Sign in to follow this  
kawaiisofoxy

February No/Low-Buy 2014

February will be an extreme low-buy for me.  I am allowed to buy a tube of Pixie Epoxy.  That's it.  I don't think I'll run out of anything this month, and I certainly don't need to buy anything.  I'm also going to try to finish the last 10mL or so of a full bottle of perfume that I've had for way too long.  As much as I love perfume, I need to use up more before buying any new.

Did good in January, February is gonna be a little tough for me because it is my husband's birthday this month. That being said I plan on only spending money on him and my 1 birchbox sub. I am trying to get my Credit card all paid off before I put anymore on it. Plus we are gonna buy a new house soon so I want to be able to have money to buy pretty things for the new house. 

Goals:

-Don't buy excess things for the kids

-Don't eat out

-Don't buy any new books until you read the ones you have

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!

I am continuing my extreme life low buy. I am allowed

-The 3 sub boxes I am already subscribed to, no additions.

- Food from the grocery store, and to eat out 10 times or less (this is what I failed on last month but it's a short month, I can do it!)

- Other 'essentials' like utilities, rent, cable and internet, toilet paper, tampons, razors, food for the cats, necessary medical bills... 

-The Sherlock limited edition tin if geek chic cosmetics re-releases it as a Valentine's/birthday present to myself

-I can go see Frozen in the theaters because I think I've wanted to see  it long enough that it can be justified, even though I usually think it's a waste to see movie in the theaters...

and that's it.... we'll see how I do.

My plan for February is to try to make it another no buy month like January (excluding sub boxes).  My goal for the year is actually a low buy: 1 high end and 1 drugstore item per month but if I don't buy items during a particular month, I can roll-over my purchases.

So my rules for myself are:

1) Low buy as above for makeup but try for another no buy month.

2) My three sub boxes are ok.  I actually only pay for 2 per month since I bought a year of Birchbox in either Oct or Nov.

3) No buy for shower gels, soaps, and lotions so I can reduce the stash that I have already.

4) I can replace things that run out if I have no other items in that category.  For example, I only have 2 foundations, so I figure I'll be buying foundation sometime this year.

5) Right now I have no rules for fragrance.  Although I love fragrance, I'm picky so I don't tend to overbuy it.

6) I can buy something makeup related that doesn't count towards my allowance with my $10 in CVS extra bucks that expire in late Feb.  I'm wanting one of the new Maybelline nude lipsticks if they ever show up in one of my local CVSs.

Ok for January I spent more then I should have but less then I would have if I wasn't posting here. I bought 2 body washes that were 2.99 each at tjmaxx, dove deep conditioner, laura gellar foundation and blush, and.... I caved after I read a blog review about wet n wilds foundation. It was buy one get one half off so I also got the matching powder. My goal for this month is to spend less then $25 on beauty related items. I don't REALLY need anything but I don't really spend money in other areas so this is my entertainment budget I suppose? Also- I want to spend less money on fast food. It's hard because my job has me traveling and I'm on the road inbetween appointments and I have to use the restroom and I feel awkward not getting at least a drink

My goals for the month: No buy on everything but essentials. Continue using up all my stash. Tomorrow is sample Saturday. I try to get out multiple foils and deluxe samples and use them up. List out one if my boxes of nail polish and put it on my spreadsheet. I'm fighting a cold right now so I don't feel doing anything but drinking hot tea and watching movies on the couch.

Well I may have fallen off the wagon 2x in January (every other week really lol) but I hope that I can keep the no-buy momentum going from the end of January into February. I plan on returning a LOT of stuff that I have impulse bought in the last few months as many of them were things I came to regret, if not outright loathe. With that influx of refunds I will be receiving I only plan to make three purchases and put the rest into savings. One purchase will be a wine colored lip liner (MAC Vino, most likely) as I do not own anything like that and have quite a few wine colors that I love to wear but take me forever to apply because I spend so much time cleaning up my application :( I know the lip liner will make life easier in that respect. The other purchases will be cleansing oil as that is my primary method of makeup removal, and another tube of my HG lip balm. 

I will continue to not buy:

-Eyeshadow

-Lipstick (Big one for me. I just cut my stash in half. I don't want to add anything else.)

