Sign in to follow this  
kawaiisofoxy

February No/Low-Buy 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsalt View Post

Since eBay selling has come up on the thread this month...a question for you sellers. Do you think it is worth the hassle to break up a huge lot into several smaller ones? I'm assuming that packaging them smaller or brand-oriented would be better, but I'm wondering if it would really be worth the extra effort to post them and ship them in smaller groups. I just want this stuff OUT of my house! Haha. 

If you receive offers for individual items, I'd go ahead and break up the lot. I've done that twice and the stuff that remained sold eventually.

Update: after using one Boscia pore strip last night, the Clarisonic deep pore brush head this morning, and the Boscia black mask tonight, my pores feel much better. Still need a few days' work, but now I don't feel so bad about dropping the money on this stuff. For those who have tried the mask, did you actually see anything on it after pulling it off? Mine only had air bubbles on it.

• Like 1

I'm putting myself on a no buy this month. Last month I don't even want to know how much I spent after IMATS and ISSE and couple trips to Ulta. It's been 8 days, so far so good. 

Gah, this weather is making me really cranky.  On the up side, I don't even want to browse online.  I have a credit on amazon, and I can't find anything I want to spend it on!  I can't set foot outside of my apartment because my stairs and landing are under half an inch of ice!  I can't see the bottom three steps due to the snow!  At this point, all I want is a pizza, and even if I could get outside, I'm pretty sure the pizza place is closed because we're under a city-wide emergency alert to stay inside due to the ice.  It's warming up, which is good because that means the snow on top is melting, but it's bad because that means that the ground under the snow is a city-sized luge run because the water just freezes once it goes down through the snow and hits the ground.  

(On the up side, I'm watching a whole lot of _Fringe_.  I was determined to finish it before the winter is over.  At the rate I'm going through these episodes, I'll probably be done with it before the snow melts.  And the kitties are being super snuggle.  Uh.  Well.  I'm not quite sure that's an up side.  Ed likes to kind of lunge at my head/neck and nuzzle.  And try to eat my hair.  Oz just kind of shoves himself under my chin and sits on my chest.  All eighteen-plus pounds of him.  They're both lickers.  They have all of the batshits.)

My point was...  Oh, screw it.  I have no point.  I have cabin fever.  And possibly no way to get to out of my apartment tomorrow morning.  It's supposed to stay above freezing for as long as the forecast runs, but there's a *lot* of ice on my stairs and driveway.  Time to get out the hammer and see if I can break up the ice on at least the landing.

I have to get back to this forum. Somehow Instagram has me browsing makeup again and that's a dangerous habit. I am going on a no buy for the rest of the month as well and let my allowance sit there for next month. The only thing I will allow myself to get is illamasquas blush in lover, because I have a birthday gift card with just enough $$ in it to cover it, that and the sephora birthday gift they give out, which is surprisingly a nice one: a lippie and mini mascara from mufe. Then a sampler pack from BPAL with another gift card from a friend. I've never tried their perfumes so it should be interesting. Other than that though, not allowed anything else. I'm trying to find ways to play with what I already have and part of my anxiety I think is also cabin fever. Like I'm itchy to find something to do, and MU seems like the only outlet right now, but that's not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylilee View Post

I have to get back to this forum. Somehow Instagram has me browsing makeup again and that's a dangerous habit. I am going on a no buy for the rest of the month as well and let my allowance sit there for next month. The only thing I will allow myself to get is illamasquas blush in lover, because I have a birthday gift card with just enough $$ in it to cover it, that and the sephora birthday gift they give out, which is surprisingly a nice one: a lippie and mini mascara from mufe. Then a sampler pack from BPAL with another gift card from a friend. I've never tried their perfumes so it should be interesting. Other than that though, not allowed anything else.

I'm trying to find ways to play with what I already have and part of my anxiety I think is also cabin fever. Like I'm itchy to find something to do, and MU seems like the only outlet right now, but that's not good.

Ooh, what BPAL did you get/are you getting?  I actually need to go buy stuff for a V-Day swap hosted on bpal.org (the fan forum, not the official Lab site), but, well, not happening this weekend.  I can spend *days* talking about BPAL.  Actually, honestly, years.  I've been over on bpal.org since 2007!  In fact, I'm going to go through my imp stash in just a few minutes to send off a starter kit to a MUT-er.  It may or may not get in the mail tomorrow.  It all depends on whether I can get down my stairs without breaking bones tomorrow.  I did manage to get about a third of my stairs cleared using a hammer and a mop handle (trying to channel my inner Macgyver because, ugh, can I go *anywhere* now?  Even just to my car to get the box o'kitty litter I'm pretty sure is in there would be awesome.  Cat poop keeps on coming regardless of the weather!), but the ice on the rest is still far too solid for me to break up right now.  And I couldn't hold the hammer or mop handle any more.  The vibrations were really starting to bother my hands.  

