zadidoll

Secret Santa 2014 input wanted

Thank you for that wonderful tutorial @@Dashery !  I love it!  Yay sheepy!

Your welcome! It's a sheriff's duty to serve!  B)

• Like 2

If you are using the latest version of Internet Explorer, you can have issues with quote/copy/paste/spoilers etc.  Try using a different browser and you may not have those issues.  There are a TON of reported compatibility issues with the latest IE version and websites.  So it may not be a random mod superpower, just a IE compatibility issue.  

If you are using the latest version of Internet Explorer, you can have issues with quote/copy/paste/spoilers etc.  Try using a different browser and you may not have those issues.  There are a TON of reported compatibility issues with the latest IE version and websites.  So it may not be a random mod superpower, just a IE compatibility issue.  

Thank you but for me I use Safari.  I appreciate @@Dashery 's tutorial and will keep it in mind if I desperately need to post a picture but that is way too much work when I used to just be able to cut and paste!

• Like 2

The requirement to have your screen name was used in the Midsummer swap.  Can we adjust this to state your username has to be INSIDE the box (like on a card or something).

My legal name is not lovepink and I did not feel comfortable having to post my user name on a box that is being handled by various entities and people.

I put my real name on line 1, my screen name line 2, then my address, then city state and zip as I did not want to get in trouble for not following "the rules."  I also made sure to write my screen name under my real name on the card.

I had no idea of this either, I honestly cant remember if i put my name on the outside. I know I did put it in the card I added inside.

I really wish more people would post pictures of themselves.  I know that we can't really "require" that, as many people would feel very uncomfortable.  But I found it kind of odd to be purchasing make-up products for someone that I had no idea what they looked like.  Would it be possible to give people who don't want a picture of themselves posted on the internet the OPTION of attaching a picture to their address information that goes to the organizers and then send it on to whoever gets their name?  Not only does it feel more personal to be able to put a face with a name, but it really can help us pick products that fit the recipient better.

Thats a great idea!

Regarding PMs. The option to add a picture is not available in Fast Reply. You need to click on Full Editor in order to have the option to add a picture. You also should see it when composing a new PM. If you're unable to see the Attach File option then @@Director will need to fix the member tier.

• Like 1

Regarding PMs. The option to add a picture is not available in Fast Reply. You need to click on Full Editor in order to have the option to add a picture. You also should see it when composing a new PM. If you're unable to see the Attach File option then @@Director will need to fix the member tier.

When I click the Use Full Editor to reply to an existing PM, I do not get the attach files option at the bottom of your screen cap.  The option to use the full editor in a new PM is not available either.

Fixed.  Regular members can now upload images into PMs

• Like 8

What can be done if someone is an active chatter, signs up, and *then* stops participating? And what about people who do not respond to nudges from fairies/elves/mods? (This is not sarcastic or rhetorical. This is a real, genuine concern and struggle. I just don't know what the expected during-the-swap resolution is.)

So A LOT has been posted since this was, and I only read to halfway through page 9, but this is all too depressing to read more, so apologies if others have said what I was going to say. 

I share a lot of the general concerns expressed in this thread but I sort of want to cry reading some of the comments at this point, since I have disappeared for a few weeks now, and according to a lot of people, this would mean I am banned from the next swap for insufficient participation in this one.

I think SS should be fun for everyone.  And we need to figure out a way to avoid anyone wanting to cry or throw things.  This means both the people who are frustrated that their partner isn't posting, and it also means the people who get slammed unexpectedly and can't post.

My ideas:

Reveal requirement: I think a requirement of letting the board know you got your package is a good idea. But we need to bear in mind that (though it's rare) some people don't have smart phones or a digital camera and might find it hard to post pictures.  I know this is increasingly obsolete, but this was me last December.  I found a way to post pictures anyway but I had to borrow someone else's phone, and for one of my buddies I had to do this daily as her gift was super thoughtfully broken down into a 25 days of christmas extravaganza.  I was unable to post her last few gifts to me because I was travelling and unable to borrow a camera. I would hate to think that banned me from participating next time. So I'd vote for a requirement of one post acknowledging that YES you have the gift, and either a few photos OR a note saying you can't post photos now but everything is safe, thank you so much.

