Make up removers that ACTUALLY get all of your makeup off?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of my problems, too. I don’t usually wear make-ups but when I do, they always stick on my face for a couple of days. Even rinsing it with so much water will not help already. Is it time for me to change my kit? 

Neutrogena makeup remover wipes, I get them in bulk at BJs. They are amazing, even for waterproof makeup, and they don't irritate my skin. It's the light blue packet. It's amazing!

Honestly, every time I try a wipe, it never fully does the job. I think it's because it's not fully saturated as you could get a cotton pad.

The best make-up remover that I've ever tried that is gentle and SERIOUSLY effective is just raw coconut oil on a cotton pad. Place it over your eye for 8 seconds, and wipe away. It's amazing. Takes off face make-up too.

Maybe you could make your own wipes, by buying some cotton cloths, cutting them up, putting them in a little plastic air-tight bin, and pouring a solution of coconut oil and deionized water over them. Before you use, maybe just swish it around.

Just a thought.

I swear by Target brand makeup remover wipes.  They are super great and you can get them discounted pretty frequently.

Hope this helps,

Katy Rose

sugarvixen.com

I have sensitive skin so have to be careful with what I use. Lancôme works great but is a little pricey.

Aveeno ultra calming wipes work good and are inexpensive

Quote: Originally Posted by v0ltagekid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Neutrogena makeup remover wipes, I get them in bulk at BJs. They are amazing, even for waterproof makeup, and they don't irritate my skin. It's the light blue packet. It's amazing!
Wow! This seems like you are getting what you are paying for. How much is one packet, by the way? I would love to canvass as much as I can before I purchase. The products that I use have been with me for a long time because I do not change a lot. 

Are you specifically looking for wipes?

Because the best make up remover out there for me is Take the day off balm by Clinique.

Seriously, nothing better than this. When a friend of mine let me try it out I litterally run to the shop to buy it and now I'm sure it'll be my make up remover for the rest of my life.

It's a balm that melts like an oil in the face, really pleasant to use, you massage it on your face and eyes for a while and removes absolutely EVERYTHING, even the smallest trace of mascara on your lashes.

The best purchase ever
icon_cheers.gif

I tend not to overuse makeup wipes as I was always told it just moves dirt around your face, so I use Garnier makeup removers or Nivea, really sensitive on the skin using cotton wool pads, and then will wash my face and exfoliate depending on how much makeup I've got on! I find make-up removers that are in a moisturizer/cream form work best as something delicate on the skin and not an irritant. 

I have to second using coconut oil. It really removes the stuff. I've also been using Josie Maran's oil makeup remover. I have a sample of it, and I really like it, but it's just cheaper to buy organic coconut oil. There's multiple uses for coconut oil out there, so I just buy a big jar of it. I make my own deoderant, and coconut oil is an ingredient.

I use wipes occasionally like if I'm about to go to the gym because I don't exercise in makeup. I'll use Burt's Bees or Yes To, but I don't rely on them to take it off for the night. I doubt they really remove it all.

For eye makeup (which seems to be the hardest to remove, at least for me) I use Simple brand eye makeup remover pads. They're very affordable and they take off ALL of my eye makeup, even the liner that generally refuses to budge from my lash line. As far as the rest of my face, I use the generic remover wipes from Walmart. I always wash my face after removing my makeup anyway, so if there's any residue leftover it comes off then.

Firstly, pure plant-based oil. Could be jojoba, rice bran, coconut (makes some people break out, so test it out first), sunflower, etc. Massage it in really well, then remove with a wet, warm cloth. I personally don't like using straight oils around my eyes because it makes my vision cloudy for a while after removal. I take eye makeup off with my own bi-phase makeup remover. It takes everything off, including waterproof products. Secondly, a fragrance-free cream or lotion type cleanser. Jouviance makes a good one that isn't outrageously expensive called their Purifying Cleanser. It takes everything off, including long-wear & waterproof products. I don't like wipes at all. They don't properly remove everything. I've tested several out, some mentioned here, and none remove makeup completely. I always had to use another cleanser after. In addition, most contain ingredients that are harsh on the skin.

