Starlooks February 2014 (SPOILERS!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) let's see something pretty for Valentines Day (even though we will get it after valentines). Red or pink lipstick or blush & a sparkly gem liner! :)

Last February was my favorite of all of the boxes I got, so hopefully this year's will be good, too!

I just got the email that I was charged for my February Starbox.  Let the waiting begin!  

Seriously though, there was no way I was cancelling (I love Starbox and I'm excited about my loyalty gift this month), but the referral box issue is kind of bull.  They still haven't provided a shipping date for them.  Last week, they said they'd ship "soon" (super, super vague) and that we'd get tracking when they DO ship (haven't gotten that yet, so I'm going to assume they likely haven't shipped).  They also said that they were behind because there were so many new subscribers that the regular boxes took a while to get out.  I totally get that, but, to me, the reason there are so many new subscribers is because of their referrers.  

For what it's worth, I wouldn't be even the little bit annoyed that I am at this if A) they gave us a timeframe during which they plan to ship the boxes and B) if they hadn't sent out the "you got a referral!" emails nine days ago and then never shipped these boxes.  When I got the referral box email in December, I received this box just a few days later.  This time, they sent the email on the 22nd and then I guess just figured they could send out the referral boxes at their leisure?  I don't know.

I really love their referral program, but I do have one issue with it.  When you actually get a referral from most sub boxes, you get an email immediately, letting you know that, "hey, someone you talk to at least on the internet thought what you said was neat enough to throw money at us!"  For Starbox, they don't send the email until the boxes are getting ready to ship.  Even further, the email doesn't tell you how many referrals you got.  Not all of us know the people that we referred on a super personal nature.  It'd be nice to just get a confirmation when someone uses your referral link.  I think I might be at max referral boxes for next month, but I'm not sure, so I don't want to use my own referral link in favor of someone else's, but I could be completely wrong about this and wind up with none.  If I'd gotten an email when people used my link, I could avoid having to guess at this.

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I just got the email that I was charged for my February Starbox.  Let the waiting begin!  

Seriously though, there was no way I was cancelling (I love Starbox and I'm excited about my loyalty gift this month), but the referral box issue is kind of bull.  They still haven't provided a shipping date for them.  Last week, they said they'd ship "soon" (super, super vague) and that we'd get tracking when they DO ship (haven't gotten that yet, so I'm going to assume they likely haven't shipped).  They also said that they were behind because there were so many new subscribers that the regular boxes took a while to get out.  I totally get that, but, to me, the reason there are so many new subscribers is because of their referrers.  

For what it's worth, I wouldn't be even the little bit annoyed that I am at this if A) they gave us a timeframe during which they plan to ship the boxes and B) if they hadn't sent out the "you got a referral!" emails nine days ago and then never shipped these boxes.  When I got the referral box email in December, I received this box just a few days later.  This time, they sent the email on the 22nd and then I guess just figured they could send out the referral boxes at their leisure?  I don't know.

I really love their referral program, but I do have one issue with it.  When you actually get a referral from most sub boxes, you get an email immediately, letting you know that, "hey, someone you talk to at least on the internet thought what you said was neat enough to throw money at us!"  For Starbox, they don't send the email until the boxes are getting ready to ship.  Even further, the email doesn't tell you how many referrals you got.  Not all of us know the people that we referred on a super personal nature.  It'd be nice to just get a confirmation when someone uses your referral link.  I think I might be at max referral boxes for next month, but I'm not sure, so I don't want to use my own referral link in favor of someone else's, but I could be completely wrong about this and wind up with none.  If I'd gotten an email when people used my link, I could avoid having to guess at this.

I agree that they should be a bit more "together" with the referrals. They need some sort of system where you can go to your referrals page and see the name of the person you referred, and how many referrals you've had so far in the month, similar to the way the Birchbox referral page is set up. I had 3 referrals in one month when I didn't even expect them, and then other months when I thought I would have referrals, I didn't get any. There's no way to verify that someone used your link properly or not etc.

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJexie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree that they should be a bit more "together" with the referrals. They need some sort of system where you can go to your referrals page and see the name of the person you referred, and how many referrals you've had so far in the month, similar to the way the Birchbox referral page is set up. I had 3 referrals in one month when I didn't even expect them, and then other months when I thought I would have referrals, I didn't get any. There's no way to verify that someone used your link properly or not etc.

Yeah, I really hate that.  Plus, honestly, if I get three referrals, I'd start pushing another friend's referral link because it's pointless to get a fourth referral since you get nothing for it (which is another issue altogether because, really, if I'm getting 4+ referrals per month for you, you should appreciate me enough to do something for it...even if it's a gift card or maybe start giving money toward a free month, even if it's like $3 at a time and the person still has to pay shipping or something).  However, it's just impossible to track this stuff and I think that's kinda sketchy.  Also, the more I think about January's referral box delay, the more agitated I get by it.  Again, I'm not quitting the service, but the excuse is essentially, "I'm sorry, but if you guys didn't REFER so many people, we'd have gotten to that by now."

