Going on my first serious no-buy, please help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuliaGhostx3

Guinea Saurus Rex
Reaction score
Hey guys!
So in June, I'm going to London for two weeks as a graduation gift from my mother.
I really want to go on a no buy until I get to London, so I have more money to enjoy myself over there xD
I've thought about doing no-buys before, but they're sooo hard, and it never worked out.
Can you all please share with me all of your tips on a successful no-buy? 
It would mean a lot to me, and I hope I can accomplish this!

Shop your stash! also think of all the cool souvenirs you'll be able to get in London if you keep your money saved up instead of spending it on makeup (that you probably won't be able to bring with you anyway).

Wow that is a seriously awesome trip!

My advice would be just keep reminding yourself how amazing it'll be to have

all that saved up money when you go to London! I mean, most, if not all of those

items you are wanting will still be in stores when you get back! Haha

so just keep that in mind, and plus I mean not everyone gets to go to London, like, EVER.

So that's how I would look at it. Also, just use what you have. Get the use out of what

you have already put money in.

Good luck !

Thanks for responding guys!
Another question, I'm subbed to Birchbox, and it's my only subscription. Should I keep it or cancel it? I kind of want to keep it, but does that go against a no buy?

Quote: Originally Posted by JuliaGhostx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question, I'm subbed to Birchbox, and it's my only subscription. Should I keep it or cancel it? I kind of want to keep it, but does that go against a no buy?
I think you could go either way on that, to be honest. On the one hand, it could be seen as an unnecessary expense. But on the other, getting a new box of stuff every so often might be the thing to keep you on track with not going to a store or ordering something online. I guess it depends on how much your Birchbox is worth to you. If it's been fun/helpful, keep it. If it's full of stuff you really don't like/use, then I'd cancel it and save the money. 

It depends on you.  It is important is to set the goals that you need in your situation.  And you don't want to set yourself up to fail.  If you want to keep your birchbox keep it.  Just keep in mind it will be 60.00 you won't have in London.

My birchbox is paid for till September so I don't count it against money spent.  But I do allow myself to keep my Netflix and Hulu subscriptions.  That is money spent but it is what it in my budget to spend because it is worth it to me.  My Ipsy wasn't worth it so I cancelled it.

I'm starting one myself too.  I just signed up for mint.com to help graph where I spend my money each month.  I find that it's helping so far for me.  I've already canceled a couple subscription services I have based on that. 

Thanks for your responses! 
I think I'll keep BB for 1 or 2 more months to see if I really like it at all. I may keep it after if I truly love it. If I don't, unsubbing.
@kristab94 yay! Good luck! I hope we can do this! What is mint.com?

Thanks for your responses! 
I think I'll keep BB for 1 or 2 more months to see if I really like it at all. I may keep it after if I truly love it. If I don't, unsubbing.
@kristab94 yay! Good luck! I hope we can do this! What is mint.com?

mint.com is sort of a money management site.  You can connect your bank accounts, students loans, stocks, credit cards and it analyzes your purchases and groups them accordingly (food, dining out, clothing, etc).  You can set budgets for yourself for each category and mint will warn you when you might go over.   

betterment.com is pretty cool so far as well.  I'm saving up for a trip as well, and putting the money aside there.  It invests the money as you save.  Right now I've seen a 1% return on investments.  Which seems small, but that's better than in a savings account.  I've also set it to lower risk, lower yield investments so anyone can be more risky with their money and perhaps see a higher percent return. It's especially nice because I set it to auto move a certain amount from my checking account every month, so I don't see that money as spendable at all and it helps me save.  I like that it invests my money smartly without me worrying about it. 

@kristab94 Mint sounds pretty good! But it connects to your bank account? That makes me a little paranoid. But you've had no problems with them, right?

@kristab94 Mint sounds pretty good! But it connects to your bank account? That makes me a little paranoid. But you've had no problems with them, right?
I've used mint for years and I've never had a problem with it, other than I dont like to stay within my budget, which isn't their fault at all

Hi! I just started what I plan to be a nine month "no makeup" buy, excluding skincare, haircare, and concealers. I have never done a "no makeup" buy of this length before. Given that I'm such a makeup junkie, I decided that I needed some reward to work towards so that I can successfully complete my "no makeup" buy. I decided that at the end of my nine month "no makeup" buy, I will allow myself to purchase both the Marc Jacobs "Lolita" Palette and the Marc Jacobs Blush in "Reckless". It is awesome that you are going to London. I would suggest that you reward yourself with a makeup product you would like to purchase at the end of your "no makeup" buy. Maybe you can even promise yourself that you will purchase this product while you are in London so that you remain focused on your "no makeup" buy before your trip. Good Luck to you!

My rules: I can only buy personal hygiene items as needed, deodorant, toothpaste etc. I was gifted 2 subs (BB and Ipsy) and I kept Lip Factory Inc. If it doesn't come in a sub, a gift or a swap I can't have it.

1.Do not browse beauty aisles in any stores, browsing leads to yearning which leads to buying

2.Do not open any emails from cosmetic companies

3.Shop your stash, every Monday choose something from your stash that you haven't used lately and use it all week (join the Monday Club thread!)

4.Sub to all threads related to no/low buy

5.Do not look at Haul threads or videos

6.Get out your entire stash, everything you can unearth, inventory at least mentally (I didn't write mine down, but many do and even do spreadsheets) What do you already have? How many of each kind? How many duplicate colors? How many pink lipsticks do you actually need? (just an example)

Figure out what works best for you and your budget, often doing the inventory first helps. If you know you will absolutely be flat out of foundation next month, then pre-budget that amount. Congrats to you for starting the journey!

While I'm no good at the no buys (so take this as you will) I think the use it up idea is really neat. Trying to use up what you have and then as a reward go purchase the things you can't live with out. Or when your in London pick up something you can't get state side.

Quote: Originally Posted by SaraP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  While I'm no good at the no buys (so take this as you will) I think the use it up idea is really neat. Trying to use up what you have and then as a reward go purchase the things you can't live with out.
ITA. I'm trying to use up all of the little foil samples and things like lotion that I don't even really care for right now. I'm definitely going to cut down on spending, but there are things that I just can't avoid buying. Essentials that I know I will need to buy soon. I'm staying on the no/low buy but when I go to buy the essentials, I feel so guilty! Haha!

Latest posts

Back