Makeup budget

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here and have a question.......do you have a makeup budget? If so, how do you determine the amount? Is it weekly or monthly? Just curious.

I do not have a budget but also I do not buy makeup that often. I usually buy per season so now for spring I started of with a drugstore lipstick and some items I ordered from www.koreadepart.com/en/

and so far I spend like in usd 40 for the coming spring season 2014.

( In 2008 I restarted makeup from 0 items as I had stopped wearing it for many years)

I don't make an actual budget but I give myself rules and amounts when I feel I need to. For the Christmas period from November until Jan I gave myself a 70$ budget. For my birthday I might allow myself to buy a high end item. Right now I know I'm going to but a lipstick if I go to MAC (none nearby).

I've never set myself a budget in the conventional sense when it comes to makeup. I more or less buy what I'm really interested in, or based on whether I've found the quality of a product to be very good OR if I love a product & know I will get a lot of use out of it. Price has started to play less & less of a role in my decision-making when it comes to cosmetics, although I take a serious look at how much product I'm getting for my money, as well as the quality of the ingredients AND the packaging. However, I don't do stupid things like buying entire limited edition collections just for the sake of having all the products in that line, especially when I know I'm very unlikely to use every single product in that collection, and especially when other people are hyping something up. For me, buying into the hype usually leads to serious disappointment. I've learned my lesson (looking at you, Urban Decay, Benefit, NARS etc). For example, a week+ or so ago, I spent approximately $400 at Chanel on some limited edition items for spring & a few more items from their static collection. But I only bought what I was 100% sure I will use & absolutely love. I didn't need, or even want, the entire collection. Only 1 product is going back because of quality issues. Then last night, I picked up another limited edition blush from a different brand - Lise Watier- that is really unique in terms of design, is very good quality in terms of pigmentation, has incredibly beautiful packaging and offered a lot of product for the money (10 grams for $32). I left the rest of the products in the LE collection behind, even though everything was gorgeous, because I knew that I'd be very unlikely to use those shades as well as the fact that I've already got many of those colors in my collection. So, yes, my decision was partially based on money in the sense of value & quality for price & not tossing money at products I knew I wouldn't use. However, had I loved everything & known I'd be using it all a lot, I definitely would've bought it all. Just want to mention, though, that I'm just as likely to buy products with much lower price tags - such as drugstore brand cosmetics like Revlon & Rimmel, providing the quality is there & I'm receiving a good amount for my money. Brand snobbery is ridiculous. Going to do a little bit more makeup shopping today, actually :)

I budget on makeup but it isn't by choice LOL.. when it comes to bills and family events I find that my money goes straight towards responsibility and thennnnn I can shop for myself ... I limit myself to about $30 every 2-2 1/2 weeks ... I may even just spend less then $50 in the month.. I don't live by a sephora or MAC counter so a lot of my purchases are drugstore. my high end purchases are usually online buys .. but online deals can be great !! I think it just varies on what I really want versus just buying because of a trend..

I used to! Well it was mostly a general monthly budget of $150 that my hubby and I decided on, to spend as I wish but, being makeup obsessed, it always went to makeup. Now I am trying to be more selective on what I will spend my money on, and having so much stuff, I don't feel the need to get anything else. I do think though that once I allow myself to get something, it will be items that I have thought long and hard on about whether they are needed, if I have anything similar, quality of product as well as how much bang I am getting for my buck.

I have a monthly budget that covers makeup and beauty-related expenses. There are months that I go over but I either "pay it back" in future months or just know that I went over-budget and that means I have that much less to put in savings. Having a monthly budget, for me, means that I carefully weigh my big purchases, plan to stock up during F&F sales, Chic Week, and so on, and know exactly when I have money to splurge because I feel like it. 

I re-evaluate my budget based on the previous year's expenses once a year. If I was always far under for a month's spending, then I adjust it down. If I was always over, I might adjust it up or look at what I was spending it on. (Budgeting software, it makes all of this possible.) 

I'm not super-comfortable talking dollar amounts but I will say that I have a "no credit on beauty supplies" rule. I don't want to max out credit cards on beauty products. I will only spend from my bank account - or in the case of Nordstrom, where they have a reward program, I spend on a Nordstrom card that I immediately pay off. 

Back