Cailyn Cosmetics vs MicaBella

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, over the last few months many of the ladies here on MakeupTalk who subscribe to Ipsy have been getting products from Cailyn Cosmetics and/or MicaBella/Beauty cosmetics. Over time we began to notice that many things one had the other also sold and the topic came up could MicaBeauty and Cailyn Cosmetics be getting their products from the same private label manufacturer? While the proof isn't 100% what we do know is the Cailyn Cosmetics' parent company Smile World Inc. From Yelp:

Quote: Specialties Cailyn Cosmetics
We are a leading cosmetic private manufacturing company of over 10 years ,  located in heart of Los Angeles.   We are strongly committed to deliver high quality products, and continuously bringing a beautiful , healthy and happy life experience to all our costumers. We are proud to represent our new mineral based cosmetic brand "Cailyn". "Cailyn" cosmetics has variety of high quality product lines including -mineral based face and body make up, and naturally inspired Skin Care lines, and Nail care products.  We are excited to introduce our must have skin care line of  high effective skin exfoliating, and purifying scrubs, anti-cellulite body scrubs, that will make you feel proud of your skin , and the shape of your  body. In addition to that, enjoy our impressive nail care line - colorful nail polishes, printed stickers, and celebrity look hair C-Bling accessory.
Come celebrate with us our new skin care line!
  History Established in 2000

The Cailyn Cosmetics brand was launched by  Smile World Inc, a manufacturer and supplier of the highest quality mineral cosmetics for private labeling companies, and skin care products for doctors, spas, salons, and big brand cosmetics companies throughout the Unites States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, South Korea, and South East Asia.

Through Smile World we created the Cailyn brand, a leading cosmetic retailer and wholesaler of innovative, all-natural and mineral-based makeup products, and unique skin care lines to retailers, wholesalers, and distributers. Our customers know the importance of quality products and they enjoy the variety and quality of our product lines.

The latest item being sent by Ipsy essentially convinced us that MicaBeauty/Bella is indeed using the same company as Cailyn but at a larger markup. So was the item Ipsy sent out that convinced us? MicaBeauty Tinted Lip Balm in Fiesta or Natural.

Fiesta and Natural​
 ​
While the items don't look identical the item names are. Just keep in mind how items are photographed plays a great part in how it looks on your screen. Just to compare lists of the Tinted Lip Balms:

Cailyn Cosmetics
MicaBeauty/MicaBella
TINTED LIP BALM 01 COTTON CANDY 01 - Cotton Candy TINTED LIP BALM 02 BUBBLE GUM 02 - Bubble Gum TINTED LIP BALM 03 SUNBURST 03 - Sunburst TINTED LIP BALM 04 AUTUMN SUN 04 - Autumn Sun TINTED LIP BALM 05 NATURAL 05 - Natural TINTED LIP BALM 06 FIESTA 06 - Fiesta TINTED LIP BALM 07 MOCHA 07 - Mocha TINTED LIP BALM 08 BIG APPLE 08 - Big Apple TINTED LIP BALM 09 VELVET ROSE 09 - Velvet Rose TINTED LIP BALM 10 CHERRY CHOCOLATE 10 - Cherry Chocolate TINTED LIP BALM 11 NOUGAT
TINTED LIP BALM 12 APPLE PINK
TINTED LIP BALM 13 CORAL
TINTED LIP BALM 14 ACID PINK
TINTED LIP BALM 15 SCARLET
TINTED LIP BALM 16 BABY BREATH
TINTED LIP BALM 17 CHERRY BLOSSOM
TINTED LIP BALM 18 MAUVE None for 11 - 18. Price: $19 each Price: $30 each
Now let's look at the Lip Color Pots.