-Blush (Again, I did some purging in this area. I refuse to add new clutter.)

-Foundation/powder/mascara/eyeliner (I will probably need some more in a month but I'm good to go otherwise.)

I'm going to be getting new glasses this month and I really don't have the money to spare on makeup that's going to take forever and an age to finish. 

Extending my no buy into other life domains--I really want to cut down on my grocery shopping. I spend a pretty penny in this area on a weekly basis and know that I could do better. 

I'm very nervous about this month's no-buy because as I said in another thread, February is brutal and I find myself going into turbo-hauling mode during this month. I hope to turn my energy elsewhere this month so that I'm too distracted to be desperate for a makeup fix!

After a so-so January...goals for February: 1. Keep on with the no more eyeshadow rule. Doing well in that so far! 2. Keep up with the Monday Club to help de-stash, use stuff up, and toss stuff I truly don't like/ can't use 3. NO MORE SKINCARE (*with the exception of a bottle of purity made simple because I'm almost out). I sorta subbed skin care for makeup buying last month and now I'm overwhelmed. 4. Use up some freaking samples. Toooo many in my stash. Use at least 2 a week. 5. STOP. GOING. OUT. TO. EAT. This is a huge issue because work is stressing me out and I hate cooking. The last thing I want to do is cook when I get home. Made a pact with the husband to try and make it until valentines day with no eating out! Now to stick with it...we'd save so much money. 6. Keep going on project pan for my ammo palette. Sin is so close I can feel it, now to work down the other 2 a bit. 7. No drugstore makeup 8. No bath and body works orders ALLOWED FOR THE MONTH: 1. The aforementioned face wash 2. one bottle of perfume and one bottle of cologne for the husband during sephoras points bonus. 3. One concealer purchase because I currently have nothing that works how I want it to.

• Like 1

February Rules:

I'm allowed to buy:

-lipbalm: I'm almost out of mine.

-BB Cream or Foundation: Again, almost out of mine.

Not allowed:

-Eyeshadow

-Blush

-Lipstick and gloss

In January I saw so many things I wanted but only bought essentials! I reorganized my stash and it is helping A LOT. Like I put a gloss and lipstick that I want to use up in my purse so whenever I am out and my lipstick has worn off I'm forced to use those. It is actually working! And I see my two half-used foundations sitting at the top of my organizer every day which helps keep me in check when I'm coveting the latest BB cream. Reorganizing also helps me see everything I own better, which makes it all easier to rotate because I get ideas from seeing it and also I'm not overwhelmed by the clutter. I'm not setting hard-and-fast rules for February but I'm happy with the past month so I will use that as motivation to keep it up this month.

I'm on a makeup/skincare no-buy through March.  I bought nothing in January, so that was good.  My wish list is growing, but hopefully everything will be available April 1st so I can buy one or two items from it.  There is zero risk of me running out of anything, plus I have my subscription boxes to tide me over (Birchbox, Eco-Emi, Julep, Le Metier de Beaute), so I really don't feel deprived.  January was a good month overall, as I was disciplined in eating/exercising/not buying.  Yeah me!

For February I am not allowed to buy any makeup, nail polish or skin care. This is my last month of 2 birchboxes then I'm back down to one (which is prepaid through September). I ordered the Feb popsugar box so between that and the birchboxes I will have some new things to play with. If I really really want something I can use my ulta gift card from xmas (I also have points accumulated) but if I can wait I want to save it for my birthday month in April because I will set a limited beauty budget for myself that month. Not beauty related but I also need to get back on a regular work out schedule. Have been slacking the last couple months and noticed a lot of my pants getting tighter lol. Oh yeah and no clothes purchases allowed this month either. It's a short month, I can do this! :) Edited to add no perfume, lotion and other bath/body products to list of things I cannot buy this month!