(I'm going into Fred Meyer withdrawals. I think I really just want some fresh fruit/vegetables.  I'm starting to seriously fantasize about apples and tangerines.  And salad.  And some good hot cocoa.  I accidentally bought the stuff with Sucralose.  That crap tastes like licorice to me.  Oh!  I bought some carrots last time I went grocery shopping!  They might still be edible!  Time to check on those!)

Ooh, what BPAL did you get/are you getting?  I actually need to go buy stuff for a V-Day swap hosted on bpal.org (the fan forum, not the official Lab site), but, well, not happening this weekend.  I can spend *days* talking about BPAL.  Actually, honestly, years.  I've been over on bpal.org since 2007!  In fact, I'm going to go through my imp stash in just a few minutes to send off a starter kit to a MUT-er.  It may or may not get in the mail tomorrow.  It all depends on whether I can get down my stairs without breaking bones tomorrow.  I did manage to get about a third of my stairs cleared using a hammer and a mop handle (trying to channel my inner Macgyver because, ugh, can I go *anywhere* now?  Even just to my car to get the box o'kitty litter I'm pretty sure is in there would be awesome.  Cat poop keeps on coming regardless of the weather!), but the ice on the rest is still far too solid for me to break up right now.  And I couldn't hold the hammer or mop handle any more.  The vibrations were really starting to bother my hands.   (I'm going into Fred Meyer withdrawals. I think I really just want some fresh fruit/vegetables.  I'm starting to seriously fantasize about apples and tangerines.  And salad.  And some good hot cocoa.  I accidentally bought the stuff with Sucralose.  That crap tastes like licorice to me.  Oh!  I bought some carrots last time I went grocery shopping!  They might still be edible!  Time to check on those!)
Ohhh someone who knows bpal! Maybe I can get your input. I am not sure what to get yet. I know they have kind of pre-arranged starter packs by theme and I'm thinking of something lightly floral or fruity, but grounded and not overly sweet. Any ideas?? I'm looking for spring recommendations. I found bpal a year ago but haven't pulled the trigger on getting anything, though I've been eyeing the imps for a while. I love perfumes!

i think for me, selling on ebay helps me a lot in slowing down my spending. doing all the work required in selling through ebay kinda makes me want to hold on to my money more! i'm still buying stuff, but less. also, placing small orders helps me too.. not necessarily small orders at sephora, but mostly buying travel sizes in ebay etc., other websites with free shipping code, etc... then just placing one order a day (or none at all). i know it still adds up, but it's much better this way, at least for now. i sold $420 of stuff so far in february, and definitely spent less than that (for february), so it's going well! i'll keep on lessening the amount of money i spent buying stuff....just keep working at it! :) 

• Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saku View Post

i think for me, selling on ebay helps me a lot in slowing down my spending. doing all the work required in selling through ebay kinda makes me want to hold on to my money more! i'm still buying stuff, but less. also, placing small orders helps me too.. not necessarily small orders at sephora, but mostly buying travel sizes in ebay etc., other websites with free shipping code, etc... then just placing one order a day (or none at all). i know it still adds up, but it's much better this way, at least for now. i sold $420 of stuff so far in february, and definitely spent less than that (for february), so it's going well! i'll keep on lessening the amount of money i spent buying stuff....just keep working at it! :) 

Dang girl, that's awesome! Congratulations! I need to sell some stuff on Ebay soon.... I'm just so caught up at my job right now and with my class, and personal problems, it's a bit too hard to tackle everything!

Luckily, ladies, we only have..... 19 days left, not to bad!!!

I'm doing pretty damn good on my no-buy. Instead of caving and getting the 3x points on perfume for the Lavanila rollerball and travel-size deodorant, I may get myself a vanilla essential oil.... we'll see.

I did go grocery shopping today, and kind of couldn't help but look at the makeup aisle. I bought an ecotools brush set called the 'eye enhancing duo set' that I already have and love and use daily, so I figured it'd be nice to have a back-up at work or in my purse.

Other than that.... I'm doing great! I just have to get past V-day and I'll be good (that's when the 3x points on fragrance at sephora ends!!!)

Good luck this week, ladies!!!!

