What makeup rules do you break??? You Rebel!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaraP

Put on some lipstick, you look half dead!
Reaction score
I just tried blue eyeliner for the first time since Jr High and it looks nice! I started to wonder what other things I could be missing out on by following the "rules".

Pair some orange eyeshadow with that blue eyeliner!  Blue and orange are complementary colors and look fantastic together. 

Basically, I ignore all of the rules set by other people.  I try it, and if I like it, I stick with it.  I completely disregard the rule that apparently states you *must* wear mascara.  I hate the stuff.  My eyelids *flip out* when I try to wear it.  I also refuse to wear black eyeliner, but hot pink eyeshadow?  It seems to be a big hit for me.  And blood red metallic eyeshadow!  Love it!  I frequently spend Sundays disregarding all makeup rules and experimenting like whoa.  It's how I hit upon one of my favorite eye combinations:  Shimmery chocolate brown on my lids, blood red metallic in the crease, and a darker brown liner.  I normally would have *never* tried red eyeshadow, but I was bored and tipsy one weekend, and I had just received a sample of Glamour Doll Eyes Lovers Lane, so I gave it a shot and fell in love.  Chocolate-covered cherries!  Or blood and mud! 

There are rules?

Lol, I just found out the other day that I shouldn't wear blue eyeshadow because I have green eyes.
icon_rolleyes.gif

And apparently you're only supposed to wear matte shades in your crease? I'm like, "GLITTER ALL OVA MY FACE!!!"

Plus, I can't tell the difference between a 'cool' red and a 'warm' red... Or which I should be looking for, for that matter. Oh, well.

Sometimes I wear neon lime green eyeshadow with cobalt eyeliner. I guess I'm just crazy.

I just...do whatever I want, lol.

I know some people frown upon applying foundation/bb cream with your fingers...but I love it. I always have clean hands (One pro to wearing contacts...lol) and a clean face, so I don't see the issue.

I'm a redhead and a lot of the time I disregard what most would consider "safe" or my natural characteristic....if I want to wear bright red or yellow eyeshadow, I do.

Oh, and sometimes I glue things to my face...lace, nail art stuff is especially fun (Spikes, studs, roses...)...I like gluing things to my face. =p

I love applying foundation with my hands. Unless you wash your brushes after each use I think your hands are cleaner. Color me orange n blue, thanks meganola I'll be trying that combo today. With Denver in the Super Bowl today everyone will think they're my team ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> when I'm really just breaking out of my comfort zone!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Pair some orange eyeshadow with that blue eyeliner!  Blue and orange are complementary colors and look fantastic together. 

Basically, I ignore all of the rules set by other people.  I try it, and if I like it, I stick with it.  I completely disregard the rule that apparently states you *must* wear mascara.  I hate the stuff.  My eyelids *flip out* when I try to wear it.  I also refuse to wear black eyeliner, but hot pink eyeshadow?  It seems to be a big hit for me.  And blood red metallic eyeshadow!  Love it!  I frequently spend Sundays disregarding all makeup rules and experimenting like whoa.  It's how I hit upon one of my favorite eye combinations:  Shimmery chocolate brown on my lids, blood red metallic in the crease, and a darker brown liner.  I normally would have *never* tried red eyeshadow, but I was bored and tipsy one weekend, and I had just received a sample of Glamour Doll Eyes Lovers Lane, so I gave it a shot and fell in love.  Chocolate-covered cherries!  Or blood and mud! 
I remember you posting the red/brown combination in another thread and it had become one of my favorite looks. I love it!

Sometimes I pair a really dark eye look with a really dark lipstick...or red sometimes. I don't care about that one or the other rule.

Quote: Originally Posted by MIKAGlam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I remember you posting the red/brown combination in another thread and it had become one of my favorite looks. I love it!

Sometimes I pair a really dark eye look with a really dark lipstick...or red sometimes. I don't care about that one or the other rule.
I do the same. I love a dark lip with dark eyes. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just used my mac paint pot in painterly under my eyes to cover my dark circles. The color and coverage was great under my normal concealer. Now will it stand the test of time and creasing..... 

CMA statement: I do not endorse, encourage, or suggest that anyone else try this. I am not a doctor. I'm broke so don't sue me.

I ignore about when to toss cosmetics. I have some pressed powder items over 10 years old that I still on occasion use. If it can be sharpened or sanitized I hang on to it.

I ignore trends, I don't care if "glowy", "shimmery" "dewy" are in style, it isn't a style I personally care for. I like my skin to look velvet matte so that's what I'm gonna do. I express myself in my choices of what suits me rather than what is in fashion. I also did this as a teen in the 80s which made me a "rebel" by avoiding all the bright garish makeup and clothes back then.

I use mascara only with very dark eyeshadows or with pink/mangenta colors. meanwhile, everyone around me thinks "only mascara is a makeup too" and "OMG, natural lashes?!" such comments are sooo annoying! about other rules - sometimes I think I should use them. but mostly not. I like to use my face as a canvas and paint on it whatever I want =P

I use mascara only with very dark eyeshadows or with pink/mangenta colors. meanwhile, everyone around me thinks "only mascara is a makeup too" and "OMG, natural lashes?!" such comments are sooo annoying! about other rules - sometimes I think I should use them. but mostly not. I like to use my face as a canvas and paint on it whatever I want =P
Do you have naturally dark lashes? Lucky if you do- mine are blonde and going without mascara (unless I'm wearing no eye makeup) just looks weird on me! If I had dark lashes I probably wouldn't bother with it either (on my lazy days when I don't glue a million things to my face lol) Man...the ease of makeup removal alone sans mascara would be worth it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
   CMA statement: I do not endorse, encourage, or suggest that anyone else try this. I am not a doctor. I'm broke so don't sue me.

