Ways to Maintain Crazy Colored Hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have turquoise hair with also dark blue shades here & there, im already mixing my conditioner with some left over dye about once a month but it seems to fade even faster? :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I have turquoise hair with also dark blue shades here & there, im already mixing my conditioner with some left over dye about once a month but it seems to fade even faster? :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
First, make sure your shampoo is absolutely sulfate-free. Sulfates strip hair dye. Use the conditioner/dye mixture once a week. You can leave it on for a while like a hair mask.

What dye do you use? I'm my experience, Manic Panic and unnatural salon dues do not last long at all. If you plan on staying blue for a while, I've had great success with the Ion line at Sally's, along with N Rage/RAW Color (same brand, just depends on whether you buy it at Sally's or hot topic). I've had Ion Aqua in for about a month with minimal fading. Using a sulfate-free shampoo helps, as well as not washing your hair everyday, and rinsing with cold water when you do. (As cold as you can stand, whether that means lukewarm or ice water is up to you.)

I've been dyeing my hair all the colors for over a decade. I'm not a pro, but I do have some tips that might be helpful.

• As a poster above mentioned, make absolutely sure to stop using products with sodium laurel sulfate. It's a harsh detergent that strips not only the color, but your hair's natural oils as well. This makes hair more frizzy and dry, and causes more split ends. Seriously, it's the worst. It's in laundry detergent and dish-washing detergent. There's an adjustment period, when switching to SLS shampoos, where hair and scalp continue to produce the same amount of oil in an attempt to replenish what was being stripped away by SLS, but it's not very long, and usually not very intense. 

-The Yes To! brand has several SLS free shampoo and conditioner products. The Carrot ones are for general/frizzy hair, the Cucumber ones are for color-treated hair, and the Blueberry ones are for damaged hair. I've only tried the Cucumber one, but it worked well. Be warned, most SLS-free shampoos do not lather the way regular shampoo does. This makes it very easy to accidentally get it in your eyes.

-Organix' entire line is supposed to be SLS free. I'd double check the labels, as I haven't personally used all of them. What I have used has been fantastic, especially the deep-conditioners that come in tubs.

-L'Oreal has several SLS-free shampoos, and they're relatively inexpensive. I haven't tried any, though.

-Herbal Essences recently came out with a whole bunch of new products. Unfortunately, most of them contain SLS. However, the Naked Cleansing Conditioner and Color Me Happy Cleansing Conditioner do not.

-It's a 10 is a brand that I have never gotten a disappointing product from. I love their Miracle Leave-In, and their Deep Conditioning Treatment, although both are quite pricey for drugstore items. They carry a SLS-free shampoo called Miracle Moisture Shampoo SF. I haven't tried it, but I'm willing to bet it's amazing, like the rest of their products.

-Bumble & Bumble has a SLS-free shampoo called Color-Minded. I used it for a while, before I quit shampoo altogether, and it was a definite improvement over some of the cheaper SLS-free shampoos. Not all of their shampoos are SLS-free, so be careful if you check them out. 

• ​Another thing you can do to help color last longer is to ditch shampoo entirely. I personally haven't used shampoo for.. well, about two years. There is an adjustment period with this method, too, no matter if you use cleansing conditioners or just use conditioner. Both cleansing conditioners and regular conditioner work because you apply them, then spend several minutes rubbing around your scalp and hair, dislodging dirt and removing sweat and such, which then rinse away with the conditioner. My hair is much healthier, less frizzy and brittle, and I have less split ends. 

-WEN Cleansing Conditioner is one of the most popular cleansing conditioners, and the first one to become mainstream. It works well, but is very pricey. If you do decide to purchase some, check eBay and get the largest bottle they have. That will give you the most bang for your buck. It's what I currently use, although I don't use it every time I wash my hair.

-Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner is another good one I've used. I stopped because it didn't help my waves get any curlier, as it's designed more for people with natural curl. 

-As I mentioned above, Herbal Essences recently came out with two cleansing conditioners, one specifically for color-treated hair. I haven't used them, but I've heard good things so far. 

-Renpure Solutions Cleansing Conditioner is a super-affordable cleansing conditioner that has good reviews. I plan on trying it once my giant bottle of WEN is gone.

• Washing your hair less often can not only delay fading, but it can also help your hair's health. I'm not suggesting you go stinky in the name of vibrant hair, mind you. Hair just doesn't need to be washed every day, assuming you're not getting incredibly sweaty, or somehow getting your hair very dirty. I just put a shower cap over my hair before I get in the shower on days where I'm not going to wash it. Currently, since my hair is used to not being shampooed, I only wash it every other day, or every third day.
    Dry shampoo can help make slept-on hair easier to restyle.

• Instead of mixing dye with conditioner and applying it (unless you're using the conditioner as a dilution agent for the dye), simply reapply the dye and let it do its thing again. Dyes like this are not lifting, they're staining, which doesn't damage your hair. If you are mixing conditioner for dilution purposes, you might try a higher color-to-conditioner ratio, and see how you like the still-diluted-but-not-as-much color, since it will fade to what you're currently getting anyway.

• You can also experiment with leaving the dye on for longer periods of time, if you haven't already. The longer the dye is in contact with your hair, the more time it has to saturate, penetrate, and stain. I know someone who applies staining dyes and a showercap, then puts on a beanie cap to protect the sheets and leaves it on overnight. I wouldn't suggest doing that, myself. 

• Warmth helps the dye do its job. Applying a disposable shower cap helps hold in the warmth of your scalp. As does wrapping a plastic shopping bag around your hair, if you run out of shower caps (speaking from experience). Wrapping a towel on top of that helps hold in even more heat.

• Manic Panic is, unfortunately, one of the fastest-fading brands. I personally haven't used the brands mentioned above, but I've found in my own hair color adventures that Crazy Colors lasts much longer, and Directions lasts even longer than that. I really encourage you to try different brands, to see what lasts the longest with your hair.

• Accept that fading happens, and you're going to have to redye eventually. The good news is you can change up colors. I personally go at least eight weeks between beaching, because it plays hell on my hair. For the first few weeks I use a brighter, more vibrant color first, when my hair is freshly bleached, and then I use a darker-but-still-vibrant color that hides my dark brown roots, or at least blends with them, for the last few weeks. 

Latest posts

Back