Quote:

Ohhh someone who knows bpal! Maybe I can get your input. I am not sure what to get yet. I know they have kind of pre-arranged starter packs by theme and I'm thinking of something lightly floral or fruity, but grounded and not overly sweet. Any ideas?? I'm looking for spring recommendations. I found bpal a year ago but haven't pulled the trigger on getting anything, though I've been eyeing the imps for a while. I love perfumes!

Ooh, springy fruity florals!  I'm not a fan of most florals (anything with "white" in the description is bottled STABBITY), but a few of my favorites:

• Tamora (the sandalwood pulls it in a lovely dry direction)
  • La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente (I need to get some more of this one, in fact)
  • Lolita (this might be a little sweet for you, but I love its melted lemon drops crossed with honeysuckle-ness)
  • Cheshire Cat (not super floral, but it's got some lovely herbs going on)
  • Alice (one of their most popular oils for a reason!  Not super fruity, but it's very lovely and comforting)
  • Bewitched (not a floral, but I still love it because it's a dead ringer for Republic of Tea Blackberry Sage to my nose)

Voodoo Lily gets an honorable mention.  It's not fruity, and it doesn't smell like a floral despite the fact that it is one, but I love its cola spiciness.  Yes, cola, even though it's actually a floral.

(My standard suggested beginner's pack:  Dragon's Milk, Snake Oil, Alice, Morocco, Dorian, and O, although I actually hate O and would personally go with The Raven, Voodoo Lily, or Cheshire Cat.  These are not all fruity-floral, though, which is why I didn't give this list in the first section.)

Ugh, I have more suggestions, but I spent a couple of hours hammering -- yup, with an actual hammer -- the ice off my stairs today.  My hands, wrists, and arms are *pissed* at me, and I can't type any more tonight.  I could barely hold a nail polish brush long enough to do my nails.  But at least now I can see *all* of my stairs!  I might get out of my apartment tomorrow after all!  And I'm exhausted even though I did pretty much nothing all day but watch yet more _Fringe_ and curse the ice.  Time for bed.  Here's hoping I wake up to a slushy city instead of an icy one!

WOW Way to go!!! That's amazing. I'm avoiding all websites that even remotely sell makeup at all costs, and on instagram I am only looking at tutorials and "looks" that I can try and recreate (who knows, maybe it'll spark some inspiration?), but definitely staying out of the makeuphaul hashtag. also the projectpan one is pretty inspiring.
Dang girl, that's awesome! Congratulations! I need to sell some stuff on Ebay soon.... I'm just so caught up at my job right now and with my class, and personal problems, it's a bit too hard to tackle everything! Luckily, ladies, we only have..... 19 days left, not to bad!!! I'm doing pretty damn good on my no-buy. Instead of caving and getting the 3x points on perfume for the Lavanila rollerball and travel-size deodorant, I may get myself a vanilla essential oil.... we'll see. I did go grocery shopping today, and kind of couldn't help but look at the makeup aisle. I bought an ecotools brush set called the 'eye enhancing duo set' that I already have and love and use daily, so I figured it'd be nice to have a back-up at work or in my purse. Other than that.... I'm doing great! I just have to get past V-day and I'll be good (that's when the 3x points on fragrance at sephora ends!!!) Good luck this week, ladies!!!!
vanilla always smells so delicious! though, on me, i think by the end of the day my skin amplifies the vanilla and it ends up being overly sweet...which is a shame, since anything too sweet = IMMEDIATE HEADACHE. My husband loves the smell on me, though lol. it's so hard to find one he likes and i love. @meaganola thank you lady! I'll check into this. and I agree. I was looking at the "white floral" thing and the list sounded migraine inducing. I am allowing myself this simply because my giftcard will cover the whole thing xD so I don't feel guilty. I am also trying to tread water carefully though, as I have heard once people start getting into bpal scents, it's addicting.

Quote:

WOW Way to go!!! That's amazing. I'm avoiding all websites that even remotely sell makeup at all costs, and on instagram I am only looking at tutorials and "looks" that I can try and recreate (who knows, maybe it'll spark some inspiration?), but definitely staying out of the makeuphaul hashtag. also the projectpan one is pretty inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastofthesun View Post

Dang girl, that's awesome! Congratulations! I need to sell some stuff on Ebay soon.... I'm just so caught up at my job right now and with my class, and personal problems, it's a bit too hard to tackle everything!

thanks a lot! though at this point (after selling more than $1000 of stuff on eBay within the past 2 months), i may have run out of things to sell (i have $300 worth listed right now)...unless i start selling things that i still do like! all this selling made me realize how much stuff i have that's not even opened, and not being used! and how much money i've locked up in my drawers (as makeup/beauty products).. i'm contemplating selling some UD eyeliners and bunch of lippies I've never tested, and more more stuff i've never even opened!...but that might make me sad and want to buy more..lol

