BIRCHBOX March 2014 - Spoilers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking at my box history last night, and, man, things get a lot better for me once spring rolls around! I'm hoping for a box full of things I can pack for a weekend away, like shower gel, hand cream, lip balm/non-plumping gloss, some sort of leave-in hair conditioning stuff (serum,oil,spray -- not sure which I would prefer), and toothpaste (I love Marvis but am rarely willing to spend the money/points on it). That combination would be perfect. Edited because whoops. Last *night*, not last *month*.

I'm just hoping for a nice balance, and NO TEA!!! (I like it, but it's been like fake lashes on Ipsy, way too much in a very short period!) In my ideal Birchbox world, I'd have one makeup, one hair, one skin, one bath-and-body and either nails or "lifestyle" product. Fortunately the vast majority of my boxes have been good; I rarely have had serious box envy or punishment boxes; and while the tea overkill has gotten on my nerves, tea in my home does get put to good use.

(I'm posting the FAQs since we're still on the first page. If a mod would prefer to post them, feel free to remove this post!)

FAQ's!  Every month, we get lovely new people with questions.  We want to give you a resource to help people quickly (because we love helping here!).  If you see someone asking a common question (what is a clicky truck, what is the app trick, etc), just come to the first page of this thread, find my post, quote it, and edit out the parts you don't need.  Hope this helps!

Q. When does Birchbox ship?

A. Birchbox typically ships by the 10th of each month unless there is a delay.

Q. How many products are sent out?

A. Depends on the month and on the box. They typically send between four to six items each month ranging from perfume samples to full size cosmetic products.

Q:  Why does my box only show that I’m getting 3 items?

A:  Don’t worry!  The box contents are still updating.  Birchbox guarantees that you’ll get 4-6 items, so you’re getting at least one more!  Just be patient and the box will update with more items soon.

Q: How do I know what number box I’m getting?

A: Log into your account, click on BOX at the top of the screen then scroll down and it will show your products for that month - but it won't tell you which box it is. To find out exactly what box you're getting scroll down further to the box history and you'll see your current box as well as any past boxes. If you hover your mouse over the current month’s box, a link should pop up, with your box number at the end of the URL. If you click on it picture, you’ll be taken to that box page, and the box number will show at the end of the URL in your address box.

Q:  What is a “clicky truckâ€?

A:  A clicky truck means that your box has shipped and the shipping information is on the Birchbox website.  If you log into the site and go to “Account Settingsâ€, you’ll see a little truck that has the current month listed.  Once the new month starts, the truck will update to that month, but without tracking information.  Then, once your box ships, a tracking link will show up UNDERNEATH the truck (the truck itself is not actually clickable, the link beneath it is).

Q:  What’s the difference between a regular Birchbox and a Welcome Box?

A:  A Welcome Box is when you get someone (or yourself!) a Gift Subscription.  If you go through the regular wait list, you won’t get a Welcome Box, you’ll just get a regular box from that month.  But if you’ve been given a Gift Sub, or purchased one for yourself, then you’ll get a Welcome Box – which will have several items from previous Birchboxes. 

Q:  What is a “punishment boxâ€?

A:  A Punishment box is not an official Birchbox thing.  Sometimes people get boxes that they don’t like.  Either they feel that the items are completely off from the profile they set up, or they just got items that they personally will never use.  It is based entirely off of opinion – one person’s Punishment Box can be someone else’s Best Box Ever!

Q:  What is Box Envy?

A:  Box Envy happens when you get a box with items you don’t want, but you see someone else get a box that would have been just PERFECT for you!

Q:  How can I do a trade?

A: Sometimes, you’ll get an item that you just don’t want or can’t use.  That’s the risk we all take with getting subscription boxes.  Don’t worry, you can trade it!  You can either create a trade thread through the regular channel or post in the Birchbox-specific trade thread for that month.  If someone has created a trade thread, they’ll post the link in this thread (and once I see it, I’ll try to update this post with it!)  Here’s a link to the regular trade thread area https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/23798/subscription-box-swaps  Please be sure to read the buy/sell/trade rules and comply with them.  Any trade talk in this thread is subject to deletion.

Q:  Why is everyone asking how much boxes weigh?

A:  Box weight is a great way to see if you’re getting the same box as someone else.  Also, heavier boxes tend to contain larger (though not necessarily better) items like leave in conditioner, shampoo, etc.  Lighter boxes contain items like foil samples OR full-size makeup! 

Q:  What is the App Trick?  Or, how can I use my iPhone to see what I’m getting before the 10th?

A:  If you have an iPhone, you can SOMETIMES figure out what you’re getting before boxes update.  Open the Birchbox app and go to the Discovery section.  Then start scrolling!  Look for items marked “Box Historyâ€.  If it’s an item that you haven’t gotten in previous boxes, then it just may be in your box this month!  However, this is not an exact science.

Q:  My box doesn’t match the picture on the website! (i.e. items are missing or damaged, or you received something that wasn’t listed in the box contents)  What do I do?

A:  Birchbox has a great Customer Service Team.  Just email them at [email protected] and they’ll be happy to help you get it sorted out.

