Airbrush guns for spray tans & which products

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
girls i need help. I just got an iwata silver jet compressor and eclipse spray gun for christmas. So my question is that i am wondering which gun is good for spray tanning, i want to add another gun into my kit. But im not sure which is a good one to go with.

Also what kinda of spray tan products are the best, i would like an organic formal.

please help!!!!!

That is a good question.

Are you going to do just the face area or whole body? If the whole body then you're going to want to use an airbrush gun with a large feed. Dinair actually has one for $65 however they also have a pro system for under $400 that kind of reminds me of the kind you'd use to paint a room. Most tanning kits I've seen actually use a large container since the last thing you want to do is stop and refill an airbrush gun since it will cause streaking.

Thanks for responding. And yes to full body. I should have put that, so definitely a large feed gun i would need. Probably, A larger gun then what I already have. And I don't really need the whole kit. Really only the gun and products (I think) I've heard the silver jet iwata compressor is a pretty good one, so I was thinking I only really need to add different guns if I wanted to.

I agree you don't need the whole kit. Looking at tanning kits most use a bottle fed system (which to me still looks like the type you use for painting your house). I've never done airbrushing outside of the face however Iawata and Paasche both make some that would work for your needs. Since you have a Iawata compressor let's start with their airbrush gun first:

From Iawata:

Quote: This multi-purpose, high-paint-flow, high-detail Eclipse Series airbrush covers a wide range of uses. Commonly used to spray premixed or heavier paints, it is well suited for uses demanding precise control of spray when applying moderate-to-large amounts of paint to a variety of surfaces and to various-sized areas. This Eclipse Series brush has established a new benchmark for excellence in an all-purpose airbrush.

A unique “Pistol Grip†airbrush, the Eclipse G6 airbrush looks like a miniature spray gun, but sprays and performs like a large airbrush with its 0.6-mm stainless-steel nozzle.

· Equipped with a long tapered needle that ensures a smooth transition between fine-to-wide background spray

· Utilizes a dual-purpose air cap and a fan adjustment valve that lets the airbrush spray a round or oval pattern

· The round pattern is useful for painting graphics, while the oval shape creates a smooth background spray

· Uses a special fitting so airbrush bottles can be used instead of a gravity-feed cup, allowing for multiple color bottles to be interchanged quickly without having to clean a cup thoroughly – another unique feature for this type of spray unit – optional gravity-feed cups available

· Works well with the Iwata Studio Series Power Jet and Power Jet Lite Compressors

Iawata do have airbrush spray guns that are for more industrial use however from a tanning site they sell the G6. From a different tanning site they sell the Iawata HP-BCS however I think that gun leaves too much room for finger fatigue. It's good if you're doing body painting but not for tanning.

From Paasche:

400T
Retail: $99​
 ​
Paasche website doesn't give any info on the 400T and what type of compressor it can be used with however a different website gives this info:

Quote: The Paasche 400T is a low pressure tanning spray gun producing a flat 5-6 inch pattern for quick, even application. This sprayer is designed for salon use - almost impossible to clog and reduces application time to 5 minutes or less.

Product Features:

• Free braided hose included (1/4 x 1/4)
  • Simplified
  • Reduced application time
  • Low maintenance

Compatible with Iwata PowerJet Lite and Iwata PowerJet Pro compressors.

​
500T
Retail: $99​

Quote: HVLP Gravity Feed

The 500T is a gravity feed HVLP tanning spray gun.  The fan pattern can be adjusted from 2" tp 7" and has very little overspray.   Best results are achieved with compressors 1/6 HP or larger like the D220R or DA400R models.  Also inlcued is a 10' braided air hose.

​
300T
Retail: $155​
Quote: 300T-000 Quick Application Tanning Spray Gun. The Paasche 300T is a low pressure Tanning spray gun. It gives a flat 5-6 Inch pattern for quick even application. Application time is reduced to 5 minutes or less. It can be used with the Paasche D220R or DA400R compressors. If you already have a compressor it must be 1/4 HP or larger. Apply tans in 5 minutes or less. 4-5 inch wide spray. Can use our quiet 1/6 HP compressors.

Amazing. Thank you so much for your help. Now with choosing a gun, does it have to go with a certain compressor or if you have the correct cord it doesn't matter?

Quote: Originally Posted by mariag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amazing. Thank you so much for your help. Now with choosing a gun, does it have to go with a certain compressor or if you have the correct cord it doesn't matter?

The compressor does indeed matter to which gun as some require one with at least 1/4 HP or a 1/6 HP compressor. The Iwata compressor you have has a 1/10 HP with a 10-18 psi which means it's does not have the horsepower for the Paasche guns. Just talked to Iwata and you can use the G6 on the Silver Jet however you run the risk of burning out the compressor because the horsepower is too small. She recommends any of the compressors from the Power Jet series. She said that the Silver Jet was not intended for body tanning but can be used for face tanning and cosmetics.

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/compressors/silver-jet/silver-jet-airbrush-usage/

Do I want single piston or double piston action on the iwata smart jet compressor?

Iwata would be best to ask since you can give them more info on if you're using this for personal use or business. A double piston is more efficient in CFM per HP than a single piston but which of the Iwata compressors is single and which is a double I don't know, this is why you should contact them, they will be able to give you more and detailed info. I'm still learning airbrushing myself but I use the small compressor from Dinair and from Luminess which obviously are not meant for heavy duty work. If you can go to a trade show and talk to them one on one or see the products in person that would be a good idea as well.

Try to contact any representative or someone who works for Iwata and ask them some question. But ou can also try other companies too and see what they tell you, how they treat clients and what do they have to offer. Be sure to ask some specifics too, especially health wise. You know how their guns work, in what method their spray the specificant and so on and so forth. I am not as smart as I would like to be but here are few links which can help you (I hope!):

http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=37

http://www.airbrushmakeup.com/customer_service/

http://www.scienceclarified.com/A-Al/Aerosols.html

http://www.luminessair.com/ContactUS.aspx

Back