) if I can sell some things on ebay and just use my paypal acccount!

Ok, so last  night someone purchased one of my for-sale items on Ebay for $48, so I feel like it's okay to switch this months' no buy to next month and let this month be the low buy of $20. I don't want to serve as a disappointment, but because of that I went ahead and bought that $36 palette I had wanted so badly, and with it I'm getting my sephora b-day gift, 3 free samples as always, and 2 free deluxe samples of skincare oil. Even though I switched to a low buy this month and am making February my no-buy, I am not spending any extra money since I sold that kit on Ebay, so yay! I just hope this little thing didn't ruin all my willpower training. ;)

Now, no more spending for January or February and I'll be on track, baby! (Unless I sell some more stuff on Ebay, then we'll see..)

I forgot to say... the reason I can justify this purchase not only financially, but practically is that I told myself I could only purchase eyeshadow if I came up with a few go-to looks. And I did just that! I have 2 new looks which I'm going to post somewhere soon to see if anyone thinks they are any good... but that has given me reason to have more eyeshadows, I suppose. Eugh, sorry, not trying to enable!

To everyone else, keep up the good work! Y'all are awesome and strong!

So far so good! I replenished a few everyday makeup items that went bad. I came REALLY close to buying the Naked 3 and Too Faced Chocolate Bar palettes but stopped myself. I haven't brought skincare! I have four bottles of cleanser, several facial masks, and a ton of moisturizer samples to get through. Usually, I do a beginning of the semester makeup and clothing haul but I've been really good. 

I've stuck to my no buy for Jan 100% until today. I spent $5 on birchbox because I decided to not renew my annual subscription for one year and wanted to use up my points before expiration. I got dry shampoo which I use every day so I feel less bad hoarding and some chocolate to treat myself to doing so well on my resolution. I'm going to miss BB but not as much as I am excited to decrease my stash this year!

• Like 1

"I killed the lemming!!!" I got the two coupons from Ulta this week and there was a GWP this morning.  I started to look. And I stopped myself and deleted all three emails.   Yeah me!!!!
Me too, yay is!!!!

I did buy lunch today, but I'm stretching it into two lunches, and it's been almost two weeks since I bought lunch!  It might not seem like a big deal to most people, but it's a huge thing for me.  And I ducked into Walgreens on the way home from work (my bus route home is weird, so I had ten minutes to kill, and it was *cold* outside) and didn't even find anything I wanted to go back and get at a later date when I have money!  

(In semi-related news, my freezer is almost empty.  I'm very tempted to fill it right back up, but there's a *reason* I've been actively trying to empty it, so I can only keep a week's worth of stuff in there until further notice, and I need to do the same thing with the fridge.  This is actually going to help me keep grocery costs down because I won't be stocking up on things to last a few weeks/months.  I'm just going to have to plan my meals better, and *that* always helps control spending, too.  It's an all-around winning situation!  I just need to pace myself when it comes to certain bottles in the back.  I had a habit over the summer of buying hard cider bombers and then forgetting to drink them.  I must have five of them.  And then there's all the wine, both regular and sparkling.  And the holiday spiced liqueur.  I think half the stuff in my fridge is booze at this point!)

• Like 1

just checking in! I haven't replied to all the lovely messages that were sent and I'm definitely going to, but it looks like I'm going to China after all. I have to deal with more family bs before I leave and during last minute tickets is going to be expensive, plus gas + hotel to see my mom because stupid reasons and ugh. I'm really not looking forward to this. I'm being jerked around emotionally by a lot of forces and I'm really mad for letting it happen it me because I could've been in China more than two weeks ago already and now I have to figure out if I can get my start date pushed back even more so because of poor planning and all this additional bullshit, this last minute trip is going to cost me at least $2000. I do have money saved up but it's also like, as someone who has $18k left in student loans, that's not chump change. However, I realized that I might never see my grandpa again if I don't go now especially since I realised I haven't been back in four years now and what is money for If not spending it on what you really care about. even of I can only see him for a week, I'd rather have spent that money to make sure I don't have any regrets. life's too short to nickle and dime on the really important things. so I encourage all you ladies here to take stock of what's important to you and what you want to put the money you're saving towards. i "slipped up" a little today because I ended up picking up mope opis but they were from a collection I've been slowly gathering anyway. don't feel bad if you end up buying make up! if it makes you happy then it does, but just try to take stock of what else makes you happy in life