Quote:

thanks a lot! though at this point (after selling more than $1000 of stuff on eBay within the past 2 months), i may have run out of things to sell (i have $300 worth listed right now)...unless i start selling things that i still do like! all this selling made me realize how much stuff i have that's not even opened, and not being used! and how much money i've locked up in my drawers (as makeup/beauty products).. i'm contemplating selling some UD eyeliners and bunch of lippies I've never tested, and more more stuff i've never even opened!...but that might make me sad and want to buy more..lol

remember that after you sell over a specific amount worth of stuff, you need to report taxes! so try and keep good records of all the stuff you've sold. don't wanna get in trouble with the IRA! (if you're in the states).

Ugh.  I feel the need to buy starting up.  We're going to have horrible weather this week (again!) and I'm in the South, which means *everything* shuts down!  And as much as I dearly love my children, being stuck inside with two very active, very bored little boys is going to drive me bonkers!  

I need to stay strong, though.  I have a PopSugar box waiting for me to open on Friday - It's my V-Day gift.  Yes, I know what's inside.  I'm just praying the, um... "large green item" (weird description is in case anyone on this thread got it and is staying spoiler free) stays intact and doesn't leak til then.  I also have an Ipsy box coming (peeked at my contents and VERY EXCITED as long as the color variations are good!) AND two Bichboxes (I activated an old account and cancelled/resigned up my main account during the 200-point glitch, and my box contents have not updated!  I'm going nuts!).  So, obviously, I don't NEED anything!

So, some coping mechanisms:  STAY OFF websites like Sephora and Ulta.  Really, stay off any online shopping sites.  Indulge shopping needs with buying boys' Valentines and helping them put cards together/addressed if school gets cancelled.  Look through craft stash and set up some activities, look through makeup/nail stash and set up some Mommy activities for when I can get them settled down with a blanket fort and a movie!  And continually remind myself that ever since my hubby and I both started being more careful about our money, our savings account has been much happier.  I can do it!

• Like 1

Quote:

remember that after you sell over a specific amount worth of stuff, you need to report taxes! so try and keep good records of all the stuff you've sold. don't wanna get in trouble with the IRA! (if you're in the states).

i started reading about it. interesting.... hobby vs business? profit or no profit?.... thanks for the tip! 

Quote:

i started reading about it. interesting.... hobby vs business? profit or no profit?.... thanks for the tip! 

if you're only selling stuff like this as a hobby and with no intention of making a profit over the long term (a business needs to make a profit 3 out of 5 years to be considered a business), and since you're only selling your makeup and not actually forming a business, it means you will have to pay taxes but not be able to deduct anything that would be considered business expenses. either way the IRS gets its cut xD if you fail to report, you could amass rather large penalties. 

(I'm a freelancing artist, so have had to look into this). 

Quote:

if you're only selling stuff like this as a hobby and with no intention of making a profit over the long term (a business needs to make a profit 3 out of 5 years to be considered a business), and since you're only selling your makeup and not actually forming a business, it means you will have to pay taxes but not be able to deduct anything that would be considered business expenses. either way the IRS gets its cut xD if you fail to report, you could amass rather large penalties. 

(I'm a freelancing artist, so have had to look into this). 

...also looks like you have to make profit. like, if i'm selling makeup to recoup my money (or some of it), then i'm not really gaining profit, and therefore no income? looks like this is a good resource page: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Tax-Tips-for-Online-Auction-Sellers  

sorry for being off-topic...from now on, i'll put OT stuff in a spoiler.

i feel the need to SELL EVERYTHING. i don't even have that much stuff (comparatively) - like...2 of those smaller stila palettes from this past black friday (gifts), Nars one night stand, Balm Jovi, Nude Tude, this small $10 UD one (ammo? i don't remember), and Joy to the Girls. Part of me wants to sell Joy to the GIrls because I used it 1x the day it came in from HSN annnd..haven't touched it since. I'm definitely more of a neutral kinda gal and I know the colors in any of my palettes aren't zomg crazy, but colors aren't something I'd wear on a regular basis!

Part of me even wants to try seeing if anyone on the instagram sales page would want to buy birchbox gift cards off of me (which i bought with points but that feels immoral somehow and I probably won't do it). I just have had no desire to get any new make up. I got the Revealed palette with points and now looking at my vast-to-me collection of neutrals, I feel like it was totally unnecessary!

