Jump to content
zadidoll

Secret Santa 2014 input wanted

Recommended Posts

totally agree with upping the amount of time that one is required to be a member - i guess it just irks me when people join and post a bunch in a short amount of time just to get in on the fun.
I agree! We did meet some nice ladies and some did stick around on MUT. I would imagine it would be hard to get someone who has been on MUT for a very short period of time where all their posts are "I agree!" Or "nice box!" And that's it. Re: wishlist -- I liked when people would say what the actually wanted because it served as a good departure point into thinking about *other* things they may like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by usofjessamerica View Post


I agree! We did meet some nice ladies and some did stick around on MUT. I would imagine it would be hard to get someone who has been on MUT for a very short period of time where all their posts are "I agree!" Or "nice box!" And that's it.

Re: wishlist -- I liked when people would say what the actually wanted because it served as a good departure point into thinking about *other* things they may like.

I tried to do a  happy medium with the wishlist - I don't know if my Secret Santa liked it - but I was both specific and vague, I listed some specific polishes I had been eyeing and then also a general description of brands i've never tried, that I like glitters,etc. I think that helps cater to both the non-stressed shoppers, and the shoppers who like a little more security/certainty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this sounds like it would be more work for you @zadidoll but is there anyway that next year we could tier the spending limits? I know that a lot of us(including myself) spent WAY over the budget amount and I think that made people a little uncomfortable when they stayed close to the budget amount. Have people pick and include in their sign up the spending amount that they are willing to go to and then match them up with others in that tier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKaye View Post
 

I know this sounds like it would be more work for you @zadidoll but is there anyway that next year we could tier the spending limits? I know that a lot of us(including myself) spent WAY over the budget amount and I think that made people a little uncomfortable when they stayed close to the budget amount. Have people pick and include in their sign up the spending amount that they are willing to go to and then match them up with others in that tier.

 

It would require a lot of work since this year we had 107 participants since I typically randomize members with each other. HOWEVER I would consider this but I want to see what the thoughts are of people on this. Possibly another way is to do it similar to the nails Secret Santa vs main Secret Santa and have two different "main" Secret Santas - one for those who don't mind spending more than $25 and one for those on a budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally don't mind it the way it is. I definitely went over on budget, but my SS deserved it and I wanted to give her something nice to look forward to since she had been going through a tough time. No idea how much my SS spent on me, I didn't sit there and calculate it in my head, I just enjoyed it.

 

Also, the actual value of my SS's gift vs how much I actually spent is way different, I had birchbox points, coupons, gift cards, etc. I'm sure a lot of us do that too so I think that's something to take in to account before confining people in to tiers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiimeows View Post
 

I personally don't mind it the way it is. I definitely went over on budget, but my SS deserved it and I wanted to give her something nice to look forward to since she had been going through a tough time. No idea how much my SS spent on me, I didn't sit there and calculate it in my head, I just enjoyed it.

 

Also, the actual value of my SS's gift vs how much I actually spent is way different, I had birchbox points, coupons, gift cards, etc. I'm sure a lot of us do that too so I think that's something to take in to account before confining people in to tiers.


I agree with you on this because the fact that someone went through all of the hard work to make me a present is priceless. It seemed a few girls mentioned how they were feeling bad because they had stuck close to the budget though and I don't want anyone to feel that their gifts were unworthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I personally don't mind it the way it is. I definitely went over on budget, but my SS deserved it and I wanted to give her something nice to look forward to since she had been going through a tough time. No idea how much my SS spent on me, I didn't sit there and calculate it in my head, I just enjoyed it. Also, the actual value of my SS's gift vs how much I actually spent is way different, I had birchbox points, coupons, gift cards, etc. I'm sure a lot of us do that too so I think that's something to take in to account before confining people in to tiers.
There was a lot of trading and raiding of stashes as well! I thought it was fair game to send, say, an Urban Decay liner or Butter London polish and not count it against the limit if you got it via trade for stuff you would never use anyway or if it was something you received in a box that had just been taking up space in your swap stash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There was a lot of trading and raiding of stashes as well! I thought it was fair game to send, say, an Urban Decay liner or Butter London polish and not count it against the limit if you got it via trade for stuff you would never use anyway or if it was something you received in a box that had just been taking up space in your swap stash.
My Santa absolutely SPOILED me. I took it the same route as Meaganola -- I used the BLITZ promo, pulled things from my stash ... All that. If I could do it over again, I would use my $20 off $50 VIB coupon and buy my Santee even more stuff and technically only be $5 off from the $25 limit. Or... I could be extra naughty if that glitch is still in place for the 3rd year in a row that makes those $15/$20 coupons essentially just gift cards Lol sorry. Main point -- I don't think a tiered system is necessary. As long as you play your cards right, you can do a lot on a budget. I know not everyone is willing to part with their BB points or use their $15 freebie sephora gift card, but it's an option. And hey, we all went into this knowing there *is* a limit and I would think it was unfortunate if someone felt bad that their gift was "only worth $25" when so and so got $xxx worth of stuff. The main point is that someone took the time to creep and shop just for you!
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaganola View Post