I'll at least try a low buy this month. Also, continue selling stuff on eBay. For January, I sold a total of 35 items for a total of $560! I get less than this though, cause eBay takes 10%, then paypal ~6% i think, plus shipping expense, but it's still a lot. Right now I have $260 worth of stuff listed, which I'll keep adding to in the next few days. I just have so much already! No makeup purchases, and no body butters and shower gels! I bought so much bath and body stuff lately that I'm now swamped with them (and I started with 0 shower gels and used to completely use up my body moisturizer before buying a replacement..sigh..) I'm still very tempted with perfume purchases though. I'll ask my bf if he can get me the Prada Candy for valentine's :P (i'm also stalking dior j'adore and gucci flora on eBay and everywhere else) I have a gift card in sephora and i'm allowed to use that. But I think most importantly, spend less time thinking about my next purchases! 

Oh, also, maybe BUY SOME CLOTHES! I literally rotate through 8 shirts that i regularly wear to work/school. i HATE clothes shopping though. it feels like work to me :|

I did really well in January until the very end of the month. I didn't really buy any non-giftcard makeup items aside from my Ipsy and Blush box, which I planned to keep. At the end of the month, however, I bought the half price Pop Sugar box, 3 Birchbox subs (so many points), and 2 Memeboxes. For February, I cancelled Ipsy and will most likely cancel all 3 Birchboxes (or at least 2) and Pop Sugar after this month. I am still going to keep Blush until I can convince myself I don't need it, and I will probably allow myself to buy another Memebox if I like the 2 I already bought. 

My main goal for February is to start selling my excess makeup and continue organizing/purging items I have in my house. I was able to donate 5 bags of clothes after working on organizing my closet in January. Some of the clothes were my Mom's clothes. She passed away in 2011, and it's been really hard to give up her things, but I honestly wasn't ever going to wear a lot of it, and I have plenty of her possessions that are actually meaningful. 

I also will continue to try to use up makeup/skincare items I have. I actually used up a lot of stuff in January. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagicRose View Post

I did really well in January until the very end of the month. I didn't really buy any non-giftcard makeup items aside from my Ipsy and Blush box, which I planned to keep. At the end of the month, however, I bought the half price Pop Sugar box, 3 Birchbox subs (so many points), and 2 Memeboxes. For February, I cancelled Ipsy and will most likely cancel all 3 Birchboxes (or at least 2) and Pop Sugar after this month. I am still going to keep Blush until I can convince myself I don't need it, and I will probably allow myself to buy another Memebox if I like the 2 I already bought. 

My main goal for February is to start selling my excess makeup and continue organizing/purging items I have in my house. I was able to donate 5 bags of clothes after working on organizing my closet in January. Some of the clothes were my Mom's clothes. She passed away in 2011, and it's been really hard to give up her things, but I honestly wasn't ever going to wear a lot of it, and I have plenty of her possessions that are actually meaningful. 

I also will continue to try to use up makeup/skincare items I have. I actually used up a lot of stuff in January. 

I want to cut my use of make-up, too, because it is already eating up a lot of my budget. I want to work with better make-up deals so I am collecting coupons. On the one side, I want to work with non-toxic materials so I try hard to read and find reviews of the products before I use them. I think I will find more tips in this forum. This is such a great place. 

I'll at least try a low buy this month. Also, continue selling stuff on eBay. For January, I sold a total of 35 items for a total of $560! I get less than this though, cause eBay takes 10%, then paypal ~6% i think, plus shipping expense, but it's still a lot. Right now I have $260 worth of stuff listed, which I'll keep adding to in the next few days. I just have so much already! No makeup purchases, and no body butters and shower gels! I bought so much bath and body stuff lately that I'm now swamped with them (and I started with 0 shower gels and used to completely use up my body moisturizer before buying a replacement..sigh..) I'm still very tempted with perfume purchases though. I'll ask my bf if he can get me the Prada Candy for valentine's :P (i'm also stalking dior j'adore and gucci flora on eBay and everywhere else) I have a gift card in sephora and i'm allowed to use that. But I think most importantly, spend less time thinking about my next purchases!  Oh, also, maybe BUY SOME CLOTHES! I literally rotate through 8 shirts that i regularly wear to work/school. i HATE clothes shopping though. it feels like work to me :|
If you don't mind me asking- what kind of stuff did you sell on ebay to make that kind of money?!?! I just sold some old textbooks on amazon and got close to $200....and I'm looking around my house wondering what else I could possibly sell!!! This could become my new addiction!