Cailyn Cosmetics
MicaBeauty
LIP COLOUR POT 01 PINK SUGAR 01 - Pink Sugar

LIP COLOUR POT 02 LILAC SUGAR 02 - Lilac Sugar LIP COLOUR POT 03 RICH BRONZE 03 - Rich Bronze LIP COLOUR POT 04 RICH BROWN 04 - Rich Brown LIP COLOUR POT 05 RICH CHOCOLATE 05 - Rich Chocolate LIP COLOUR POT 06 TRUE RED 06 - True Red LIP COLOUR POT 07 CLEAR 07 - Clear LIP COLOUR POT 08 VIBRANT BERRY PINK 08 - Vibrant Berry LIP COLOUR POT 09 RED WINE 09 - Red Wine LIP COLOUR POT 10 DOLCE VITA 10 - Dolce Vita Price: $14 each Price: $14.95 each
Now some of the names don't match up like Cailyn Cosmetic's 3 in 1 Hydra Lip Plumper to Lip Plumper by MicaBeauty however the colors and packaging match up and there is a price different of $5 between the Cailyn and MicaBeauty one. The lip pencils are identical except Cailyn's cost $7 and MicaBeauty costs $19.95. ($12 more!)

So if you like MicaBeauty products check out Cailyn Cosmetics since it's the same thing only less expensive.

I did some amateurish digging, and I don't think they are the same company. Or, at least it doesn't look like they're registered to the same person. I do think they use the same company to buy things in bulk to print their company name on, and were too lazy to change the names.

Not the same company no but using the same private manufacturing company. Smile World, the owners of Cailyn Cosmetics, are a private label manufacturer so it appears that MicaBeauty buys their products from Smile World and marks the products up far more than on Cailyn. According to someone else's research Smile World said companies can mark up the products five to eight times for a profit.

That's what I just kind of came to the same conclusion. Hmm. Kind of shady...

Not really shady since so many companies use a PLM. Starlooks uses a PLM, Be A Bombshell, Two Cosmetics, even Julep. But it does go to the if it's not created for that company and by that company you probably can get it for less elsewhere.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Not really shady since so many companies use a PLM. Starlooks uses a PLM, Be A Bombshell, Two Cosmetics, even Julep. But it does go to the if it's not created for that company and by that company you probably can get it for less elsewhere.
Does using a PLM mean that the products can be repackaged and sold somewhere else, too? I'm confused about how this works.

Quote: Originally Posted by roskandy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does using a PLM mean that the products can be repackaged and sold somewhere else, too? I'm confused about how this works.

A private label manufacturer is a company that makes products on behalf of other companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Label_Manufacturers#Examples_of_private_label_manufacturers

PLMs can be resold online, in stores, etc. If you've ever been to an independently run salon (ie not part of a chain or franchise) that had their own line of cosmetics or haircare and wondered how they'd managed it, this is how :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Moonblossom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  PLMs can be resold online, in stores, etc. If you've ever been to an independently run salon (ie not part of a chain or franchise) that had their own line of cosmetics or haircare and wondered how they'd managed it, this is how :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A private label manufacturer is a company that makes products on behalf of other companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Label_Manufacturers#Examples_of_private_label_manufacturers

Ah, okay! Thanks guys :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was confused--had no idea that this was a thing! I guess it makes sense for food items, but I mean for makeup!

Well, think about this way. The cost to start up your own manufacturing plant and lab to create the "recipes" for the cosmetics is a great deal of money so it would make more sense for cosmetic companies to use a single PLM than to create their own labs and set up their own manufacturing plants. Did you know in the US there are only three companies that make nail polish and the vast majority of well known brands are bottled at one of those companies? I found that out at CPNA during a blogger dinner.

How do you ladies who subscribe to IPSY feel about this? Personally I'm hesitant to try makeup from companies that aren't well established... it might be unfounded, but while I was living in Asia I saw a lot of strange, made in China makeup with weird labels. From then on I never trusted anything but US drugstore or high end makeup. I feel like smaller companies may be more likely to use suppliers with unsafe or unregulated manufacturing processes.