Q: I said no perfume/hair products/nail polish/etc.! Why did they send this to me?

A: There is literally NO WAY to opt out of anything.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm just hoping for a nice balance, and NO TEA!!! (I like it, but it's been like fake lashes on Ipsy, way too much in a very short period!) In my ideal Birchbox world, I'd have one makeup, one hair, one skin, one bath-and-body and either nails or "lifestyle" product. Fortunately the vast majority of my boxes have been good; I rarely have had serious box envy or punishment boxes; and while the tea overkill has gotten on my nerves, tea in my home does get put to good use.
OH MY GOD THIS. I'm not a tea fan, but if I get it, it generally will get used...that having been said, British fiancé = having lots of tea everywhere all. the. time., and if I see it in my Birchbox, I will cry, so I agree with you SO HARD on this! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On the FAQ front: There needs to be something in there about "I said no perfume/hair products/nail polish/etc.! Why did they send this to me?" Answer: There is literally NO WAY to opt out of anything.
Added this, good idea!

I am firmly in the "no more tea" camp. Nobody in my house drinks it nor do any of my friends or family. I'm cool with getting chocolate, or foot wipes, or even another pen, but no more mother flippin' tea! 
laughno.gif

I'm not even so much anti-tea; DH and I both enjoy it; but we are oversaturated as it is, and I thought that three months in a row of tea bags was just overkill. I understand that lifestyle extras are a Thing, but please Birchbox, a little variety!

I'm not even so much anti-tea; DH and I both enjoy it; but we are oversaturated as it is, and I thought that three months in a row of tea bags was just overkill. I understand that lifestyle extras are a Thing, but please Birchbox, a little variety!

I was somehow spared the Harney & Sons tea this month but I'm sure they will send it to both accounts soon enough since they send me tea every time they offer it. I have received Mighty & Ahmad teas on both of my accounts. Like I said, nobody I know drinks tea or if they do it is strictly Southern sweet tea on ice. lol

I would like to see them skip the lifestyle extras for a couple of months. They've been consistently including non beauty related items for the last few boxes and it's a trend that I'm not particularly enjoying. 

Quote: Originally Posted by MissTrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was somehow spared the Harney & Sons tea this month but I'm sure they will send it to both accounts soon enough since they send me tea every time they offer it. I have received Mighty & Ahmad teas on both of my accounts. Like I said, nobody I know drinks tea or if they do it is strictly Southern sweet tea on ice. lol

I would like to see them skip the lifestyle extras for a couple of months. They've been consistently including non beauty related items for the last few boxes and it's a trend that I'm not particularly enjoying.
Exactly, some balance please! When I mentioned in an earlier post I preferred to see a mix that included "nails or a lifestyle extra," I think I was oversimplifying it. I'd have been fine with tea or those irritating little extras (and if anyone remembers those awful paper coasters from a few years ago, you know exactly what I mean!) *every once in a while*. I will agree BB has been a little lifestyle-heavy recently and really wish they would give an option to opt out of certain products--in my case, I am diabetic and REALLY wish they wouldn't send out sweets as frequently; plus there's no way to avoid upsetting a subscriber who for instance might follow Kosher/Halal laws and find out that a food product wasn't certified.

Also, this is why I'm on the brink of canceling Beauty Army. I have consistently skipped since November because each month I am not only offered repeats, but they all include tea and Sensa. I know the system doesn't know I'm dieting, but it still chaps my a$$ to see a diet product flung at me!

(edited to include additional paragraph.)

I was really sad that I didn't get any Harney & Sons tea last month, so if they're sending it out again this month... I really hope I get one of the boxes with it! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

They have ALWAYS sent out  a lot of non beauty items as lifestyle extras.  I much prefer tea to all of the bars they used to sned out- larabars, lunabars, etc.  At least tea has other uses, even if you don't drink it.

A quick google search gave me these 49 uses for tea:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/08/15/4-uses-for-tea/

Quote: Originally Posted by gemstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They have ALWAYS sent out  a lot of non beauty items as lifestyle extras.  I much prefer tea to all of the bars they used to sned out- larabars, lunabars, etc.  At least tea has other uses, even if you don't drink it.

A quick google search gave me these 49 uses for tea:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/08/15/4-uses-for-tea/

I am aware that Birchbox has always sent out non-beauty related lifestyle extras. What they have NOT ALWAYS done in the past, but have been doing since November, is include a non-beauty related lifestyle extra EVERY month. That is what I object to, not lifestyle extras in general. If they want to send me something non-beauty related every month I wish they would at least send me more of the pens. I was one of the few people that was excited to get one. lol

I agree on the tea.  I am a huge tea drinker, but I am getting tea in my February box and I also got it in December.  I'd like something different in the next few months.

That said, I do think I have been getting a pretty good variety of things recently.  I'm not sure what I am hoping for in my March box.  Maybe some more skincare items?  A scrub, toner, or moisturizer would be nice!

I'm ok with the tea- I give it to my mom who loves it. I don't mind getting perfume either, but please no Juicy!

Latest posts

Back