What makes a flat iron worth $50 +

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feemia

Mostly harmless
Reaction score
I have a flat iron that I got at target a few years ago for $24.99. It's meant to straighten hair and it does it's job just fine. I'm just curious what makes a flat iron worth $50 or $100 or even more dollars.

I have a chi (~$100) and a conair(?) one I got from Target for about $10 and I have to say that I see a huge difference between the two. It may depend on how much hair you have and how long it is though.

I use the cheap one for when I travel and it takes a good 45 minutes to an hour to straighten my hair but it only takes 15-20 minutes max with the chi. (I have thick, wavy/curly hair that goes down to my butt - if I put my hair up in a bun it's softball sized and I need to use 2 or 3 elastics just to keep it from flopping down and unraveling).

That makes sense. If you have a lot of hair and straighten it often it might be worth the extra $. I have fine, thin hair which takes about 5-10 minutes to straighten with the Target iron, so I don't think I would be able to tell the difference.

Yeah, the difference would probably be minimal for your hair and definitely not worth the extra money. I don't straighten my hair very often anymore but I did it regularly a few years back, so it saved me a lot of time.

If your hair stays straight and straightens quickly with the Target iron, stick with it! I have wavy/curly hair and I couldn't get a straightener to work, just because of the texture of my hair, until I bought a pricey TurboIron. Lucky you ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have a flat iron that I got at target a few years ago for $24.99. It's meant to straighten hair and it does it's job just fine. I'm just curious what makes a flat iron worth $50 or $100 or even more dollars.
I listened to what my hairdresser recommended but before deciding I watched a number of reviews and this one was the one that made my mind up.  You might like to take a look for yourself "thesundaygirl.com/2013/07/karmin-g3-salon-pro-hair-styling-iron"   I eventually got one, in black.

It depends on your hair texture. My hair is very thick and wavy to curly. The cheap straightening irons from Target or Walmart, don't do anything to it. I bought a chi, that was like $110 at the time and it WORKS! I get super straight hair. There's a giant difference, but it also depends on your hair's natural texture. I've also had my chi over 10 years, but only use it like once a year it's too much of a hassle to straighten my hair lol. 

Back