I am looking forward to February (and the loyalty box/reward/whatever)! I think it will be my last Starlooks month for a while (I just have too much makeup, so I am going to cut down to one sub for a few months), so I hope it's awesome.

Quote: Originally Posted by ohdahlia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I am looking forward to February (and the loyalty box/reward/whatever)! I think it will be my last Starlooks month for a while (I just have too much makeup, so I am going to cut down to one sub for a few months), so I hope it's awesome.
Whether or not I continue has everything to do with what the loyalty "reward" is. I agree, I have a ton of makeup and the Starlooks box is twice the cost of my Birchbox or Ipsy(which I'm thinking of getting rid of too) so I think unless the loyalty rewards are stellar, I might take a little break. I've always enjoyed the Starlooks boxes but I really need to use up some of the makeup I already have. I haven't even touched a lot of the things I've received in the past 3 months of Starlooks!

I am super excited to see what we get for February though!

I am in the too much makeup group too. I need to cut down some subs but its so hard because I love getting mail and pretties to play with. I am also very curious on what the loyalty reward is and what we are getting this month.

Quote: Originally Posted by ohdahlia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same. I'll probably take a break after this month. I have toooo much to play with. I am actually thinking of *gasp* pausing all my subs!

Luckily I haven't been subscribed to boxes for long so I am still lacking in the makeup department. I won't have to pause for a long time.
headphonedance.gif

Starbox has sent me the most items that I actually use/will use though. 

It's been a few months since we received an eyeliner pencil, and it's been more than twice that long since a cream blush, so I'm hoping for those! I'm also interested in seeing those loyalty gifts. My instinct is that they're going to be a jumble of past and dc'd stuff like the birthday and referral boxes.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's been a few months since we received an eyeliner pencil, and it's been more than twice that long since a cream blush, so I'm hoping for those! I'm also interested in seeing those loyalty gifts. My instinct is that they're going to be a jumble of past and dc'd stuff like the birthday and referral boxes.

I wouldn't mind eyeliner. I loved the gem liners and I can always use a new black one. 

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I restarted my subscription a month too late for the February loyalty gift, but I would also guess that it'll be a past/dc'd stuff.

I know a lot of lipglosses have gone out in Jan, but I've only got the "pink oasis" from last February, so I'd like another gloss. I'm not a huge gloss fan, but I like that one and would like to try some others and see how opaque they are (since pink oasis was mostly just glitter with a hint of color).

updates!  I'm just about out of the precision liquid liner, so I'd love another one (maybe the short tip, since they sent the long tip last time) and in a fun color. I love all of the starlooks liners and use them constantly.

http://looksbook.starlooks.com/#810

February - Futurism Metallics, geometrics, holographics, and accelerated movement toward ultimate simplicity are “inâ€. This Starbox gives you a taste of all this, and dares you to embrace the inevitable… the future.

Hmm...not sure how I feel about it, yet. I don't need anymore frosty white cosmetics from Starlooks. I see a really pretty eye look with the olive green and purple which could be interesting. I am down with metallics on the eyes, but from the looks of the photos it seems like a metallic lip, which I am NOT fond of. I prefer a creme or matte finish on my lips. I really don't like the eye look on the short haired girl...

Honestly I have no idea what to expect. I'm kind of in the middle. I like the idea of the theme, I like that the eye looks are bit more interesting and dramatic, but I'm not loving the color scheme that I see (other than that green and purple) and I am not a fan of the lip color they're booth wearing...it's like a weird frosty brown? IDK It's definitely interesting and a head-scratcher so I'm excited to see what we get!

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJexie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  http://looksbook.starlooks.com/#810

February - Futurism Metallics, geometrics, holographics, and accelerated movement toward ultimate simplicity are “inâ€. This Starbox gives you a taste of all this, and dares you to embrace the inevitable… the future.

Hmm...not sure how I feel about it, yet. I don't need anymore frosty white cosmetics from Starlooks. I see a really pretty eye look with the olive green and purple which could be interesting. I am down with metallics on the eyes, but from the looks of the photos it seems like a metallic lip, which I am NOT fond of. I prefer a creme or matte finish on my lips. I really don't like the eye look on the short haired girl...

Honestly I have no idea what to expect. I'm kind of in the middle. I like the idea of the theme, I like that the eye looks are bit more interesting and dramatic, but I'm not loving the color scheme that I see (other than that green and purple) and I am not a fan of the lip color they're booth wearing...it's like a weird frosty brown? IDK It's definitely interesting and a head-scratcher so I'm excited to see what we get!

I like the idea, but it does seem like we're going to get a frost lipstick, which I'm not SUPER big on.  The white eye product is making me nervous too, since I just got the Milky Way liner in January's box.  However, Starbox hardly ever disappoints me (except for referral boxes...still waiting for January's), so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Gahhh, I loathe metallic lips haha. If we get one, it'll probably go to the trade pile. The eye looks are interesting though. 

I think some people will get the purple/green box, and some people will get the tawny/brown box. In the January FAQ email Starlooks sent out, they wrote "Although colors may always vary, we will go back to sending everyone the same product types in February." I wonder if they're going to ask us which we want or what our skin tone is or something.

Latest posts

Back