Quote: Originally Posted by themakeupgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  How do you ladies who subscribe to IPSY feel about this? Personally I'm hesitant to try makeup from companies that aren't well established... it might be unfounded, but while I was living in Asia I saw a lot of strange, made in China makeup with weird labels. From then on I never trusted anything but US drugstore or high end makeup. I feel like smaller companies may be more likely to have unsafe or unregulated manufacturing processes.

I have to say I don't give it much thought. I'm sure if I took a good look at my cosmetics I'd find at least half if not more are manufactured in China or the packaging is manufactured in China. While I like seeing my stuff with "Made in the USA" or "Made in Canada" or even "Made in Italy" (I probably have a few "Made in France") I just don't give the matter thought. The more I DO think about PLMs and companies that use PLMs it make me question why I like one company versus another especially if the items are identical.

I have to say I don't give it much thought. I'm sure if I took a good look at my cosmetics I'd find at least half if not more are manufactured in China or the packaging is manufactured in China. While I like seeing my stuff with "Made in the USA" or "Made in Canada" or even "Made in Italy" (I probably have a few "Made in France") I just don't give the matter thought. The more I DO think about PLMs and companies that use PLMs it make me question why I like one company versus another especially if the items are identical.

Thank you for bringing the issue to light. I have noticed a similarity between some of the makeup companies cropping up in these subscription boxes, but I couldn't put my finger on it. It is pretty absurd to pay more for an item because of the brand name when it's mixed in the same plant as its cheaper counterparts! 

MicaBella is sold a over in my part of Canada but I was never a fan. It wears off me by the end of the day. I would probably try some more of their stuff if I got it cheaper. The giant markup explains why I didn't feel the stuff was worth the cost, I guess. As far as makeup in Asia - that's a little unfair. What do you think Asians are putting on their face? Of course there's weird stuff everywhere you look but there are many reputable Asian brands that I use or have used and are much better than a lot of what is available in the West.

It's just my opinion and preference-- I'm not knocking all Asian makeup, I'm just weary of smaller companies because I saw firsthand the sort of "makeup food chain" for lack of a better term while I was living in Asia. There were western cosmetics sold there, established Asian retailers like Face Shop and Sasa, and everything in between. If you saw some of the sketchy makeup I've seen you might rethink purchasing from small companies where products are produced in plants in China and Taiwan with little oversight and regulation. I think the US market is much safer for cosmetics, but perhaps the difference is just psychological.. a larger brand gives us the illusion of safe manufacturing procedures, but that's not always true. For example, Kanebo is a hugely popular brand in Asia but just last year this story came out: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/24/world/asia/japan-skin-whitener-recall/

I lived in Korea and traveled to Taiwan and parts of mainland China for long periods. I know Asia and it's rules quite well. But they all have different laws regarding cosmetics and lots of things get recalled in the West, too. It doesn't say anything about Asia overall that some people had a bad reaction to one thing. So I know exactly what you're talking about. I just think that was unfair umbrella generalization you made when I've seen similar things. It's about being a smart consumer.

Well, if you go back and read my original post, I never make a blanket generalization about all Asian products. My beef is with small companies and the lack of knowledge we have about where their products come from and how they're made. I only said I prefer US products--I never said I dislike all Asian products.

Here's a concrete reason I don't trust a lot of makeup sold in Asia: there is no regulation so companies print anything on the label to make it sell. Products made in China or Taiwan are often made to look as if they're from Korea or Japan because it's more en vogue to use a Korean skincare item. They do this because Chinese people don't even trust makeup that comes from China. If you read the label closely they will sometimes say "Designed in Korea, Made in China" in small print. Ask any expat girl living in Taiwan if she's seen this crazy makeup I'm talking about. These are products you don't touch with a ten foot pole must less put on your face.

Haha yeah I totally agree with that. I saw that stuff in Taiwan as well. But it's coming back to being a smart consumer. My friend bought fake Korean products in China and went blind in one eye. Sorry I misunderstood you! Anyway, back to actual topic: I don't have issue with PLMs. But the price needs to be right. I don't want to be paying luxury prices for something that's not even a private mixture. And MicaBella costs way too much money for that.

Latest posts

Back