• Like 1

also some other random notes, I've been feeling down and trying to find other things to do to life my spirits, which has now amounted to cleaning and organizing. unfuckyourhabitat.tumblr.com has been a really good resource for that, esp since I can only exist in a state of either neurotically clean or utter chaos. I also found a giant bag of change in the car my dad gave me, that used to be his (he as horrible about cleaning too... when I cleaned out the car I found a bank card that expired in 2003 from a now defunct bank.... we've only had the car since 2007!) I finally got around to getting change sleeves from the bank and there's like more than $80 in change there! he nickle and dimes so bad and yet he hates change so this is the result. sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

also some other random notes, I've been feeling down and trying to find other things to do to life my spirits, which has now amounted to cleaning and organizing. unfuckyourhabitat.tumblr.com has been a really good resource for that, esp since I can only exist in a state of either neurotically clean or utter chaos.

I also found a giant bag of change in the car my dad gave me, that used to be his (he as horrible about cleaning too... when I cleaned out the car I found a bank card that expired in 2003 from a now defunct bank.... we've only had the car since 2007!) I finally got around to getting change sleeves from the bank and there's like more than $80 in change there! he nickle and dimes so bad and yet he hates change so this is the result. sigh.

Put that $80 towards your trip!  I'm so sorry your family is putting you through so much right now, but I totally applaud your decision to go see your Grandpa.  I lost my grandpa (dad's dad) in September and just lost my grandma (mom's mom) this past Saturday, so I'm really starting to see how short time is here on Earth.  I hope that in spite of the expense and the craziness you're being put through, that you're able to enjoy your visit with your grandpa.

Big hugs!:hug:

I was just trying to arrange a couple of swaps, and it hit me:  I'm actually at the point where I'm so overwhelmed by all of the stuff I currently have that I can't bring myself to pick out more stuff to get, even if I'm getting it for the price of postage.  I think that must be the reason I'm even having problems ordering stuff from Birchbox using points:  I just have too much stuff in my life.  I've got a feeling the next couple of months are going to be a purging time for *everything*, not just a low-buy for makeup. 

And speaking of Birchbox, yay, I did my feedback on my secondary account, sent a gift card to my primary account, and canceled the subscription despite the fact that the theme for February looks like it's going to be exactly what I've been hoping for from pretty much every single sub ever!

I was just trying to arrange a couple of swaps, and it hit me:  I'm actually at the point where I'm so overwhelmed by all of the stuff I currently have that I can't bring myself to pick out more stuff to get, even if I'm getting it for the price of postage.  I think that must be the reason I'm even having problems ordering stuff from Birchbox using points:  I just have too much stuff in my life.  I've got a feeling the next couple of months are going to be a purging time for *everything*, not just a low-buy for makeup.  And speaking of Birchbox, yay, I did my feedback on my secondary account, sent a gift card to my primary account, and canceled the subscription despite the fact that the theme for February looks like it's going to be exactly what I've been hoping for from pretty much every single sub ever!
That is what I'm planning to do with my second Birchbox. And it is giving me great pains. I have already cancelled Ipsy.

got my shadows from my beauty addict. I don't have a good camera but took a snapshot of my eyes wearing "smoke and mirrors" today. I think it's my favorite new purple. 

here's a picture of it! (also, today was a good "eyeliner day" for me). 

looks a little lighter than it is due to bright light from the window, but it's such a gorgeous color! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylilee View Post

got my shadows from my beauty addict. I don't have a good camera but took a snapshot of my eyes wearing "smoke and mirrors" today. I think it's my favorite new purple. 

looks a little lighter than it is due to bright light from the window, but it's such a gorgeous color! 