Post requirement: I think think the idea of a minimum of 50-100 posts IN THE PAST YEAR is a good one. I think 100 is better than 50 personally. I don't think you should also be required to post a specific number of times during the swap or if there is a requirement it should be minimal. Despite what some people here seem to think, stuff DOES happen and makes it hard for some of us to find 10 minutes to post. Stuff can happen even in the modern age where one is without internet access for a period of time.  It is also hard because some of us are just trying to play catch up reading the thread because of the people who post in it a TON, so we are wading through literally dozens of pages if we've been gone for a long weekend, and it's hard to jump in again before catching up somewhat because what you are saying by then is 50 topics ago. I think a compromise would be making a survey a requirement to join, and you have to fill it out before the sign up cut off date. Even if you make a certain number of posts in the thread a requirement,  some person is probably just going to post like 'yes' or 'no' as their responses in the thread, and their buddy is going to be the same amount upset as if they hadn't posted at all but they won't have violated the rules.

I think overall the tone of this thread has become very  negative on both sides and I think this is just depressing.  This is just supposed to be fun for everyone.

• Like 7

So A LOT has been posted since this was, and I only read to halfway through page 9, but this is all too depressing to read more, so apologies if others have said what I was going to say. 

I share a lot of the general concerns expressed in this thread but I sort of want to cry reading some of the comments at this point, since I have disappeared for a few weeks now, and according to a lot of people, this would mean I am banned from the next swap for insufficient participation in this one.

I think SS should be fun for everyone.  And we need to figure out a way to avoid anyone wanting to cry or throw things.  This means both the people who are frustrated that their partner isn't posting, and it also means the people who get slammed unexpectedly and can't post.

My ideas:

Reveal requirement: I think a requirement of letting the board know you got your package is a good idea. But we need to bear in mind that (though it's rare) some people don't have smart phones or a digital camera and might find it hard to post pictures.  I know this is increasingly obsolete, but this was me last December.  I found a way to post pictures anyway but I had to borrow someone else's phone, and for one of my buddies I had to do this daily as her gift was super thoughtfully broken down into a 25 days of christmas extravaganza.  I was unable to post her last few gifts to me because I was travelling and unable to borrow a camera. I would hate to think that banned me from participating next time. So I'd vote for a requirement of one post acknowledging that YES you have the gift, and either a few photos OR a note saying you can't post photos now but everything is safe, thank you so much.

Post requirement: I think think the idea of a minimum of 50-100 posts IN THE PAST YEAR is a good one. I think 100 is better than 50 personally. I don't think you should also be required to post a specific number of times during the swap or if there is a requirement it should be minimal. Despite what some people here seem to think, stuff DOES happen and makes it hard for some of us to find 10 minutes to post. Stuff can happen even in the modern age where one is without internet access for a period of time.  It is also hard because some of us are just trying to play catch up reading the thread because of the people who post in it a TON, so we are wading through literally dozens of pages if we've been gone for a long weekend, and it's hard to jump in again before catching up somewhat because what you are saying by then is 50 topics ago. I think a compromise would be making a survey a requirement to join, and you have to fill it out before the sign up cut off date. Even if you make a certain number of posts in the thread a requirement,  some person is probably just going to post like 'yes' or 'no' as their responses in the thread, and their buddy is going to be the same amount upset as if they hadn't posted at all but they won't have violated the rules.

I think overall the tone of this thread has become very  negative on both sides and I think this is just depressing.  This is just supposed to be fun for everyone.

I could not have said it better myself.  I know that you are a consistent poster and I am SO SORRY you feel like crying. It's not right.  This is supposed to be FUN!!!  Most of this thread is not FUN. I am sending my gift with the understanding that I may not here back from the person I sent it to.  I doubt it because I know who she is and she is a consistent poster. I would HOPE that they would acknowledge the gift to at least sat, I received it. BUT if I had received a person who didn't post, I would still send out a gift that I was PROUD to say, "Yep, that was me, I sent it." Would I be annoyed or a little upset? But I would keep it to myself.

If I wasn't "running" Summerswap, chances are you would have seen a lot less of me with work and moving but the Summerswap is my responsibly so I post as much as I can.  

I like @@tulosai's idea that a survey is a requirement to join.

I think a compromise would be making a survey a requirement to join, and you have to fill it out before the sign up cut off date.