I ignore about when to toss cosmetics. I have some pressed powder items over 10 years old that I still on occasion use. If it can be sharpened or sanitized I hang on to it.

I ignore trends, I don't care if "glowy", "shimmery" "dewy" are in style, it isn't a style I personally care for. I like my skin to look velvet matte so that's what I'm gonna do. I express myself in my choices of what suits me rather than what is in fashion. I also did this as a teen in the 80s which made me a "rebel" by avoiding all the bright garish makeup and clothes back then.

I'm right there with you on the powder products @Kristine Walker  :)

I have powder products that are several years old also. I sanitize them a couple of times a year and as long as they look like the day I bought them (color, texture, etc) I consider them fine for use. Liquid/cream products are another story but I'm sure I use them longer than recommended. 

Love this!

Let's see, I break the no mascara on bottom lashes rule. Also, I'm sure I break the "work-safe" eyeshadow rule daily. I'm going to work today, I will wear eyeshadow from UD Vice 2 and I promise no one will get hurt.... it's "work-safe"

Agree with others regarding shimmer in the crease, not following expiration rules on powder cosmetics, and I love red eyeshadow.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Me too! I only toss things if they start to look or smell different, or if I just get tired of them...powder products last forever if properly cared for!

i totally break the "work-safe" rule on a daily basis. the idea of a neutral matte eye every day bores the hell out of me. and the "try for the polished girl next door" thing is idiotic -- i look best with an intense winged eye. i do try to keep my colors for work a bit muted (no crazy yellows or neon colors), but who said I should only do a neutral eye and mascara to work?! psh! 

then again, the people at work are very welcome of my crazy looks xD somedays I wear things that look like I'm going out to party. >_>

@Kristine Walker I have never had a product for 10 years but I got my naked palette in 2011 and the thing is still going strong. I see no reason I should part with it. powder products specially can last a very long time. 

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  i totally break the "work-safe" rule on a daily basis. the idea of a neutral matte eye every day bores the hell out of me. and the "try for the polished girl next door" thing is idiotic -- i look best with an intense winged eye. i do try to keep my colors for work a bit muted (no crazy yellows or neon colors), but who said I should only do a neutral eye and mascara to work?! psh! 

I was trying to think what "rule" do I break, and I couldn't think of anything and then you posted this. I am an engineer, and I've seen some women's make up be muted to fit in with the guys. I don't super funky colors, but I don't do a matte eye. The group that I currently work for the women rarely do muted makeup. Someone always has shimmer on their eyes, crazy shade on their nails, bold colored hair or bold eyeliner. We're an odd group though. Most people don't come talk to us unless something breaks, so no one really notices us.

However, for interviews my makeup is "work-safe".

Quote: Originally Posted by eucala08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was trying to think what "rule" do I break, and I couldn't think of anything and then you posted this. I am an engineer, and I've seen some women's make up be muted to fit in with the guys. I don't super funky colors, but I don't do a matte eye. The group that I currently work for the women rarely do muted makeup. Someone always has shimmer on their eyes, crazy shade on their nails, bold colored hair or bold eyeliner. We're an odd group though. Most people don't come talk to us unless something breaks, so no one really notices us.

However, for interviews my makeup is "work-safe".
Hah! yep. I work at a small company, and we're all mostly women in the office, so if anyone needs to fit in, it's the guys! my nails are always some crazy colors.. i don't hold back on my nails. I am trying to do more of a matte neutral eye lately but mostly out of convenience (I am a lazy person who enjoys to sleep in more than I do messing with eyeshadow at 6am), but I also keep a little palette of pretty shimmery shades that i will wear on the lid then a matte crease. (my favorite lately is mac antiqued on the lid with saddle in the crease and MUG cocoa bear in the outer V), and of course, my absolute needed winged liner!

here's today's, as an example -- whoever said minimal liner and mascara for work obvs. doesn't know me! 

I work in a nursing facility, and work-safe makeup is so not me, ha. I wear bright bold colors, shimmer, glitter, lots of liner/mascara, whatever I feel like on any given day. Who says work should be drab??

I have no idea if this is a rule or just the way it's supposed to be done, but I don't draw the eyeliner all over my eye.... my eyeliner (whether on the upper or bottom lash line) ALWAYS begins just about where my eyelashes start, so kinda far from the tear duct...

I tried many times a line that started from the tear duct but it just doesn't suit me... It makes my eyes look awfully smaller and somewhat lifeless...

I heard somewhere that apparently it's not the best idea in the world to wear bronzer and blush together.... well I do, almost everytime...

I have been taught to apply foundation first and then concealer, I do totally the other way round and thank god that one day I just decided to try it cos I  like it way better... but I know that definitely I am not the only one though, many people start with the concealer but I just don't understand those make up artists that insist to say "Foundation always goes first!!!!"...

And since we're talking about breaking makeup rules, I wish I was more brave like you and wear a bold lipstick with a strong eyes makeup cos I just can't..... "The rule" stops me a lot from doing that and I am always scared that the result will be simply "too much" so I never dare...

Back