There was a lot of trading and raiding of stashes as well! I thought it was fair game to send, say, an Urban Decay liner or Butter London polish and not count it against the limit if you got it via trade for stuff you would never use anyway or if it was something you received in a box that had just been taking up space in your swap stash.

 

Agreed!  I went over budget on my Santee but not massively- I used a lot of what I had in my stash (and thankfully my Santee has the same affinity for office supplies that I do- I didn't spend a dime there even though she said she loved journals and things to write in.. hoarder alert), traded for some, worked hard to find the best deals on things- and bought a few full price splurge material items.  I think maybe if we even include a rule that doesn't enact say, a spending limit- but more of a spending minimum.  If you say that your minimum spent on items to include in the present has to equal $25 (and I know we use the honor code), but can exceed the $25 minimum, that would be good!  Maybe also to include a line that mentions that no one should expect a box that has over $25 spent on it- would ease minds?

 

I like that we're talking about this!  I was fairly active before all of SS started this year but I know that I made so many friends out of it (I count you all as my friends.  Fyi.) and love to be able to come home and read through everyone's posts.  Not gonna lie- I still like to stalk some of you just to see how everyone's doing.  I really liked the group participation effort part of it, I guess is what I'm saying.  I love to see people be a part of something- getting the gifts seemed like the icing on the cake (editing in here: I love/loved my SS gift.  I was spoiled rotten.. so so rotten.. I don't want to downplay my Santa at all, because she was awesome and I hope I get her again next year!).  I loved all of us gossiping about what we bought and how we were going to wrap it.. etc.  I feel like adding months onto the front end of when you have to be a part wouldn't be bad, because the community benefits from participation.  (to add to this, I know I haven't been super active recently- so many things going on on the homefront.  Life can settle down now, so that I can hang out with you girls more often.)

 

Okay.  Wall of text over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agreed!  I went over budget on my Santee but not massively- I used a lot of what I had in my stash (and thankfully my Santee has the same affinity for office supplies that I do- I didn't spend a dime there even though she said she loved journals and things to write in.. hoarder alert), traded for some, worked hard to find the best deals on things- and bought a few full price splurge material items.  I think maybe if we even include a rule that doesn't enact say, a spending limit- but more of a spending minimum.  If you say that your minimum spent on items to include in the present has to equal $25 (and I know we use the honor code), but can exceed the $25 minimum, that would be good!  Maybe also to include a line that mentions that no one should expect a box that has over $25 spent on it- would ease minds? I like that we're talking about this!  I was fairly active before all of SS started this year but I know that I made so many friends out of it (I count you all as my friends.  Fyi.) and love to be able to come home and read through everyone's posts.  Not gonna lie- I still like to stalk some of you just to see how everyone's doing.  I really liked the group participation effort part of it, I guess is what I'm saying.  I love to see people be a part of something- getting the gifts seemed like the icing on the cake (editing in here: I love/loved my SS gift.  I was spoiled rotten.. so so rotten.. I don't want to downplay my Santa at all, because she was awesome and I hope I get her again next year!).  I loved all of us gossiping about what we bought and how we were going to wrap it.. etc.  I feel like adding months onto the front end of when you have to be a part wouldn't be bad, because the community benefits from participation.  (to add to this, I know I haven't been super active recently- so many things going on on the homefront.  Life can settle down now, so that I can hang out with you girls more often.) Okay.  Wall of text over.
What you said about easing minds, that was the point I'm trying to make. Maybe a tiered system wouldn't be great but mentioning the minimum and that people aren't expected to go any higher would help ease weary minds.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the reason I want a tiered system is for the girls who didn't have a lot of wiggle room who felt bad and for me because then I could participate in more than one. I wanted to buy something for everyone, but that's not realistic. The nail SS doesn't appeal to me though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the SS without tiers.  I went over budget but I was happy with it.  I think I could even get more with less money if there was more time to shop. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like the idea of tiers. As long as the minimum is met, people will be happy. I think everything went well last year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with everyone on here too! I never expected anything over the $25. Heck I didn't even care if I got anything in the first place! I was having so much fun compiling my gift to my Santee that I forgot about the gift in return. I think most of us are just happy to be participating. Tiers would break up the magic of it all. I made so many friends on this thread that it would be sad not including everyone because if money. Nobody should feel bad so long as everybody knows the rules & is truly there for the magic & excitement of it all. Oh man I've missed you ladies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am against the tiers also. I think a big part of the fun was all being on the SS thread talking a million times a day. We would end up dividing the group just because some people are on more of a budget. I want us all to be together 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about it, the more opposed to the tier system I am.  My favorite parts of this, in ascending order:

  • Watching everyone else open their stuff!
  • The slumber party-ness of the discussion thread!
  • Figuring out how to get the biggest bang for my buck!

 

And that last one was *really* where I had fun.  I did pay attention to the spending limit because (and this is something else that would be a reason to *not* do the tiers) I had an international Santee.  I fudged greatly on the customs form about the *value* (that is, what I would have spent if I had bought everything at full price.  There were two items in particular that would have put it over the limit value-wise, but one was received in a swap, and the other was a duplicate item received in a subscription box, so I paid nothing for either item) of things, but I *did* stay fairly close to the spending limit due to swaps, things I just *had*, and sales.  Just the customs limit will force a lot of people into the lower tier whether they want to be there or not.  Someone mentioned being interested in the tiers because then they could have been able to have two Santees, and I can see that as being very appealing, but I would be more interested in being able to have two Santees at the lower limit.
 

I can also see a breakdown in the slumber party feel of things if we break things into two different dollar limits.  I know I would feel weird if I went with one tier and kept seeing people talk about the other tier, regardless of which tier I was in.  It just seems like it could easily devolve into unfortunate cliqueishness without anyone even trying to make that happen.  After all, look at how separate the nail and regular SeSa threads were.  No one was prevented from posting in the regular SeSa thread, but there was almost no crossover unless someone happened to be in both groups.

 

(And a side note, in case anyone was wondering why I use "SeSa" instead of "SS":  I just don't feel comfortable with using those initials for *anything*.  It's just a habit I got into way back in high school in the '80s, and I just can't shake it.  Or think of anything else when I see it being used.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The more I think about it, the more opposed to the tier system I am.  My favorite parts of this, in ascending order:
  • Watching everyone else open their stuff!
  • The slumber party-ness of the discussion thread!
  • Figuring out how to get the biggest bang for my buck!

And that last one was *really* where I had fun.  I did pay attention to the spending limit because (and this is something else that would be a reason to *not* do the tiers) I had an international Santee.  I fudged greatly on the customs form about the *value* (that is, what I would have spent if I had bought everything at full price.  There were two items in particular that would have put it over the limit value-wise, but one was received in a swap, and the other was a duplicate item received in a subscription box, so I paid nothing for either item) of things, but I *did* stay fairly close to the spending limit due to swaps, things I just *had*, and sales.  Just the customs limit will force a lot of people into the lower tier whether they want to be there or not.  Someone mentioned being interested in the tiers because then they could have been able to have two Santees, and I can see that as being very appealing, but I would be more interested in being able to have two Santees at the lower limit.   I can also see a breakdown in the slumber party feel of things if we break things into two different dollar limits.  I know I would feel weird if I went with one tier and kept seeing people talk about the other tier, regardless of which tier I was in.  It just seems like it could easily devolve into unfortunate cliqueishness without anyone even trying to make that happen.  After all, look at how separate the nail and regular SeSa threads were.  No one was prevented from posting in the regular SeSa thread, but there was almost no crossover unless someone happened to be in both groups. (And a side note, in case anyone was wondering why I use "SeSa" instead of "SS":  I just don't feel comfortable with using those initials for *anything*.  It's just a habit I got into way back in high school in the '80s, and I just can't shake it.  Or think of anything else when I see it being used.)

Ok. I'm clearly a dork but I have to ask- what other meaning does SS have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by angienharry View Post


Ok. I'm clearly a dork but I have to ask- what other meaning does SS have?