I actually like that idea... alot. This may be implemented this year. I'm getting ready (in September) to reveal the new rules and requirements. I'm going to be up front here and say I'm not going to make being an active member of MUT a strict requirement. If someone is great, if not that's fine. I rather shut Secret Santa down than allow it to become so exclusive that new members - who meet the minimum requirements - are not allowed to participate. That wasn't the intent of the original Secret Santa and I won't let it evolve to that. I might increase the post amounts from 50 to 75 though.

We'll see... I'll probably have a series of polls put up here in SS to see what people want so if you have a poll question that you want me to ask post below. It has to be a YES or NO question so keep that in mind.

• Like 5

New Poll Question:

"Are you OK with receiving anti-aging skincare?"

I personally have issues with the chemicals in the anti-aging stuff.  They make my sensitive skin burn.  But, I feel weird giving it away like "Here you go you old wrinkly thing you!"  BUT, I know a lot of people on here love getting the samples because a lot of anti-aging stuff is expensive!  So this question would eliminate my "would my Santee welcome these samples or find them offensive?" obsessing.

• Like 3

New Poll Question:

"Are you OK with receiving anti-aging skincare?"

I personally have issues with the chemicals in the anti-aging stuff. They make my sensitive skin burn. But, I feel weird giving it away like "Here you go you old wrinkly thing you!" BUT, I know a lot of people on here love getting the samples because a lot of anti-aging stuff is expensive! So this question would eliminate my "would my Santee welcome these samples or find them offensive?" obsessing.

Yes, great question to add! I would love getting it but feel offensive giving it without specific direction. Also, same sentiment about spot treatments/acne products.

I know a lot of people in their early 20s say they are starting early. I see that I think "I'm an idiot for waiting so long" haha

Let me be more specific on the type of poll questions I'm going to ask or types I'm seeking to ask.

Things like anti-aging would be good for after a person signs up but the types of questions I'm looking to poll is more on the direction I want to take SS and/or the rules. But I do think the anti-aging one will be perfect for a "Get to know me" type of thread.

Could we have some examples? I'm still confused, especially as to the yes/no question type.  

:unsure2: I promise I'm not usually this dense.

Example, "Should we increase the minimum purchase amount from $25 to $30?"

• Like 3

Thank you!

- Should we require a form of acknowledgment like a PM or a post in the reveal forum (no pics necessary, just a "got my package, thanks!") from Santee to Santa once the gift is received?

- Is a 4-week shopping window long enough?

- Is a 2-week shipping window long enough?

• Like 1

I think we should also ask 'would a one week sign up window be better than two weeks?'

• Like 7

Thank you!

- Should we require a form of acknowledgment like a PM or a post in the reveal forum (no pics necessary, just a "got my package, thanks!") from Santee to Santa once the gift is received?

- Is a 4-week shopping window long enough?

- Is a 2-week shipping window long enough?

If it's not too much trouble, I'd break the first question up into two:

-  Should some acknowledgement from Santee to Santa (private or public) be required?

-  Should some public acknowledgement in the reveal thread (no pictures necessary) be required?

One other thought I had relates to the "recency" of the minimum required posts.  Is there an easy way for moderators to tell how many posts someone has made during a certain date range?  If not, than never mind.  But if so, I'd suggest that we ask:

-  Should swap participants be required to have made 25 posts in the 3 months before the sign-up deadline, in addition to meeting the other overall posting and length of membership requirements?

Edited by jennm149
  • Like 2

One other thought I had relates to the "recency" of the minimum required posts.  Is there an easy way for moderators to tell how many posts someone has made during a certain date range?

Actually wouldn't be difficult to do this at all! (Maybe a little time consuming depending on how many participants there are, but I'd be happy to do it. I love projects!)

Basically we'd just have to go to 'my content' on the person's profile and look at the posts. There are 25 posts per page, so if we were looking for 25 posts in the last 3 months we'd just have to scroll to the bottom & look at the date on that post. Or if we were doing 50 posts, scroll to the bottom of page 2. Etc, etc. :) 

• Like 4

I have a cheap semi-smart phone (Android Straight Talk), and I have never been able to get pictures from it, to the laptop and to upload here. I do have photos posted, just not at MUT. If photos became an absolute requirement I would be forced to drop-out.

I'm hoping my written descriptions didn't hurt anyone. It hurts my heart to know that such kind and generous people have not been thanked or even acknowledged.

As your SS gifter I didn't feel upset at all that you didn't take photos. I honestly didn't remember you didn't. Words can paint a vivid picture and knowing you received the gift and that you enjoyed it is good for me!
  • Like 4