Hello all! I love the ponds wipes, specifically the night soothing ones with lavender. The scent doesn't irritate my eyes and since they are already wet they are practically mess free. I do have a bit trouble getting all of my mascara off. With that said I would recommend the Olay daily cleansing cloths! They come in a variety of types for skin types and also have a dry and wet version. I've only tried the wet ones as they do serious work with minimal effort to get off all traces of mascara. If wipes aren't your thing try using a gentle face wash and lather over eyes. Oh and the okay cloths have given me a bit of irritation but no burning or anything. Hope this helps!

Quote: Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Firstly, pure plant-based oil. Could be jojoba, rice bran, coconut (makes some people break out, so test it out first), sunflower, etc. Massage it in really well, then remove with a wet, warm cloth. I personally don't like using straight oils around my eyes because it makes my vision cloudy for a while after removal. I take eye makeup off with my own bi-phase makeup remover. It takes everything off, including waterproof products.

Secondly, a fragrance-free cream or lotion type cleanser. Jouviance makes a good one that isn't outrageously expensive called their Purifying Cleanser. It takes everything off, including long-wear & waterproof products.

I don't like wipes at all. They don't properly remove everything. I've tested several out, some mentioned here, and none remove makeup completely. I always had to use another cleanser after. In addition, most contain ingredients that are harsh on the skin.
Totally agree about the oils around the eye area. I find the more liquidy oils (like sunflower) do that worse than the harder oils (coconut). To everyone taking this advice, make sure you are using raw, unrefined oils. I want to try jojoba oil for my makeup remover, that might be great! The only thing is- do you think it matters what type? There's a golden type and then there's a more clear type, and I'm not sure if one would be better for the eye area over the other. I know that technically jojoba oil is a wax, so I wonder if that would be better at not clouding the vision?

Can you tell us about your own bi-phase makeup remover? Is it one you make? Kind of like the one I made with the coconut oil, water, and baby shampoo?

I love my mix, but  I find that I'm having a harder time removing Tarte's Lights Camera Lashes mascara (not the waterproof kind) with my mix. I wonder if that's because it has more wax in it? Hmmm... I'll try the washcloth method.

I detest wipes- they really do not remove everything and are harsh for rubbing on the lashes. I only use them on my face for a pre-cleanse occassionally if I'm really tired, but I still wash my face afterwards, and I stay away from my eyes when using them.

Can you tell us about your own bi-phase makeup remover? Is it one you make? Kind of like the one I made with the coconut oil, water, and baby shampoo?
It's a mix of hydrosols, panthenol (pro vitamin B5), some plant & other extracts & a couple of plant based oils that are very good for the eye area. It gets everything off without leaving my vision cloudy at all, even though there are oils in it. I just hold a saturated cotton pad over my eye for about 20 seconds, then gently wipe. I'd never use baby shampoo simply because it's a very harsh detergent, and completely unnecessary. Eventually, you're going to see damage to the skin around your eye area. If you feel you *must* use something like a shampoo or a soap - but I am 100% sure you don't need this - use pure castile soap with zero fragrance or essential oils in it. It's made from olive oil & much more gentle on the skin, lashes, everything. Use the smallest amount possible, though. If it's foaming up on your eye, you're using far too much. You only want the tiniest amount to help break down the bonds your makeup has made on your eyes, no more.

Quote: Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you feel you *must* use something like a shampoo or a soap - but I am 100% sure you don't need this - use pure castile soap with zero fragrance or essential oils in it. It's made from olive oil & much more gentle on the skin, lashes, everything. Use the smallest amount possible, though. If it's foaming up on your eye, you're using far too much. You only want the tiniest amount to help break down the bonds your makeup has made on your eyes, no more.
Hmm, perhaps I should either forego it (although I think some sort of surfactant really helps in removal, though you're right, it's very harsh especially for the eye area) or switch to Dr. Bronner's baby castile soap.