If you click the highlighted text (pinkish red) in @meaganola's post it takes you to the link on Wikipedia about it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you click the highlighted text (pinkish red) in @meaganola's post it takes you to the link on Wikipedia about it! 
Got it. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by angienharry View Post


Got it. Thanks!

No problem!  I appreciate you being the one to ask, cause I didn't want to!  Then I went back and looked and saw it was clicky text so I was able to get in a little history lesson!  I had no clue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I feel *really* weird about saying, "Hey, that's a Nazi thing," but it's all I can think of when I see those initials.  I honestly thought it was common knowledge, though.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaganola View Post
 

Yeah, I feel *really* weird about saying, "Hey, that's a Nazi thing," but it's all I can think of when I see those initials.  I honestly thought it was common knowledge, though.

 

 

 

I had no idea. I learn something new everyday on MuT.

 

I agree that there should be some sort of survey/questionnaire/wishlist thing required and that it should be completed by a specific date. At the same time, people shouldn't have the expectation that they are going to get EXACTLY what is on their list. The list/questionnaire/whatever is just a guideline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaganola View Post
 

Yeah, I feel *really* weird about saying, "Hey, that's a Nazi thing," but it's all I can think of when I see those initials.  I honestly thought it was common knowledge, though.

 

 

 

I knew but because there are so many other non-offensive, extremely common uses I never thought of us using it as offensive.  (secret service, social security, steamship, steamboat, submarine)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I knew but because there are so many other non-offensive, extremely common uses I never thought of us using it as offensive.  (secret service, social security, steamship, steamboat, submarine)
Same!
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I participated in the Nails SS only, and I basically agree with most of what's already been said. I stalked sales, used a few things from my own stash and trades to bulk up her gift. I went over the limit but not by a whole lot and I didn't care. I don't like the idea of a tier system, I think the limit system works fine. I had no expectation of getting anything worth more than the limit and as long as everyone knows that, I think it's fine. For the most part, at least on the nails side, most people were having fun shopping & putting their gifts together. That being said, I do hope we have another nails one this year. I am not a make-up person as much as a nail polish person, so that was great fun!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



  • Recent images in this topic

  • Posts

    • deppatch offers different colours of wigs in different lenght and styles you can choose your favourite one and change you look in few minutesif you want to be glamourous and beautifull you should visit our website for different makeup products and dresses of your choice. we are inviting you on our store to get affordable things with best results .
    • Banish hyperpigmentation and melasma with this powerful microcurrent Reusable Face Mask. Enhance your skin while lightening, tightening and brightening. Reduce wrinkles brighten the skin tone, Shop Now!
    • The fashion is the most inspiring on going trends changing always due the climate season and time, there are many people who are looking to get an modeling work...
    • My little Nutrisystem box is coming today. I HOPE I like it!!!! I got a big box before, years ago, and I did not like it. So did not stick to it. But I'm so tired of my overspending on food (Door Dash) delivery. When I get restaurant delivery, I don't even end up liking the food that much. If I get fast food, it's good, but when I order from a restaurant, the food is much less appealing and good than when you eat on site. The kind of food I get (partial to fried foods) makes me thirsty, tired. I've gotten to the point where I am so fed up, I'm just dying for the Nutrisystem box. That's the way I am when I go on a beauty No Buy and it ends up being successful - fed up with my behavior, feeling like I can't wait to change. It's nice Nutrisystem now has these little boxes you can get at Target and Walmart to try out and you don't have to spend over 200 up front and get a subscription.  I'm going to try different things with food each week until I figure out a plan to cut back. This will be harder than beauty No Buy for me. 
    • Me too! I really need clothes and shoes but won't buy them for myself. If I do have money I just want to buy cosmetics. I really don't use them either, but on my plan at least I get to enjoy the skin care and bath and body products! 

About MakeupTalk®

© 2003-2018 MakeupTalk.com®, an active online community and message board geared towards members wanting to discuss everything to do with makeup, cosmetics, product reviews, monthly subscription boxes and general beauty related topics. Our community provides product reviews, makeup and general beauty tips. Our most popular topics are subscription boxes and their monthly spoilers. Join our community for free to take part in the conversations and share your own beauty tips and product reviews with others. We look forward to seeing you online here at Makeuptalk®!

Follow us

Recent tweets

MakeupTalk Facebook - 911K Likes

×
×
  • Create New...