I was wondering if anyone happened to have any cheap shaving ideas. I just went to the store this morning for refill cartridges on my blades and it was $20.00 for 6.... Am I the only one that thinks that's pricey?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielp View Post

I was wondering if anyone happened to have any cheap shaving ideas. I just went to the store this morning for refill cartridges on my blades and it was $20.00 for 6.... Am I the only one that thinks that's pricey?!

I haven't tried them, but I've heard nothing but awesome things about them:  http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

Make sure you watch the video even if you have no interest in the subscription!  It's just entertaining.  And f**king great.  There are three different versions:  $1/month for five twin-blade cartridges; $6/month for four four-blade cartridges (this is the one they recommend for men *and* women); $9/month for four six-blade cartridges.  The first month includes the handle for free.  I plan on signing up in March since I won't need new blades until then.

(Please excuse any typos.  I just had this for lunch, and it took a little while to really kick in: 

)
  • Like 1

Quote:

If you don't mind me asking- what kind of stuff did you sell on ebay to make that kind of money?!?!

I just sold some old textbooks on amazon and got close to $200....and I'm looking around my house wondering what else I could possibly sell!!! This could become my new addiction!

Beauty stuff! makeup i never even got to open (or that came in sets and i have duplicates of or i know i'm not going to use), skincare items (after realizing that i don't go through these very fast, and that i tend to change brands all the time), bath/body (for example, some korres travel body butters), perfume samples (i have so much more of these to list, but i tend to hoard them as well and don't sell them lol), beauty samples that i compiled and sold as a lot (for example, i successfully sold a lot of Benefit samples that includes 2 travel mascaras, and a bunch of foil samples for $18)! selling on ebay is quite addicting and i do enjoy it. it's also a lot of responsibility. i didn't imagine that i'll be selling this much, but it adds up fast!

Do you coupon? I only buy them if they're on sale + a coupon. Usually there's B1G1 coupons out there for good razors (Venus, the nicer bic ones). I know it's super late but maybe your target has those holiday gift packs still on sure clearance. They ususally have a few brands that do bundle packs with a good number of razors and/or cartridges.

I haven't tried them, but I've heard nothing but awesome things about them:  http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ Make sure you watch the video even if you have no interest in the subscription!  It's just entertaining.  And f**king great.  There are three different versions:  $1/month for five twin-blade cartridges; $6/month for four four-blade cartridges (this is the one they recommend for men *and* women); $9/month for four six-blade cartridges.  The first month includes the handle for free.  I plan on signing up in March since I won't need new blades until then. (Please excuse any typos.  I just had this for lunch, and it took a little while to really kick in:  http://instagram.com/p/j4ytBNOInf/)
Oh my god. I'm dying. That video is hilarious!!! Def looking into this! Thanks for sharing Yummy lunch!

Beauty stuff! makeup i never even got to open (or that came in sets and i have duplicates of or i know i'm not going to use), skincare items (after realizing that i don't go through these very fast, and that i tend to change brands all the time), bath/body (for example, some korres travel body butters), perfume samples (i have so much more of these to list, but i tend to hoard them as well and don't sell them lol), beauty samples that i compiled and sold as a lot (for example, i successfully sold a lot of Benefit samples that includes 2 travel mascaras, and a bunch of foil samples for $18)! selling on ebay is quite addicting and i do enjoy it. it's also a lot of responsibility. i didn't imagine that i'll be selling this much, but it adds up fast!
Thanks for responding. I have similar stuff I could sell...does it seem to work better putting it on auction or giving a but it now price?

Do you coupon? I only buy them if they're on sale + a coupon. Usually there's B1G1 coupons out there for good razors (Venus, the nicer bic ones). I know it's super late but maybe your target has those holiday gift packs still on sure clearance. They ususally have a few brands that do bundle packs with a good number of razors and/or cartridges.
I somewhat coupon. But I've only ever seen coupons that are like 5$ off when you purchase razor AND blades. But I already have the razor.

Quote:

Thanks for responding. I have similar stuff I could sell...does it seem to work better putting it on auction or giving a but it now price?

i list all my items as 'buy it now'. it seems to work better on this kind of stuff. i like that i know exactly how much i'm getting. as a shopper, i also prefer 'buy it now'