Nail Stamp Help? :(

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just purchased these:

http://www.amazon.com/PUEEN-2013-Stamp-Collection-25F/dp/B00ANFYEQS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Which have lots of rave reviews. I also purchased the Pueen stamper; I think I'll order the Konad one also? If I can get these to work... Anyway.

They came early and I was super excited but I've only been able to successfully stamp one thing (the small cherry). It seems like it just isn't wanting to work for me, and I'm looking for advice hopefully from people that have the same plates?

For polish, I did a lot of research and went out and bought several polishes that are known to stamp great. I don't have any of the special stamping polish. The main problem seems to be that no matter how fast, slow, hard, soft, in what direction, with the metal scraper or a credit card, the polish never stays in the well. I can tell immediately too much was taken off. No matter what I try! Are the wells on these plates not deep enough? Or do I just need to keep trying? 

Quote: Originally Posted by SweetTea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I just purchased these:

http://www.amazon.com/PUEEN-2013-Stamp-Collection-25F/dp/B00ANFYEQS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Which have lots of rave reviews. I also purchased the Pueen stamper; I think I'll order the Konad one also? If I can get these to work... Anyway.

They came early and I was super excited but I've only been able to successfully stamp one thing (the small cherry). It seems like it just isn't wanting to work for me, and I'm looking for advice hopefully from people that have the same plates?

For polish, I did a lot of research and went out and bought several polishes that are known to stamp great. I don't have any of the special stamping polish. The main problem seems to be that no matter how fast, slow, hard, soft, in what direction, with the metal scraper or a credit card, the polish never stays in the well. I can tell immediately too much was taken off. No matter what I try! Are the wells on these plates not deep enough? Or do I just need to keep trying? 

Hmm. It's hard to say. I know others on here have more experience with stamping and might have some ideas. Have you removed the blue or clear plastic cover from the image plates? Comments I've read regarding this issue: 1) Yes, sometimes the plates are not engraved properly, and you will have an issue with some of them. 2) Try a variety of nail polishes - it might just be the polish you're using. 3) And this is a big one: The surface of your stamper might be too smooth to pick up the polish, so use a file or some sandpaper to rough up the stamper surface so it can better pick up the polish in the plate. 4) Similarly, make sure the stamper is cleaned with acetone and the stamper dries before you try to pick up the image.

If you truly are seeing that the image is cleared of polish just by scraping gently with a very straight-edged scraper (and the cover has been removed), then honestly it sounds like the wells are too shallow, and I would try to get a replacement set as soon as possible.

Okay so I spent HOURS playing with these and I finally figured out how to get it to stamp! I was following all the guides that said "45 degree angle" and in the end it was like a 20 degree angle that finally scraped the polish without removing it from the wells. Now I can get it to stamp/transfer every time. 

Now my new issue is that I cannot for the life of me get the design to line up properly xD but at least I know that's 100% user error and not defective tools!

Quote: Originally Posted by SweetTea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Okay so I spent HOURS playing with these and I finally figured out how to get it to stamp! I was following all the guides that said "45 degree angle" and in the end it was like a 20 degree angle that finally scraped the polish without removing it from the wells. Now I can get it to stamp/transfer every time. 

Now my new issue is that I cannot for the life of me get the design to line up properly xD but at least I know that's 100% user error and not defective tools!
Good news! Glad to hear it worked out for you. I didn't even think of the angle of the scraper causing such a problem! I think I'm not very particular (or particularly aware of what I do) about the angle when I do it - sometimes I scrape out too much, then re-"scrape" with a really low angle to fill in the image from what is left on the scraper, and re-scrape. But I only thought of that looking back on my typical use with the perspective gained from your description of your solution. Sometimes certain behaviours become automatic and unconscious. But it's a super additional tip for newbies for certain!

Quote: Originally Posted by Monika1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Good news! Glad to hear it worked out for you. I didn't even think of the angle of the scraper causing such a problem! I think I'm not very particular (or particularly aware of what I do) about the angle when I do it - sometimes I scrape out too much, then re-"scrape" with a really low angle to fill in the image from what is left on the scraper, and re-scrape. But I only thought of that looking back on my typical use with the perspective gained from your description of your solution. Sometimes certain behaviours become automatic and unconscious. But it's a super additional tip for newbies for certain!
I find when I use my gift card that it flexes a bit so I actually have to grip it lower and adjust the angle when I am scraping depending on how far I have to scrape the image off the plate.  If it's a smaller image say on the edge I use a different angle than if I am say using an image in the middle of the plate and I always scrap entirely off the plate no matter what.  Weird habit but I am glad to hear  you go this working.  Fantastic trouble shooting Monika also!  I was going to answer and didn't need to after your great suggestions.

As for lining it up straight.... I am still working that out.  I tell people I make asymmetrical designs a lot on purpose!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I find when I use my gift card that it flexes a bit so I actually have to grip it lower and adjust the angle when I am scraping depending on how far I have to scrape the image off the plate.  If it's a smaller image say on the edge I use a different angle than if I am say using an image in the middle of the plate and I always scrap entirely off the plate no matter what.  Weird habit but I am glad to hear  you go this working.  Fantastic trouble shooting Monika also!  I was going to answer and didn't need to after your great suggestions.

As for lining it up straight.... I am still working that out.  I tell people I make asymmetrical designs a lot on purpose!!
Ha, ha, tee, hee! Me too on the angled stamps. You'll see that on my crooked teddies in the mani I'll be posting soon. I've been actually using my metal scraper as it seems to work better for me than when I tried using the card stamper, but it sure does scrape things up.

Back