Very pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioness90 View Post

Very pretty!

WOOOO THANK YOU! "good eyeliner days" happen rather rarely because I'm lazy and most of the time either skip or say "good enough" when they don't 100% match. today i took the extra 2 minutes to make sure, and I'm the happier for it. considering it was done in my half-asleep mode at 6am, I feel like I'm perfecting the 15-minute makeup thing. 

WOOOO THANK YOU! "good eyeliner days" happen rather rarely because I'm lazy and most of the time either skip or say "good enough" when they don't 100% match. today i took the extra 2 minutes to make sure, and I'm the happier for it. considering it was done in my half-asleep mode at 6am, I feel like I'm perfecting the 15-minute makeup thing. 
OMG, how do you do this???? I have never even come close to perfect eyeliner like this. You must teach me!!!!! And forget shadow, I'm like a teenager trying it out for the first time in my thirties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylilee View Post

That's a lovely look!

So there's one thing that recently came on the market that I LOVE and have been wishing for (an LE dupe of an old nail polish color). If I buy it, then I will break my necessities-only no-buy. What to do?? Maybe stuff that I've wanted forever doesn't count? Just ignore it and try to no-buy until Black Friday like the original plan? (Soooo much to use up--45 eyeshadows, 26 lip products, 64 nail polishes...) I do have a Project Pan going but so many new things to shop my stash for already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersmom View Post

OMG, how do you do this???? I have never even come close to perfect eyeliner like this. You must teach me!!!!! And forget shadow, I'm like a teenager trying it out for the first time in my thirties.

I posted this link on another thread in makeup talk, but basically, i start from the wing in because if i start from the inner corner of my eye out, I get "skipping" and it drives me crazy.

here's a pictorial:

http://i.imgur.com/RfGc52b.jpg

Hope this helppppssssss!!!!!! for eyeshadow, i've been looking at a lot youtube tutorials, and upgrading my brushes to good ones (Hakuhodo are my new babies), which seems to make a LOT of difference...i'm trying to learn now how to blend well, and turns out if I put down a color similar to my skin tone in the crease, the blending with other colors becomes easier. 

---

@Lulubelle107 Thank you, lady! 

• Like 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saycrackagain View Post

So there's one thing that recently came on the market that I LOVE and have been wishing for (an LE dupe of an old nail polish color). If I buy it, then I will break my necessities-only no-buy. What to do?? Maybe stuff that I've wanted forever doesn't count? Just ignore it and try to no-buy until Black Friday like the original plan? (Soooo much to use up--45 eyeshadows, 26 lip products, 64 nail polishes...) I do have a Project Pan going but so many new things to shop my stash for already!

is this item a permanent item?? If so, either wait until black friday OR use up a polish before you purchase the one you're lemming for -- one in, one out. 

I have a loose project pan going on -- I definitely have the items I want to use up, but if I feel like wearing something else on a single day, I won't stop myself from doing so. just incorporate the items. 

[@]jaylilee[/@], thank you so much. I tried for an hr this am before I saw this and always get the skipping you mentioned. I am going to try this way tomorrow. Your awesome Thx for the advise!!!

These are more savings things than no/low-buy things, but since savings can be what happens when you cut spending, I'll put it all here.

Time for a _Zombie Economics_ tip!  After you have cut your expenses, reassess periodically!  Their example was Netflix.  If you cut Netflix to save money while you kept cable but realize you are spending more on movie rentals than before, maybe it's time to ditch cable and resubscribe to Netflix.  To translate to subscription box terms, as an example, if you canceled Birchbox/Sample Society and kept ipsy but find yourself buying skin care stuff to try while not touching the makeup you receive from ipsy, time to cut ipsy and maybe resubscribe to Birchbox/Sample Society.