However, now I'm intrigued with your mixture. I can make my own hydrosol using this DIY floral water: http://thebeautydepartment.com/2013/03/floral-water-spray/ Do you think this would be sufficient?

And I think I won't add too many plant extracts as I don't want to irritate my eye area much. Which do you use? I think lavender would be decent enough, as it's one essential oil that is safe to use directly on skin, but perhaps others would work better when diluted into your concoction.

What do you use for the panthenol? And what is the ratio of each ingredient you use for your mixture, if you don't mind sharing?

This is very interesting, I'll give your mixture a go and see how it is for my eye area.

When I'm referring to plant extracts, I don't mean essential oils. I personally wouldn't use any essential oils in a product like this. Not for anything around the eye area, ever. Lavender is one of the safest essential oils & is incredibly effective for many issues related to skin, as well as various types of injuries such as burns/cuts/scrapes/bites/etc, but the eye area is very different from the rest of the face/scalp/body. I took a quick look at the website you posted the link to. No reason you couldn't do the same thing. Give it a shot. I've gotten some of my best results through simple trial & error. You'd be better off using the resulting product from this procedure, rather than any essential oils. As to panthenol, I just add it to my formula. That's it. I don't manufacture it myself. That would very likely be impossible. I wouldn't even consider attempting this. I'd suggest you look more into surfactants which are available to people working in this field on a smaller scale. I was at my local suppliers the other day & noticed they've started carrying more & more of these ingredients & selling them in large quantities. At the moment, I'm not comfortable using any of them until I know exactly how they're manufactured & *which* raw materials they're manufactured from. Regarding the ratio of ingredients I use, as well as a complete list of ingredients and exactly what I use to put it all together, I'm not willing to share that info. Sorry. It's something that I do sell, & it took me a lot of personal research time & experimentation with herbs, hydrosols, plant extracts, essential oils & other ingredients over the years to develop a formula that's as effective - if not superior to - typically mass-manufactured products. It's something I've really had to work at for 20+ years, simply because I love working with natural ingredients. So far, I've come up with several product formulas that I'm happy with & which other people like. But it didn't come overnight :) At the moment, I'm not interested in selling on a large scale, which I was doing some of many years ago before I moved overseas, because I'm aware of the dedication & amount of work involved. And I don't trust anybody to oversee a lot of the aspects involved in doing this again. There are those who are too lazy to develop their own knowledge & who just want to temporarily come in, pilfer other people's years of hard work while they're employed by a company, and then move on to start their own business. I'd definitely encourage you to keep researching & experimenting because the more of us that become educated in these fields, the better the products will be that are available to everybody on a larger scale. An example would be indie mineral makeup producers, which some years ago were virtually unheard of, which are a very important part of the cosmetics & skin care market now. They've helped women - and men - realize that high quality products are possible for even an individual person to make. They've gotten popular enough that much larger companies have been trying for quite some time now to hone in on people's interest in more natural products of higher quality, just to make a quick buck, by falsely labeling their own rubbish as 'natural mineral makeup', while still using cheap fillers & crappy ingredients which commonly cause allergic reactions, acne etc. They've unfortunately been doing this on the backs of these smaller manufacturers, although most larger companies have done an incredibly shitty job of it. Anyways, good luck & let me know how it goes with your own makeup remover formulation. You can PM me any time :)

Have you tried the Aveeno Ultra Calming makeup remover wipes? I just tried it yesterday and it effectively removed all of my face makeup and mascara. I like this one because the cloth is thick and there is a lot of makeup removing lotion in the cloth, it is very "wet". I prefer it to Neutrogena and Ponds.

Baby Oil! Use a cotton pad, gently & patiently rub your eye, and gradually it comes off! Baby Oil is cheap!

When it comes to actual makeup remover. I think Shiseido's Eye and Lip Makeup Remover is by far the BEST! It takes everything off like magic, but...it's pretty expensive :/

Latest posts

Back