Quote:

sorry for being off-topic...from now on, i'll put OT stuff in a spoiler.

oops! yes, I will do so as well.... though really, it's not that entirely off topic. this thread seems more of a free-for-all so long as it somehow relates to the no/low buy. 

So far so good on the no buy! However, I did still manage to spend $100 this weekend going out with my friends. I need to work on that.

I hear all of you who are complaining about this miserable winter. I feel like I'm losing my mind myself. I'm almost tempted to blow my savings on a trip to Florida just to get some Vitamin D but I won't of course :icon_razz 

In addition to the crappy weather, my refrigerator has suddenly stopped working. According to the appliance guys who came out here, the fridge has gone bad because of a system failure and my landlord will need to replace it because apparently fixing it costs almost as much as starting over. Unfortunately my landlord is taking his sweet time returning our calls and getting us informed as to when this is going to be fixed. We're going on a week now without a functioning fridge and I am so, so, so tired of either eating canned garbage that is chockfull of sodium or having to order out. Not to mention I had almost $100 worth of food in the freezer spoil on me. Needless to say, this is getting to be very, very expensive and not the best on a no-buy/low-buy for all aspects of life. I suppose I have a newfound appreciation for how essential refrigeration is to modern cooking. 

Also V-Day is coming up and my cliche, single self is kinda bummed. Both roomies have boyfriends who make a Big Freaking Deal out of this holiday and I really don't want to be around the house when they get showered with love while I sit bitterly in the living room with a huge bottle of wine lol. I don't really have any other single girl friends and I don't really have anywhere to go so it looks like wine and Netflix will be inevitable but hey, at least I have a reason to wear an offensively bright red lipstick to work! :icon_smil

Anyway, I failed on Saturday yet again, whoopsie. I ended up getting those two lippies I had been talking about before on the board. I want to feel like a failure but honestly, since I'm going through so much crap right now, they are a very nice treat to indulge in. I'm going to get back on the wagon but if these lippies are all I end up purchasing this month, then I don't feel terrible since that is 3 products less than how many I bought last month. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmane View Post

I hear all of you who are complaining about this miserable winter. I feel like I'm losing my mind myself. I'm almost tempted to blow my savings on a trip to Florida just to get some Vitamin D but I won't of course :icon_razz 

In addition to the crappy weather, my refrigerator has suddenly stopped working. According to the appliance guys who came out here, the fridge has gone bad because of a system failure and my landlord will need to replace it because apparently fixing it costs almost as much as starting over. Unfortunately my landlord is taking his sweet time returning our calls and getting us informed as to when this is going to be fixed. We're going on a week now without a functioning fridge and I am so, so, so tired of either eating canned garbage that is chockfull of sodium or having to order out. Not to mention I had almost $100 worth of food in the freezer spoil on me. Needless to say, this is getting to be very, very expensive and not the best on a no-buy/low-buy for all aspects of life. I suppose I have a newfound appreciation for how essential refrigeration is to modern cooking. 

Also V-Day is coming up and my cliche, single self is kinda bummed. Both roomies have boyfriends who make a Big Freaking Deal out of this holiday and I really don't want to be around the house when they get showered with love while I sit bitterly in the living room with a huge bottle of wine lol. I don't really have any other single girl friends and I don't really have anywhere to go so it looks like wine and Netflix will be inevitable but hey, at least I have a reason to wear an offensively bright red lipstick to work! :icon_smil

Anyway, I failed on Saturday yet again, whoopsie. I ended up getting those two lippies I had been talking about before on the board. I want to feel like a failure but honestly, since I'm going through so much crap right now, they are a very nice treat to indulge in. I'm going to get back on the wagon but if these lippies are all I end up purchasing this month, then I don't feel terrible since that is 3 products less than how many I bought last month. 

::hugs::  hugs3.gif

Sometime you just have to have a little pity party where you can then dust your self off and get back on that horse.   I think this weather is just about to do everybody in.  I know I'm feeling the effects of it. 

I haven't bought anything the past couples months besides refills so I picked up a few samples from the Shiro Game of Thrones collection and I might pick up some BPAL samples. Perfume and eyeshadow are two things I definitely don't need any more of buuuut quelling the urge with indie samples that I've never tried before are okay in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsealady View Post

::hugs::  hugs3.gif

Sometime you just have to have a little pity party where you can then dust your self off and get back on that horse.   I think this weather is just about to do everybody in.  I know I'm feeling the effects of it. 

hugs3.gif hugs back! :)

Thanks!! Spring could not get here soon enough :icon_razz