And my new rule:  If I find paper money stuck in a pocket/purse/dryer lint trap that I forgot about, I do not get to say, "Ooh, play money for this week!"  Instead, that money goes into the Fun Stuff Stash, aka the jar/can/wallet that gets money added to it -- sometimes randomly -- in order to save towards a goal, and the goal is reset periodically.  My current goal:  Emerald City Comic Con.  For me, I find that setting a *date* (this time around, the last weekend of March) rather than a *thing* (a certain pair of shoes/expensive skincare item/high-end mixer/etc.) helps me stay on track.  There's more pressure when you realize that you only have ten/nine/eight/etc. weeks in which to save save save. 

Also, I went to brunch with some former coworkers this morning.  Because it's my birthday in a few days, they bought one of my drinks that I had been planning on paying for.  I'm going to estimate the price at ten bucks (it was something that wasn't on the menu and may not even have an official name, and I have no idea how much it was since they picked up the tab, but based on prices of other things on the menu, this seems about right), and that money is going into the wallet as well.  If money is budgeted but not used for a certain thing, it goes into the wallet, not spent on something else!  This will at least buy me lunch one day during the con.  I'm hoping that crepe stand I used to go to when I worked at the film festival box office in downtown Seattle a few blocks from the convention center is still there!

Finally, I linked my secondary bank account -- the one that I have had since the '80s but hadn't used in so long that the credit union flagged it as dormant -- to my PayPal account so I can shoot small amounts of money over to it whenever I have money sitting in PayPal (today was ten bucks, which isn't a lot, but it's ten bucks more than I've deposited in there in the past several years).  Also, some banks/credit unions can set up more than one savings account with automatic transfers.  I have a vacation/fun stuff savings account with my main credit union set up to automatically get $75 every month transferred over, but since I can see it when I check my account online, I have this nasty tendency to transfer all of the money in it back to my checking account, so my vacation/fun stuff account is always empty.  This new way, I don't even see it when I log in to my main credit union because it's a completely separate credit union, and if I continue to put money into it, the CU won't flag it as dormant again.

I have made it this far and havent bought anything! It really helps that my Lush orders I placed in December just arrived this week...new goodies to kill the temptation. :)

Well, while I was ultimately a fail and bought those two lipsticks at the beginning of the year followed by the Naked 3 palette, I am going to return 3 things so all in all I'm coming out even? Lol, maybe not... but I am going to return all of the things that I had been purchasing at the end of last year that I was really just buying because I was so caught up in the Youtuber/blogger hype. They include the Laura Mercier Artist Palette, the Urban Decay Vice 2 palette and the aforementioned Naked 3 palette. I am coming to the realization that:

a) I really only like very specific eyeshadow looks on myself and rarely gravitate toward anything outside of those. Also (sadly) I don't really attend a whole lot of events that require getting very gussied up and even then I have 1 or 2 more nighttime appropriate looks I like for those occasions and don't really need to stray beyond them. One of my favorite minimalism fashion blogs has always posed the question, look at your stash of clothes, or makeup in this case, and ask yourself if it really fits with your lifestyle. I am finding that within my makeup stash I have wayyyyy too many shades that are appropriate for special occasions/parties/clubbing and with that being such a rare occurrence these days, I really need to pare down those products.

B) I'm really lazy and once I find a look that works it hardly ever switch it up. Putting together a new look usually requires a bunch of tries where I'm not 100% happy with how it turned out because I'm not really good at color pairing and call me vain, but I like to feel like a million bucks whenever I'm wearing makeup or what's the point.

All of these palettes feature shades that just don't look right on me or are shades I rarely wear, especially in the case of the Vice 2 palette with all of those pinks and purples, so back they go. I'm happy to be ridding myself of the clutter, honestly, and looking forward to welcoming the cash back into my life! It hasn't been a perfect no-buy month for me but I feel like I'm finally starting to readjusting the way I am thinking about consuming products and their usefulness in my life. Now hopefully I can get in and out of Sephora easily to make those returns before temptation strikes :X

• Like 4